Cracker Barrel

Cracker Barrel Reviews

Updated Apr 18, 2014

Cracker Barrel President & CEO Sandra B. Cochran

Sandra B. Cochran

Pros:
  • "Able to transfer to different locations, Flexible schedule, Half off meals when working,"
    in 20 reviews
  • "the only pros to working at this company are great people servers are great"
    in 12 reviews
Cons:
  • "Long hours, high stress at times, corporate micromanages"
    in 18 reviews
  • "Long hours, poor quality of life"
    in 6 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Server

I have been working at Cracker Barrel

ProsGood pay and great management.

ConsCrappy hours and every now and then you get rude people.

Great place for students/those with other priorities

Server (Current Employee)
Terre Haute, IN

I have been working at Cracker Barrel part-time for more than 3 years

ProsI have worked in many restaurants, but working for CB has surpassed all others. I am a college student, and while I am about to graduate and move on to bigger things by using my degree, I have to give CB some credit. They worked so well with my busy schedule of 18 credit hours and other engagements. They understand that students have other priorities, and as long as you are a hard worker while there and are respectful (letting them know ahead of time, not being a no-call/no-show, etc.) then they will be understanding. Great company, great policies, and at my location- great management.

ConsI was a server, I obviously wasn't looking to make a comfortable living by working here part-time, but it helped me pay my rent and I was able to pick up hours when I needed some extra cash like your typical college student normally does!

Advice to Senior ManagementI love my CB fam, they've been good to me! Keep up the good work.

I have over 12yrs in restaurant management. I love working with people.very energetic and a great team player.

Par IV Server (Current Employee)
Pooler, GA

I have been working at Cracker Barrel part-time for more than a year

ProsMeet New people and the atmosphere

ConsDealing with bad attitudes from other associates and managers that don't appreciate a hard worker.

Advice to Senior ManagementTalk to associates like they matter.really listen....

Okay Company

I worked at Cracker Barrel full-time for more than 5 years

Prosloyal employees, great guest, job security as so many managers come and go

ConsLong hours that are inconsistent, must work all holidays, and work a min of 7 days in a row to take a weekend off.

Worked with great servers and good management

I worked at Cracker Barrel

ProsGood atmosphere and decent tips

ConsSometimes the management doesn't do well with figuring out who should go home first and such

Flexible Schedule

Everyday is something different
The pay if awesome
Raise every 6 months

ConsManagers can be rude
Dont always get out on time
Sometimes have to do all the work by yourself.
The manager are always on top of you.

Advice to Senior ManagementAs a Restaurant manager it can be very stressful at time, however if you are one of those managers that when they get overwhelmed, they decide to take out of everyone else and blame everything on your employess, than really work on that. There is nothing worse than getting screamed at from a manager for doing what your suppose to be doing.

Great Income potential

I worked at Cracker Barrel full-time

ProsCorporate structure is value based and a good place to work. Advancement opportunities from within are good if you are a driven individual that accepts and applies hard to hear feedback from time to time. Safety and sanitation are a priority.

ConsThere is no work life balance. The environment can be hectic and stressful, especially in understaffed units, which leads to high turnover and decreased productivity among employees, managers and hourly alike.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to protect the employee experience, but remember that Managers are employees too. I would suggest an anonymous poll to Managers to seek feedback from them on how to improve their work life balance.

Went manager slumming because it was a good paycheck for a small town.

Associate Manager (Former Employee)
Dalton, GA

I worked at Cracker Barrel full-time for more than 3 years

ProsYou need a job and don't know any better. I knew better an did it anyway.

ConsThis concept has a lot of appeal, but it has some structural flaws where execution and leadership are concerned. They are reactive and clearly in over their heads at corporate. They burn through managers at a stunning clip when you consider the amount of time and money they spend training them. Tend to be condescending and paternalistic in their approach to their own management ranks and buying in feels like you sell your soul for a second rate leadership ideology. The actual operations at the store level constitute a Rube Goldberg menagerie of hokum and poorly executed "proven" management philosophies. They have an outdated, hierarchal structure that adheres defiantly to limited chains of communication. They tried a few years ago to streamline execution and employed the saddest Six Sigma example I've ever seen. They run razor thin profit margins while their labor and production schemes are over analyzed and the efficiency of their processes are overlooked. The inefficiencies are zealously adhered to in the name of quality. I've worked in a lot of dining establishments, from resorts to bistros to corporate and CB is the most taxing and inefficient I've seen. Without vision and a master of half measures, this company is a tragedy in so many ways. It's a shame. Their demographic is dying out, also.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour DM's inspire loathing. Your AM's are often overqualified and hate their jobs and the ones who don't hate them don't really care about them enough to make an impact. It's too stressful for a place that serves batched food. Simplify. You make General Motors of the 70's look like Toyota of the 80's. Quit talking down to managers and enlist them to create solutions at the store level, i.e., stop micromanaging otherwise intelligent and capable people. And don't take every half baked idea and go company wide, or get better advice because your batting average suggests an inevitable return to the minor leagues. Sometimes to lead is to follow. This is not one of those times. Yeah, nice salads. Way to be out front of that trend.

Job sucks, didn't receive earned raise, good people

Dishwasher/Busser (Former Employee)
Cadiz, KY

I worked at Cracker Barrel full-time for less than a year

ProsReceived good hours, and worked with me to secure days off.

ConsJob sucked, frequently didn't get out until midnight or on occasion later, managers would aid whatever position needed assistance EXCEPT for dish so when people decided to leave before their shift was over, next shift got screwed easily. Pay wasn't great, and I didn't receive the raise I should have earned from Paring.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive earned raises.

It's Okay

Dishwasher (Current Employee)

I have been working at Cracker Barrel part-time

ProsManagement is civil; approachable

50% of food while working

Co-workers are mostly friendly; generally college students

Job is easy

Negligible raises periodically.

Paid weekly; pay stub available online

Everyone gets cross-trained.

Schedules are available online.

ConsI do not receive breaks regardless of shift length.

Some management just stands around twirling keys. Others help out greatly.

Co-workers have expressed an inability to attain requisite hours to receive benefits.

Employee's steal food.

Employee's openly discuss weed.

Some employee's have a criminal record. Unsure of exact offenses.

Insufficient parking.

Online schedule shows only my shifts. I cannot see who I am working with.

Online schedule does not have much functionality compared to other companies.

There is no job application online. This may be why anyone who walked in got a job interview.

Several employee's speak only Spanish. It is impossible for me to communicate with my co-workers.

No teamwork in the dish room. Co-workers will not aid stations that need help and instead just stand there or use their phones.

Cannot use iPod. Work is monotonous. Makes shift feel longer; more like an assembly line

Management is inexperienced

Training modules are computerized.

Employee's always on phones.

Experience will vary tremendously store to store; staff to staff

Dishwasher meetings are stupid.

New employee meetings are stupid.

Pay rate is different for meetings.

Multiple employee's have begun seeking second jobs due to lack of hours. They are told that hours are tied into their performance.

The pay card is stupid

Frequent Insufficient staffing

Dishwasher turnover is high

Par system is stupid. They act like it's a genius idea.

Retail store is too crowded. Difficult to walk around.

Bus tubs are placed on the floor if there are many dishes to be washed. Makes for unsafe working conditions. It's a tripping hazard.

Advice to Senior ManagementReduce portion sizes.

Give employee's breaks.

Watch your loss prevention

Be honest about various job aspects

Worked for Cracker Barrel? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Cracker Barrel reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Cracker Barrel CEO Sandra B. Cochran . All 384 reviews posted anonymously by Cracker Barrel employees.