Cox Communications

Updated January 25, 2015
3.4

Cox Communications President Pat Esser
Pat Esser

Pros
  • They truly do have a good work/life balance as a whole company (in 39 reviews)

• Benefits- subsidized cable and internet are good (in 37 reviews)

Cons
  • Pay is lower in the call center than other similar companies nearby (in 18 reviews)

• Upper management has their own agenda without giving clear strategy to the team (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

COX Communication

I have been working at Cox Communications

Pros

Great skill acquired, if you work hard

Cons

forced overtime, heavy with occurrences aquired

NONE

Great people, good company. Worked in Sales.

Former Employee - Sales in Wichita, KS
    Former Employee - Sales in Wichita, KS

I worked at Cox Communications

Pros

Compensation was good, but always changing how it was done over the years. People are great and most management seemed to really care about you.

Cons

Constant changes in metrics and inaccuracy in how they attained the info.

Simplify the ways you score employee metrics. Develop a more consistent method.

Very diverse company with opportunities however, you have to be ambitious and identify your path to success that suits you.

Current Employee - Account Executive in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Cox Communications full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The benefits are average in comparison to most major corporations but you can't forget the perks and the above average pay based on various roles. You choose your path and go after it with amazing support from leadership. Character, attitude, and networking plays an intricate part of being successful and highly encouraged at Cox Communications while embracing the values of the company. In addition, if you're in a role that you identify doesn't suit you, leadership is available to assist in finding something more appropriate for you. The company provides employee benefits on day one including the provision of free services such as Internet, video, and an acceptable rate for phone and home security services. The training is remarkable and sets individuals up for success. Cox believes in work-life balance and I can assure you most companies aren't giving you vacation the day you start like Cox does at approximately 4 weeks per year for the first 5 years of employment. Cox has an employee assistance program (EAP) for many things such as adoption, counseling, and even discount programs for computers, vehicles, and other sweet deals you will identify when employed. Cox also have their own university where you can continue to learn at your own pace and in some cases, the courses are worth college credit. In addition to the benefits offered, Cox provides tuition reimbursement just over 5K per year that I recommend everyone take full advantage. Lastly but not least, you are treated with dignity and respect regardless the position. For the most part, people are friendly so much you never know if you're speaking with a peer or leadership because the respect as a person exists no matter the role.

Cons

The transition phases into "Center of Excellence" (COE) has been a major challenge for many groups and departments. Many have lost career long positions and moral is at an all time low from my experience but I am hopeful because as in the past, Cox for the most part made things right. Growing pains are never exciting but sometimes we have to see the bigger picture and identify its not all about "ME". While there have been a great deal of departments being dissolved, Cox presented opportunity for employees to find other employment within the company. When moving from one department to another for growth, many times over, you will have to take a substantial pay cut depending what department or position you're coming from and going to. This makes it difficult when you have a family to provide for and find yourself stuck in a role you've grown old of and want to experience more of the dynamics of other areas Cox have to offer or what you may be able to contribute to. However, I do understand how doing this could be difficult given the skill set of the individual seeking other opportunities.

Be transparent in all situations and allow individuals to decide if this is the place for them. Identify a means of maintaining pay as an individual transitions to another department.

Company getting too large for its own good

I have been working at Cox Communications

Pros

Competitive Pay and Great Benefits,

Cons

Job Security, Regionalization and Consolidation. loss of employee and customer focus

Dont forget about the employee or the customer

Very good experience

I worked at Cox Communications

Pros

Great company culture and working environment

Cons

No major concerns to report

I worked at Cox Communications

Pros

Good Benefits
    Competitive Salary
    Good work environment

Cons

a lot of changes
    outsourcing
    Consolidation of duties

Great place to work

Current Employee - Solutions Specialist in Fort Smith, AR
    Current Employee - Solutions Specialist in Fort Smith, AR

I have been working at Cox Communications

Pros

Benefits from day one, competitive commission!!!

Cons

Being open til 7 is lame

none

Not a good place to work.

Former Employee - Maintenance Tech in Virginia Beach, VA
    Former Employee - Maintenance Tech in Virginia Beach, VA

I worked at Cox Communications full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

They have a 401k and benefits.

Cons

They don't pay unemployment Because they have lobbyist working for them. they change your working hours at a whim.

Good company that, like others, is going through tremendous change.

I worked at Cox Communications full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits, pay, growth opportunities. Now that the reorganization is almost complete should be a safe place to work.

Cons

Competition from other providers, bad press due to rate increases. No cable discount if you don't like in one of the markets.

Contractor

Current Employee - Executive Assistant
    Current Employee - Executive Assistant

I have been working at Cox Communications

Pros

I wasn't treated as a contractor. Everyone looked to me to do the job I was hired to do.

Cons

Some corporate events were not open to contractors while others were. If you're going to send out an email telling me about the event at least let me attend.

Speak with Work Force Logic and get PTO hours for contractors. All work and no play.....

Cox Communications Photos