CoxHealth

Be The First To
Add Photos

CoxHealth President & CEO Steven D. Edwards

Steven D. Edwards

Best hospital in Springfield, but the bar is low

Registered Nurse (Current Employee) Springfield, MO

ProsThere are some great people scattered throughout the organization, at every level.
    Great learning opportunities.

ConsRN Pay is $15,000-$20,000 below national average unless you have 20+ years of experience.
    Organization is historically top-heavy (though the new CEO appears to be properly trimming)

Advice to Senior ManagementBe willing to listen to the bedside staff, empower and reward them. Stop benchmarking salary based on the hospital you used to be and start looking at the hospitals you hope to emulate.

It's not the job, it's the people

Phlebotomist (Current Employee) Springfield, MO

ProsThe people who work here don't do it for the money.
    The company will higher some jobs with pending certifications, or those who don't have one.
    A decent stepping stone

ConsOverworked
    Underpaid
    The administrative staff don't seem to appreciate their employees

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees better and your retention will be higher. The, "we can find 50 people off the street to replace you" mentality discourages the competent people from working for you.
    Give a cost of living raise to your employees. (We haven't had one in over 10 years.)

Good company to work for, but non-competitive salaries.

Medical Technologist (Former Employee) Springfield, MO

ProsI loved the people I worked with--great team atmosphere. Hated to leave the people and environment--greawt learning environment.

ConsThe salary doesn't compare to the national averages at all. Cost of living increases were rare and a joke.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

This is a very hierarchail organization that should spend more time worring about patient care.

Manager - Administration (Former Employee) Springfield, MO

ProsThey encourage friendships with co-workers and the lower-level management really cares about the employees.
    They offer a wide variety of benefits to employees.

ConsThere are too many layers of management to go through to get anything done. With such a big organization, one can feel lost in the shuffle.
    They are down-sizing and many employees are getting their jobs eliminated with little or no notice at all.

Advice to Senior ManagementShow you care about your employees by listening to them instead of making up reasons why the employee surveys come back with low scores. Please take some ownership in it.

Looking for a way out

Food Service (Current Employee) Springfield, MO

ProsNot many and the count keep droping

ConsAlways short handed never replaced missing employees superior do not help just sit in office and let people who do not work get away with it and make the people who do work do more tovover no tthought is put in to changes working for cox food service is a joke the worst raises I have had at any job

Advice to Senior ManagementListening to employees who are the ones doing the work trust that we have some knoof how things work and won't work

Poor working environment

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsCox has very good (expensive) benefits, and it's a large, respected healthcare system. They have state of the art equipment and competent providers.

ConsPoor management in the clinical setting. Numerous employees went to HR to get help with manager, but nothing changed. The work is enjoyable, but the environment is not.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake employee complaints seriously.

Average place to work

Nurse Educator (Current Employee) Springfield, MO

ProsStrong community values. Supportive coworkers.

ConsNo support from Sr Management. No clear mission and values to work towards. Individual strengths not considered due to cookie cutter approach. Starting salary low.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen implementing change solicit input from the staff who does the work. Value individual strengths of employees.

Cox Health

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsCox is a large employer in the Springfield MO area. They offer decent wages and opportunities to advance.

ConsCox needs imporvement on education opportunities for those who want to become nurses and expand funding for scholarships for employees.

My job description changed over time without the opportunity for staff to change accordingly.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Springfield, MO

ProsVery community oriented and peers were close and supportive.

ConsDuring change staff input is not valued or solicited by senior leadership. Employees are just a number and expendable. The mission and vision of individual departments are vague so it is difficult to accomplish goals. There is no job security and individuality is not promoted. Anyone can be working there one day and gone the next for no apparent valid reason. Seniority means nothing.

Advice to Senior ManagementPerhaps before making changes you should solicit input from the employees who are actually doing the work. Please make your goals clear and communicate the plan for change before initiating the transition. Informed employees make better employees. Value the strengths of your current employees before looking outside of the organization. Retention of good staff should be a priority.

Healthcare provider

ProsBig employee in the area
    Lots of locations they have expanded buildings and locations

ConsMore than average turn over of staff

Worked for CoxHealth? Contribute to the Community!