Cox Media Group

Updated October 10, 2014
Updated October 10, 2014
3.1

Bill Hoffman

Pros
  • They seem to care about the employees providing good benefits and pension (in 9 reviews)

• Great benefits that come with the job, health/dental/vision (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • At times hard to communicate with upper management (in 6 reviews)

• Very little recognition and low pay (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

18 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Close knit friendly atmosphere

Current Employee - SSA in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - SSA in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Cox Media Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The benefits and support for training opportunities is good.

Cons

However some opportunities are not open to all employees to help advance. And when does anyone have time to take some of these courses offered? Unless they are mandatory.

Cut some slack on work/life balance

A once great family company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Cox Media Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

A chance to work with strong TV/Radio/NP brands across the US.

Cons

A few years ago, Cox Enterprises sent in project managers to Cox Media Group to review various business units. The PM that came to review our group had no prior knowledge of our specialty, yet made recommendations to slice and dice people and positions (including our Sr. Director). Ultimately this PM was promoted to Sr. Director over the teams (shocker)... with absolutely no experience in our specialty. The groups were all looked at as generic widgets with random positions being cut, consolidated, and then recreated. One entire group was cut only to be outsourced to India (come on Cox, aren't you a family company??)

Growth is limited for employees and any of the perks that were available a few years back have disappeared... except for the free soda. I enjoyed most of my time with this company, but it went downhill in mid-2013 when the proverbial "s" started hitting the fan due to failed projects. Random staff changes started occurring and the rumor mill went wild.

Don't look at people as widgets, there is a lot of data that cannot be captured in spreadsheets. Listen to the teams, keep on top of trends, check salaries comparative to other ATL companies, and improve the healthcare benefits (again, Cox is a family company... why are the health insurance benefits so poor?)

Mixed Bag.

Former Employee - Traffic/Continuity in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Traffic/Continuity in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Cox Media Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Immediate supervisor was outstanding. Loved my co-workers.

Cons

Pay was marginal at best. Upper Management sorely out of touch with what goes on in the trenches. Worst HR Manager I have ever worked with in 25 years of work experience. Lots of cuts while I was there but in all the wrong places.

Stop cutting support staff and start axing some superfluous middle management.

Scheduling Nightmare

Former Employee - Traffic Coordinator in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Traffic Coordinator in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Cox Media Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The company consolidated all traffic positions in the city of Atlanta in an effort to make things more efficient - I applaud this effort.

Cons

It seems when the campaign fulfillment center was started it wasn't quite thought out. There were not enough people hired and your scheduled changed every month, with shift start times ranging from 6 a.m. to noon, which makes it very hard to live life outside of work if you have to be at work at 6 a.m. one month and noon the next.

More consistency toward processes. Don't work the employees to death to make the markets happy and be more open to what employees are suggesting.

Very tough sales, pays well but a high level of stress. Only the top 5% of salespeople can perform well enough here.

Current Employee - Account Executive in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Cox Media Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Pay, product offering, management, benefits.

Cons

Stress level, monthly quota (it's about what you did this week) some very shady salespeople allowed to wrk here.

Hire more professional salespeople who perform as part of the team, more support on leads, give more kudos to the few individuals who actually do meet quota and support the company. Reduce the stress level, provide more valid leads direct to the performing salespersons.

Inexperience confused by the modern age.

Current Employee - Software Developer in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Cox Media Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Full-time telework and flexible work hours are fantastic. Very friendly team. The old-timers are willing to help new hires learn and grow. Great place to start your career out of school. Good starting pay and benefits.

Cons

This is a company of ancient relics racing toward a destination they don't understand in an attempt to outrun obsolescence. Project leaders have never worked in big software before - setting unreasonable deadlines and punishing the team for not meeting them. All the key knowledge and responsibility is placed on only a few of us, yet we are not rewarded at all. Countless 60-70 hour weeks with no bonus, no raise, no promotion - nothing. Going the extra mile on special after-hours projects is ignored and sometimes even discouraged.

The organization has recently introduced a massive layer of completely unneeded middle management to help grease the wheels on modernizing their CMS product. The problem is that none of the people they hired to run the show have any background in big tech - and I mean absolutely none. All from small outfits with only a few years experience with large software systems - if any at all. This is classic case of message passing and 'delegating' to appear looking busy, when the bulk of the actual work is done by a very small corp of us. This is well known in the team too and demonstrated by very high turnover - let me put it this way, an 'old-timer' is someone who's stuck around over 2 years. Sad.

Don't look for career advancement here - there is none.. at all. There are some who have been waiting for their shot at management for many many years and were completely passed up for inexperienced new hires who talked a good game, but are proving to be totally incompetent and overbearing. Proof that the hiring process is laughable at best.

Sever all this wasteful and antagonistic middle-management. Layers and layers of 'managers' who contribute nothing but get all the power. Require reading the following of all management: The Mythical Man-month by Fred Brooks. Also, top leadership should consider reading The Peter Principle: Why Things Always Go Wrong - because it exactly outlines everything you are doing wrong and how you are not the first to make these mistakes. You had and still have a lot of great talent in your ranks, but you have no idea what to do with them - better figure it out soon before the rest of us leave too.

Run out the door, DON'T WALK.

Former Employee - Software Developer in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Cox Media Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There is a free soda pop cooler, and a free coffee machine. You can pick the equipment you prefer to use.

Cons

Management is directionless, lost promises, claims to be open source friendly - but a completely adverse to investing into open source. Management is young, and unproven. As leaders they leave a lot to be desired for Senior and Seasoned engineers/developers.

Hire some real talent in the management pool. Stop pretending to foster a culture that care, and actually implement it.

Nothing exceptional about this company

Former Employee - Systems Analyst in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Systems Analyst in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Cox Media Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very good benefits. Good work / life balance

Cons

my observation on the IT side - too many meetings. There are meetings to decide future meetings. Not much opportunity for career advancement. Salaries are below market.

Need to improve pay and make it close to market.

Corporate Marketing Professional who supported many sales teams with various marketing strategies. Building client base.

Current Employee - Marketing in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Marketing in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Cox Media Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Opportunities will come your way if you are innovative and adapt to change and consolidation.

Cons

Unstable industry to consider but a competitive environment and much opportunity.

Last Place You Want To Work

Former Employee - Advertising Sales in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Advertising Sales in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Cox Media Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Base salary is ok if u can like on 40k

Cons

Old products, over priced, poor training, always new flavor of the month.

Cox Media Group Photos