Cracker Barrel

Cracker Barrel Reviews

Updated Apr 9, 2014

Cracker Barrel President & CEO Sandra B. Cochran

Sandra B. Cochran

Pros:
  • "Able to transfer to different locations, Flexible schedule, Half off meals when working,"
    in 17 reviews
  • "the only pros to working at this company are great people servers are great"
    in 12 reviews
Cons:
  • "Long hours, high stress at times, corporate micromanages"
    in 17 reviews
  • "Do not sell your family and quality of life out for their compensation package"
    in 6 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Cracker Barrel has gotten greedy and does not care whatsoever about their employees.

Retail/Cashier/Host/Server (Current Employee)
West Memphis, AR

I have been working at Cracker Barrel full-time for more than 3 years

Pros50% discount off meals while eating

ConsPay is laughable, Hours are constantly cut, Long hours, Expected to do back-breaking labor for minimum wage, No benefits, No vacation pay, No sick leave, No employee perks, Management treats employees with no respect.

Advice to Senior ManagementI worked at Cracker Barrel when I was in college in 2003. I loved my job at Cracker Barrel, everyone was great, the pay was great, you could tell Cracker Barrel cared about their employees by the things they did for us, great training, I could go on and on. I was rehired in October of 2013, for the same position I left Cracker Barrel in 2003 doing as a PAR 3, retail. The rate I was paid when rehired, 10 years of employee pay later, with serveral years of experience was significantly less than in 2003. I have noticed that Cracker Barrel does not care about their employees anymore, whatsoever. It's like working for a completely different company. There are no benefits, the insurance is a joke, as is the 401K. Cracker Barrel only gives the employees the bare minimum that they have to in order to not be fined by the government. It is apparent that Danny Evins is dead by the way you do things now. I guess you're trying to turn it into the Wal-Mart of restaurants.

Server/Trainer

Server/Skill Trainer (Former Employee)
Titusville, FL

I worked at Cracker Barrel full-time for more than 5 years

ProsCracker Barrel has competitive wages, benefits, and room for advancement. They treat their guests as well as their employees well. Training, professionalism, consistency and cleanliness is a top priority. Overall they provide a great working environment!

ConsThere were times where management did not uphold the high standards of Cracker Barrel and as a result there was strife and problems within the store.

Advice to Senior ManagementTraining is very important, treating each employee with the same level of respect should be a top priority.

Not the best home cooking

Hostess (Former Employee)
Memphis, TN

I worked at Cracker Barrel part-time for less than a year

Prosflexible schedule, detailed training, nice discount

Conspoor upper management, not much room for growth

Advice to Senior Managementbe open to cross training

They suck.I've worked there for over 2 years and my hours got cut to 1 day a week.

Backup Cook (Current Employee)
Brunswick, GA

I have been working at Cracker Barrel part-time for more than a year

ProsFood is great.The co-workers are nice.

ConsGeneral manager sucks.We need someone who isn't racist.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need to get over all the favoritism and treat all employees with respect.

A little bit of everything

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Cracker Barrel

ProsNone..there wasn't one thing I enjoyed about this horrible job .maybe the candy section and the gift shop but clearly nothing else.

ConsMean management staff .. Employees not trusted just a horrible place .I cried every day I went to work couldn't wait to leave .

Advice to Senior ManagementLike they really care

Fake and terrible, always understaffed!

Associate Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Cracker Barrel full-time

ProsGood benefits, decent pay, good luck with a decent bonus. They try and make it a good culture but there is normally not enough time in the day to get what you need to do done when you're stuck in a position.

ConsNever enough staff to run efficiently. You are normally in some sort of a position, good luck running your restaurant as a prep/dish/grill/food runner/cashier! There is a reason they go through managers like toilet paper.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive better more achievable bonuses and increase the allowable labor targets so you can run the place right!

Stuffy and uptight, very strict.

Cashier (Former Employee)
Mount Arlington, NJ

I worked at Cracker Barrel part-time for less than a year

ProsHealth insurance, and direct deposit into debit card.

ConsHave to be specific with uniforms, and look for every nit picking detail.

Not What I expected

Cook (Former Employee)
Mount Arlington, NJ

I worked at Cracker Barrel full-time for more than a year

ProsIf you are lucky, and you are good at your position, you may get better hours. You can get raises quickly by passing knowledge based tests. It IS hard work, don't expect to just punch a clock, do your time and go home. I found it rewarding, but good feelings doesn't pay the rent, just wished it paid more. As it has been said, "It's a job".

ConsRaises should be merit based. There is no point in encouraging lazy inept individuals to stay and make the workplace environment a negative place to be for more talented workers. It is true that good workers are often treated better, but there are bad workers that know how to suck up to management and get better treatment. Overall, there is no fairness here. (Store managers will cut your hours to get their point across.) Management gets bonuses for kicking the staffs butt. Maybe half of the store managers are lazy and are not good at managing people or stock. This may be a good job to supplement your primary income, but don't try to live on what they pay. They may call it full-time, but it's barely enough hours. After all, store managers make thousands in bonuses if they stay under budget.

Advice to Senior ManagementGood workers are hard to find. Pay them better wages to get them to stay and things would run smoother, longer, rather than pay lazy uninspired individuals that don't know the meaning of job dedication. Advice to upper management; You are so close to making this a good place to work, keeping a talented staff, and ultimately creating a very good restaurant.

Cracker Barrel, the good and the bad

General Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Cracker Barrel full-time for more than 8 years

ProsPay plus bonus is good. A good culture and well run company.

ConsBase pay is low. The job requires approximately 60 hours a week (unofficially). Advancement from a struggling store is near impossible.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure all stores are fully staffed with the appropriate number of managers.

Good place to work

General Manager (Former Employee)
Atlanta, GA

I worked at Cracker Barrel full-time for more than 5 years

Proslong hours for a shift

Consgreat pay and benefits with the company

Advice to Senior Managementappreciate the long hours your managers work

Worked for Cracker Barrel? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Cracker Barrel reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Cracker Barrel CEO Sandra B. Cochran . All 377 reviews posted anonymously by Cracker Barrel employees.