Cox Radio Reviews

Updated January 29, 2015
18 reviews filtered by
2.8
Bob Neil

1. Not bad if the sales manager is honest.

Former Employee - Account Executive in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Tampa, FL

I worked at Cox Radio full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Decent pay, are treated better than employees of other large radio companies.

Cons

Sales managers lie to you during the hiring process. They promise you a large account list before hiring you, then when you are hired, accounts on the list disappear.

Stop lying to sales job recruits about the account list they will be given upon starting with the company. Honesty is the best long term policy.

2. Not honest

I worked at Cox Radio full-time (less than a year)

Pros

They don't hound you daily to get more business. They ultimately expect you to get more business, but unlike other radio companies, don't hound you mercilessly in the meantime.

Cons

I started in a November time frame, and I was promised a list of clients. However, I knew that clients reviewed and renewed or did not renew at the end of the year. I asked my upcoming sales manager what would happen if one or more left in the next few weeks (any leaving would not be my fault since that would happen a mere few weeks after i started). My sales manager told me he would replace them, but did not.

Be honest!

3. Great Pay But No Advancement

Former Employee - Executive Producer in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Executive Producer in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Cox Radio full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great Pay and tremendous opportunities to work overtime.
    Talented group of co-workers.
    The glamour of a "broadcasting job".

Cons

No advancement - same folks doing same things forever.
    When you start making too much, you get called into the PD's office with the HR lady.
    The will not offer you any letters of recommendation so if you are looking around, you better get your letters up front.

Don't promise employees advancement opportunities just to keep them around. Mean what you say and say what you mean.

5. Great Company to be part of, Great Culture, lots of history

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Cox Radio full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Part of Cox Enterprises, Inc, so benefits are decent.
    There is a great story to tell. company is continuously expanding

Cons

Unless you are part of top or middle management, salaries are so so

6. Great people and atmosphere to work in

Former Employee - Promotions Team in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Promotions Team in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Cox Radio part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

the company has high quality equipment, friendly staff, goal sharing emplyees who make working there a breeze. the stations are always coming up with new ways to reach new listeners.

Cons

Not really any cons i can think of other than the location is near the medical center in san antonio so traffic is always an issue.

7. It's a lifestyle

Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Birmingham, AL
    Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Birmingham, AL

I have been working at Cox Radio full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Fun job, meet new people, it's a lifestyle.

Cons

Very long hours at imes

8. Love the co-workers, not the industry

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Cox Radio

Pros

This is a great company as far as co-workers goes. I love going to work everyday. The atmosphere is always fun. The immediate management above my position is great, very understanding, helpful, and always willing to teach something new.

Cons

Unfortunately, there is a glass ceiling. The industry is cut throat as it is, and there is no encouragement from upper management for advancement. The last 4 positions lost this past month were all held by female employees. If you're not in the "Good 'Ole Boy" club, then don't even think about advancement.

Listen to your employees! Listen to your crew! It doesn't make sense to have a joc track from another city and then pay for a board op to sit there to play on their cell phone for the entire shift. You're losing your talent and your listenership and quite frankly, your crew that is actually out there with the listeners are getting the full blown complaints of how the station(s) are going to the dogs. You don't listen to what people want, and that's why your position in ratings is getting lost. You're losing your listeners and you're losing your employee's faith in the company. I do not stand alone in this.

It was like working at Melrose Placce

Former Employee - Account Manager in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Cox Radio

Pros

They have great station and the best training in the market

Cons

They are one of the lowest commission paid job in Radio in Jacksonville

They have the very BEST training it is a Radio first timers job!

Broadcast sales is a tough field, but if you're going to do it then Cox Radio is a great company to do it with.

Current Employee - Account Manager in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Cox Radio

Pros

(Orlando, FL) Management really was extremely proactive and sincerely helpful. An extensive amount of ongoing education opportunities available. Management does an amazing job of keeping people informed on company information, upcoming events, industry information, etc.

Really feels like a team environment where you will be publically congratulated by managers (even from other stations) for your accomplishments. Very encouraging and sincere.

Cons

- 100% commission-based, a lot of pressure especially when the economy is tight.
    - Expected to generate the majority of your business yourself, a lot of cold calling.
    - Because it's commission-based, it's a bit of a shark-fest amongst other account managers. Colleagues are ALL sales people so sometimes feels like you're in a frat house with all the BS and back talking. Must really REALLY like being around other sales people.
    - The industry itself (broadcast sales) is an extremely challenging field and takes a special kind of person. A car salesperson looking to take a step up would be a great candidate for this industry maybe.

Orlando office was amazing, keep up the good work!

If you want to work for corporate radio, Cox Radio is as good as any.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tulsa, OK
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tulsa, OK

I worked at Cox Radio

Pros

The workplace at Cox Radio is professional and most co-workers have good relationships with each other. The benefits are good and the company generally tries to equip employees to do their jobs. In my city, Cox Radio stations have the highest ratings and are the most-respected stations in town.

Cons

There is not always enough communication between managers and employees. Of course, managers are busy, but sometimes the lack of communication makes employees feel disconnected -- like they are a less important part of the team. This is one area where smaller, locally-owned radio companies have an advantage over big national companies.

Senior Management has a tendency to micro-manage what is going on at the local level, instead of relying on competent people who are closer to the situation.