Cracker Barrel

Cracker Barrel Reviews

Updated Jul 8, 2014

Cracker Barrel President & CEO Sandra B. Cochran

Sandra B. Cochran

Pros:
  • "Able to transfer to different locations, Flexible schedule, Half off meals when working,"
    in 23 reviews
  • "the only pros to working at this company are great people servers are great"
    in 13 reviews
Cons:
  • "long hours - typical waitresssing job"
    in 20 reviews
  • "Long hours, poor quality of life"
    in 6 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Love my regular guests

Cashier (Current Employee)

ProsThe people. I recently stopped working as much and I have to say the only thing I really missed was seeing my regulars. They are wonderful! I love getting hugs from the sweet older people and I love watching their grandchildren grow up. I love that I can make my own schedule. That's probably because I've worked at my store longer than most of the management staff has been there so they let me do what I want. I really do love my restaurant management team. I was pretty disappointed that none of them were able to come to my graduation considering half of them helped encourage me to finish. It was Mother's Day weekend and at a restaurant that means CRAZY TIME so they couldn't get away!!! There is also the no fraternization policy...

ConsThe people. Yes, the people are both one of the pros and one of the cons of working for this company. It is all about dealing with the public and some people are awesome while others are really rude and/or creepy. The raises don't happen as often as they should. The evaluations are sometimes based on personal opinion, rather than job performance. The retail management can take their time to give evaluations, or at least the most recent manager did. That won't be a problem anymore though. She was a great, pretty entertaining person but she was not the best at performing managerial duties.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive more opportunities to the people who actually deserve it and less to those who don't. Don't take over a year to fire a person who gets complained about within the first two weeks.

General Manager

General Manager (Former Employee)
    Aiken, SC

ProsPay was great as GM not so much for hourly employees or Associate managers

ConsLong hours, Senior Management cannot be trusted and do not care about the employees and managers out in the field bringing the brand to life and making their guests happy which they really don't care about either. This company will use you, and toss you out like yesterday's trash with out warning or following their own rules of conduct. I do not recommend this company to anyone at any level.

Advice to Senior Managementnone

My experience was great

Line Cook (Former Employee)
    Jacksonville, FL

ProsThe atmosphere was very positive and challenging

ConsChallenging time frame to meet all order exspectations

Advice to Senior Managementkeep up the great work

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Structured and fast-paced

Par IV Server (Former Employee)
    Indianapolis, IN

ProsFlexibility for work-life balance. Benefits. Great and valuable discount. Great and caring management that will be considerate of your needs. Great training.

ConsSometimes tips are slightly mediocre due to too many servers being scheduled to work at the same time. Also, getting off on time is often a problem due to lack of awareness from management.

I had a great manager and a great staff to help out when it got busy. I loved the Crittendon Drive Store

Cashier/Retail (Former Employee)
    Louisville, KY

ProsHelping the customers, Scheduling: I usually worked the same shifts every week. but when I needed to be off work I got it. The people I worked with still remember me.

ConsI didn't get the raises I was supposed to get

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember to give raises

Server

Par IV Server (Former Employee)
    Dallas, TX

ProsThere are very few benefits to working as a server. Sometimes every now and then you meet someone who is genuinely nice and not just thinking of their bellies.

ConsBad attitudes from customers and managers. Poor pay and coworkers that are not willing to put effort. Bad tips and lack of willingness to follow the structure established.

Worst job EVER

Associate Manager (Former Employee)
    Nashville, TN

ProsGreat pay, benefits, and staff. The best management training program I've seen. Every manager trains at their home office I Lebanon, TN for a couple of weeks to learn the kitchen without the stress of getting food served quickly

ConsTold during interview and training that the rumors of LONG crazy hours were a thing of the past and Cracker Barrel now has a work/life balance. Got out of training and was scheduled 70 hours/6 days my first 6 weeks and it wasn't because of a shortage of managers. My store had 6 managers!! Still expected me to go home and work on "projects" on my one day off! Was told I need to scream at the crew and treat them like dogs from my GM and my district manager. I don't work that way and I told them that during interview

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's restaurants. I understand there are long hours. But when you are fully staffed with managers there is no reason to regularly SCHEDULE managers 12+ hours a day/days a week

I wouldn't recommend it

Retail Associate (Current Employee)
    Memphis, TN

ProsThe scheduling is pretty flexible

ConsManagement sucks, good luck getting a break EVER.

One of the worse places I have ever worked at.

Cashier/Retail (Former Employee)

ProsWeekly paycheck, raises were easy to get, training was helpful

ConsToo stressful for no reason, odd hours being scheduled, too much pressure to be perfect, lots of favoritism, so many new products to learn with too little time to learn them all, management too concerned with covering their butts, management out of touch with customers and employees needs

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need to do a major makeover on the whole company culture. The rules and policies are out-dated and it ends up alienating the employees.

Misleading Reviews Give Wrong Picture

Dishwasher (Current Employee)
    Rehoboth Beach, DE

ProsSchedule was online
    50% off of food
    I got paid ~$9 an hour
    Not much else

ConsThe reviews here are completely different than my experience working for this company. If you filter by dishwasher in all locations almost all of them are really negative experience. I feel like some of the reviews have to be a plant by the company; it's just bizarre.

The issue is not that the job is dirty it's the indirect factors of the job that could be easily changed. As soon as I was hired I learned I was replacing 2 people who had just quit. That was a real red flag right away.

I've been working here about half a year and I'm lining up a different job. They don't give breaks, and on days that I didn't feel well they were unwilling to work with me so that I could get something to eat to stabilize my blood sugar. For a brief period of time I could eat while I worked but that went away quickly. My co-workers are uncomfortable to be around. The one will swear at management; and everyone seems to push and push us. Some of my co-workers organize various social events outside of work and of course it feels bad to be excluded.

When the rack of bus tubs is filled they stack them on the floor which is unsafe. I have slipped numerous times on trash / water etc. on the floor. They talk about me when I'm not there as well. I have a friend who works more frequently who informed me. Apparently I don't work as fast as they want, and thus "I don't do my job". I put 110% into every job regardless of how bad it is; and I'm always on time.

I feel unappreciated and uncomfortable working here. I cut back my hours and when I pick up other shifts they give me crap about it. They're really ungrateful, and I mean at some point don't you wonder why you constantly hire for a position... Your entire dishroom staff has turned over in 5 months...

One thing is for sure though here Management does get a break. The eat breakfast and dinner etc. and come give me their plates. The ignorance of that is staggering. It honestly reminds me of a factory job. The management at my store has no "real" experience managing a business which is highly problematic. I mean I know personally that one went to college for something completely different than business.

Beyond all of this, I have a real ethical problem with the store besides even the breaks. The employee's steal food. Every last one of them. Reading the companies Asset Loss article in PAR training is almost comical. The cooks, dishwashers, and servers. You'll see someone eating a pancake they obviously didn't pay for. And I got cussed at for paying for food with my low blood sugar.

It's just awful here. I say this not out of spite. Everything I wrote here is true, and most is a recount of specific experiences so it's not an opinion. Seriously consider applying elsewhere.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou have a serious loss prevention issue.

To the prospective employee do a quick Google search for Cracker Barrel no breaks and you will find various consumer complaint boards amongst the hits.

Worked for Cracker Barrel? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Cracker Barrel reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Cracker Barrel CEO Sandra B. Cochran . All 438 reviews posted anonymously by Cracker Barrel employees.