Cracker Barrel

Updated January 14, 2015
3.1

Cracker Barrel President & CEO Sandra B. Cochran
Sandra B. Cochran

Pros
  • Flexible schedule, always an item of the day to promote to talk about to customers (in 32 reviews)

• the only pros to working at this company are great people servers are great (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • having to work long hours on your feet with no break, disappointing paychecks (in 26 reviews)

• Getting anything close to full time is fairly difficult unless you are a grill cook (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

17 Employee Reviews Back to all Reviews

Cracker Barrel was nice

Former Employee - Server Assistant in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Server Assistant in Nashville, TN

I worked at Cracker Barrel

Pros

flexable hours, great staff, and good money, as long as you work hard you advance quickly

Cons

tucking in your shirt, shining your shoes

You were great to me and I advanced quickly... There's more money to be had at bigger restaurants, but it was a great stepping stone for my current career

Meh, served it's purpose

Former Employee - Server in Nashville, TN

I worked at Cracker Barrel part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Wasn't too stressful of a serving job. Clientele is exactly what you'd expect, so don't expect killer tips, but they will likely be very nice regulars and people passing through.

Cons

Management doesn't listen to anyone. Ever. Even if you're having kidney problems and request time off work and you're scheduled anyway. Repeatedly.

Listen and do your job...

Kinda what you'd expect.

Former Employee - Host in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Host in Nashville, TN

I worked at Cracker Barrel part-time (more than a year)

Pros

- decent HR policies
    - paid training
    - direct \access to biscuits
    Typical restaurant experience, I'd say. Depends on management, coworkers and location.

Cons

Yeah, it caters to a certain... demographic, i.e. old Southern white people. The constant blaring of mainstream country may sap dangerous amounts of one's will to live.

Servers are Nobody

Former Employee - Server in Nashville, TN

I worked at Cracker Barrel full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The Guests are a lot of fun. You meet people of all walks of life from all over the world. Many countries see Cracker Barrel as a tourist stop. For the most part you work with great people.

Cons

Management will tell you that you can walk if you want. That the one position a restaurant can survive without is servers. Even after years of service they want you to be 100% dedicated to them, but they aren't dedicated to you. The managers are manipulated and controlled by certain employees who hold things over their heads as control issues, it's easy since Managers have no boundaries.

What applies to one person should apply to all. The more control you lose the more you try to gain in effect pushing out your loyal and honest employees who are their for the right reasons.

Great place for College Students

Current Employee - Hostess/Server/Cashier in Brentwood, TN
    Current Employee - Hostess/Server/Cashier in Brentwood, TN

I have been working at Cracker Barrel full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great place for students to work. Depending on the Position you're working hours are great.

Cons

Working there as a server expect to work multiple doubles as a new hire and beyond. When you request time off expect to get scheduled to work those days

Worst job EVER

Former Employee - Associate Manager in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Associate Manager in Nashville, TN

I worked at Cracker Barrel full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great pay, benefits, and staff. The best management training program I've seen. Every manager trains at their home office I Lebanon, TN for a couple of weeks to learn the kitchen without the stress of getting food served quickly

Cons

Told during interview and training that the rumors of LONG crazy hours were a thing of the past and Cracker Barrel now has a work/life balance. Got out of training and was scheduled 70 hours/6 days my first 6 weeks and it wasn't because of a shortage of managers. My store had 6 managers!! Still expected me to go home and work on "projects" on my one day off! Was told I need to scream at the crew and treat them like dogs from my GM and my district manager. I don't work that way and I told them that during interview

It's restaurants. I understand there are long hours. But when you are fully staffed with managers there is no reason to regularly SCHEDULE managers 12+ hours a day/days a week

Not a place for your career or children

Former Employee - Hostess in Murfreesboro, TN
    Former Employee - Hostess in Murfreesboro, TN

I worked at Cracker Barrel part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Not much. You receive a discount but it is not much

Cons

Mgmt- never took the employee side and never said good job but always had something you can improve on. They have too many rules and break them constantly. I had a manager friend quit and suggest I quit because there is not much room to grow and they are quick to fire.

Customers (guest)- pains. Old people or religious nuts who do not tip and complain

Pay rate- bogus

Product- food was heart attack on a plate. The store has over priced stuff you can get at Dollar General.

Go back to the founding principles and get this company back in shape.

I love working in retail. The restaurant is scary.

Current Employee - Retail Employee in Brentwood, TN
    Current Employee - Retail Employee in Brentwood, TN

I have been working at Cracker Barrel part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great retail manager! Leads by example and jumps in where ever needed. She has been seen busing tables on days that we're slammed. She's been there for several years and could run the whole place in her sleep! PAR is a good way to get raises. Retail is fun, constantly moving and changing displays, new products, talking to new people, getting to know the regulars.

Cons

The restaurant is constantly ship without a captain. Waaaaay too much Restaurant Manager turn over... somehow this location has become the gateway for all managers. I've been there 2ish years and including the ones we have currently I've worked with restaurant 10 managers and that doesn't include the ones they "lend" to our store sometimes.

Communication. Do it.

Cracker Barrel is definitely an overall good company to work for.

Current Employee - Par IV Server in Murfreesboro, TN
    Current Employee - Par IV Server in Murfreesboro, TN

I have been working at Cracker Barrel part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Schedule flexibility. The ability to transfer stores if you move. The ability to grow within the company.

Cons

Sometimes it isn't such a great family environment.

You should worry more about the happiness of your employees.

Dysfunction- I love the business but I couldn't believe what went on on the cooks line at my store.

Former Employee - Line Cook in Goodlettsville, TN
    Former Employee - Line Cook in Goodlettsville, TN

I worked at Cracker Barrel full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The pros are they have good food and the food is worth the money. The rate of pay is just. The advancement is very good within the company and the core values are excellent.

Cons

The cons are. They don't follow the core values. They don't discipline employee's for the stuff they do. They are very messy and some staff is down right out of line. The employees run the store more than the management team.

Managers take back your store. Don't allow people who have been their for awhile to run the store. The messy stuff that went on during work ours on cooks line should never happen period. Be more mindful of the core values you hold and enforce them. Everybody is to comfortable at the store I was at.

Cracker Barrel Photos