Cracker Barrel

Cracker Barrel Reviews

Updated Jul 23, 2014

Cracker Barrel President & CEO Sandra B. Cochran

Sandra B. Cochran

Pros
  • Flexible schedule, always an item of the day to promote to talk about to customers(in 26 reviews)

• the only pros to working at this company are great people servers are great(in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • long hours - typical waitresssing job(in 22 reviews)

• Getting anything close to full time is fairly difficult unless you are a grill cook(in 12 reviews)

Unfulfilling

Waitress (Former Employee) Fishers, IN

ProsGood training and lengthy introduction phase

ConsPoor communication and lots of gossip-not professional

Advice to Senior ManagementAct in a more professional manner

Worked to death

Restaurant Manager (Former Employee)

ProsSalary is not bad. Benefits package is pretty good.

ConsLots of 6 day weeks, compounded by those days being very long. Many restaurants run short on managers because of high turnover, leading to long days and long weeks. Also opening at 6am sucks.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Not a place for your career or children

Hostess (Former Employee) Murfreesboro, TN

ProsNot much. You receive a discount but it is not much

ConsMgmt- never took the employee side and never said good job but always had something you can improve on. They have too many rules and break them constantly. I had a manager friend quit and suggest I quit because there is not much room to grow and they are quick to fire.

Customers (guest)- pains. Old people or religious nuts who do not tip and complain

Pay rate- bogus

Product- food was heart attack on a plate. The store has over priced stuff you can get at Dollar General.

Advice to Senior ManagementGo back to the founding principles and get this company back in shape.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It was okay but it could've been better.

Cashier (Former Employee) Calhoun, GA

ProsThe best reasons are the schedule and pay for people starting out for young people or older people that are retired.

ConsManagment was unreliable sometimes and my boss was pushy.

Advice to Senior ManagementIn my opinion your doing a good job but when cashier, retail, host/hostess call for you come up sooner.

Love my regular guests

Cashier (Current Employee)

ProsThe people. I recently stopped working as much and I have to say the only thing I really missed was seeing my regulars. They are wonderful! I love getting hugs from the sweet older people and I love watching their grandchildren grow up. I love that I can make my own schedule. That's probably because I've worked at my store longer than most of the management staff has been there so they let me do what I want. I really do love my restaurant management team. I was pretty disappointed that none of them were able to come to my graduation considering half of them helped encourage me to finish. It was Mother's Day weekend and at a restaurant that means CRAZY TIME so they couldn't get away!!! There is also the no fraternization policy...

ConsThe people. Yes, the people are both one of the pros and one of the cons of working for this company. It is all about dealing with the public and some people are awesome while others are really rude and/or creepy. The raises don't happen as often as they should. The evaluations are sometimes based on personal opinion, rather than job performance. The retail management can take their time to give evaluations, or at least the most recent manager did. That won't be a problem anymore though. She was a great, pretty entertaining person but she was not the best at performing managerial duties.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive more opportunities to the people who actually deserve it and less to those who don't. Don't take over a year to fire a person who gets complained about within the first two weeks.

Structured and fast-paced

Par IV Server (Former Employee) Indianapolis, IN

ProsFlexibility for work-life balance. Benefits. Great and valuable discount. Great and caring management that will be considerate of your needs. Great training.

ConsSometimes tips are slightly mediocre due to too many servers being scheduled to work at the same time. Also, getting off on time is often a problem due to lack of awareness from management.

My experience was great

Line Cook (Former Employee) Jacksonville, FL

ProsThe atmosphere was very positive and challenging

ConsChallenging time frame to meet all order exspectations

Advice to Senior Managementkeep up the great work

It's been an experience.

Cashier/Retail (Current Employee) Gulfport, MS

ProsI like the fact that they work with your schedule.

ConsI have nothing negative to say.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone.

I had a great manager and a great staff to help out when it got busy. I loved the Crittendon Drive Store

Cashier/Retail (Former Employee) Louisville, KY

ProsHelping the customers, Scheduling: I usually worked the same shifts every week. but when I needed to be off work I got it. The people I worked with still remember me.

ConsI didn't get the raises I was supposed to get

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember to give raises

Worst job EVER

Associate Manager (Former Employee) Nashville, TN

ProsGreat pay, benefits, and staff. The best management training program I've seen. Every manager trains at their home office I Lebanon, TN for a couple of weeks to learn the kitchen without the stress of getting food served quickly

ConsTold during interview and training that the rumors of LONG crazy hours were a thing of the past and Cracker Barrel now has a work/life balance. Got out of training and was scheduled 70 hours/6 days my first 6 weeks and it wasn't because of a shortage of managers. My store had 6 managers!! Still expected me to go home and work on "projects" on my one day off! Was told I need to scream at the crew and treat them like dogs from my GM and my district manager. I don't work that way and I told them that during interview

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's restaurants. I understand there are long hours. But when you are fully staffed with managers there is no reason to regularly SCHEDULE managers 12+ hours a day/days a week

Worked for Cracker Barrel? Contribute to the Community!