Cracker Barrel

Cracker Barrel Reviews

Updated Jul 8, 2014

Cracker Barrel President & CEO Sandra B. Cochran

Sandra B. Cochran

Pros:
  • "Able to transfer to different locations, Flexible schedule, Half off meals when working,"
    in 23 reviews
  • "the only pros to working at this company are great people servers are great"
    in 13 reviews
Cons:
  • "long hours - typical waitresssing job"
    in 20 reviews
  • "Long hours, poor quality of life"
    in 6 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

The barrel

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsTips are relatively decent depending on where you work.

ConsSOme people are lazy and you have to pick up the slack for others

Advice to Senior ManagementStop micromanaging the servers

I have over 12yrs in restaurant management. I love working with people.very energetic and a great team player.

Par IV Server (Current Employee)
    Pooler, GA

ProsMeet New people and the atmosphere

ConsDealing with bad attitudes from other associates and managers that don't appreciate a hard worker.

Advice to Senior ManagementTalk to associates like they matter.really listen....

Great learning experience with a chance to advance in the company.

Hostess (Current Employee)
    Willoughby, OH

ProsThe employees are very friendly. It's like a family. There are different levels of advancement in the company. They work with you to try to accomodate your family life with work life.

ConsI feel that the compensation should be more. Also, I feel that training periods should be longer to make sure that the new employees understand the job that the company needs them to do.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Ups and downs or Cracker Barrel in hartselle alabama

Cashier/Retail (Former Employee)
    Hartselle, AL

ProsFriendly management. Discounts. Get paid every week.

ConsHave to work every Sunday. Not every flexible scheduling

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more flexible.

Server

ProsGood pay and great management.

ConsCrappy hours and every now and then you get rude people.

Great place for students/those with other priorities

Server (Current Employee)
    Terre Haute, IN

ProsI have worked in many restaurants, but working for CB has surpassed all others. I am a college student, and while I am about to graduate and move on to bigger things by using my degree, I have to give CB some credit. They worked so well with my busy schedule of 18 credit hours and other engagements. They understand that students have other priorities, and as long as you are a hard worker while there and are respectful (letting them know ahead of time, not being a no-call/no-show, etc.) then they will be understanding. Great company, great policies, and at my location- great management.

ConsI was a server, I obviously wasn't looking to make a comfortable living by working here part-time, but it helped me pay my rent and I was able to pick up hours when I needed some extra cash like your typical college student normally does!

Advice to Senior ManagementI love my CB fam, they've been good to me! Keep up the good work.

Okay Company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosloyal employees, great guest, job security as so many managers come and go

ConsLong hours that are inconsistent, must work all holidays, and work a min of 7 days in a row to take a weekend off.

Worked with great servers and good management

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood atmosphere and decent tips

ConsSometimes the management doesn't do well with figuring out who should go home first and such

Hostile work environment with two table sections

PAR III Server (Former Employee)
    Florence, KY

ProsFlexible schedule and a vacation after 1 year

ConsHostile work environment and the managers do not know how to talk to the servers. Employees talk to each other with no respect. The company makes sure they make their money but doesn't look out for their servers making their money. Two table sections on weekend and MAYBE 3 during the week. No money there if you want to support yourself.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat experienced servers like experienced servers. Let them make enough money to support themselves. And quit letting the guests run the business.

cross training and getting decent hours a joke; most employees need second jobs

Cashier (Current Employee)
    Shrewsbury, PA

Prosflexible scheduling; great guests; wonderful co-workers, on the whole. absolutely awesome retail manager. The initial training was great; as was the cross-training. No follow through with shifts/par up in cross-train positions. The cultural values read well, are really wonderful; not adhered to at the store level due to micromanaging from managers and corporate and lack of communication.

Consif you complain to management, you get what you want. if you work hard and care about pleasing people and the guest experience, you don't. too much cutting hours; cross train and then never give shifts; too many employees slacking off; management ignores fights in kitchen; management cooking not managing. good restaurant managers leave as soon as they can. Punishing employees for getting second jobs by cutting their schedules even more. Extremely high turnover rate and no appreciation for long time employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is no work-life balance. You request off for any reason; you never get the shift back unless you whine. Reward your hard working employees and stop scheduling the slackers--no wonder you have no clean dishes or silverware rolled. LISTEN to your employees. They will tell you what they need to be happy, productive workers. Also, your store managers desperately need better work-life balance so they can stop taking their frustrations out on store employees.

Worked for Cracker Barrel? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Cracker Barrel reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Cracker Barrel CEO Sandra B. Cochran . All 438 reviews posted anonymously by Cracker Barrel employees.