Crate & Barrel Reviews

Updated August 28, 2014

2.9

Crate & Barrel CEO Sascha Bopp
Sascha Bopp

Pros
  • Great product and usually great customers (in 25 reviews)

• Great people- it's like a family working at the St (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • are part-time with a real job) or folks taking classes so they might want less hours (in 20 reviews)

• Wish they offered more full time or better paying positions (in 16 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company to work for

Current Employee - Intern  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Intern in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Crate & Barrel part-time for less than a year

Pros

The hours are great and so is the staff. Everyone who works there seems to be happy with their jobs. The work is fun to learn and becomes beneficial in everyday life.

Cons

None that I can think of

No advice

Issues with management

I worked at Crate & Barrel

Pros

great co worker and discount

Cons

small raises , issues growing with in the company

Not for everyone

Former Employee - Furniture Sales Associate  in  Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Furniture Sales Associate in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Crate & Barrel full-time for less than a year

Pros

great merchandise, nice employee discount, great co-workers

Cons

micro-managed constantly, way too much time spent "team building", not enough training, sky high knowledge expectations

would fall on deaf ears

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Part-Time Job

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Berkeley, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Berkeley, CA

I have been working at Crate & Barrel part-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexible working at CB2. Commission is shared, therefore you actually like your coworkers.

Cons

Low hourly pay, lowered than California minimum wage.

Store management communicates very well. Keep up the enthusiasm!

Fun seasonal work at CB2

Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Crate & Barrel part-time for more than a year

Pros

I liked my coworkers, the merchandise I was selling, and in general, the customers were nice to assist. The merchandise discount was very generous. Compared to other seasonal retail work, CB2 was overall enjoyable.

Cons

Lack of commission for seasonal employees even though some would sell more merchandise than the full-time employees. Since I was seasonal, I would often have to work the day before and after holidays. The compensation was also very low and a slow process for advancement.

My advice would be to create more opportunities for growth and incentives to reach sales targets.

A sad state of affairs

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Naperville, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Naperville, IL

I worked at Crate & Barrel full-time

Pros

The company offers good health benefits and a wonderful discount. Also, you will never meet more charismatic, funny, smart, and all around wonderful people than Crate employees. The stores are gorgeous, and the product is very inspiring.

Cons

I really loved this company, and was there for a very long time. One could say that I sort of grew up there. Unfortunately, the lack of competitive pay and consideration for advancement into the area I am interested in working has forced me out the door. Management can be cliquey and slightly dishonest at times. Morale has dropped and employees are leaving as quickly as possible.

Competitive pay in the market place and a better structured entrance into buying at the company.

I loved the fact that I was going to work for a store that I loved to shop in.....what a disappointment!

Current Employee - Part-Time Sales Associate  in  Beverly Hills, CA
    Current Employee - Part-Time Sales Associate in Beverly Hills, CA

I have been working at Crate & Barrel part-time for more than a year

Pros

The coworkers are the best anywhere, perhaps their perceptions are as blurred as mine. Most of the associates just "go through the motion" to get the job done.

Cons

Management is the worst I've ever experienced. A monkey can do their job. The have NO compassion for the people that are making the company money and it is as if they are on another level above and beyond the "underdog" slave help that they hire and they know it. Management means being able to deal with not only customer issues, but more importantly, employees. I'm not sure what qualifications it takes to become management at Crate, but I'm sure it doesn't include compassion for the company and it's associates. Lets not forget that Crate has been sued for several class action lawsuits!!! That alone says something about the scruples of the company. The employees yearly revues are a joke. The minute you sit down they make it perfectly clear that they only base your performance on a "meets" standard performance even though they give you a form to fill out for you to rate yourself....it's a joke. I was awarded "associate of the quarter" which means that most of those that I worked with thought I went above and beyond to do my job well but it means nothing when the review is underway. After one year of hardworking, commited service I was awarded a .27 cent raise, I almost fell off my chair. I'll have to wait another year to hopefully get another .27 cents. NOT A CAREER CHOICE BUY ANY MEANS.

See cons above and learn from it or Crate & Barrel will be a thing of the past!

It's retail, folks. Quit complaining!

Current Employee - Merchandising Associate
    Current Employee - Merchandising Associate

I have been working at Crate & Barrel part-time

Pros

Very flexible with scheduling. I went through a rough patch personally and the G.M. was very cool about giving me time off. My merch leader said, " Just take care of yourself, we'll be here when you are ready." Not a lot of companies would do that for a part-time employee. I work" back of house", I enjoy the physical part of the job. I started out as a seasonal hire and was kept on. I consider that a reward for hard work. And for people who complain about working weekends and holidays- It's retail, if you don't like it, get another gig.

Cons

High turnover. We are currently down 4 people in my department. That makes everyone's job harder. While we do need the help, management needs to vet prospective employees more carefully. The nightly huddle might be some form of team building, but frankly, after a long shift on my feet, taking stock checks, doing BOPS etc., I just want to go home. This isn't my only job. I'll come in when I'm scheduled, do my assigned tasks to the best of my ability and remain drama free. The rah-rah stuff I can do without.

Be more timely in filling open positions. Remind sales that "back of house" is the nerve center of the store and act appropriately.

Encouraging Environment

Former Employee - Houseware Sales  in  Rancho Cucamonga, CA
    Former Employee - Houseware Sales in Rancho Cucamonga, CA

I worked at Crate & Barrel part-time for more than a year

Pros

Working with Interior Designer, Team oriented, Weekly morning meetings keep you updated, flexible scheduling, exposure to product trends, respectable work hours, possible promotion from within

Cons

Very hectic during holidays, favoritism within management and employees, higher-end clientele can get demanding

Promote those that are capable of being leaders, not just your favorites, and allow people to take their allotted breaks, even when busy. People are more productive in the long run when they get their break.

Crate & Barrel lost it's core family values for its associates once turned over to its new CEO

Current Employee - Merchandiser  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Merchandiser in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Crate & Barrel full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I have met some of the very best and most genuine associates while working here. The associate discount is also phenomenal; 30% off right off the bat and 40% once you've reached the 5 year mark!

Cons

The company went under a major transition with the retirement of former founder and CEO, Gordon Segal. I felt the loyalty to some very extraordinary people with longevity and knowledge to the company was completely overlooked when making corporate decisions on who to let go. People were thrown into new positions, sometimes with a pay cut and given very little training.

Listen to the challenges of your teams at the store-level. Help them come up with real solutions instead of just telling them to 'Make it work"

Worked for Crate & Barrel? Contribute to the Community!