Cox Communications Reviews in Chesapeake, VA

Updated August 28, 2014
3.4

Cox Communications President Pat Esser
Pat Esser

Pros
  • Decent work life balance depending upon your manager (in 34 reviews)

• Benefits- subsidized cable and internet are good (in 33 reviews)

Cons
  • High Sales Driven or a non-sales position, company closed call center (in 19 reviews)

• Lots of pressure to sale and the actual quality of customer service didn't matter anymore (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights

28 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great company.

Current Employee - Client Support Specialist  in  Chesapeake, VA
    Current Employee - Client Support Specialist in Chesapeake, VA

I have been working at Cox Communications full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Friendly co-workers and good benefits. Management is easy to work with and VP's are very personable. Training is available to those who seek it.

Cons

Recent layoffs and transformation have made the company feel unstable and is left many employees wondering and waiting to see if their job is impacted.

Great company, not so great supervisor

Current Employee - Tech Support Customer Care  in  Chesapeake, VA
    Current Employee - Tech Support Customer Care in Chesapeake, VA

I have been working at Cox Communications full-time for less than a year

Pros

Benefits are great, MAJORITY of people you come across are very very very friendly, and will help you however whenever. Going from working at one company for 12 years to coming there, I ended up being way more comfortable than I thought I would be because everyone was so nice. Pay was better than what I expected.

Cons

Our trainer was great, but with the amount of people that were in the class, you didn't get a lot of time to ask as much as you wanted to. The training doesn't really prepare you for the REAL calls you are going to take. I took the job having a very very strong customer service background, and not much technical, and one thing to remember is customer service over the phone is WAY different than in person. Customers are more likely to talk to you like a dog even if youre being as nice as pie to them, because they don't have to look at you face to face .Something I wasn't expecting, when I genuinely wanted to help the customers. Customers can cuss you out, and they aren't going to do anything about it. Had lots of mandatory overtime which for some people can be great, but others with a life would think otherwise.

Practice what you preach.. plain and simple. Don't be a manager if you aren't a people person, and act like you are only there to get ahead of the game and not actually help your employees.

Don't believe the hype

Current Employee - Technical Support Representative  in  Chesapeake, VA
    Current Employee - Technical Support Representative in Chesapeake, VA

I have been working at Cox Communications full-time for more than a year

Pros

Decent pay, health benefits to some extent, 401k match to 6%, nice people for the most part, some supervisors do try their best to resolve issues

Cons

Mostly unprepared training. Training material covered imbalanced. Minimal in-depth training about products, technology and troubleshooting. Majority of training spent showing where to find articles on how to fix issues in a program that often doesn't work, inaccurate or missing pertinent details then treated poorly by escalation team when calling for answers or some supervisors don't know (or want to help) when its taking 10+ min to reach the escalation team. We have brief team chats weekly on how to make more sales and save customers, but nothing addressing how to improve our core job role: troubleshooting. Mandatory OT weekly or get written up - doesn't matter what's going on in your life - Right-to-Work state = do OT or eventually fired. You get lots of paid time off but impossible to sched time off within immediate 1-2 month period. If you call out sick (legit or not)--1 occurrence--6 in rolling year gets you fired. Supvr teams spread apart & disconnected sup-to-employee rapport. Higher demand on sales vs. accurate troubleshooting/resolution. Many reps must share desks so no true sense of personal space. Field tech svc is HORRIBLE! Most subcontracted--SO MANY custs demand cox-empl field techs---even then those can be bad too! So MANY leave appts not checking all svcs work. Techs will close appts if got no answer from only 1 of 2 #s listed on the work order--custs try calling back asap & hear tech on another call--techs wont answer or call back but quick to cancel the apt. Little accountability w/subcontracting companies to represent Cox in a professional & *competent* way. Can't access most employee resources from home & ATL wont do crap. Call center software progs far outdated! Still on IE8. Corp has no interest launching update packages. So many probs w/cable svc!!! Contour & whole home network concept has too many problems. Most calls center around Contour fails. Cust promotions complicated, situational & confusing. Retention isn't 24 hours and you can cold transfer cancel calls to them. ATL squeezes money out of custs, life out of employees then pinch pennies as if they're looking to sell the company soon. This poorly executed restructure cost many jobs of longtime vets, took away community feel from custs & so much mix/match, inaccurate info for reps to sift through. Too many internal & external probs. Oh, and yes, they play favs.

ATL needs to improve how they prepare and execute company-wide changes. Exec mgmt. out of touch w/value and importance of healthy relationships btwn frontline sups & teams. VERY disconnected & sups more used like paperwork drones than leaders to a team. Need to improve how centers develop healthy & positive events to support the emotional welfare of employees in a high stressed work environment. Exec mgmt. needs to reconsider its subcontractor relationships and improve field tech accountability from partners. Exec mgmt. needs to relearn how to retain customers by providing product & svcs that work consistently, improving quality assurance company-wide & shifting weight from mandatory sales (from non-sales emps) to providing accurate svc w/indiv & team incentive for added *sales*.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good place to work

Former Employee - Technical Support Representative  in  Chesapeake, VA
    Former Employee - Technical Support Representative in Chesapeake, VA

I worked at Cox Communications full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Reduced bill on employee Cox accounts, good employees w/wealth of knowledge.

Cons

Dealing with difficult customers, being restricted in some things we had to do, being bullied on phone sometimes by customers.

Train your customer-facing employees to become resistant to bullying tactics.

One of the best companies that I have worked for where the business is truely devoted to employee loyalty.

Current Employee - RNOC Technician  in  Chesapeake, VA
    Current Employee - RNOC Technician in Chesapeake, VA

I have been working at Cox Communications full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great Pay!
    Opportunity for Advancement
    Great discretionary benefit package
    Flexable Shifts
    Work-life balance

Cons

Sometimes there can be what I consider as unfair hiring practices. Position set asides and departmental favoritism. In addition, Cox has adopted a mediocre merit pay for performance structure that is a result of unclear performance evaluations and metrics standards. There are many organizational restructurings and consolidations in order to meet the demands of a struggling economy within today business market.

Develop strategies to be more involved with the team.

Cox Communications Response

Jun 16, 2014Employment Branding Specialist

We are so happy to read that you are having such a positive experience in your career at Cox. We encourage you to share any feedback that you have with your manager regularly.

Good Management Poor Sales Management

Former Employee - Professional Security Consultant  in  Chesapeake, VA
    Former Employee - Professional Security Consultant in Chesapeake, VA

I worked at Cox Communications full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The freedom of being able to set your own schedule and work from home

Cons

I was number 5 in the company for 2013 in Jan-Feb I was number 1. I got sick in march, then my aunt passed away, I missed two weeks out of them month and they fired me due to corporate performance goals that say you're fired for one bad month. Needless to say I had never been coached or written up for performance before this.

Inside sales

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative  in  Chesapeake, VA
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Chesapeake, VA

I worked at Cox Communications full-time for less than a year

Pros

Was a decent company to work for. Nice facility to work at. Potential to double low hourly rate.

Cons

The management was like , us against them team.

I was working for Cox Communications for 4 months

Former Employee - Technical Support Representative  in  Chesapeake, VA
    Former Employee - Technical Support Representative in Chesapeake, VA

I worked at Cox Communications as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

The people there were very friendly. Training was extensive. It was for 7 weeks. Employees were able to work from home. Cox also provided free stuff for employees to view.

Cons

I received this job through an employment agency so there was no commission. Although training was extensive, it was very unprepared. For example, the instructor wanted to talk to us about getting sales after we came back from lunch. However, some of my classmates felt like they needed more training on the computer system. The rest of the training about sales went out the window.
     I was not allowed to be in any discussion about 401K or anything that was related to the regular Cox employees. In addition to that, my supervisor only gave me feedback face to face twice.

Give more face to face feedback about the calls

Cox Communications is full of promises that they made no effort to keep

Former Employee - Retention Representative  in  Chesapeake, VA
    Former Employee - Retention Representative in Chesapeake, VA

I worked at Cox Communications full-time for less than a year

Pros

Salaries are decent and employees were overall very nice . The company is community minded and has a large percentage of long-term employees.

Cons

My training was sub-par and they were unprepared for the class which was also very large. They made a lot of promises at hiring and in training that were not kept. They changed their focus so that every department had mandatory sales goals (even tech support) and took focus away from customer service.

Technical Support Rep

Current Employee - Technical Support Representative  in  Chesapeake, VA
    Current Employee - Technical Support Representative in Chesapeake, VA

I have been working at Cox Communications full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great co-workers in tech support, everyone is very helpful, friendly, and like to keep positive - no drama. The supervisors are all great people. Great benefits. They love feeding us. If you have patience with all sorts of customers troubleshooting isn't too bad.

Cons

Too much stress now on meeting sales instead of the job title of tech support. I really enjoyed working here at the beginning in July 2012, but within the past few months the rules have changed and I feel like I'm only valued if I install a new product.

The sales goals and time adherence do not feel rational to keep up with each month. A lot of customers calling into tech support already have cable, internet, and phone. If they don't, they more often decline to add because they say they either cannot afford it or they are more focused on their real reason for calling, which is to fix their issue.

Another aspect to the sales focus is that employees get praised just for keying a new product install. This could mean you're installing services again for someone who had a non-pay disconnect or they are transferring to a new address. When workers key these orders they are praised for making a sale, when really it just landed in their lap. If you weren't lucky enough to have one of these instances during the month and weren't able to convince a customer to add a new product you're left feeling like you're doing your job wrong or not trying hard enough. I've received kudos weekly from customers who thought I did a great job troubleshooting and went out of my way to help them, but in the end that isn't the goal anymore.

The role as a tech support rep is enough as things change every day here, so adding sales is too much. I'm looking for other work as I'm tired of having sales jammed down my throat.

Take the sales focus away from tech support. We want the job in tech support to help people and problem solve. It's too stressful with the new rules that were activated this past month. I don't like feeling like I'm not doing a great job/am going to loose my job if I try all month and wasn't able to sell something.

Worked for Cox Communications? Contribute to the Community!