Cracker Barrel

Cracker Barrel Reviews

Updated Jul 23, 2014

Cracker Barrel President & CEO Sandra B. Cochran

Sandra B. Cochran

Pros
  • Flexible schedule, always an item of the day to promote to talk about to customers(in 26 reviews)

• the only pros to working at this company are great people servers are great(in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • long hours - typical waitresssing job(in 22 reviews)

• Getting anything close to full time is fairly difficult unless you are a grill cook(in 12 reviews)

Working in a "Country-Fresh" environment

Server/Expo (Former Employee) Denton, TX

ProsCracker Barrel has an exceptional training program for any position of the store, whether it be in retail or restaurant. The longer you stay there, the more you learn about the company and earn a pay raise as well. Very teamwork oriented.

ConsVERY corporate structured. You have to get along with the scheduling managers in order to receive ideal shifts. Your uniform has to be perfect and professional, otherwise you get sent home.

Not working there again EVER

Par IV Server (Former Employee) Urbana, IL

ProsAlways busy so always good money

ConsA lot of awful guests all the time...just plain rude....too many co workers!

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter management is a must!!

I met a lot of good people that I still keep in touch with.

PAR III Server (Former Employee) Joliet, IL

ProsFlexible schedule, always an item of the day to promote to talk about to customers. Lots of regulars came in. Employee discount.

ConsDue to the fact that much of the food took a long time to prepare (meatloaf, chicken, etc) items would get 86ed often. Sometimes managers would have trouble with making schedules because they took turns making the schedules. I received two phone calls while on a family road trip out of state on vacation time I requested off months in advance. I wasn't on the schedule for a reason.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't talk down to your employees.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

pretty good place to work, overall

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Sanford, FL

Prosgood company benefits,flexible scheduling, good place to work for the long haul

ConsGm is not a people person, even the other associate mgrs can't stand him...talk bad about him behind his back...employees don't like him either, he does not know how to appreciate people and only has negative things to say to everyone

Advice to Senior Managementlighten up. appreciate your great employees! Don't be so negative

Associate manager

Associate Manager (Current Employee) Hardeeville, SC

Prosi started out as a hostess when i was 17. Lots of opportunities to move up. It paid my bills for a long time as an hourly. As a manager it is demanding. The development plan for managers is great. There are quarterly bonuses, 401k, stock options, and health benefits. pay is good.
    I was an hourly for 9yrs and a little over 2yrs as a manager

ConsGreat bosses are hard to come by. Long long hours. Very hard to balance life and work.

Current server

ProsMoney is good people we have working is pretty nice. Some of our Managers do show some favoritism. It's like that any place

ConsLong hours sometimes and the guest is always RIGHT so never insult a guest or you will be on the poop list.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more managers we need them

It was a good job to put me through college but after that it was time to move on.

Skill Trainer/Cook (Former Employee) Lancaster, PA

ProsFlexible schedule
    The ability to cross-train in different areas

ConsPoor management
    Low hourly salaries
    Employees are taken advantage of...overworked and underpaid!!

Advice to Senior ManagementThis company really needs to work on employee appreciation

Good Money

Associate Manager (Current Employee) Raleigh, NC

ProsPay Better that other Restaurants.

ConsNo life atlease you are single and you are 100% for your career.

Advice to Senior ManagementNo consistency with schedules. long shifts. 7-9 day weeks.

i love working at cracker barrel learned a lot about fixing there foods

Dishwasher/Back Up Cook (Current Employee) Newport News, VA

Proshands on working at fast pace enjoyed the job and employees were nice and eager to help you learn the job

Consdid not get enough hours and had no benifits and was only schedule 2 hr shift witch and not paying for gas to and from work only work some weeks 15 hours

Advice to Senior Managementgive more hours to crew that work and do a good job

Disappointing

Server (Former Employee)

ProsManagers were good at working with employees to accommodate schedule changes and training assistance

ConsRequired "side work" of servers, which amounted to free labor, for items such as maintenance, housecleaning and food preparation work before the server could check out and leave for the night. Once a manager had approved you to leave your shift, you would often find that you had to wait on a cashier to check-out ALL customers BEFORE she would tip you out. This often times amounted to a delay of 20 minutes or more additional time before you could literally leave the building to go home.

Worked for Cracker Barrel? Contribute to the Community!