Crain Communications

Updated September 29, 2014
2.8

Crain Communications President Rance E. Crain
Rance E. Crain

Pros
  • very respectable benefits package, including profit-sharing (in 5 reviews)

• Publications are made of entrepreneurial minded and passionate professionals (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • The business units are ran like separate companies and it isn't efficient (in 3 reviews)

• Print industry challenges are impacting Crain and it's publications (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

I.T. is Wild West

Former Employee - Desktop Support  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Desktop Support in New York, NY

I worked at Crain Communications full-time for more than a year

Pros

After hours support was minimal. Office location is good. Some of my co-workers taught me a lot - it was a great place to learn new things.

Cons

Compensation was below average, and there was a lot of cronyism. I remember they had a network administrator in Detroit who was utterly clueless - obviously promoted to that position for non-skill reasons.

Look at your people and who is doing what. Reward based on merit.

Media company - need I say more?

I worked at Crain Communications

Pros

Corporate office talks a good game and does provide some decent benefits/perks

Cons

But this is a media company and they are scrambling like all the others. It depends on the title, but the atmosphere on the title I worked on was poisonous. Several people left with nothing to go to while inept managers are left in place.

Pay attention to staffing and not the bottom line so much

Limited to no development of employees. Stagnant culture.

I worked at Crain Communications full-time

Pros

You meet some great people.

Cons

There is no development plan, no vision and no work/life balance. HR is non-existent.

Business units should share information - it would save the company a tremendous amount of money if everyone could capitalize on each team's wins - and learn from mis-steps.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company to work for

Former Employee - Sales  in  Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Sales in Detroit, MI

I worked at Crain Communications full-time for more than a year

Pros

Strong products to sell for publications

Cons

Management changes appear to be coming

Increase digital opportunities/products

Face it...it is over!

I worked at Crain Communications full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Stellar brands (adage, crain's business.).., pretty good work / life balance. Some of the best reporting in the business.

Cons

Well I just don't see much of a future for this company, with the print media business model disappearing, an supervised 3rd generational transition, petty family in-fighting, no strategic plan or vision.

Sell it! then maybe some of the brands will survive and prosper .

A once great company that is slowly losing steam due to the sinking print industry.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Crain Communications full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

A few really great coworkers and managers. Most upper management is easily approachable and friendly. Salary is competitive, given the industry. Very little micro-management if you can prove your capabilities. Opportunities for growth if you're willing to go the extra mile and put in (unpaid) overtime.

Cons

No comradery or culture within the company. Horrible communication at every level of the company (ironic, given the name). Very easy to plateau at a certain level because everyone is in their own world. Working for corporate is not appealing at all due to typical business politics. Hard to get noticed by upper management. Older staff has no clue how to use technology or adapt to the transition to digital. Many hard workers, but also a lot of dead weight employees dragging them down. No 401K matching, and profit sharing is very little.

Find ways to be more communicative to the staff since the "trickle down" of information never happens. Improve corporate staff, who are all typical older white male businessmen who are better at going to meetings and talking about big ideas, rather than actually executing them.

Passion and Integrity!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Crain Communications full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Publications are made of entrepreneurial minded and passionate professionals. Corporate groups have grown and are there to provide support to the brands. All of the offices I've seen make a great first impression! Community involvement and charity work is viewed as important to leadership and build cross brand relationships. Benefits are in alignment with what I've seen elsewhere but family friendly culture is above norm.

Cons

No organization is perfect. Better communication of successes across the publications and reasons for any changes would benefit all but is not uncommon in a company with multiple business/operating units.

Contact Center Analyst

Current Employee - Contact Center Analyst  in  Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Contact Center Analyst in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Crain Communications full-time for more than a year

Pros

VEry nice company to work for.

Cons

traffic can be pretty congested at times

Management is great, they are not micro managers

Yikes! It's a sinking ship. Prospective employees steer clear!

I have been working at Crain Communications full-time

Pros

A select group of fellow employees are genuinely smart, so it's nice to be around intelligent hard workers who you can learn from and grow with (unfortunately for us, it seems that with each passing day lately, one of these intelligent people makes the choice to leave the sinking ship of a company! Good for them, though funny to receive daily 'goodbye' emails).

Cons

Titles and salaries do not reflect actual job. Zero growth opportunity: in many departments, there is no way to actually learn from a manager, due to the fact that the manager seems to know a great deal less than his/her team. No consideration for proper planning: requests are made and it's a very "drop everything - my work is the most important" type of atmosphere. Emails come in after hours and over the weekend with the expectation that they will be answered.

Please stop lying about your knowledge. Please stop taking full credit for others' ideas. Please take ownership of your own roles. Please ACTUALLY listen to your employees when they talk to you. Please realize a good employee when you see one instead of pushing them to the point of running as fast as they can out the door. Advice to HR: Please remove the managers who have had many complaints filed against them -- it's a detriment to current staff to keep those folks around.

Prospective employees, beware.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Akron, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Akron, OH

I have been working at Crain Communications full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Used to be a good company for which to work...not anymore.

Cons

No promotions, raises barely exist - 1% a year across the board except for management with their big bonus' sucking the life out of the subordinates that cannot get ahead. Management has no clue how to manage effectively, especially in the Akron, Ohio office.

Get rid of the yes men that have no idea how to run a company.

Worked for Crain Communications? Contribute to the Community!