Cracker Barrel

Updated September 11, 2014
3.1

Cracker Barrel President & CEO Sandra B. Cochran
Sandra B. Cochran

Pros
  • Flexible schedule, always an item of the day to promote to talk about to customers (in 27 reviews)

• the only pros to working at this company are great people servers are great (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours sometimes and the guest is always RIGHT so never insult a guest or you will be on the poop list (in 23 reviews)

• Getting anything close to full time is fairly difficult unless you are a grill cook (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

Good company, bad managers

Former Employee - Cashier  in  Conway, AR
    Former Employee - Cashier in Conway, AR

I worked at Cracker Barrel part-time for less than a year

Pros

Easy to get raises, lots of ways to move up, good hours, lots of benefits

Cons

The store I worked in... No breaks for cashiers, even if you work a 12 hour shift. No drinks and no food. Horrible scheduling. Part time employee getting 42 hours and working two shifts in one day while other employees are available to work all week are scheduled for less than 10 hours. In emergencies (such as a family emergency) rarely permitted to leave or miss work.

Have regular employees rate their managers performance and act on the results.

Revolving Door

Current Employee - Associate Manager  in  McAllen, TX
    Current Employee - Associate Manager in McAllen, TX

I have been working at Cracker Barrel full-time for less than a year

Pros

The employee discount is nice. If your store had an experienced generally manager the job is much easier. Retail merchandise is nice.

Cons

There is no work life balance, you will be working 10+ hour shifts. Managers are really never on the same page.

Hold Managers accountable.

Great responsibility with a very busy concept

Current Employee - Associate Manager
    Current Employee - Associate Manager

I have been working at Cracker Barrel full-time for less than a year

Pros

Learn both restaurant management and retail management at the same time. Good discounts. Very structured. Extensive training.

Cons

Long hours. Very busy at times...too busy to be able to give breaks or take breaks.

Manage, don't freak out at every little thing.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good job to have while you're in school, although their are some problems with management.

Former Employee - Server  in  Columbia, SC
    Former Employee - Server in Columbia, SC

I worked at Cracker Barrel part-time for more than a year

Pros

Friendly Staff, having a 50 percent discount while you're working. Great experience if you are thinking about going into the restaurant business.

Cons

Corporate structured. Pay could be better. Management could use a little work on how they handle day to day task.

Get with your employees more, discuss what you could do as a manager to make their experience a little better.

Good summer job for decent money.

Former Employee - Server
    Former Employee - Server

I worked at Cracker Barrel part-time for less than a year

Pros

You can make decent money as a server for a restaurant with cheap food/no alcohol. The other servers were usually friendly and had an "all in this together" mentality. It is a good restaurant to work as a server to gain experience if you want to work in other restaurants later.

Cons

You don't necessarily get off work when you're scheduled, which is difficult if you have other plans. Having to roll silverware after your shift had ended because there was no clean silverware during your entire shift was very annoying, as servers had no say in whether or not there was clean silverware.

management

Former Employee - Line Cook  in  Tucson, AZ
    Former Employee - Line Cook in Tucson, AZ

I worked at Cracker Barrel full-time for more than a year

Pros

I worked at several locations most management was great

Cons

management at the store in Tucson, Az was horrible if you get behind instead of them helping out they yell at you to the poiint you want to leave and not go back .

there is a way to motivate you and unless you are in the military screaming at people doesnt get it done talk to people like they are people

Wouldn't work for again.

Former Employee - Cashier  in  Wichita Falls, TX
    Former Employee - Cashier in Wichita Falls, TX

I worked at Cracker Barrel full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Accommodated my school schedule, training happened monthly. Was able to take leave whenever I needed for health and personal reasons.

Cons

Lack of communication a problem between employees and supervisors; one supervisor would tell you one thing and another would counter that with something different. Raises that were recommended and approved were never put in the system and ignored for months on end.

Keep all the managers on the same page when it comes to training employees and passing on instructions.

Tough

Former Employee - Server  in  Williamsburg, VA
    Former Employee - Server in Williamsburg, VA

I worked at Cracker Barrel full-time for more than a year

Pros

able to move up, can transfer with ease, routine

Cons

No breaks or sitting even if it was the law, extremely hard work heavy plates, awful uniform, unhealthy food, poor tippers, difficult environment to work in

I am sure they are doing well since it's a server job. They try but money is always more important than a workers "feelings" - Sometimes you just have to take a job. They know how bad it is. Management has no say really either

Positive, enthusiastic, and challenging best describe the retail aspect of Cracker Barrel.

Current Employee - Retail Shift Leader
    Current Employee - Retail Shift Leader

I have been working at Cracker Barrel part-time for more than a year

Pros

The company values its employees. Positive environment. Better than standard employee benefits. Flexible scheduling. Three pay raises in first year.

Cons

Only part-time. Few hours. Start minimum wage. Training is only adequate.

Training should be a focus with emphasis on high level trainers and enough time to thoroughly work through the material with the trainee and review. Management should play a larger role in training by working alongside the trainer to maintain a high level of execution. Also, there should be great effort afforded toward improving restaurant and retail parternership on ALL levels. Communication is lacking and the problem is that managers do not care about their retail/restaurant partner's success.

Cashier/ Retail

Former Employee - Cashier/Retail  in  Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Cashier/Retail in Columbus, OH

I worked at Cracker Barrel part-time for more than a year

Pros

Great customers very friendly, and I also made alot of friends there.

Cons

Too strict, Couldn't paint my nails, wear my hair down(even though I was a cashier) No piercings even if you have a clear retainer. I felt like I was in russia being bossed around so much they made it no fun working there.

Stop being so uptight, this isnt the old ages. People have tattoos and piercings just dont allow alot of them. I dont see what the big deal was with painted nails, especially when not even handling food.

Worked for Cracker Barrel? Contribute to the Community!