Crane Aerospace & Electronics

Updated September 28, 2014
2.5

Crane Aerospace & Electronics Co-Presidents Bob Tavares and Brendan Curran
Bob Tavares and Brendan Curran

Pros
  • The 9/80 work week is the best thing about Crane (in 11 reviews)

• Great people who generously give their time and resources back to the community (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Half the time work/life balance was ok, the other half it was pretty terrible (in 6 reviews)

• Long hours and lower to average pay (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

This is one of the most enjoyable and comfortable positions and companies I have worked for.

Current Employee - Senior Manufacturing Engineer in Lynnwood, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Manufacturing Engineer in Lynnwood, WA

I have been working at Crane Aerospace & Electronics full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

They care about their employees over all and treat them with monthly treats. Flexibility to move around to other positions is good. The management at the lower level is more understanding of mistakes. They want to get to the root of the problem rather than crucify the employee. This is a non union shop and there is no desire of most of the employees of ever considering union introduction.

Cons

Current trends in management may be more restrictive in many freedoms that employees used to have. However, there was some time to much laxity on the floor, so some tightening was necessary, but this can go a little too far. The pay increase rate is not as high as other companies during this good time. They are very successful in stock holders increased revenue but they do not share that growth with the employees.

When there is a very good year, like last year, management should share some of that plenty with at least their "good" employees. If they can't do that, there better be a good explanation why not. Even their normal employees should see some increase in pay. This last year there was no increases. That is not good practice. Crane loses their talent to Boeing all the time.

Good Company

Pros

I've been working at Crane Co. for eight years and I enjoy the people. Most of the people I work with are delightful. Most of the engineers are among the very best in the business.

Cons

None that I can think of. I have really enjoyed my time with the Crane Co. I've learned alot.

If you've ever wanted to be in the Circus, here is your chance.....

I worked at Crane Aerospace & Electronics full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Most of the people (management).....

Cons

Senior Management, including those in Redmond, make commitments to the customers and tell them they are all equally important..... this is not the case.... the company reacts to those who yell the loudest..... There is no Human in the HR department..... Mid-level Management turnover is quite high....

Have fun and good luck..... i hope you fail miserably....

Crane Redmond - A great place to be FROM

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Crane Aerospace & Electronics full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

9/80 shift. However, the fact that almost everyone agrees this is a good thing will probably mean it will be taken away.

Cons

It was eye-opening to scan these review and see that so many of the problems at Redmond are occurring at every location, especially quality problems and Engineering turnover and morale issues. Reviews from FWB and Merrimack are identical to Chandler and Lynnwood. Specifically at Redmond:
    * Every department is overworked/underpaid. The brain drain from people leaving has had a tremendous negative impact, extremely difficult to get anything done. Morale is terrible. HR is a joke.
    *Pay raises are either nothing or limited to 2% which is less than increases in employee contributions to medical/dental. Crane recently cut longevity rewards to next to nothing, which is in line with Corporate's attitudes towards employee retention and how they value employees in general, which is not at all. No value is placed on loyalty, job knowledge, tribal knowledge, or historical knowledge of customers or products.
    *Mid-management is so overworked and stressed, they spend most of their time trying to keep their heads above water and writing reports no one will read - and keeping their job - so development or feedback for their people is non-existent.
    And, along with everyone else, seriously, if I see that ridiculous, hypocritical RA Crane slide one more time I'll scream.

Bob Tavares is completely worthless but manages to make everyone's life hell by jumping into stuff he SHOULD know but doesn't - and ignoring the issues that are killing the company. All he seems to care about is décor. Really, Bob, my plant sticking up above the height of my cube wall is THE issue you need to resolve today?
    Return our names to real names - the ones customers actually recognize. We spend hours every week re-directing engineers and customers - and even other Crane employees - to the correct site.
    No upward flow of ideas - no one with a brain trusts the "anonymous" board we're supposed to be able to write on.
    Crane is a perfect example of what is wrong with business in America. Crane is the same as Bain Capital - purely in it for the money. Why they keep buying great engineering companies and then gutting the quality and engineering departments that made us great is beyond me.

RT Crane is rolling in his grave.....

I worked at Crane Aerospace & Electronics full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Crane Business System, most hourly and salary individuals.....

Cons

President and VPs..... get a clue, get on the work floor to understand what everyone does. Company did not pay employees while a hurricane hit on the east coast, made them take PTO.

To the President, we know you worked at Maycom and as an engineering manager, so quit reminding us every time you get on the tree stump.... use more "we" in your speeches and less "me" and "I"

Crane Review

I have been working at Crane Aerospace & Electronics

Pros

Great people to work with/for.

Cons

Recent managment changes creating unrest.

Employees do not like termoil in their work enviornment. This has driven many valuable employees to other companies.

Smart Workers, great customer's horrible corporate managment

Former Employee - Engineering in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Engineering in Redmond, WA

I worked at Crane Aerospace & Electronics full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Smart People. Interesting technology, interesting work, Beautiful campus. Interesting customer's with challenging problems to solve

Cons

Corporate management is cold, ruthless unimaginative and not very intelligent . They are not disconnected or unaware of what they are doing, they are completely aware of their actions and the misery they create for employees-they just don't care as long as they can enrich themselves. When an opportunity to enrich the management or shareholders at the expense of the employees-they always choose to do so.

The tactics they use such as eliminating raises even though the company is profitable will work while the economy is bad but there will be a a mass exodus when the economy improves.

It's a place to collect a paycheck

I have been working at Crane Aerospace & Electronics full-time

Pros

Most of the people are very nice and the pay is decent

Cons

Management like a lot of corporate America only care about themselves and not the people who make them look good. The put on a wage delay or possible freeze this year, but not before bonuses where given to management.

Share the wealth

Great learning experience

Current Employee - Software Engineer II in Lynnwood, WA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer II in Lynnwood, WA

Pros

Feature ownership creates learning opportunities
    Managers are supportive of salaried employees

Cons

Corporate shows no interest in retention
    Conservative staffing leads to frequent periods of overworked salaried employees
    Legacy projects do not develop modern skills for your skill set

Invest in employees to reduce the cycle of bright young employees leaving and only those near retirement staying on. There will be problems in the next 10 years when the old guard has retired but the new one is not staying long.

Great industry exposure, workload can be brutal, new mgmt appears promising

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Crane Aerospace & Electronics full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-Hard working employees
    -9/80 Schedule - every other Friday off
    -Small size - Lots of opportunities to get hands dirty in every aspect of the business
    Flexible work hours
    -Products are literally life changing (Electronics Group)

Cons

- Work load & expectations vary by solution and boss
    - Off Friday's can be expected work days depending who you work for
    - Lacking development for the increasing young engineer population - Eng 1 v Eng 4 has similar expectations with no official training/on-boarding
    - Technology / Equipment is 15-30 years old

Get on the floor. Understand the highly regulated industry we are in . Spend the money to get back to basics and invest in the entire business. Allow the team to make it ugly without fearing repercussions.

Crane Aerospace & Electronics Photos