Cox Media Group

Updated August 14, 2014
Updated August 14, 2014

3.2

Bill Hoffman

Pros
  • They seem to care about the employees providing good benefits and pension (in 9 reviews)

• Great benefits that come with the job, health/dental/vision (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • At times hard to communicate with upper management (in 5 reviews)

• Very little recognition and low pay (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Very good experience as a consultant on several projects over last several years.

Current Employee - Media Consultant
    Current Employee - Media Consultant

Pros

Smart managers, open to new ideas. High quality of communication. Good cooperation from every employee involved in the research, exercise or training program. Company clearly sets high standards for professionalism from everyone. Have kept in touch with several for networking and mentoring; and happy to do so.

Cons

60-90 days turnaround time on payment. So high up-front investment.

I was impressed to hear - and see - commitment to development of staff and their career opportunities. Also, this company is giving more than lip service to work-life balance.

Great Place to work

Current Employee - Account Executive

Pros

The company invests in the tools the sales people need to win! They do a lot of hiring from within which is always a plus if you want advancement. Benefits are great.

Cons

Nothing stands out as something that can't be expected with working with a growing company. Lots of changes, but all for growth opportunities.

Continue to fight for your sales reps.

Great experience

Former Employee - Media Consultant  in  Dayton, OH
    Former Employee - Media Consultant in Dayton, OH

Pros

The culture, employees, and opportunity to make really decent money.

Cons

Middle-management seems a bit lost on the direction and how to figure out revenue producing initiatives.

Good employees are leaving left and right because there is a constant sense of uncertainty in their daily roles. The job itself is stressful enough- no one wants to wonder whether or not their position will still exist day-to-day.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good Experience

Pros

Actually "doing" my job was fun, politics were not

Cons

Everyone is trying to move up and will do anything to do so

Scheduling Nightmare

Former Employee - Traffic Coordinator  in  Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Traffic Coordinator in Atlanta, GA

Pros

The company consolidated all traffic positions in the city of Atlanta in an effort to make things more efficient - I applaud this effort.

Cons

It seems when the campaign fulfillment center was started it wasn't quite thought out. There were not enough people hired and your scheduled changed every month, with shift start times ranging from 6 a.m. to noon, which makes it very hard to live life outside of work if you have to be at work at 6 a.m. one month and noon the next.

More consistency toward processes. Don't work the employees to death to make the markets happy and be more open to what employees are suggesting.

Be careful what you wish for

Current Employee - Media Consultant  in  Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Media Consultant in Las Vegas, NV

Pros

If you have experience selling Radio or Television it would be a 50/50 shot

Cons

Little or no training, No guidance, no mentor program. Guppies will be eaten by sharks.

Learn to manage new hires, or don't hire those with little or no experience in TV
    No one manages talent they manage via spreadsheet.

Very tough sales, pays well but a high level of stress. Only the top 5% of salespeople can perform well enough here.

Current Employee - Account Executive  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Atlanta, GA

Pros

Pay, product offering, management, benefits.

Cons

Stress level, monthly quota (it's about what you did this week) some very shady salespeople allowed to wrk here.

Hire more professional salespeople who perform as part of the team, more support on leads, give more kudos to the few individuals who actually do meet quota and support the company. Reduce the stress level, provide more valid leads direct to the performing salespersons.

Great for gaining experience, not good for longevity.

Pros

The "family"-like atmosphere is inviting and teamwork is always encouraged. The benefits package is quite generous as well. The company allows you to learn a myriad of skills through their web site, which is great for those just starting out and in need of experience. There are opportunities to get tickets to concerts, events, shows and movie premieres for free. Free food is constantly coming into the building, if you like that sort of thing.

Cons

A massive push towards selling digital feels too little, too late in a world that has already adapted to these changes. Too much power is given to the sales staff. Creative people are not truly valued and are often stifled by churning out ads within very tight deadlines, which kills innovation. Communication within the company is very poor and major morale issues are either never addressed, or simply ignored. The salary is lower than average and due to this fact, it is difficult to hire new talent. Management is quick to talk about how well our company earns, and what high standings we have within our industry as a whole, yet that never seems to translate to raises and bonuses for support staff.

Eliminate the seemingly constant superfluous training sessions which focus on pushing initiatives that for employees in the 20th century, should already be common knowledge (example - if an employee does not understand the value of diversity and inclusion in the present workforce, then they have no place in the corporate world. It is not something to be "trained").

Inexperience confused by the modern age.

Current Employee - Software Developer  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Atlanta, GA

Pros

Full-time telework and flexible work hours are fantastic. Very friendly team. The old-timers are willing to help new hires learn and grow. Great place to start your career out of school. Good starting pay and benefits.

Cons

This is a company of ancient relics racing toward a destination they don't understand in an attempt to outrun obsolescence. Project leaders have never worked in big software before - setting unreasonable deadlines and punishing the team for not meeting them. All the key knowledge and responsibility is placed on only a few of us, yet we are not rewarded at all. Countless 60-70 hour weeks with no bonus, no raise, no promotion - nothing. Going the extra mile on special after-hours projects is ignored and sometimes even discouraged.

The organization has recently introduced a massive layer of completely unneeded middle management to help grease the wheels on modernizing their CMS product. The problem is that none of the people they hired to run the show have any background in big tech - and I mean absolutely none. All from small outfits with only a few years experience with large software systems - if any at all. This is classic case of message passing and 'delegating' to appear looking busy, when the bulk of the actual work is done by a very small corp of us. This is well known in the team too and demonstrated by very high turnover - let me put it this way, an 'old-timer' is someone who's stuck around over 2 years. Sad.

Don't look for career advancement here - there is none.. at all. There are some who have been waiting for their shot at management for many many years and were completely passed up for inexperienced new hires who talked a good game, but are proving to be totally incompetent and overbearing. Proof that the hiring process is laughable at best.

Sever all this wasteful and antagonistic middle-management. Layers and layers of 'managers' who contribute nothing but get all the power. Require reading the following of all management: The Mythical Man-month by Fred Brooks. Also, top leadership should consider reading The Peter Principle: Why Things Always Go Wrong - because it exactly outlines everything you are doing wrong and how you are not the first to make these mistakes. You had and still have a lot of great talent in your ranks, but you have no idea what to do with them - better figure it out soon before the rest of us leave too.

COX Media group is a great company if I can afford to keep working there.

Current Employee - Account Executive

Pros

Great resources, benefits and training. Intelligent, friendly co-workers. Attracts the best in their field. FREE CABLE, Internet phone and home security.

Cons

I'm an AE for an affiliate TV station which is a relatively new propertyfor Cox. During the last year as the great experiment we have had our commission cut by 11% on our core product, had our accounts shifted, rolled out new digitall "initiatives". We have been forced to tell our clients that their contracts are no longer good and we have to raise their rate. Many of us have lost business. My "new Business" goal is so high I can't reach it every month. I can't feed my family on the pay I'm making. 4%. I applied for food stamps today. When I left my salaried position for this job the phrase that the GM hooked me with "you'll be making 6 figures with me as your boss." We've never hit goal as a team. I donate plasma for gas money.

Let sales people sell. Micromanaging and filling the week several hours of meetings will only keep us further from our clients.

Worked for Cox Media Group? Contribute to the Community!