Cracker Barrel

Cracker Barrel Reviews

Updated Jul 29, 2014

Cracker Barrel President & CEO Sandra B. Cochran

Sandra B. Cochran

Pros
  • Flexible schedule, always an item of the day to promote to talk about to customers (in 27 reviews)

• the only pros to working at this company are great people servers are great (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours sometimes and the guest is always RIGHT so never insult a guest or you will be on the poop list (in 23 reviews)

• Getting anything close to full time is fairly difficult unless you are a grill cook (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

Feels like family

Retail Associate (Current Employee) Alcoa, TN

ProsI work in retail. They are awesome with working around my school hours. Have a great training system. There's a wholesome family atmosphere, with all employees respecting each other and authority.

ConsAlmost impossible to get more than 21 hours per week in retail. After you reach Par 4 raises are next to nothing. One can advance to a trainer or eventually try to get into internship management program but other than that the pay is low with not much upgrade.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement is AWESOME!!!!! Cracker Barrel knows what its doing in that arena.

Working in a "Country-Fresh" environment

Server/Expo (Former Employee) Denton, TX

ProsCracker Barrel has an exceptional training program for any position of the store, whether it be in retail or restaurant. The longer you stay there, the more you learn about the company and earn a pay raise as well. Very teamwork oriented.

ConsVERY corporate structured. You have to get along with the scheduling managers in order to receive ideal shifts. Your uniform has to be perfect and professional, otherwise you get sent home.

Not working there again EVER

Par IV Server (Former Employee) Urbana, IL

ProsAlways busy so always good money

ConsA lot of awful guests all the time...just plain rude....too many co workers!

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter management is a must!!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I met a lot of good people that I still keep in touch with.

PAR III Server (Former Employee) Joliet, IL

ProsFlexible schedule, always an item of the day to promote to talk about to customers. Lots of regulars came in. Employee discount.

ConsDue to the fact that much of the food took a long time to prepare (meatloaf, chicken, etc) items would get 86ed often. Sometimes managers would have trouble with making schedules because they took turns making the schedules. I received two phone calls while on a family road trip out of state on vacation time I requested off months in advance. I wasn't on the schedule for a reason.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't talk down to your employees.

pretty good place to work, overall

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Sanford, FL

Prosgood company benefits,flexible scheduling, good place to work for the long haul

ConsGm is not a people person, even the other associate mgrs can't stand him...talk bad about him behind his back...employees don't like him either, he does not know how to appreciate people and only has negative things to say to everyone

Advice to Senior Managementlighten up. appreciate your great employees! Don't be so negative

Not bad, not great...

Am Restaurant Server (Current Employee) Dalton, GA

ProsFlexible hours and friendly people.

ConsLow pay and tips can be low depending on what shift you work.

Host

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe people who I worked with were very nice, and willing to help. Half off on meals was also a nice bonus.

ConsManagers were too demanding. Gave employees double shifts with minimal breaks. Long shifts standing on feet can tire you out.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat employees better. Employees often have burnout and complain about management. Put a stool on the host stand to keep workers fresh.

i love working at cracker barrel learned a lot about fixing there foods

Dishwasher/Back Up Cook (Current Employee) Newport News, VA

Proshands on working at fast pace enjoyed the job and employees were nice and eager to help you learn the job

Consdid not get enough hours and had no benifits and was only schedule 2 hr shift witch and not paying for gas to and from work only work some weeks 15 hours

Advice to Senior Managementgive more hours to crew that work and do a good job

Current server

ProsMoney is good people we have working is pretty nice. Some of our Managers do show some favoritism. It's like that any place

ConsLong hours sometimes and the guest is always RIGHT so never insult a guest or you will be on the poop list.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more managers we need them

It was a good job to put me through college but after that it was time to move on.

Skill Trainer/Cook (Former Employee) Lancaster, PA

ProsFlexible schedule
    The ability to cross-train in different areas

ConsPoor management
    Low hourly salaries
    Employees are taken advantage of...overworked and underpaid!!

Advice to Senior ManagementThis company really needs to work on employee appreciation

Worked for Cracker Barrel? Contribute to the Community!