Crate and Barrel

Updated November 20, 2014
3.1

Crate and Barrel CEO Sascha Bopp
Sascha Bopp

Pros
  • Great product and usually great customers (in 25 reviews)

• Great people- it's like a family working at the St (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Lots of part time employees have to find a second job because of low hourly pay (in 22 reviews)

• They dont want to have to give out Full-Time benefits so instead they will give you part time benefits and (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

Fun family like

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Crate and Barrel full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The culture is all team work. Everyone works together and has a family like feel. For a retail store everyone gets along really well. As long as you communicate needs you're going to get an answer.

Cons

Some days can be slower than others with not a lot of people in the store.

Promote from within. Listen to your people.

Phenomenal Workplace

Current Employee - Part-Time Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Part-Time Sales Associate

I have been working at Crate and Barrel part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Simply having a job here is a 'Pro', but here are some of the specifics:
    -Great Employee discount on amazing products.
    -Weekly training to ensure proper product knowledge. Demos are not only useful to become familiar with machines, furniture and other products, but are made to be fun.
    -Amazing staff all around. Everyone is always helping where they can - Merch associates hop on registers and Sales Associates grab their own stock checks and pick ups when they can. Many other reviews I see mention that Merch and Sales are in a divide, however in our location we all work as one team and get along great.
    -Managers, Sales Leads and Merch leads are all incredibly helpful and make it a fun environment to learn, work and just be a part of. You can ask how to do something a thousand times and they'd be right there to guide you through it. Our Managers and leads are a diverse group of people and have great connections with everyone in our store. They make you feel like family and truly care about their staff. I love the culture we experience here.

Cons

As with anything there are some areas that aren't the best. But there's really nothing I'd change.
    -Green screen is old and can be difficult to follow through. Managers are great at helping out though if you just asked (and watch them if you can).
    -You're in retail, some customers just aren't in the best mood and treat you as if you're a half human. Just the world we live in, smile through it and be as helpful as possible, remember you're not only representing yourself but a company as well.
    -Inventory. I believe this is something that will be changed, however there have been too many skus available and not enough inventory for those skus. People come to the store having just received catalogs and we may already be out of stock and have to offer to back order or WHS ship it to them.
    -We have a vast majority of products, and although weekly trainings are great, sometimes you're just not going to know why toaster oven A is more expensive than toaster ovens B or C. You'll never know everything about everything we carry but just do you best to answer the customer's questions and concerns with the POS, green screen or crate browser. There are also many "experts" on the floor who are happy to help if they're free. Again, if you can, stand by and listen to them and learn something new with the customers!
    -Products are always moving around! Nothing horrible but it can be frustrating when you're trying to get something for a customer and you end up running them around the entire floor because you can no longer find where something was located. That being said, it's great to see the displays change so often and keep the store up-to-date and fresh. (I know, contradicting myself).

You know what you're doing!

Great People!

Current Employee - Furniture Customer Service in Paramus, NJ
    Current Employee - Furniture Customer Service in Paramus, NJ

I have been working at Crate and Barrel full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I worked for Crate before they went public. The company as a whole was wonderful to work for and we actually had pride in our Brand. I loved working for Gordon Segal and the Crate family. Great culture, good life-work balance.

Cons

Pay scale did not meet the work expected and over time was frowned upon.

Promote from within

Great place to work

Current Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Crate and Barrel part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Environment, training, personal growth, promotion from within, flexible work schedule

Cons

The pay could be better for experienced associates.

Promote from within

Management

Former Employee - Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Crate and Barrel full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good Training and development. Support in company growth

Cons

Pay rate is poor. Initial jump is appealing but is at a minimum unless you apply for a higher position which is not too often

Don't settle. Invest in good management and you will reap the rewards in better sales.

Coworkers are great, but the job itself isn't challenging enough to warrant staying over a year.

I worked at Crate and Barrel part-time

Pros

Excellent discount, friendly associates, customer base is high quality

Cons

Not a lot of freedom as with any retail position

Fun, informative, and a view into other people's lives.

Former Employee - Part-Time Sales Associate in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Part-Time Sales Associate in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Crate and Barrel as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

The perks: The discount! There's nothing better than being able to live the ultimate party host dream and collect all of the things needed to have a great party.

Cons

Long hours on your feet. If you don't like customers, stay clear away from this company! The customers know what they want and how they want it!

The whole of C&B looks like their in need of a change from the top down. The ladder of advancement is blocked by other management and their personal agendas.

amazing people, fun product, great brand

Current Employee - Visual Merchant/Inventory Control Support Associate in Miami Beach, FL

I have been working at Crate and Barrel full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I was new to Florida when I started working at the South Beach location of CB2, and the staff made me feel welcome and at home in the sunshine state.

Cons

The location I work at has a very high turnover. Lots of part time employees have to find a second job because of low hourly pay.

Don't do it.

Current Employee - Merchandising Associate in King of Prussia, PA
    Current Employee - Merchandising Associate in King of Prussia, PA

I have been working at Crate and Barrel part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Discount is the only pro

Cons

The cons were discrimination, Racism, Favoritism.

pay

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Hartford, CT
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Hartford, CT

I worked at Crate and Barrel part-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

good benefits, but still horrid pay.

Cons

horrible pay, and bad hours, no vacations.

start higher and give fewer bonuses