Cox Communications Reviews

Updated October 15, 2014
3.4

Cox Communications President Pat Esser
Pat Esser

Pros
  • They truly do have a good work/life balance as a whole company (in 38 reviews)

• Benefits- subsidized cable and internet are good (in 37 reviews)

Cons
  • Pay is lower in the call center than other similar companies nearby (in 16 reviews)

• Lots of pressure to sale and the actual quality of customer service didn't matter anymore (in 16 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company

I have been working at Cox Communications full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Just overall a great company that takes care of its people.

Cons

No cons at this time

Great company.

Current Employee - Client Support Specialist in Chesapeake, VA
    Current Employee - Client Support Specialist in Chesapeake, VA

I have been working at Cox Communications full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Friendly co-workers and good benefits. Management is easy to work with and VP's are very personable. Training is available to those who seek it.

Cons

Recent layoffs and transformation have made the company feel unstable and is left many employees wondering and waiting to see if their job is impacted.

One of the best companies to work for.

Current Employee - Customer Service
    Current Employee - Customer Service

I have been working at Cox Communications full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Available leadership when needed. They are flexible with time off and you receive plenty of hours throughout the year.

Cons

To continue working locally, you must now work from home.

Continue to take care of the employees as you do, through rewards and incentives.

A company trying to stay afloat dying a slow painful death.

I worked at Cox Communications full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Pay & benefits are good. Work/life balance ok. That about all I can say other than it pays the bills.

Cons

Upper management is clueless. For a telecommunications company they still have stone age thinking. Refusing to let many telecommute and work from home, forcing them to come in to the office to work or forcing them to move to other cities to keep their jobs. Most of which are places you wouldn't want to live much less visit. It is as if they don't trust their employees to work & be productive unless they are under the watchful eyes of leads and supervisors. Management refuses to give resaons that certain site were chosen, just saying that it was a decision that was made at a corporate level. Upper Management keeps talking about department being transparent with one another but will not take their on advise. Cox says it want to be a leader in the telecommunication industry but has never been the first to develop & deploy a new technology to their customes, but rather takes another company's product and rebrand it to a Cox product with modification then deploy it to the customer before all the bugs have been worked out leading to frustrated customers threatening to leave. Job titles and promotions vary greatly between markets and advancement opportunities seem to be dependent on who you know and not what you know.

Read the statements above.

Poorly Managed

Current Employee - Universal Home Technician Expert in Rancho Santa Margarita, CA

I have been working at Cox Communications full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Best reasons for working here: it is close to home, pays the bills & I have been here over 15 years. Benefits are above average, but honestly there is little more than that. Cox knows jobs are hard to find & they use that against you.

Cons

CONS: where do you start? Management, Management, Management...... This company was the leader 20 years ago, they operated locally under a national umbrella, we were given the opportunity to deliver customized service to our unique customer base. We were treated as people NOT numbers, there was a "Family" aura about how business was conducted with the Customer first approach & Employee 2nd which is how the business thrived. Now it is "said" to be Customer first but the lack of good management direction & decision has shown the product does not have the "Customer first" reaction.
    I am in the field & a highly experienced technician. This product is put out with the knowledge it is below par & problematic. The attitude of "quantity over quality" has decimated this company. Employees are now just numbers & customers are the guinea pig. Netfilx is taking customer base when we could easily offered a "on demand" monthly download what ever you want product vs. $4-10 per event!
    Management does not care to treat us as people, just numbers, using the excuse "it comes from corporate". The company has out sourced the jobs to non-Cox CSR's who do not care how they treat the customer, they are constantly trying to put people on written warnings to lower their pay or scare them away from speaking up.
    This company will soon be bought out & upper management personnel will get their "golden paracute" while the hard working people who want to earn an honest dollar are left out.
    Look @ the multiple CEO's, they went from family members @ the top to cutthroats.
    We used to have employee appreciation days, picnics, holiday parties, product launches, etc......

Any company who has: A Customer base with the income of San Diego, Orange County, Palos Verdes, Santa Barbara & cannot make money is obviously in the wrong business or runs it just like the Government & milks what they can then leave the carcass to rot!
    I used to love my job, but you can only love something so much when it does not love you back, very disappointed. This was once a top shelf company, but this is what you get when you hire based on who's your buddy not who's best for the job.

Get all new people & understand these are people you are treating like this, you have eliminated over 700 jobs just on the west coast! This is a sinking ship & YOU HOULS BE ASHAMED TO HAVE AFFECTED SO MANY LIVES that you didn't need to if you make better decisions & slow your greed!

Complete waste of life. Least trusted provider.

Former Employee - Customer Advocate in Wichita, KS
    Former Employee - Customer Advocate in Wichita, KS

I worked at Cox Communications full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Back 2007-2009 Cox was a family company

Cons

They work you like a dog. If you ever want to take back a previous job expect the starting salary. Tenure means nothing. All I asked for after 7 years was a consistent schedule. I exceeded goals made MVP and many other awards but at the end of the day it never got me the schedule I wanted or the money I think I was worth. They need a union

Allow union into your business. Allow tenure to mean more especially for the ones still exceeding your expectations. Tell the truth when you lay off 200 employees in Kansas. You lost me forever as an employee and a customer.

Financial Analyst I

Current Employee - Financial Analyst I in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst I in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Cox Communications full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great company values, really supports employees and community. They also have great employee benefits and a pension. Good work and life balance.

Cons

There is a lot of transformation in the company right now. Upper management keeps information pretty close to the cuff, so it's hard to anticipate what will change. However, I don't feel like the company would drop down hard news on you without plenty of warning.

Very good place to work

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Cox Communications full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Given a lot of leeway to make decisions, very good work-life balance, promote personal growth and learning, office hours are based on what your need to do to get your job done. Many great people work at the company, and I feel the company genuinely cares for their employees. Good benefit package and very fair compensation. Not afraid to make major changes for the long time benefit of the business.

Cons

Probably nothing unique to Cox, but just regular 'big corporation' things such as politicking and the excessive use of Consultants. It always amazes me when I see people hired into positions to then turn around and hire consultants to come in and do the job the person was hired to do.

I have a lot of respect for our upper management. I feel they do the best they can in provide steady communications to employees, and respect the intelligence of our leadership as well as the direction we're going in as a company.

Great to work for

Former Employee - Inbound Sales Representative in Fort Walton Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Inbound Sales Representative in Fort Walton Beach, FL

I worked at Cox Communications full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Benefits, pay and opportunities were fair.

Cons

Call center closed in the area.

Awesome company

I have been working at Cox Communications full-time

Pros

Great company, culture and values that provide consumers with what for many are considered absolutely indispensable services like TV, Internet and telephone. I also find it very comforting the degree to which the company places its top priority on the needs of the customer.

Cons

The biggest challenge is keeping up with the increasingly rapid pace of technical innovation and constantly evolving needs of today's customer.

Cox Communications Photos