CraftWorks Restaurants and Breweries

Not yet rated.

Allen Corey

Long-time employee

Bartender/Server (Former Employee)

I worked at CraftWorks Restaurants and Breweries full-time for more than 5 years

ProsI know from my experience within the breweries I worked in (both before and after the Craftworks merger) that the work atmosphere was always positive. Co-workers were more like family and management, although not always the greatest decision-makers, always had an open door policy.

ConsLike most corporate restaurant chains, upper management pushes servers and bartenders to sell items like Rewards Cards/loyalty memberships, or else loss of shifts/bad shifts/write-ups. Seniority and hard work often goes unnoticed and, seemingly, unappreciated.

Advice to Senior ManagementInstead of punishments, incentives and positive reinforcement are better tactics to increase morale and drive to push cards on every customer. Promote your hard-working employees that deserve it and to senior employees who have put in several years to the business.

It's sort of like the Titanic.... you know it's going to sink, but when?

Chattanooga, TN

ProsGreat food, great beer and discounts on both. I really enjoyed working in this industry and made some great friends while working here. At least I made a pretty good paycheck while working here. Benefits were great until 2013, when they were revamped and now they are just average.

ConsManagement. You couldn't trust a single thing my manager said. You were told what you wanted to hear and then those promises were later broken. Senior management looks to place the blame on someone for their own incompetence. Departments are always pointing the finger somewhere else when something fails. Very little growth opportunity at the corporate level. Raises (if you got one) did not keep up with the increase in the cost of living.

Advice to Senior ManagementHold people accountable for their actions, including yourselves. Culture here is a joke. Stop playing favorites. Get your corporate office under one roof. Having one office in Chattanooga and one office in Denver doesn't work.

Good company with a lot of growth potential.

I worked at CraftWorks Restaurants and Breweries

ProsHand crafted beers, made from scratch food.

ConsBonus structure difficult to achieve.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake care of people before they leave, nothing is as expensive as hiring and training.

Say what you mean and do what you say.

I worked at CraftWorks Restaurants and Breweries full-time for more than a year

ProsThere are great advantages working for a company that has good food and good beer. The food and the beer :) However, a person cannot live on food and beer alone.

I have seen some minor positive changes that I think over time will advance the company and their outlook.

ConsLack of structure. Lack of communication. Lack of accountability. I do think that management intentions are good but they don't know how to follow through and execute either from lack of training or qualifications.

Advice to Senior ManagementSay what you mean and do what you say. It is hard for employees to TRUST you when you never follow through and consistently allow bad behavior.

A Tale of Two Cities

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe people and the industry - you can't beat good beer and good food, and there really is a ton of integrity behind the brewing team and the R&D staff.

ConsThe corporate office is in Chattanooga and there is a satellite office in Denver - which makes a holistic approach to the work at hand difficult. Two cities that reflect two different regional cultures and business cultures with very little authentic leadership allowed from the Denver office. People generally mean well in all that they do, but it's so hard to run a business well when you don't have the chance to interact with people who are supposed to be your team-mates on a day to day basis.

Advice to Senior Management360 degree performance reviews, and hold people accountable for the Tablestakes. Without accountability, they're just buzzwords.

Craftworks suffers from growing pains.

Assistant Manager (Current Employee)
Denver, CO

I have been working at CraftWorks Restaurants and Breweries full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThey have developed some good restaurant management systems and their marketing is constant. There is a broad support system when needed for IT, repairs, human resources, payroll, etc. The salaries and benefits are competitive.

ConsThe company is combining several brands under one umbrella and over homogenizing to the point where they all suffer loss of identity. They follow a business model of raising volume while reducing labor year after year...which is of course unsustainable over an extended period without losing volume due to poor service from under staffing. There has been a consistent exodus of talent from the managerial ranks.

Avoid

I have been working at CraftWorks Restaurants and Breweries full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGood brand refresh
Good overall brand concept
Employee benefits and scheduling all online
Moving up in the company is decent at best, a veteran server would take a pay cut as a starting manager though.

ConsMinimal benefits for hourly employees
Cut/deleted employee rewards
Bottom Line Driven
Fear/Scare tactics used by Senior management
Huge disconnect between corporate and store level
Senior management has little/no actual restaurant experience
Employees are discarded promptly after voicing any concern over changes etc

Advice to Senior ManagementVisit the restaurants, be personal and friendly with staff, listen to concerns, make them feel more appreciated and test your policies at the store level for their effectiveness before implementing them.

I've loved working for CraftWorks; the work is challenging and the coworkers are fun.

I have been working at CraftWorks Restaurants and Breweries full-time

ProsThe company development and growth are probably the most exciting things. We are refreshing the menus of our brands, and remodeling many of the restaurants during 2013. Once we have all of our restaurants on the same page, we will be growing; opening new stores by leaps and bounds! This means more employment opportunities as well.
CraftWorks definitely is a company on the up and up.

ConsBecause of all the refreshing and growing there is a lot of work to be done. You have to come prepared to work, but I see that as good job security, right?

Advice to Senior ManagementI've heard a lot - I mean a lot - of great stories about people advancing their careers through our restaurants and on to the corporate office; some even all the way from restaurant hourly to corporate SVP-level. I think it's clear there is a great deal of advancement opportunities here, especially with all of the expected growth.

Avoid this company at all costs.

I worked at CraftWorks Restaurants and Breweries

ProsIt is better to be working than unemployed.

ConsCompany has no concern for employees- the entire company is bottom line driven. People are used and discarded. Managers experience 70+ hour weeks with regularity. Upper management administers through "fear tactics". This company is going South FAST. If you have an alternative seize it.

Worked for CraftWorks Restaurants and Breweries? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at CraftWorks Restaurants and Breweries reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for CraftWorks Restaurants and Breweries CEO Allen Corey. All 9 reviews posted anonymously by CraftWorks Restaurants and Breweries employees.