Cox Radio

Updated Jan 28, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Bob Neil

Great people and atmosphere to work in

Promotions Team (Former Employee)
San Antonio, TX

I worked at Cox Radio part-time for more than 3 years

Prosthe company has high quality equipment, friendly staff, goal sharing emplyees who make working there a breeze. the stations are always coming up with new ways to reach new listeners.

ConsNot really any cons i can think of other than the location is near the medical center in san antonio so traffic is always an issue.

Not bad if the sales manager is honest.

Account Executive (Former Employee)
Tampa, FL

I worked at Cox Radio full-time for more than a year

ProsDecent pay, are treated better than employees of other large radio companies.

ConsSales managers lie to you during the hiring process. They promise you a large account list before hiring you, then when you are hired, accounts on the list disappear.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop lying to sales job recruits about the account list they will be given upon starting with the company. Honesty is the best long term policy.

Great Pay But No Advancement

Executive Producer (Former Employee)

I worked at Cox Radio full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGreat Pay and tremendous opportunities to work overtime.
Talented group of co-workers.
The glamour of a "broadcasting job".

ConsNo advancement - same folks doing same things forever.
When you start making too much, you get called into the PD's office with the HR lady.
The will not offer you any letters of recommendation so if you are looking around, you better get your letters up front.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't promise employees advancement opportunities just to keep them around. Mean what you say and say what you mean.

Great Company to be part of, Great Culture, lots of history

I have been working at Cox Radio full-time for more than 5 years

ProsPart of Cox Enterprises, Inc, so benefits are decent.
There is a great story to tell. company is continuously expanding

ConsUnless you are part of top or middle management, salaries are so so

It's a lifestyle

Sales Assistant (Current Employee)
Birmingham, AL

I have been working at Cox Radio full-time for more than a year

ProsFun job, meet new people, it's a lifestyle.

ConsVery long hours at imes

Love the co-workers, not the industry

San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Cox Radio

ProsThis is a great company as far as co-workers goes. I love going to work everyday. The atmosphere is always fun. The immediate management above my position is great, very understanding, helpful, and always willing to teach something new.

ConsUnfortunately, there is a glass ceiling. The industry is cut throat as it is, and there is no encouragement from upper management for advancement. The last 4 positions lost this past month were all held by female employees. If you're not in the "Good 'Ole Boy" club, then don't even think about advancement.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees! Listen to your crew! It doesn't make sense to have a joc track from another city and then pay for a board op to sit there to play on their cell phone for the entire shift. You're losing your talent and your listenership and quite frankly, your crew that is actually out there with the listeners are getting the full blown complaints of how the station(s) are going to the dogs. You don't listen to what people want, and that's why your position in ratings is getting lost. You're losing your listeners and you're losing your employee's faith in the company. I do not stand alone in this.

It was like working at Melrose Placce

Account Manager (Former Employee)
Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Cox Radio

ProsThey have great station and the best training in the market

ConsThey are one of the lowest commission paid job in Radio in Jacksonville

Advice to Senior ManagementThey have the very BEST training it is a Radio first timers job!

Broadcast sales is a tough field, but if you're going to do it then Cox Radio is a great company to do it with.

Account Manager (Current Employee)
Orlando, FL

I have been working at Cox Radio

Pros(Orlando, FL) Management really was extremely proactive and sincerely helpful. An extensive amount of ongoing education opportunities available. Management does an amazing job of keeping people informed on company information, upcoming events, industry information, etc.

Really feels like a team environment where you will be publically congratulated by managers (even from other stations) for your accomplishments. Very encouraging and sincere.

Cons- 100% commission-based, a lot of pressure especially when the economy is tight.
- Expected to generate the majority of your business yourself, a lot of cold calling.
- Because it's commission-based, it's a bit of a shark-fest amongst other account managers. Colleagues are ALL sales people so sometimes feels like you're in a frat house with all the BS and back talking. Must really REALLY like being around other sales people.
- The industry itself (broadcast sales) is an extremely challenging field and takes a special kind of person. A car salesperson looking to take a step up would be a great candidate for this industry maybe.

Advice to Senior ManagementOrlando office was amazing, keep up the good work!

If you want to work for corporate radio, Cox Radio is as good as any.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Tulsa, OK

I worked at Cox Radio

ProsThe workplace at Cox Radio is professional and most co-workers have good relationships with each other. The benefits are good and the company generally tries to equip employees to do their jobs. In my city, Cox Radio stations have the highest ratings and are the most-respected stations in town.

ConsThere is not always enough communication between managers and employees. Of course, managers are busy, but sometimes the lack of communication makes employees feel disconnected -- like they are a less important part of the team. This is one area where smaller, locally-owned radio companies have an advantage over big national companies.

Advice to Senior ManagementSenior Management has a tendency to micro-manage what is going on at the local level, instead of relying on competent people who are closer to the situation.

Radio experts

Remote Coordinator (Current Employee)

I have been working at Cox Radio

Prosthe experience you can gain from veterns of the business

Consvery hard to gain full time employment with benefits

Advice to Senior Managementnone at this time..

Worked for Cox Radio? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Cox Radio reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Cox Radio CEO Bob Neil. All 17 reviews posted anonymously by Cox Radio employees.