Crabtree & Evelyn Reviews

Robert J Ditchfield

1. sales associate

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Wrentham, MA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Wrentham, MA

I worked at Crabtree & Evelyn part-time (More than a year)

Pros

small store, great team, great discount, love the product

Cons

not enough traffic didnt like packaging changes

Advice to Management

ou were great!

2. nice people, home office needs to better communicate

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at Crabtree & Evelyn as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

good people to work with
    solid brand that has international recognition
    employee discount on products

Cons

no communication between departments
    lack of organization
    low salary

Advice to Management

Communicate and give feedback to employees
    be more transparent

3. I worked at Crabtree & Evelyn part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The opportunity to enjoy working with clientele and associates.

Cons

First few years rewarding, later part company constantly low on product, empty shelves. Very seldom were you able to meet the needs of returning customers and new ones

Advice to Management

In store management was fun to work with, upper management need to work in our shoes for a while and make the goals with very little product

5. Crabtree is going down...

Current Employee - Selling Supervisor

I have been working at Crabtree & Evelyn part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Hours are flexible for school. Great discount.

Cons

I have been working with this company for 3 years and have been told that if you meet your quotas every year, you will get a raise. I have made my quota and every year and have received nothing. In addition, I get paid the least. The associates I train get 50 cents more than I do. When I asked management about this they responded "that is the new hire pay rate and it is not in the budget to give you a raise." I used to get 25-30 hours when I started working here, and now I get up to 15 if I'm lucky. HOW ARE WE SUPPOSED TO LIVE OFF OF 15 hours a week at minimum wage?! They recently got rid of our monthly bonuses and I won't be surprised if they get rid of our annual one too. There are no incentives to get employees motivated, no growth, and no moving up in the company.

Advice to Management

Provide your employees with some type of incentive whether it be a monthly incentive or a small raise for all the hard work we do. Sales associates are more than cashiers. We do inventory, store cleaning, transfers, run back and forth to our offsides to take the product, and more. This company needs to show their appreciation and respect for their employees.

Overall ok company to work for if you're just looking to make some extra money.

Former Employee - Keyholder in Columbia, MD
    Former Employee - Keyholder in Columbia, MD

I worked at Crabtree & Evelyn part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Most products are well made. The product knowledge manual is very helpful when explaining the benefits of usage. The discount is great and the foot traffic is low so you're not stressed like other high volume retailers. These are small boutique like stores with a handful of staff. Request your days off in advance.

Cons

Low pay and slow foot traffic so there's not much to do. I worked there part-time evening/weekends for 1 year and we were only busy during the holidays. Upper management set unreasonably high sales goals.

Advice to Management

Management should increase pay and bonus to maintain quality staff and remain in competition with other stores that sell like products.

7. Selling Supervisor

Current Employee - Selling Supervisor

I have been working at Crabtree & Evelyn part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good discount on a product that makes great gifts.

Cons

No brand awaremess in my area which equals no traffic in the store. Unrealistic sales goals on days when the store has little to no traffic. Can be very boring. Lack of training. Computer systems are slow and you fill in reports that the company should have the software to create.

Advice to Management

When opening in an area that you have virtually no brand awareness do some local marketing. Newspapers, direct mail etc.... Also, make it a priority to train employees from the beginning. Your employees are your link to the customer. The representation of your brand.

Great brand recognition, lack of vision and direction for the future.

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Crabtree & Evelyn full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very good benefits program, solid compensation package, strong sales & marketing team. Opportunities for growth throughout the world in multiple channels; retail, wholesale, and online.

Cons

Lack of leadership and vision for future growth. Turnover in c-level leadership and a lack of urgency to fill the voids and provide direction to the company. 6 month gap with no CEO-level leadership.

Advice to Management

Define a direction and support a vision for growth.

this company is changing and not for the better

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Crabtree & Evelyn full-time

Pros

discount, a lot of the customer are lovely to assist, also you receive plenty of time off to have a life outside of work

Cons

Where to begin.....? Currently this company is under going a lot of changes that is producing heavy internal issues. There is an extreme lack of respect for their employees and the teamwork concept has given way to a cutthroat atmosphere where every man is for themselves.

The corporate office's latest idea is to hold the store's accountable for making their sales. Not necessarily a bad thing, unless you look at the basic fact that 80% of their stores don't make their sales with any form of regularity. And, at the present time simply can't. The problem with this is that you could make your sales month after month, but the first one where you don't make your sales you will be written up. Two more months of not making your sales and they will terminate you without exception. Once again...80% percent of the stores don't make their sales regularly, which means the life expectancy of a Crabtree employee is currently 3 or possibly 4 or 5 months.

The customer base of Crabtree and Evelyn seems to have moved on to other stores and after analyzing data, most stores are attempting to make their sales with approximately 20-50% less customers this year. The brand is practically extinct and the name Crabtree doesn't mean anything anymore. It's only known for selling high priced goods marketed for middle aged women, who simply no longer have hundreds of dollars to spend there anymore.

The future of this company doesn't look good. After having closed down approximately half of their stores over the past several years, it appears they may have to continue and simply close them all unless they can manage a quick turn around.

Advice to Management

Take responsibility for your own actions and stop trying to pass your transgressions to your employees. Incompetent

LOVE this job!

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Crabtree & Evelyn full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The customers, the products, the atmosphere & freedom in not being micro-managed!

Cons

Nothing negative to say. All companies have some negatives, but they are outweighed by the day to day joy of managing one of their stores.

11. No respect for employees

I have been working at Crabtree & Evelyn

Pros

Many of the colleagues are wonderful people and the free product is always a nice perk

Cons

Upper management is blind to the needs of the people actually making the company work on a day to day basis. There is no appreciation, raises are low (often lower than cost of living), and the expectations are unreasonably high.