Cox Communications

Updated November 26, 2014
3.4

Cox Communications President Pat Esser
Pat Esser

Pros
  • They truly do have a good work/life balance as a whole company (in 39 reviews)

• Benefits- subsidized cable and internet are good (in 37 reviews)

Cons
  • Pay is lower in the call center than other similar companies nearby (in 18 reviews)

• Upper management has their own agenda without giving clear strategy to the team (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

Cox used to be a great company, but now it's circling the drain.

Former Employee - Anonymous in Wichita, KS
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Wichita, KS

I worked at Cox Communications full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent benefits, time off, good work/life balance.

Cons

After the sisters that owned the company passed away, management changed and the focus seemed to be do whatever is necessary to sell the company so the money from the sale could be split and given to the remaining heirs. At that point, upper management lost all concern for its employees. They just want to cash out with their golden parachutes, and leave the Cox employees to fend for themselves. Sad. Cox used to be a GREAT place to work! I don't think anyone could say that, now.

Try to live up to your supposed goal of being the "Most Trusted Provider" by allowing your employees to trust you as their employer. I have lots of advice but I think management only cares about their own survival and cashing out if they can find somebody to purchase the company, in a world where subscriber-based cable TV is on the way out. Thank God you still have internet subscribers!

Why did they hire me?

Former Employee - Project Manager I in Wichita, KS
    Former Employee - Project Manager I in Wichita, KS

I worked at Cox Communications full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Excellent benefits and pay. Great vacation benefits.

Cons

No support from immediate supervisor. Hired and worked there for three weeks. Got no direction or communication from my manager for the first two weeks. Boss was too busy to train, provide direction, or give any support. Third week, boss dumped several projects on me with no support or training. Basically was told how inept I was and what was I going to do to improve my skills. But not given any guidance on how to do so.

Don't hire someone that you are truly not interested in helping the employee develop his / or her skills.

You should have hired from within, and found someone who had Cox experience if you were not willing to train them.

Positive experience

Former Employee - Customer Care Professional in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Customer Care Professional in Omaha, NE

I worked at Cox Communications full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Numerous growth opportunities
    Free and deeply discounted products

Cons

During my tenure I experienced changes in leadership that may have been communicated better. Although there was no direct impact to my role, the changes were potentially distracting.

Continue to encourage and support your staff as you always have. Unlike the typical call center, each employee feels a high sense of ownership in the brand. Your direct feedback and actions craft the minds of your next leader in the organization.

Call Center

Former Employee - Account Services in Chesapeake, VA
    Former Employee - Account Services in Chesapeake, VA

I worked at Cox Communications full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Leadership was very helpful. Balance or work and family life very good. Get just about all of services for free. Opportunity for advancement if you want it.

Cons

Pay could be better but free services are considered part of salary.

Not a bad place to work, if you have to do call center work.

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Cox Communications full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Free Cable and the work from home program.

Cons

Cox centers of excellence seem like a poorly thought out strategy for the company.

Push out gigabit internet asap.

Good company to work for. Good pay but could be better for the talent you have.

Current Employee - Billing Applications and Process Support Specialist II in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Cox Communications full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

great benefits. Work environment is great. many different cultures. Able to learn from many different talents on the team and in various departments.
    work/live balance is good depending on the team your on.

Cons

if you start low in pay. it take a miracle to get to where you should really be.
    politics some time play more of a role than the players on the team. make it hard some time just to focus on the work and the customer.
    hard to advance within at the corp site. its not about talent its about who you know more than anything. Miss out on devoted talent.
    Friends with leadership gets you promoted.. not so much about the talent.

pay your personnel what they are worth or you will begin to loose then to company that will pay them. see the potential in the people you have and harness their talents so that they excel and in the end make you as their leaders look good.

Great place to work

I have been working at Cox Communications

Pros

Great environment
    Co workers are friendly
    Benefits are good
    Lots of ways to be involved with the company and with the community

Cons

Politics are the same at any call center and the stats are unrealistic.

Excellent Employee Benefits

Current Employee - Sales Leadership in Rancho Santa Margarita, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Leadership in Rancho Santa Margarita, CA

I have been working at Cox Communications full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent employee benefits! Insurance (Medical, Eye, Dentist, Life) cost me around $10 per paycheck as a single person. Cable, Internet, and Phone service for next to nothing. I've seen several "transformations" (aka re-orgs) and, although I feel they happened way too often, the company truly takes care of its employees by offering generous severance packages--they even offered interview tips and training, hosted on-site job fairs when large groups were impacted, and gave ample notice in most situations. They value hiring from within--even from the front line. I was lucky enough to be promoted twice over the course of a couple years which is a testament to my leadership whom helped shape my career and prepare me for the future.

Cons

As with any large company (telecommunications in particular), lay-offs have unfortunately occurred all-too-often over the last 2-3 years. Large lay-off decisions seem to have been rushed (or made by inexperienced senior leadership), as the new structures often aren't ready to operate at 100% by the date that the impacted employees leave. It's clear that the executive decision makers at corporate aren't very familiar with the field. This is reflected by the poor decisions made re: policies and programs. Any initiatives that (eventually) get approved take way too long to come to fruition due to the many hoops that corporate makes the field leadership jump through. Most of the field leadership is excellent; however, some are stuck with old-school philosophies and management styles that do not mesh with professional in their early 30's.

Center Management should be required to spend 1 day a month in the field doing side-by-sides with front line employees so that they can make informed decisions, influenced by the people who interact with customers most and are responsible for forming the company's image. Exempt employees that are individual contributors without direct reports should be offered more flexible work schedules, including the option to work from home. Cox is lucky to have very talented employees--make sure you keep them by offering more competitive salaries. Competitors usually offer 10% higher pay--don't lose dedicated employees over such small amounts. The benefits are great, but they don't pay the bills.

Great I really loved it

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Tucson, AZ
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Tucson, AZ

I worked at Cox Communications full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great I really loved it

Cons

Great I really loved iy

Good company overall

Former Employee - Technical Support Representative in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Technical Support Representative in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Cox Communications full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Compensation and benefits active day 1.

Cons

Mandatory overtime everyweek was exhausting

Cox Communications Photos