Crane Aerospace & Electronics

Updated December 19, 2014
2.5

Crane Aerospace & Electronics Co-Presidents Bob Tavares and Brendan Curran
Bob Tavares and Brendan Curran

Pros
  • The 9/80 work week is the best thing about Crane (in 11 reviews)

• Great people who generously give their time and resources back to the community (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Half the time work/life balance was ok, the other half it was pretty terrible (in 6 reviews)

• Long hours and lower to average pay (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Not the best or worst place to work

I have been working at Crane Aerospace & Electronics full-time

Pros

The people are good to work with

Cons

lack of advancement for some

Former Employee

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Caldwell, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Caldwell, NJ

I worked at Crane Aerospace & Electronics

Pros

Benefits were okay and most co-workers were professional and very nice to work with.

Cons

I think the leadership team in Redmond had been the most lackluster I had ever experienced in more than 30 years. Any organization that uses the catch phrase that "we make things painful' is one that has truly lost its way in leading, motivating and inspiring a work force. I had never before worked in such a demanding environment where the only feedback you would receive would be negative. It's pretty hard to work for an executive that is so incredibly arrogant and who is always the "smartest guy" in the room (and he's only too happy to share that with you each time you interface with him). The very demanding and demotivating management style ultimately led to an exodus of talent from the site. Someday, young college students be studying the downfall of this organization in an MBA program.

A dramatic shift in leadership style and corporate culture is required.

Not much respect for professionals

Current Employee - Electrical Engineer II in Lynnwood, WA
    Current Employee - Electrical Engineer II in Lynnwood, WA

I have been working at Crane Aerospace & Electronics full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fridays off every other week. There's a few managers who are people-oriented and nice to work with.

Cons

meetings meeting meetings, now a bunch of teamwork training because the management thinks professionals don't need any skills except teamwork. Pretty contradictory when you see how the management continually ignores advice from the workers. When a schedule is being created for a new program they don't ask the professionals their opinion about the length of tasks, they just dictate a schedule to you. Don't respect their opinion. Don't even ask their opinion. That's teamwork? No. That is just dictatorship.

management should respect their employees instead of trying to find ways to insult them.

Difficult company to work for.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Caldwell, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Caldwell, NJ

Pros

9/80 work schedule. Fellow employees work hard and are fun to work with.

Cons

Under staffed. Upper management is constantly changing and the president insults those below him. Bad decisions have created chaos and management doesn't take credit for causing poor moral. Unqualified personnel are raised to high levels and management listens to idiotic advice.

Build moral and stop blaming workers for your bad choices.

Steady work

Current Employee - Not Listed in Burbank, CA
    Current Employee - Not Listed in Burbank, CA

I have been working at Crane Aerospace & Electronics full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Ok salary ... Always busy

Cons

Way too much overtime. Certain supervisors giving the company a bad name

Stop the harasment on lower level employees
    And be just and fair across the board

Overworked with no direction

Former Employee - Buyer/Planner in Lynnwood, WA
    Former Employee - Buyer/Planner in Lynnwood, WA

I worked at Crane Aerospace & Electronics as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Great production staff, location, and cool products

Cons

Lack of leadership, direction, and follow though.

Focus on training and development on all levels.

8 years of experience with Crane

Former Employee - Senior Manufacturing Engineer in Lynnwood, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Manufacturing Engineer in Lynnwood, WA

I worked at Crane Aerospace & Electronics full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

It was one of the best companies I have ever worked in my 48 years of employment. The management has changed significantly while I worked there and the philosophy was first class. That I think has changed as long term employees left the company. I set my own hours and rarely had to work more than 8 hours, which I faithfully fulfilled.

Cons

Benefits are tightening up and increases are minimum, unless you really break your butt. Even then, it is 2% or maybe 3% if you can walk on water. However, success always depends on your production and capabilities no matter where you work. I was experienced and applied myself with that experience and was highly recognized. Annual Bonuses are unfortunately dependent on the group and group goals, forcing low averaging the payout.

Crane has succeeded in satisfying the stock holders well but has not shared that success with the employees. Usually they tout the private offering to upper level engineers, etc., if they produce but you are lucky to get 1% or .5%. I suppose that carrot is better than nothing, I guess.

Engineer

Current Employee - Engineering in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Engineering in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Crane Aerospace & Electronics as an intern

Pros

Fantastic place to work! The company truly values diversity in their employees and values each employee's unique skill sets. Managers provide excellent guidance and training and are very friendly and take the time out to get to know everyone and their goals. A lot of opportunities for experience and professional growth. The company highly encourages an open, friendly, and collaborative environment among employees and company customers.

Cons

When employees leave for vacation and something goes wrong in their area, there is normally no other person who can troubleshoot in their absence

Good people being ill-treated

Former Employee - Electronic Technician in Beverly, MA
    Former Employee - Electronic Technician in Beverly, MA

I worked at Crane Aerospace & Electronics full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The 9/80 work week is the best thing about Crane. The engineers, technicians and assemblers that I worked with were both hard working and knowledgeable and were able to make up for the chronic understaffing. Pay is about the industry norm.

Cons

Chronic understaffing means that heroic effort is expected but not appreciated. Overtime is almost never authorized. I felt sorry for the salaried engineers who were expected to work nights, weekends and holidays to try to meet the unrealistic deadlines the planning group set. Raises were miniscule and recognition for hard work nonexistent.

Stop putting non-technical managers in charge of technical personnel and consult with the technical staff before making promises to the customer. R T Crane said “I am resolved to conduct my business in the strictest honesty and fairness; to avoid all deception and trickery; to deal fairly with both customers and competitors; to be liberal and just toward employees and to put my whole mind upon the business.” Current managements actions make a mockery of this!

Mismanaged company

Current Employee - Engineering in Beverly, MA
    Current Employee - Engineering in Beverly, MA

Pros

When crane first purchased the company from Signal Technology things looked great until the upper management started to reorganize how things ran to fall under the "Crane way" of thinking. as time went on thing as steadily getting worse and now they are closing facilities and laying off people. the funny thing is that the location they are moving our product lines to doesn't want the work and are refusing to cooperate.

Cons

favoritism is king in this place if the management likes you things will go well in your career.

listen to your employees and stop thinking you know how to run an electronic company, maybe you should go back to making toilets instead.

Crane Aerospace & Electronics Photos