Cracker Barrel

Cracker Barrel Reviews

Updated Jul 23, 2014

Cracker Barrel President & CEO Sandra B. Cochran

Sandra B. Cochran

Pros
  • Flexible schedule, always an item of the day to promote to talk about to customers(in 27 reviews)

• the only pros to working at this company are great people servers are great(in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours sometimes and the guest is always RIGHT so never insult a guest or you will be on the poop list(in 23 reviews)

• Getting anything close to full time is fairly difficult unless you are a grill cook(in 12 reviews)

mostly ok

Par IV Server (Former Employee) Mebane, NC

Prosmoney was usually good hrs flexible for the most part

Consno support staff servers are required to do everything and managers complain all the time

Advice to Senior Managementcompany expects employees to tell other employees how to do their job thats the managers responsibilty u have to much turnover because of this

Good part time work

Shift Leader (Former Employee) Dayton, OH

ProsNo alcohol served and you are able to cross train into other positions after 90 or so days most of the time to gain more versatility and hours.

ConsThe company is changing and has changed much. I hope they know what they are doing and everything turns out alright for the company in the long run.

Advice to Senior ManagementRegional vice presidents and home office... please assess your stores associate managers true work ethics and whether they know their job, along with the general and district managers integrity. Top executives, please decrease the amount of stores the regional vice presidents are each in charge of, ensuring they can focus on knowing what is truly going on in stores of their regions.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Great management

Hostess (Former Employee) Buffalo, NY

ProsGreat people to work with
    Decent money
    My bosses were really nice, understanding
    Flexible schedule while going to school

ConsInconsistent work hours
    Dealing with customers who have long wait times
    I did not eat the food

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Management

Associate Manager (Current Employee) Tampa, FL

ProsIndustry pay above the norm with great bonus potential. Opportunities to grow and transfer

ConsVery long day and no balance to life outside the barrel. Additional training support on your own.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhile your pay scale is above industry standard for management we are also employees. Take a balance approach and stop the 12 hour / 6 work days.

Associate manager

Associate Manager (Current Employee) Hardeeville, SC

Prosi started out as a hostess when i was 17. Lots of opportunities to move up. It paid my bills for a long time as an hourly. As a manager it is demanding. The development plan for managers is great. There are quarterly bonuses, 401k, stock options, and health benefits. pay is good.
    I was an hourly for 9yrs and a little over 2yrs as a manager

ConsGreat bosses are hard to come by. Long long hours. Very hard to balance life and work.

Friendly employees. Structured system.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe people that I worked with were great, but that would vary depending on location. The company actually offers some pretty good benefits considering it is in food services.

ConsIt's a restaurant, we had some high turnover. I don't necessarily agree with the serving structure that they require, like dropping a check within 5 minutes of a guest getting their food.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to limit favoritism in the workplace. You can drive away some of the quality new hires by showing favoritism to the older employees.

Very Steady Restaurant to work in

ProsAs a server, I make great money. Shifts are mostly fun and very fast paced. The managers at the Flat Rock, NC store are generally very flexible with scheduling. I have worked here through high school and college and was always able to come back whenever I needed to.

ConsAs with any restaurant, holidays are very difficult to have off. I have been with the company for almost 7 years and have tried very hard to move up with the company and it has proven to be close to impossible - even with tons of experience and a college degree.

good foot in the door for serving

Par III Server/Par III Prep (Current Employee)

ProsTheir training is so thorough, I'd say it's a great place to begin somewhere. No matter what area you're in, if it's your first job at all then it will really prepare you for other jobs. If you're looking to start serving but every other restaurant requires a couple of years experience, this is a really good start.

There are opportunities to move around to different areas in the store. Most locations have a very steady flow of customers so tables turn quickly. And due to how strict this company typically is, most other restaurants will love to have you if/when you choose to move on. If you fit in well at your location, it is a great environment to work in- very positive. Some of the company policies that you agree to adhere to include, "having a Pleasing People attitude" and most bosses want people who smile. Put that across a whole crew and it's usually just a very good experience. If you can smile and come across as truly happy to deal with a lot of stress, while moving quickly, then you can succeed at the Barrel.

I feel the compensation is fair for this job in front and back of house. I can't compare it to fine dining, but I've worked at something like the next step down from this (no drive thru, but no servers either) and I would say this definitely feels like a step up, as it should. In back I make more than I did at my old job after 3yrs and I'm not back there very often. Servers get the usual low hourly that varies depending on location, and unlike some other chains they do not require any tipsharing unless another server is actually serving a large party WITH you. We also are not our own cashiers, which is a bonus if you're new and/or are bad at making change.

They have some really great employee programs that remind me of when I worked for Walmart. It just gives you the impression that they care about your wellbeing even when you're not physically at Cracker Barrel, like you're at least partially important to them. And everyone I've met who doesn't work in a restaurant but rather does HR or something has just been really pleasant. All of the upper management seems wonderful, like they actually enjoy their jobs and just want things done by the book and their stores to be profitable and clean.

ConsIt is a Pro that you can move to new areas in the store if you like, but moving UP specifically is another story. As with a lot of businesses, in some locations this can be rather political.

My location has a couple of managers that are not always fair and respectful to employees and on some occasions even guests. The inner workings of the company make it pretty hard to get anyone in trouble who doesn't want to own up to their mistakes, and even though it's just two managers and not all five it still can make the entire place feel unwelcoming some days.

Server scheduling can be based very heavily on projected sales and fluctuates a lot. Management seems to care whether or not some people can make rent, but not so much about others. I was hired as Full Time and they acknowledge this, yet I consistently have less than 30hrs/wk.

Great company to work for.

ProsTraining, benefits, and culture- treated well

ConsHours are long and covers holidays.

Great place to make money if your willing to do the work!!

Shift Leader (Current Employee) Newport News, VA

ProsBeen serving there for about for about a year and am now a shift leader. I love the guests and the people who work there. Hard work but you have to be willing to make your money fast paced. Great potential to move up with a positive attitude and a smile on your face through everything! Even Saturdays and Sundays!! :) ;) :)

ConsA lot of work and you really don't have time for a life with full time work and full time student, a lot of competition

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember we're here to help you, were not here to destroy your shift! We like money too ;)

Worked for Cracker Barrel? Contribute to the Community!