Cracker Barrel

Updated December 16, 2014
3.1

Cracker Barrel President & CEO Sandra B. Cochran
Sandra B. Cochran

Pros
  • Flexible schedule, always an item of the day to promote to talk about to customers (in 32 reviews)

• the only pros to working at this company are great people servers are great (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • having to work long hours on your feet with no break, disappointing paychecks (in 26 reviews)

• Getting anything close to full time is fairly difficult unless you are a grill cook (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

Go ahead &tell your family you won't be attending thanksgiving or Christmas because they're open on those days and it's mandatory that you work.

Former Employee - Server in Bowling Green, KY
    Former Employee - Server in Bowling Green, KY

I worked at Cracker Barrel part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good tips. $10/hour on average give or take depending how good you are. Fun coworkers.

Cons

Rude old people. You HAVE to work holidays. No breaks. Gm doesn't pay attention to your availability even though you have worked there over a year and repeatedly tell them you have class a certain time they still schedule you outside availability.

Cracker Barrel, Not So Friendly.

Former Employee - Hostess in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Hostess in Miami, FL

I worked at Cracker Barrel part-time (more than an year)

Pros

If you want a raise you have to take a long test, what is this high school? And if you don't pass the test, forget about your raise till next month. The pay isn't worth it if your going to work as a hostess in cracker-barrel. The managers ask too much of you, they make you work long hours and don't even give you a break. ( Which isn't even legal.) I only had a break once just because the district manager told me that i can have a 5 minute break.

Cons

Working with the employees in Cracker Barrel is the biggest challenge of working in this place. The workers may seem like nice people but they are fake. They don't treat their employees like they should. If your a hostess your constantly going to get yelled at everyday, it can ether be from the manager the waiter or even the buss boy. Everyone there is mad at the world, and always have a nasty comment to say. Waiters are constantly fighting with each other In the kitchen, I once had a waitress scream at me in front of a customer just to complain that she needed to be seated more. All the waiters there are greedy and don't understand that the hostess have to follow the computer system. They are constantly hovering over your shoulder to see who you are going to sit next. You cant understand those waiters some days they get mad cause you aren't sitting them enough and other days they get upset when you sit them too much. The manager tells the hostess to direct the bus boys which tables to clean and they get pissed if you dare tell them to clean a table. They will say nasty comments to you and sometimes wont even clean the table just because they don't feel like it. You wont ever have a permanent schedule in Cracker Barrel it was so hard for me to have a normal life. I was never able to make plans because I wouldn't know if my manager was going to change it. And forget about having a day off, sometimes on my day of I had to put my phone on silent because I knew they were going to call me to go in.

Mangers should have professional people who actually have hospitality.

At the hands of the GM

Current Employee - Associate Manager in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Associate Manager in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Cracker Barrel full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Pay was good. Corporate systems were in place to make managing easier. Employee training program is phenomenal.

Cons

Turnover high - both management and employee. Inconsistent use of systems in place. Difficult to hold some employees accountable.

More in-depth look into the systems that the GM is actually using. Hod GM's accountable to the policies (time off, weekends).

Decent work, IF you get a good General manager.

Former Employee - Host in McDonough, GA
    Former Employee - Host in McDonough, GA

I worked at Cracker Barrel part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Full filling work, nice customers, kept busy

Cons

Poor leadership, about the same as any other food service place honestly.

Don't be racist.

Cashier

Former Employee - Cashier
    Former Employee - Cashier

I worked at Cracker Barrel (more than an year)

Pros

I learned a lot that has helped me in my current job. Most of the people were great to work with. It great for young people in college and high school since they are flexible but unless in management it's not a career.

Cons

When they hire someone they need to be told if they are full time or part time because one week you would have 40 hours and the next 20 hours. They are very strick on everything and try to focus way to hard on the image of "country fresh". It gets very annoying.

When hiring let them know of what hours they will get so there is no hard feeling when you are getting 40 hours one week 20 the next and 30 the next.

Relaxed and behind in times.

Current Employee - Associate Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Associate Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Cracker Barrel full-time (less than an year)

Pros

They offer a competitive salary, however, you will have to work for it.

Cons

During the interview process they ask your age.. They will max out your hours that you work each week.

Work on the number of hours that the management teams work each week. Also, professional interviews need to take place.

Current retail employee 1yr Crossville Tennessee

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Crossville, TN
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Crossville, TN

I have been working at Cracker Barrel part-time (more than an year)

Pros

nice place to work not a lot of pressure and great company motto pleasing people

Cons

when they post your work schedule for the week with your hours on it and you count on that pay they will many times take away your hours without notifying you or tell you not to come in until just 3 hours before your to go in on your shift . I'm having to check my hours online or on my smartphone during the time I'm not there to see if I'm working or not or how many hours they cut away from me. I'm not one of the servers I work in the retail store so I don't make tips and count on my hourly pay to make my living I'm 61 years old and by myself .I only get 25 hours a week and a lot of times not even that.I don't have a second income so I barely make enough to survive.

be considerate notify your employees when there's been changes made to the hours after you have posted them stay in touch and let them know why you've had to cut their hours these employees don't make management pay their hourly

Okay for part-time; management could use work

Former Employee - Server in Kennesaw, GA
    Former Employee - Server in Kennesaw, GA

I worked at Cracker Barrel part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Servers are able to keep 100% of their tips, there are not a great deal of restrictions on the uniform, and there is a good deal of mobility between working as a server or hostess, or as a sales rep in the store connected to the restaurant.

Cons

Even if you are a 5 year employee, all employees still have to pay for their meals (however there is a discount); friends and family are not allowed to use your employee discount unless you are present and the one who's paying; there is a tendency to over-schedule.

Allow for flexibility with hours, especially for employees that are also full-time students.

Great Coworkers - Crap Management

Former Employee - Cashier/Retail in Birmingham, AL
    Former Employee - Cashier/Retail in Birmingham, AL

I worked at Cracker Barrel part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible scheduling, meeting a lot of new and interesting people, and having (mostly) great coworkers

Cons

Low salary, 'punishment' of having your hours cut if you have to miss a shift, store management is hit-or-miss - you get some really great ones and some really bad ones and never the two shall mesh cohesively, enforcement of company policy depends on the manager and their mood, long shifts with no break, great benefits but very few get the hours needed to take advantage of them.

Everyone needs to be on the same page, enforcement of company policies needs to apply to everyone - if you're going to have favorites, slip them a corn muffin on the sly but don't let them get away with gross violations of policy while writing up someone else for every perceived violation. Remember "Pleasing People" should start with the people working for you, who in turn will work harder to please the guests.

good place to work for the most part, except for a few things

Former Employee - Server in Loveland, CO
    Former Employee - Server in Loveland, CO

I worked at Cracker Barrel part-time (less than an year)

Pros

-plenty of business!
    -pleasant culture and high standards for servers/hosts/cashiers. Which means that you dont have to work with a server/host/cashier who is absolutely awful.
    -the management was extremely helpful in telling you how to succeed and furthermore, they were exceptionally approachable.

Cons

-WAY TO MANY SERVERS! on a slow night, we typically had 8-10 servers working, which means that most of the time you get 1 maybe 2 tables in an hour. I understand the mentality behind having alot of servers however when they all get frustrated because they dont make enough money, I think things should change slightly. This goes for the entire restaurant as well, for the most part you are scheduled for 10-15 hours per week so if you need more than that, you really have to pick up as many shifts as you can.
    -Alot of the time the back of house workers really slack off. during rush times they are alright, but the rest of the time you have to really pester them to get your tables food out.
    -The only other thing was that I found alot of the time you would get a particular day requested off and the management would clear that particular day, then when the schedule came out you would be working the EXACT day and time they agreed you could have off.

I would focus on making sure you are not over scheduling consistently. Occasionally you over schedule by accident, but when you know tuesdays are ridiculously slow, why on earth would you schedule 10 servers just to send them home right when they get there?
    other than that, they were a pretty great place to work for. I enjoyed everyone.

Cracker Barrel Photos