Cracker Barrel

Updated September 4, 2014
3.1

Cracker Barrel President & CEO Sandra B. Cochran
Sandra B. Cochran

Pros
  • Flexible schedule, always an item of the day to promote to talk about to customers (in 30 reviews)

• the only pros to working at this company are great people servers are great (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • having to work long hours on your feet with no break, disappointing paychecks (in 26 reviews)

• Do not sell your family and quality of life out for their compensation package (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

13 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

I love working in retail. The restaurant is scary.

Current Employee - Retail Employee  in  Brentwood, TN
    Current Employee - Retail Employee in Brentwood, TN

I have been working at Cracker Barrel part-time for more than a year

Pros

Great retail manager! Leads by example and jumps in where ever needed. She has been seen busing tables on days that we're slammed. She's been there for several years and could run the whole place in her sleep! PAR is a good way to get raises. Retail is fun, constantly moving and changing displays, new products, talking to new people, getting to know the regulars.

Cons

The restaurant is constantly ship without a captain. Waaaaay too much Restaurant Manager turn over... somehow this location has become the gateway for all managers. I've been there 2ish years and including the ones we have currently I've worked with restaurant 10 managers and that doesn't include the ones they "lend" to our store sometimes.

Communication. Do it.

Great place for College Students

Current Employee - Hostess/Server/Cashier  in  Brentwood, TN
    Current Employee - Hostess/Server/Cashier in Brentwood, TN

I have been working at Cracker Barrel full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great place for students to work. Depending on the Position you're working hours are great.

Cons

Working there as a server expect to work multiple doubles as a new hire and beyond. When you request time off expect to get scheduled to work those days

Worst job EVER

Former Employee - Associate Manager  in  Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Associate Manager in Nashville, TN

I worked at Cracker Barrel full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great pay, benefits, and staff. The best management training program I've seen. Every manager trains at their home office I Lebanon, TN for a couple of weeks to learn the kitchen without the stress of getting food served quickly

Cons

Told during interview and training that the rumors of LONG crazy hours were a thing of the past and Cracker Barrel now has a work/life balance. Got out of training and was scheduled 70 hours/6 days my first 6 weeks and it wasn't because of a shortage of managers. My store had 6 managers!! Still expected me to go home and work on "projects" on my one day off! Was told I need to scream at the crew and treat them like dogs from my GM and my district manager. I don't work that way and I told them that during interview

It's restaurants. I understand there are long hours. But when you are fully staffed with managers there is no reason to regularly SCHEDULE managers 12+ hours a day/days a week

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not a place for your career or children

Former Employee - Hostess  in  Murfreesboro, TN
    Former Employee - Hostess in Murfreesboro, TN

I worked at Cracker Barrel part-time for more than a year

Pros

Not much. You receive a discount but it is not much

Cons

Mgmt- never took the employee side and never said good job but always had something you can improve on. They have too many rules and break them constantly. I had a manager friend quit and suggest I quit because there is not much room to grow and they are quick to fire.

Customers (guest)- pains. Old people or religious nuts who do not tip and complain

Pay rate- bogus

Product- food was heart attack on a plate. The store has over priced stuff you can get at Dollar General.

Go back to the founding principles and get this company back in shape.

Cracker Barrel is definitely an overall good company to work for.

Current Employee - Par IV Server  in  Murfreesboro, TN
    Current Employee - Par IV Server in Murfreesboro, TN

I have been working at Cracker Barrel part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Schedule flexibility. The ability to transfer stores if you move. The ability to grow within the company.

Cons

Sometimes it isn't such a great family environment.

You should worry more about the happiness of your employees.

Dysfunction- I love the business but I couldn't believe what went on on the cooks line at my store.

Former Employee - Line Cook  in  Goodlettsville, TN
    Former Employee - Line Cook in Goodlettsville, TN

I worked at Cracker Barrel full-time for less than a year

Pros

The pros are they have good food and the food is worth the money. The rate of pay is just. The advancement is very good within the company and the core values are excellent.

Cons

The cons are. They don't follow the core values. They don't discipline employee's for the stuff they do. They are very messy and some staff is down right out of line. The employees run the store more than the management team.

Managers take back your store. Don't allow people who have been their for awhile to run the store. The messy stuff that went on during work ours on cooks line should never happen period. Be more mindful of the core values you hold and enforce them. Everybody is to comfortable at the store I was at.

Accounting

Current Employee - Accountant  in  Lebanon, TN
    Current Employee - Accountant in Lebanon, TN

I have been working at Cracker Barrel full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good benefits and family atmosphere.

Cons

Below average salary and lack of growth potential.

Improve growth potential.

Cracker Barrel is an ever changing company. Some of the changes are a result of the company growth others are Executive.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Lebanon, TN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lebanon, TN

I worked at Cracker Barrel full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Benefits are above industry standards as are the pay structures. Beautiful campus and physical environment. Recent investor activity has forced the company to look inside and move quicker.

Cons

Change is not always well thought out and at times poorly executed. Which leads to looking for someone to blame when the intended result is not achieved.
    Executive management does not engage with the second or third level enough to get a clear picture.

Out with the old and in with the new may not always be the best policy.

No one has your back.

Former Employee - Server  in  Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Server in Nashville, TN

I worked at Cracker Barrel full-time for less than a year

Pros

apron is free, managers good about letting yuo leave if you don't feel well or if something comes up.

Cons

They're so nervous about being sued and bad PR that they let the customers walk all over servers. I was yelled at and insulted on different occasions and felt completely on my own. I just had to stand there and take the abuse. Customers who come there often know they can be cruel and take advantage of it. It's better to work for a small mom and pop business where the managers aren't afraid to stand up for their employees. It was so bad I quit. Also, servers had to stay after they're shift ended and clean, organize and wrap a ton of silverwear.

Stop all of the overkill in equality training. Your employees know to treat people equally. Start training managers to help employees who feel attacked, and focus more on teaching servers what they can do if a customer is harassing them. And having your servers wrap silverwear is ridiculous. If you give your tables the attention they need you don't have time to clean, sort, and wrap silverwear until after your shift ends. You're making servers do the dishwasher's job and they're getting paid under minimum wage to do it. Shame on you.

It's like a love-hate relationship!

Current Employee - Am Restaurant Server  in  Lebanon, TN
    Current Employee - Am Restaurant Server in Lebanon, TN

I have been working at Cracker Barrel part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Really Good money to be made during the months of November-January
    If you need to pick up extra days for extra money, you can
    Some good managers out there
    Cracker Barrel can get busy, so they keep you moving, day goes by faster, the more busy they are
    Good benefits if your a Par 4... also like the whole Par system
    Good job for someone coming out of high school

Cons

Some guest can be rude, you have to ignore it
    Some guest may not tip, you have to ignore it
    you may be scheduled until 3pm, but won't be leaving at 3pm, it varies. so no exact time you will leave for the day, or night
    the money you make varies, never know how much you can or can not make for a week
    walking, walking, and more walking
    any resturant work is not easy
    not a good job/career for long term
    I would recommend this job to a friend, but would tell them not to stay too long, this job can get frustrating at times, and you are very tired after a long day at the Barrel

Be more respectful, we may not make as much money as you, but we are still equal, treat us all with respect, we are all human and everyone makes mistakes. put your self in our shoes, treat others the way you would like to be treated! the guest are not ALWAYS right, their are some dis-honest people out there. please stop with the yelling, we are not children, and even with that said, no person, or children like to be, or deserve to be yelled at! we need to hear that we are doing a great job, more positive feedback! We as servers feel some of the managers treat us as we are never good enough! Its always, servers do this, servers do that, servers don't do this, servers do more, servers, servers, servers!! I will admit there are some managers that help out when you ask them, and I am thankful for each and every one of them that help, and not just stand back and yell at us!

Cracker Barrel Photos

Cake Party @ work
An employee-painted mural in a CBOCS training room
in the kitchen

+ Add Photo

Worked for Cracker Barrel? Contribute to the Community!