Cox Communications

Cox Communications Reviews in Chesapeake, VA

Updated Jul 16, 2014

Cox Communications President Pat Esser

Pat Esser

Pros
  • Decent work life balance depending upon your manager(in 34 reviews)

• Benefits- subsidized cable and internet are good(in 32 reviews)

Cons
  • High Sales Driven or a non-sales position, company closed call center(in 19 reviews)

• Attainable, but sometimes at the risk of customer service(in 13 reviews)

25 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

One of the best companies that I have worked for where the business is truely devoted to employee loyalty.

RNOC Technician (Current Employee) Chesapeake, VA

ProsGreat Pay!
    Opportunity for Advancement
    Great discretionary benefit package
    Flexable Shifts
    Work-life balance

ConsSometimes there can be what I consider as unfair hiring practices. Position set asides and departmental favoritism. In addition, Cox has adopted a mediocre merit pay for performance structure that is a result of unclear performance evaluations and metrics standards. There are many organizational restructurings and consolidations in order to meet the demands of a struggling economy within today business market.

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelop strategies to be more involved with the team.

Cox Communications Employment Branding Specialist responded to this review

Jun 16, 2014

We are so happy to read that you are having such a positive experience in your career at Cox. We encourage you to share any feedback that you have with your manager regularly.

Good place to work

Technical Support Representative (Former Employee) Chesapeake, VA

ProsReduced bill on employee Cox accounts, good employees w/wealth of knowledge.

ConsDealing with difficult customers, being restricted in some things we had to do, being bullied on phone sometimes by customers.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrain your customer-facing employees to become resistant to bullying tactics.

Good Management Poor Sales Management

Professional Security Consultant (Former Employee) Chesapeake, VA

ProsThe freedom of being able to set your own schedule and work from home

ConsI was number 5 in the company for 2013 in Jan-Feb I was number 1. I got sick in march, then my aunt passed away, I missed two weeks out of them month and they fired me due to corporate performance goals that say you're fired for one bad month. Needless to say I had never been coached or written up for performance before this.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Inside sales

Inside Sales Representative (Former Employee) Chesapeake, VA

ProsWas a decent company to work for. Nice facility to work at. Potential to double low hourly rate.

ConsThe management was like , us against them team.

I was working for Cox Communications for 4 months

Technical Support Representative (Former Employee) Chesapeake, VA

ProsThe people there were very friendly. Training was extensive. It was for 7 weeks. Employees were able to work from home. Cox also provided free stuff for employees to view.

ConsI received this job through an employment agency so there was no commission. Although training was extensive, it was very unprepared. For example, the instructor wanted to talk to us about getting sales after we came back from lunch. However, some of my classmates felt like they needed more training on the computer system. The rest of the training about sales went out the window.
     I was not allowed to be in any discussion about 401K or anything that was related to the regular Cox employees. In addition to that, my supervisor only gave me feedback face to face twice.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive more face to face feedback about the calls

Cox Communications is full of promises that they made no effort to keep

Retention Representative (Former Employee) Chesapeake, VA

ProsSalaries are decent and employees were overall very nice . The company is community minded and has a large percentage of long-term employees.

ConsMy training was sub-par and they were unprepared for the class which was also very large. They made a lot of promises at hiring and in training that were not kept. They changed their focus so that every department had mandatory sales goals (even tech support) and took focus away from customer service.

Technical Support Rep

Technical Support Representative (Current Employee) Chesapeake, VA

ProsGreat co-workers in tech support, everyone is very helpful, friendly, and like to keep positive - no drama. The supervisors are all great people. Great benefits. They love feeding us. If you have patience with all sorts of customers troubleshooting isn't too bad.

ConsToo much stress now on meeting sales instead of the job title of tech support. I really enjoyed working here at the beginning in July 2012, but within the past few months the rules have changed and I feel like I'm only valued if I install a new product.

The sales goals and time adherence do not feel rational to keep up with each month. A lot of customers calling into tech support already have cable, internet, and phone. If they don't, they more often decline to add because they say they either cannot afford it or they are more focused on their real reason for calling, which is to fix their issue.

Another aspect to the sales focus is that employees get praised just for keying a new product install. This could mean you're installing services again for someone who had a non-pay disconnect or they are transferring to a new address. When workers key these orders they are praised for making a sale, when really it just landed in their lap. If you weren't lucky enough to have one of these instances during the month and weren't able to convince a customer to add a new product you're left feeling like you're doing your job wrong or not trying hard enough. I've received kudos weekly from customers who thought I did a great job troubleshooting and went out of my way to help them, but in the end that isn't the goal anymore.

The role as a tech support rep is enough as things change every day here, so adding sales is too much. I'm looking for other work as I'm tired of having sales jammed down my throat.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake the sales focus away from tech support. We want the job in tech support to help people and problem solve. It's too stressful with the new rules that were activated this past month. I don't like feeling like I'm not doing a great job/am going to loose my job if I try all month and wasn't able to sell something.

Friendly people but a company slow to change and very hard to make change happen when not located in Atlanta

Marketing Intern (Former Employee) Chesapeake, VA

ProsGreat people, benefits (if you choose to work their full time), and culture

ConsSlow paced, are slow to adjust and innovate in their category. There is a lot of room for improvement but it just seems to be overlooked

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your field offices and tailor things to each market vs. rolling out campaigns from HQ

I appreciate the growth that lies within the company.

Revenue Assurance Specialist (Current Employee) Chesapeake, VA

ProsThe hours and pay were reasonable

ConsIt was not geared toward my educational background.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement was decent, depending on the department you work in.

Good company, cox business Hampton Roads is a bad division

Senior Account Executive (Former Employee) Chesapeake, VA

ProsJob security, some really good co-workers, there's not really anything else I can say that's nice. They used to have a good bonus structure but that's been removed

ConsPay, advancement, arbitrary metrics, lazy middle managers, the bonus structure is punitive for sales reps, they keep reorganizing reporting structures so employees keep getting mixed messages on what should be the focus of our jobs to help the company excel

Advice to Senior ManagementStress customer service OVER metrics

Worked for Cox Communications? Contribute to the Community!