Crate and Barrel Reviews

Reset
2.0
Crate and Barrel CEO Doug Diemoz
Doug Diemoz

Pros
  • Great product and usually great customers (in 25 reviews)

• Great people, great customers,fun atmosphere (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Lots of part time employees have to find a second job because of low hourly pay (in 22 reviews)

• They dont want to have to give out Full-Time benefits so instead they will give you part time benefits and (in 17 reviews)

1. The drudgery of retail, but enjoyable

Former Employee - Part-Time Sales Associate in Beverly Hills, CA
    Former Employee - Part-Time Sales Associate in Beverly Hills, CA

I worked at Crate and Barrel part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great coworker, great merchandise, enjoyed the discount a lot. Management was flexible with my schedule.

Cons

Pay very low for long busy days working with picky customers. Management expecting me as a part time employee to meet sales goals, which were pretty impossible when most of my shifts were closing hours only.

Advice to Management

Management used to foster and encourage great team spirit amongst their employees. When I left the company, the environment was going more corporate and lost this this great feeling among the staff. Even though the pay is low, employees still like to feel that they are respected by their employers and are a part of the team, not a cog in the machine.

I loved the fact that I was going to work for a store that I loved to shop in.....what a disappointment!

Current Employee - Part-Time Sales Associate in Beverly Hills, CA
    Current Employee - Part-Time Sales Associate in Beverly Hills, CA

I have been working at Crate and Barrel part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The coworkers are the best anywhere, perhaps their perceptions are as blurred as mine. Most of the associates just "go through the motion" to get the job done.

Cons

Management is the worst I've ever experienced. A monkey can do their job. The have NO compassion for the people that are making the company money and it is as if they are on another level above and beyond the "underdog" slave help that they hire and they know it. Management means being able to deal with not only customer issues, but more importantly, employees. I'm not sure what qualifications it takes to become management at Crate, but I'm sure it doesn't include compassion for the company and it's associates. Lets not forget that Crate has been sued for several class action lawsuits!!! That alone says something about the scruples of the company. The employees yearly revues are a joke. The minute you sit down they make it perfectly clear that they only base your performance on a "meets" standard performance even though they give you a form to fill out for you to rate yourself....it's a joke. I was awarded "associate of the quarter" which means that most of those that I worked with thought I went above and beyond to do my job well but it means nothing when the review is underway. After one year of hardworking, commited service I was awarded a .27 cent raise, I almost fell off my chair. I'll have to wait another year to hopefully get another .27 cents. NOT A CAREER CHOICE BUY ANY MEANS.

Advice to Management

See cons above and learn from it or Crate & Barrel will be a thing of the past!

Corporate America at its worst

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Beverly Hills, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Beverly Hills, CA

I have been working at Crate and Barrel (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great health insurance (for now)

Cons

Low retail salaries used to be balanced out by an enjoyable, creative work environment that encouraged individuality. The recent desperate measures taken by Sasha Bopp and the conglomerate he represents suggest that the company must be on shaky ground. Every aspect of the stores is being immediately revamped, from management structure to store design to the firing of long-standing employees to be replaced by hordes of part-timers. A cookie-cutter mentality that forces employees to conform to a script of behavior has been instituted. The company clearly no longer values longevity. Cost-savings are achieved by the tired corporate cliche of eliminating benefits by firing full-timers and replacing them with expendable, poorly paid part-time staff. Store management has been streamlined, which means there are fewer of them to have any idea what actually occurs on the sales floor, spending an even greater portion of their time in meetings getting instructions from corporate. The assistant manager summed up the corporate mentality perfectly by saying in a recent meeting "what's good for the company is good for you".

Advice to Management

Review history of other companies that have tanked.

RSS Feed </> Embed