Cox Communications Reviews

Updated August 28, 2014

3.5

Cox Communications President Pat Esser
Pat Esser

Pros
  • Decent work life balance depending upon your manager (in 34 reviews)

• Benefits- subsidized cable and internet are good (in 33 reviews)

Cons
  • High Sales Driven or a non-sales position, company closed call center (in 19 reviews)

• Lots of pressure to sale and the actual quality of customer service didn't matter anymore (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights

Best company I've worked for

Current Employee - Inbound Sales Representative  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Inbound Sales Representative in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Cox Communications full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great company with leadership that really cares about your growth and profitability. Everyone is invested in your success great culture and fellow employees. Even though my department is moving out of state and I won't be here much longer they have done everything well to help the transition go smoothly.

Cons

It is difficult to get hired without good experience or references from current employees. Hiring process takes longer than I thought but that seems to always be the case with large companies. Moving my department out of state.

Keep up the good work. Very impressed with the job you are doing.

Great company to work for. Wonderful working environment.

I worked at Cox Communications full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great place to work, laid back atmosphere and wonderfully, caring coworkers.

Cons

Can't think of any as I was very satisfied working there but there was a layoff that caused many to lose our positions because we didn't want to relocated to where our current job was repositioned. Me, I didn't want to move to the desert and didn't want to move further north, where my position was sent. If it was positioned further south, I would have stayed with the company as I truly liked my job.

I have no advice. I think that management is great and they do the best for both the company and the employees.

Great Company and Great Career

I have been working at Cox Communications full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Cox is a great company to work for and a good career for anyone willing to work hard.
    -Good pay.
    -Good Benefits.
    -Extremely discounted services for cable, internet and phone.
    -Management and Directors in my group are approachable and fair.

Cons

Consolodations in the regions have pushed jobs out of many regions, and limited opportunities anywhere but Atlanta.

Keep doing what you are doing.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great work environment - easy to advance if you work hard

Current Employee - Account Manager  in  Wichita, KS
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Wichita, KS

I have been working at Cox Communications full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great benefits, pay was generous, true open door policy, fantastic environment to work in, internal advancement opportunities

Cons

People hate cable companies, current position requires spontaneous travel.

All they is provide lip service

Current Employee - Uht
    Current Employee - Uht

I have been working at Cox Communications full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Pay and benefits are decent. Better than most. Free cable and internet

Cons

They treat the techs like crap. They keep adding more responsibilities with no raise in pay and fewer and fewer tools to accomplish tasks. Severely understaffed and management makes it clear they want even less of us and more contractors. Made numerous changes that were suppose to make job easier. Instead it made job even harder. No chance for advancement

Listen to the techs. We are front line employees. Some person who has never worked in the field or has been out of the field for so long they have no clue what is going on is the one making the policies for field service.

Great company to work for...

Current Employee - Inbound Sales Representative  in  Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Inbound Sales Representative in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Cox Communications full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Pay is great, benefits are awesome!

Cons

Not much room for advancement, no pay raises. They say if you want to make more, then sell more which doesn't reward people for staying with the company.

Great company, great pay

Former Employee - Universal Home Technician  in  Chantilly, VA
    Former Employee - Universal Home Technician in Chantilly, VA

I worked at Cox Communications full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Management makes genuine efforts to keep their people happy. Great training/onboarding for new hires. Wages increase nicely with time - 50% increase in about 3.5 years.

Cons

Can sometimes feel like you are in high school the way policies are implemented and enforced. Customers generally are a drag too.

Need more opportunities for senior employees to transition into new roles / departments. Far to common for people to stagnate and get perma-stuck as field techs because they've got nowhere else to go internally and the pay is easily better than anything else they can find externally with their unique skillset.

Inbound sales- laid off employee.

I worked at Cox Communications

Pros

There is a cafeteria. Pay was good but that changed. Incentives were really good too. Again... Change... I gained skills at this position to further my sales career and ultimately increase my salary in the insurance industry. This was a 85k position for me.. WAS.

Cons

They got tired of paying us too much in Cali and az so they shipped our jobs to the scum areas of the US to lower costs. This place hires sales managers from outside only. This keeps distance from agents and sups. They route good transfer calls to the people who slam phone service on people. All of the top performers regularly lie to customers to make sales. Very shady at the top. But they keep you in as long as you produce. Customer service is out the door in this department. In the end it was either take 10k less per year and transfer to the worst cities in the us to keep your job or the door. Incentives were diminished and cuts were made in commission to save. The commission structure too complicated to figure out therefore it was easier for management to change it and screw agents.

Hire managers from within. You will see a large increase in sales volume. Just because your top agents out earn management doesn't mean some of us wouldn't have taken a pay cut to get off the phones to share our skills. Too many well qualified employees are being scouted out by top companies in the valley.

Cool people..... Easy job.. DON'T WORK HERE, TRUST ME

Former Employee - Account Manager  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Account Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Cox Communications full-time for less than a year

Pros

Some of the people are cool to work with, but besides that, not many pros to working at this company

Cons

Low pay, no room for advancement, discouraging work environment, with no incentives. No morale, everyone hates the work and the job. Nothing but data entry. Don't appreciate people.

Pay higher salary to employees who work their buts off for the company. Leadership sucks, the cream of the crop usually realizes they can do better and moves on to better opportunities. The company sells advertising space on small local markets, but they do little digital, and no little about that realm. Not too much faith in the future of this company. Oh yea, you can get a promotion unless you know the managers or friends with family.

Poor Communication to Front Line Employees

Current Employee - Dispatch  in  Rancho Santa Margarita, CA
    Current Employee - Dispatch in Rancho Santa Margarita, CA

I have been working at Cox Communications full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Pay and Benefits are good. If you can maintain your numbers the money is there. Company does try to provide great customer service.

Cons

Workload since the company reduction began is a lot to handle. I found myself working off hours to keep caught up. Too many uncertainties with all the combining of offices.

The managers that are left are so stressed out worried about their jobs they are unapproachable. Tension is at an all time high

Worked for Cox Communications? Contribute to the Community!