Cox Communications

Updated Mar 11, 2014

Cox Communications President Pat Esser

Pat Esser

14 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great feedback from supervisors, always willing to further your career.

Inbound Sales Representative (Current Employee)
    Wichita, KS

ProsGreat pay and benefits for employees.

ConsDepending on position, not always the best hours for everyone.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep living Cox values!

Above-average experience with a solid company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Wichita, KS

ProsThey really take care of their employees. Benefits aren't anything extraordinary, but there are lots of perks, including more PTO than most companies, paid volunteer time, thorough training time.

ConsConstant change is one thing, but constant changes in management is another. It's difficult to build a working relationship with a manager when he or she is transferred after a couple months, promoted, or quits. The turnover is incredibly high.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe open with your employees about what is going on. The rumor mills are constantly churning, and employees would rather hear tough truths from management than make up their own ideas about what's happening.

Decent Company

Universal Home Technician (Current Employee)
    Wichita, KS

ProsGood pay, free cable and internet, great supervisors, currently changing coaching cards for the better, great PTO

ConsOver booked always, work orders almost always set up incorrectly so then your late for your next call, you work till your finished so its never a set time your off.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep heading the direction you are currently heading, which is to put the customers first rather then numbers.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company with unknown future

Director (Current Employee)
    Wichita, KS

ProsFree cable, phone and Internet service. Smart and team oriented co-workers. Interesting and fast paced industry. Autonomy for most roles.

ConsMature industry struggling to grow. Not the fastest to market with products. Constant price increases are contributing to customer loss. Hiring freeze across entire company (with few exceptions) is stressing out workforce. Lots of consolidations and reorganize right now is creating an increased political culture.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more transparent about selection process with reorganization efforts. Stop dual reporting and have all field functions report to corporate.

Great Company overall

Information Technology (Current Employee)
    Wichita, KS

ProsGood benefits, great people. A great place to start out.

ConsLimited learning and progression unless you are willing to move the dysfunctional corporate headquarters.

Great experience....until I was laid off.

(Former Employee)
    Wichita, KS

ProsVery focused on grooming employees to promote them, employees are all treated fairly. They provided a lot of educational opportunities for the several years I was there, pertaining to my job at the time.

ConsThere is little to no consideration for folks that have been employed for several years when it comes to layoffs. The higher the salary you have, the more likely you will be the one laid off if you are competing with another system team member during the merges. Beware of working at Cox if you want any sort of long term job, layoffs have been going on for years as they seem to be condensing into 1 small system.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to keep up the morale with employees, they are your life-blood and very loyal people. Stop kidding around and be honest with them, we all know it's currently a sinking ship with no clear strategy in sight. Plus, your prices are off the charts and make no sense in this struggling economy.

Trusted Provider?

Director (Former Employee)
    Wichita, KS

ProsVery good benefits, including retirement, 401(k), and employee "courtesy" services.

ConsSenior leadership is dishonest with employees. Consolidations/mergers are denied, denied, denied...until the emails go out announcing them. The distrustful, fearful environment causes employees to be distrustful of each other...so they stab each other in the back out of fear that someone may be doing it to them.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet out of the ivory tower and do something about the culture of fear you have created with your lack of transparency. Stop asking mid-level managers to lie to employees. Stop the employee satisfaction surveys unless you are truly willing to read them and look at yourselves in the mirror.

Tech Support

Tech Support Specialist (Former Employee)
    Wichita, KS

ProsGreat pay, benefits. Supportive co-workers and supervisors. The medical insurance was cheap, free services from the company. Lots of rewards. Lots of benefits on site. Our location had a gym and free soda.

ConsLong training, cubicle work, auto-in answering system (when you get a call, it beeps and you are in the call.)

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the employees. If something is not broken, don't try to fix it.

It was interesting at best. It can be very political if you don't know the right people.

Account Services Representative (Former Employee)
    Wichita, KS

ProsFree Internet, Cable and Telephone all you have to pay is for equipment and that is still at a discount.

ConsMandatory over time and it can be quite political.

Great company for whom to work, but wish they would be a bit more in the fore front of innovation.

Technical Support Representative (Current Employee)
    Wichita, KS

ProsGreat work atmosphere and the lower and middle management are really accessible. Once you are hired Cox is very loyal to you as an employee and really tries to treat you well.

ConsDifficult to advance, a lot of times it's more about who you know and brown nose rather than ability.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on HFC and Fiber advancements and opportunities rather than pie-in-the-sky things like wireless.

Worked for Cox Communications? Contribute to the Community!

Cox Communications Videos

Cox Communications – Why Work for Us?

Careers at Cox Communications Claim your seat and unleash your potential with a career at Cox today! We believe employees are our most important resource, and that's why we hire the best. It is with this belief… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Cox Communications reviews and ratings in Wichita, KS — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Cox Communications CEO Pat Esser. All 14 reviews posted anonymously by Cox Communications employees.