Crane Aerospace & Electronics Reviews

Employment Status

Reset

1. Not the best or worst place to work

I have been working at Crane Aerospace & Electronics full-time

Pros

The people are good to work with

Cons

lack of advancement for some

Steady work

Current Employee - Not Listed in Burbank, CA
    Current Employee - Not Listed in Burbank, CA

I have been working at Crane Aerospace & Electronics full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Ok salary ... Always busy

Cons

Way too much overtime. Certain supervisors giving the company a bad name

Advice to Management

Stop the harasment on lower level employees And be just and fair across the board

8 years of experience with Crane

Former Employee - Senior Manufacturing Engineer in Lynnwood, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Manufacturing Engineer in Lynnwood, WA

I worked at Crane Aerospace & Electronics full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

It was one of the best companies I have ever worked in my 48 years of employment. The management has changed significantly while I worked there and the philosophy was first class. That I think has changed as long term employees left the company. I set my own hours and rarely had to work more than 8 hours, which I faithfully fulfilled.

Cons

Benefits are tightening up and increases are minimum, unless you really break your butt. Even then, it is 2% or maybe 3% if you can walk on water. However, success always depends on your production and capabilities no matter where you work. I was experienced and applied myself with that experience and was highly recognized. Annual Bonuses are unfortunately dependent on the group and group goals, forcing low averaging the payout.

Advice to Management

Crane has succeeded in satisfying the stock holders well but has not shared that success with the employees. Usually they tout the private offering to upper level engineers, etc., if they produce but you are lucky to get 1% or .5%. I suppose that carrot is better than nothing, I guess.

Difficult company to work for.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Caldwell, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Caldwell, NJ

I have been working at Crane Aerospace & Electronics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

9/80 work schedule. Fellow employees work hard and are fun to work with.

Cons

Under staffed. Upper management is constantly changing and the president insults those below him. Bad decisions have created chaos and management doesn't take credit for causing poor moral. Unqualified personnel are raised to high levels and management listens to idiotic advice.

Advice to Management

Build moral and stop blaming workers for your bad choices.

Good people being ill-treated

Former Employee - Electronic Technician in Beverly, MA
    Former Employee - Electronic Technician in Beverly, MA

I worked at Crane Aerospace & Electronics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The 9/80 work week is the best thing about Crane. The engineers, technicians and assemblers that I worked with were both hard working and knowledgeable and were able to make up for the chronic understaffing. Pay is about the industry norm.

Cons

Chronic understaffing means that heroic effort is expected but not appreciated. Overtime is almost never authorized. I felt sorry for the salaried engineers who were expected to work nights, weekends and holidays to try to meet the unrealistic deadlines the planning group set. Raises were miniscule and recognition for hard work nonexistent.

Advice to Management

Stop putting non-technical managers in charge of technical personnel and consult with the technical staff before making promises to the customer. R T Crane said “I am resolved to conduct my business in the strictest honesty and fairness; to avoid all deception and trickery; to deal fairly with both customers and competitors; to be liberal and just toward employees and to put my whole mind upon the business.” Current managements actions make a mockery of this!

Mismanaged company

Current Employee - Engineering in Beverly, MA
    Current Employee - Engineering in Beverly, MA

Pros

When crane first purchased the company from Signal Technology things looked great until the upper management started to reorganize how things ran to fall under the "Crane way" of thinking. as time went on thing as steadily getting worse and now they are closing facilities and laying off people. the funny thing is that the location they are moving our product lines to doesn't want the work and are refusing to cooperate.

Cons

favoritism is king in this place if the management likes you things will go well in your career.

Advice to Management

listen to your employees and stop thinking you know how to run an electronic company, maybe you should go back to making toilets instead.

Good for Lifers, bad for personal growth

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lynnwood, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lynnwood, WA

I worked at Crane Aerospace & Electronics full-time

Pros

Most of the people I worked with directly were nice and friendly. Seems difficult for the company to let anyone go. That is, unless you did something horrible you probably wouldn't get fired...Keeping headcount is important for middle management. The fruit/cookies they give away every once and a while (maybe once a month) was nice. Company somehow is always profitable.

Cons

It felt as though innovation and growth was frowned upon... It felt like there were many underperforming "lifers" Talented people leave quickly. Compensation/benefits are average at best There are multiple, pretty independent sites. Company Politics made cross-site technological implementations difficult. Middle Management felt unwilling to listen to the ideas of subordinates. Half the time work/life balance was ok, the other half it was pretty terrible

Advice to Management

Better incentives for talented people to stay. Talented people are leaving from frustration. Weed out the ones not doing their job. Don't keep them around just because they are the only ones that know how the system works.

Overly lean organization

Current Employee - Engineer in Lynnwood, WA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Lynnwood, WA

I have been working at Crane Aerospace & Electronics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People are capable, care about each other and have fun with each other. There is opportunity to reach for different/additional challenges (at least within professional ranks).

Cons

Employee turn-over is high. Company success relies too heavily on extreme individual effort instead of an adequately staffed organization,. Many people work very long hours.

Advice to Management

Make it clear to employees that it is up to them to limit their workload - that management will NOT do it. Assign designated backups for every role - it is not okay for the organization to falter because an individual is sick or on vacation.

10. A company that is struggling in difficult times

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Lynnwood, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Lynnwood, WA

Pros

Crane A&E supplies niche electronics to both commercial and defense customers. Most company workers have been there for quite a while which suggests that they are happy. Crane products are of good quality and do not depend on breakout technologies to compete.

Cons

The Crane management culture appears to be changing (more demanding) as their senior leadership is replaced and their BOD demands higher profit margins. The friendly atmosphere that was once enjoyed is now more stressful and less secure. Some good people are leaving and some are being asked to leave.

Advice to Management

Crane needs to think more like their customers and realize that their inward looking perspective is hurting their business approach

11. Disfunctional

I worked at Crane Aerospace & Electronics full-time

Pros

flexible schedule few good people to work with 9/80 work schedule my supervisor

Cons

HR Sr. Management No bonus program for others except Exec.

RSS Feed </> Embed