Cracker Barrel Reviews

707 reviews filtered by

Eh...

Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate

I have been working at Cracker Barrel part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people I work with are cool, sometimes anyway. Everyone treats everyone like family.

Cons

Everything else sucks... The pay is crap, most of the managers are rude and don't care, they will condescend you on everything you say, make you work on the days you said you specifically can't work, and the "guests" are no better.

Advice to Management

Treat people with respect, you are a manager for a reason.

2. Respected for performance, and palatibility but pay was bull for my expertise

Former Employee - Dishwasher in Boone, NC
    Former Employee - Dishwasher in Boone, NC

I worked at Cracker Barrel

Pros

Health insurance with United health care. (The beat provided) you only have to May 33% of the premium, also. Which was nice. I'd liked cheap medical bills. They're respectful if you work better, smarter, and more assertively than management.

Cons

Highly condemned upon mistakes from all levels of management. (Associate, general, district, and regional even)... My applicable work was well under paid. Greedy greedy greedy... If the managers don't get their bonuses on top of their over payed salaries their greed causes on explosion upon labor costs. There is a very low sense of
    Moral at all levels of Employment here (Never ever excluding management)... I'm just being honest here. You have the nitty
    Gritty
    When cooking and work in all stations of the kitchen (voluntarily
    And being well underplayed). JUST BECAUSE YOU ARE NUMBER ONE DOESNT MEAN ALL THE MONEY OS DESERVED TO CRACKER BARREL IN BOONE YOU INCOMPOTENT IMBOUCELS. DONT YOU KNOW WHO JESUS IS?!?SHARE THE WEALTH... OR WORK BY YOURSELF
    AND FOR YOURSELF.

Advice to Management

Learn some people skills. Without people and human resources you have nothing. If you don't know how to please your employees you suck at
    Managing. Flat out, simplicity. You surely reap what you sow. If things don't work together (SYNERGYSTICALLY) you probably need to stop being so _______.

3. Retail

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Feather Sound, FL
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Feather Sound, FL

I worked at Cracker Barrel

Pros

Flexible hours, discount, look at merchandise, flexible days, food discount

Cons

Retail hours, standing on feet all day, closing

Advice to Management

Avoid favoritism

5. Cashier

I worked at Cracker Barrel

Pros

The food is good and fellow co-workers were friendly and helpful.

Cons

The manager is rude. They have a high turnover rate for a reason. They don't pay enough.

6. It was a great experience and I would definitely go back

Current Employee - Operations Analyst in Lebanon, TN
    Current Employee - Operations Analyst in Lebanon, TN

I have been working at Cracker Barrel full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They care about their employees and want them to be the best and make sure they are happy. They have very good benefits and really support a great work life balance. The people you work with make it an amazing place to come every day.

Cons

They struggle with change as well as introducing new ideas/technology/programs as it takes them longer than normal to make small changes. The salary in my opinion is below average.

Advice to Management

Try to develop and introduce new technology for better analysis and more efficient reporting.

Cracker Barrel as a company

Current Employee - Back-Up Cook in Barboursville, WV
    Current Employee - Back-Up Cook in Barboursville, WV

I have been working at Cracker Barrel

Pros

The par system puts raises in your own hands. The company prefers to promote from within.

Cons

Some managers still show favoritism. If information is placed in the system incorrectly it can take a long time to be fixed

Advice to Management

Make certain to treat all employees equally and follow through on promises to your employees. Promote good employees and replace the ones that don't do their job

8. manager

Former Employee - Associate Manager in McDonough, GA
    Former Employee - Associate Manager in McDonough, GA

I worked at Cracker Barrel

Pros

Money was good. We had some great employees.

Cons

Extremely conservative company. Care about the hourly employees and guest. No support for managers. As a manager the company will not support or back you up in any situation regarding a guest or employee.

Advice to Management

Do not apply . I spent 5 years with them. Big mistake.

9. It was good for a while and it paid the bills but at the end of the day if its you or the managers... Managers win.

Current Employee - Grill Cook in Asheville, NC
    Current Employee - Grill Cook in Asheville, NC

I have been working at Cracker Barrel

Pros

Competitive pay with other restaurants

Cons

For the amount of work expected, pay should be higher. Your hours are never garaunteed. Even if you're their best, they'll still walk all over you and ask you to jump through hoops for them.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees like you care if they can maintain their income working for you. Listen to your experienced employees.

10. Server

Current Employee - Par IV Server
    Current Employee - Par IV Server

I have been working at Cracker Barrel part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Sometimes the customers are nice.. I make just barely enough money.

Cons

Management turnover is horrible and for good reason. Co-workers have no idea how to work like a team. GM is constantly yelling at servers. We never leave work when we are scheduled to- it is atleast 30 min-3 hours afterwards due to doing sidework, rolling silverware, picking up other peoples slack, or simply just because we are still busy and management wont send us home. Servers are expected to everything in the restaurant. If a meal is messed up and we are busy, it takes forever to get fixed because the grill cooks practically ignore the Server Assistant in the window. I am not old, but I work so hard here (taking care of my guests as well as everyone elses) that I feel like an 80-year-old woman. There is never any reward to working here besides having a small wad of cash in your pocked when you are FINALLY leaving. Oh- and half the time when you think you are about to get off, you realize that you don't get off for another several hours because they changed the schedule last night and didn't tell you. Resulting in canceled plans and hated management.

Advice to Management

Maybe don't stop a server when she is incredibly busy and demand that she stop what she is doing to sweep the floor. There are better ways to approach things that will result in getting the job done.

11. terrible

Current Employee - Grill Cook in Dickson, TN
    Current Employee - Grill Cook in Dickson, TN

I have been working at Cracker Barrel part-time

Pros

You do get raised and cheap food

Cons

Managers think they are better than u and u have no sympathy just work, also no breaks no matter what. I'm in night school and worked from 2pm-1am no break on several occasions and still get my hours cut

Advice to Management

Get off your high horse and treat your employees with respect