Cracker Barrel

Cracker Barrel Reviews in Nashville, TN

Updated Jun 24, 2014

Cracker Barrel President & CEO Sandra B. Cochran

Sandra B. Cochran

Pros
  • Flexible schedule, always an item of the day to promote to talk about to customers(in 26 reviews)

• the only pros to working at this company are great people servers are great(in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • long hours - typical waitresssing job(in 22 reviews)

• Getting anything close to full time is fairly difficult unless you are a grill cook(in 12 reviews)

12 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

I love working in retail. The restaurant is scary.

Retail Employee (Current Employee) Brentwood, TN

ProsGreat retail manager! Leads by example and jumps in where ever needed. She has been seen busing tables on days that we're slammed. She's been there for several years and could run the whole place in her sleep! PAR is a good way to get raises. Retail is fun, constantly moving and changing displays, new products, talking to new people, getting to know the regulars.

ConsThe restaurant is constantly ship without a captain. Waaaaay too much Restaurant Manager turn over... somehow this location has become the gateway for all managers. I've been there 2ish years and including the ones we have currently I've worked with restaurant 10 managers and that doesn't include the ones they "lend" to our store sometimes.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunication. Do it.

Not a place for your career or children

Hostess (Former Employee) Murfreesboro, TN

ProsNot much. You receive a discount but it is not much

ConsMgmt- never took the employee side and never said good job but always had something you can improve on. They have too many rules and break them constantly. I had a manager friend quit and suggest I quit because there is not much room to grow and they are quick to fire.

Customers (guest)- pains. Old people or religious nuts who do not tip and complain

Pay rate- bogus

Product- food was heart attack on a plate. The store has over priced stuff you can get at Dollar General.

Advice to Senior ManagementGo back to the founding principles and get this company back in shape.

Worst job EVER

Associate Manager (Former Employee) Nashville, TN

ProsGreat pay, benefits, and staff. The best management training program I've seen. Every manager trains at their home office I Lebanon, TN for a couple of weeks to learn the kitchen without the stress of getting food served quickly

ConsTold during interview and training that the rumors of LONG crazy hours were a thing of the past and Cracker Barrel now has a work/life balance. Got out of training and was scheduled 70 hours/6 days my first 6 weeks and it wasn't because of a shortage of managers. My store had 6 managers!! Still expected me to go home and work on "projects" on my one day off! Was told I need to scream at the crew and treat them like dogs from my GM and my district manager. I don't work that way and I told them that during interview

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's restaurants. I understand there are long hours. But when you are fully staffed with managers there is no reason to regularly SCHEDULE managers 12+ hours a day/days a week

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Cracker Barrel is definitely an overall good company to work for.

Par IV Server (Current Employee) Murfreesboro, TN

ProsSchedule flexibility. The ability to transfer stores if you move. The ability to grow within the company.

ConsSometimes it isn't such a great family environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou should worry more about the happiness of your employees.

Dysfunction- I love the business but I couldn't believe what went on on the cooks line at my store.

Line Cook (Former Employee) Goodlettsville, TN

ProsThe pros are they have good food and the food is worth the money. The rate of pay is just. The advancement is very good within the company and the core values are excellent.

ConsThe cons are. They don't follow the core values. They don't discipline employee's for the stuff they do. They are very messy and some staff is down right out of line. The employees run the store more than the management team.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagers take back your store. Don't allow people who have been their for awhile to run the store. The messy stuff that went on during work ours on cooks line should never happen period. Be more mindful of the core values you hold and enforce them. Everybody is to comfortable at the store I was at.

Accounting

Accountant (Current Employee) Lebanon, TN

ProsGood benefits and family atmosphere.

ConsBelow average salary and lack of growth potential.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove growth potential.

Cracker Barrel is an ever changing company. Some of the changes are a result of the company growth others are Executive.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Lebanon, TN

ProsBenefits are above industry standards as are the pay structures. Beautiful campus and physical environment. Recent investor activity has forced the company to look inside and move quicker.

ConsChange is not always well thought out and at times poorly executed. Which leads to looking for someone to blame when the intended result is not achieved.
    Executive management does not engage with the second or third level enough to get a clear picture.

Advice to Senior ManagementOut with the old and in with the new may not always be the best policy.

No one has your back.

Server (Former Employee) Nashville, TN

Prosapron is free, managers good about letting yuo leave if you don't feel well or if something comes up.

ConsThey're so nervous about being sued and bad PR that they let the customers walk all over servers. I was yelled at and insulted on different occasions and felt completely on my own. I just had to stand there and take the abuse. Customers who come there often know they can be cruel and take advantage of it. It's better to work for a small mom and pop business where the managers aren't afraid to stand up for their employees. It was so bad I quit. Also, servers had to stay after they're shift ended and clean, organize and wrap a ton of silverwear.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop all of the overkill in equality training. Your employees know to treat people equally. Start training managers to help employees who feel attacked, and focus more on teaching servers what they can do if a customer is harassing them. And having your servers wrap silverwear is ridiculous. If you give your tables the attention they need you don't have time to clean, sort, and wrap silverwear until after your shift ends. You're making servers do the dishwasher's job and they're getting paid under minimum wage to do it. Shame on you.

It's like a love-hate relationship!

Am Restaurant Server (Current Employee) Lebanon, TN

ProsReally Good money to be made during the months of November-January
    If you need to pick up extra days for extra money, you can
    Some good managers out there
    Cracker Barrel can get busy, so they keep you moving, day goes by faster, the more busy they are
    Good benefits if your a Par 4... also like the whole Par system
    Good job for someone coming out of high school

ConsSome guest can be rude, you have to ignore it
    Some guest may not tip, you have to ignore it
    you may be scheduled until 3pm, but won't be leaving at 3pm, it varies. so no exact time you will leave for the day, or night
    the money you make varies, never know how much you can or can not make for a week
    walking, walking, and more walking
    any resturant work is not easy
    not a good job/career for long term
    I would recommend this job to a friend, but would tell them not to stay too long, this job can get frustrating at times, and you are very tired after a long day at the Barrel

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more respectful, we may not make as much money as you, but we are still equal, treat us all with respect, we are all human and everyone makes mistakes. put your self in our shoes, treat others the way you would like to be treated! the guest are not ALWAYS right, their are some dis-honest people out there. please stop with the yelling, we are not children, and even with that said, no person, or children like to be, or deserve to be yelled at! we need to hear that we are doing a great job, more positive feedback! We as servers feel some of the managers treat us as we are never good enough! Its always, servers do this, servers do that, servers don't do this, servers do more, servers, servers, servers!! I will admit there are some managers that help out when you ask them, and I am thankful for each and every one of them that help, and not just stand back and yell at us!

Excellent learning experience, not quickly promoted

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Lebanon, TN

ProsPretty decent pay and benefits.
    Good company culture with long tenured employees.
    Good exposure to excellent experience

ConsPromotion and pay increases aren't very frequent
    Difficult to make a difference and encourage change

Advice to Senior ManagementBe willing to come up to date with the current times. Don't be afraid of change.

Worked for Cracker Barrel? Contribute to the Community!