Cracker Barrel

Cracker Barrel Reviews

Updated Apr 18, 2014

Cracker Barrel President & CEO Sandra B. Cochran

Sandra B. Cochran

Pros:
  • "Able to transfer to different locations, Flexible schedule, Half off meals when working,"
    in 20 reviews
  • "the only pros to working at this company are great people servers are great"
    in 12 reviews
Cons:
  • "Long hours, high stress at times, corporate micromanages"
    in 18 reviews
  • "Long hours, poor quality of life"
    in 6 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Step Up to the 20th Century

Store Manager (Former Employee)
East Chattanooga, TN

I worked at Cracker Barrel full-time for more than 3 years

ProsCustomers (usually people traveling through), Staff, and Discounts Offered

ConsComputer system needs to be updated. Team work would be a plus. Ask for days off to be with family, might get it might not. No set schedule. Split days off at times. At least 10 hour work days. No requested time off from Nov-Jan.

Advice to Senior ManagementJust because you can do courses on a computer doesnt mean you should become or even be considered for management. You either have management skills or you dont. Asked to be transfered to be with family and would never follow through. Tough to deal with at times, one sided. There is always two sides to ever story.

There isn't enough time spent with the customers on the restaurant side.

Hostess (Current Employee)
Shawnee, OK

I have been working at Cracker Barrel part-time for less than a year

ProsYou can move up Quickly. The management that trained me was very sweet.

ConsBeing a Hostess with a heart for knowing and caring about people, I see that they are moved through too fast. Not enough time spent with them, just moving them on through at a fast rate. I am not happy as a Hostess and am over whelmed. They know this and said that when they see people over whelmed, that they quit. The pay is low and when I stated that I don't how much I will make, they say we will get to that. A week of training and I had to find out how much I am making on this site.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you see an employee that is not in the right position, please put them where they will be happy. Happy employee's make happy customers. I am a people pleaser but not when I am stressed. I can not be there for them as I truly want to be if I am not myself.

I enjoy working there, I do CSR/retail sales/restock shelves, and greet guests

Sales Clerk (Current Employee)
Madison, WI

I have been working at Cracker Barrel part-time for less than a year

ProsI would like to work full time during the week days not every weekend like I am working now.

Conslearning new things, is always a great challenge to learn what goes on in different lines of work

Advice to Senior Managementshare work experience with others, give all people the chance to do different things.

Good Food, Bad Management

Cashier/Retail (Former Employee)
Burleson, TX

I worked at Cracker Barrel part-time for less than a year

ProsGood food and opportunity for growth

ConsManagement didn't care about workers which is why they have a high turn over rate. They're always hiring.

Dissatisfied

Rising Star/Par I Server (Former Employee)
Meadville, PA

I worked at Cracker Barrel part-time for less than a year

ProsUpward mobility, star program, ability to move to new areas.

ConsI was only scheduled for evening shifts and always had the back room. When I asked a manager to be moved around, I was still set to work in only one location or moved for one night. I had previous restaurant experience yet was still treated as though I had no ability or skills.

Advice to Senior ManagementMove people around more, get to know the new members of the team sooner to reduce employee turnover.

Management issues

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Cracker Barrel full-time for more than 8 years

ProsServers do not handle cash.

ConsYou do not get recognized for hard work only time employed

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn from Monica Smith.

One of the worst experiences in 30+ years of food service

Prep Cook (Former Employee)
Pell City, AL

I worked at Cracker Barrel part-time for more than a year

ProsSome of the mid level mangers understand their employees are people and treat them with respect. Training coordinators are very good.

ConsGeneral managers in some these restaurants can be very difficult.
No cohesiveness between shifts.
Difficult workload made worse by hour cutting on previous shifts.
Lots of burned out employees and some managers.
District managers never ask employees anything, creating even more of a disconnect between the "big dogs" and the "little dogs."
Kitchen training isn't cohesive with all employees.
Most positions are only part time.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you have a good employee, i. e. always shows up on time, works each and every shift, takes their their job seriously, it's really not necessary to belittle then at every opportunity.
Stop yelling at employees, this isn't the Army.
Hard work should be its own reward for the employee and the company. The way this company is structured there is no reward for being a conscientious employee.
Management shouldn't be so 'hour cutting happy' so they'll get their bonus to the detriment of the restaurant and shift workers that come after the ones who were sent home early.
If there's drama in the kitchen, be fair and realize who the instigator is and act accordingly when issues first arise.
If an employee asks a question, take a minute to listen and respond face to face instead of acting irritated and answering with an attitude as you walk away.
Cleaning standards and food safety leave a lot to be desired.

I love working in retail. The restaurant is scary.

Retail Employee (Current Employee)
Brentwood, TN

I have been working at Cracker Barrel part-time for more than a year

ProsGreat retail manager! Leads by example and jumps in where ever needed. She has been seen busing tables on days that we're slammed. She's been there for several years and could run the whole place in her sleep! PAR is a good way to get raises. Retail is fun, constantly moving and changing displays, new products, talking to new people, getting to know the regulars.

ConsThe restaurant is constantly ship without a captain. Waaaaay too much Restaurant Manager turn over... somehow this location has become the gateway for all managers. I've been there 2ish years and including the ones we have currently I've worked with restaurant 10 managers and that doesn't include the ones they "lend" to our store sometimes.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunication. Do it.

Server and Prep-cook

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Cracker Barrel

ProsStore manager was nice and professional. Typical serving job, your experience really depended on your attitude.

ConsLots of immature behavior from some employees and managers that made it feel uncomfortable. Lots of turnover.

Advice to Senior ManagementSome values weren't exactly carried through from management to workers.

Good Company

Hostess (Current Employee)
Plainfield, IN

I have been working at Cracker Barrel part-time for more than a year

ProsPretty simple job with decent enough pay

Conssmall checks from customers lead to small tips

Worked for Cracker Barrel? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Cracker Barrel reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Cracker Barrel CEO Sandra B. Cochran . All 384 reviews posted anonymously by Cracker Barrel employees.