Crate and Barrel

Updated December 15, 2014
3.1

Crate and Barrel CEO Sascha Bopp
Sascha Bopp

Pros
  • Great product and usually great customers (in 25 reviews)

• Great people- it's like a family working at the St (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Lots of part time employees have to find a second job because of low hourly pay (in 22 reviews)

• They dont want to have to give out Full-Time benefits so instead they will give you part time benefits and (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

Fun seasonal work at CB2

Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Crate and Barrel part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I liked my coworkers, the merchandise I was selling, and in general, the customers were nice to assist. The merchandise discount was very generous. Compared to other seasonal retail work, CB2 was overall enjoyable.

Cons

Lack of commission for seasonal employees even though some would sell more merchandise than the full-time employees. Since I was seasonal, I would often have to work the day before and after holidays. The compensation was also very low and a slow process for advancement.

My advice would be to create more opportunities for growth and incentives to reach sales targets.

It's retail, folks. Quit complaining!

Current Employee - Merchandising Associate
    Current Employee - Merchandising Associate

I have been working at Crate and Barrel part-time

Pros

Very flexible with scheduling. I went through a rough patch personally and the G.M. was very cool about giving me time off. My merch leader said, " Just take care of yourself, we'll be here when you are ready." Not a lot of companies would do that for a part-time employee. I work" back of house", I enjoy the physical part of the job. I started out as a seasonal hire and was kept on. I consider that a reward for hard work. And for people who complain about working weekends and holidays- It's retail, if you don't like it, get another gig.

Cons

High turnover. We are currently down 4 people in my department. That makes everyone's job harder. While we do need the help, management needs to vet prospective employees more carefully. The nightly huddle might be some form of team building, but frankly, after a long shift on my feet, taking stock checks, doing BOPS etc., I just want to go home. This isn't my only job. I'll come in when I'm scheduled, do my assigned tasks to the best of my ability and remain drama free. The rah-rah stuff I can do without.

Be more timely in filling open positions. Remind sales that "back of house" is the nerve center of the store and act appropriately.

Encouraging Environment

Former Employee - Houseware Sales in Rancho Cucamonga, CA
    Former Employee - Houseware Sales in Rancho Cucamonga, CA

I worked at Crate and Barrel part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Working with Interior Designer, Team oriented, Weekly morning meetings keep you updated, flexible scheduling, exposure to product trends, respectable work hours, possible promotion from within

Cons

Very hectic during holidays, favoritism within management and employees, higher-end clientele can get demanding

Promote those that are capable of being leaders, not just your favorites, and allow people to take their allotted breaks, even when busy. People are more productive in the long run when they get their break.

Sales Associate

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Woodland Hills, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Woodland Hills, CA

I worked at Crate and Barrel part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Working environment was very friendly, product is beautiful and it is a great learning experience. Very flexible with scheduling and time off.

Cons

Sometimes there aren't many customers during certain times of the year so they give fewer hours.

I hope you continue to train employees on product information and selling tips. Being confident with the product is important.

Overall Horrible Co-Workers and Biased Managers

Former Employee - Part-Time Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Part-Time Sales Associate

I worked at Crate and Barrel part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Employee discount on some items. Customers were usually very appreciative of my help. Customers would tell me that I did a great job. There were a few encouraging and positive people at Crate & Barrel.

Cons

Petty & lazy co-workers. Co-workers made fun of you for actually working on slow days. Male co-workers & managers seemed to think making unwanted sexual advances were okay at work. Most people hated their jobs and it showed. Some co-workers would only help customers that "looked wealthy" to make a larger sale. Some customers (minority groups) told me that they walked through the entire store and I was the first employee to greet them. The pay was not great but that is no excuse for not doing a good job once you have accepted a particular position.

Staff needs to be trained on employee relations and working as a team. Working as a team was talked about a lot but somehow the culture was more of kiss up to the right people to get ahead. Even if you worked hard, if managers did not like you, then good luck moving up.

In 7 years, so much has changed

I have been working at Crate and Barrel full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

-beautiful product
    -work life better for part-timers-less stressful
    -when I very first started seven years ago I had so many hopes for self-growth in the company, worked with many positive people...then the economy hit, the CEO retired, and all he** broke loose when the whole company revamped. Positions were taken away, people were let go, but the work amount increased drastically.

Cons

-lack of communication in corporate
    -most of the work falls into merchandising
    -pay caps started when new CEO took over and revamped entire company. Very little raise opportunities now.
    -less management positions than ever before, yet more work and responsibilities
    -very little time for adequate training, most people tossed in and left to fend for themselves
    -area team critiques and micromanages with very little advice/positive feedback
    -many people are leaving, very few are even applying to the positions-very small staff with aLOT of work to manage.
    -GM likes to complain about all management behind closed doors, places blame instead of holding herself accountable.

Make some changes or soon there won't be anyone worth while left in the company. This is coming from a member of management who is ACTIVELY looking for a way out of this company!

Crate & Barrel lost it's core family values for its associates once turned over to its new CEO

Current Employee - Merchandiser in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Merchandiser in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Crate and Barrel full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I have met some of the very best and most genuine associates while working here. The associate discount is also phenomenal; 30% off right off the bat and 40% once you've reached the 5 year mark!

Cons

The company went under a major transition with the retirement of former founder and CEO, Gordon Segal. I felt the loyalty to some very extraordinary people with longevity and knowledge to the company was completely overlooked when making corporate decisions on who to let go. People were thrown into new positions, sometimes with a pay cut and given very little training.

Listen to the challenges of your teams at the store-level. Help them come up with real solutions instead of just telling them to 'Make it work"

Great stores poor corporate direction

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Crate and Barrel full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Co-workers make work fun! Store management is caring and considerate.

Cons

Work load is overwhelming and the pay is low for what is expected of you.

Store management is wonderful. Corporate management is completely disconnected.

After 15 years of service I felt it was time to move on!! My last year was the most stressful ever!!!

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Miami, FL

I worked at Crate and Barrel full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The inner circle of people were wonderful ,full time benefits were great and connection with some of our wonderful customers made my job great!!

Cons

The Gordon days were over and the change began not on a good note!! The stress was on sales emails phone numbers!! The products changed and so did our customers!!!

I left on a sour note I have no respect for management or upper management being full time they were not nice and did what human possible to show no respect or caring towards me!! Very clear my time to move on which is just what I did!!

Either become a sales associate or don't apply

Current Employee - Merchandising Associate in King of Prussia, PA
    Current Employee - Merchandising Associate in King of Prussia, PA

I have been working at Crate and Barrel full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Pay is higher than most other retail companies
    The people are great for the most part
    Ideal for college students

Cons

If you are a merchandising associate prepare for the worse. Sales associates stand around and talk amongst themselves and instead of sales managers giving them something to do, they join in with them. Merchandising associates are pretty much responsible for everything in the store outside of making sales. Some merchandising associates have the luxury of only performing design related tasks while others are left to do slave work (ie: processing truck, trash, stock checks, replenishment, back door pickups). This isn't an isolated case. This is company wide. However, at the king of prussia store, prepare for favoritism and discrimination on all levels. There have been promotions, and positions opened up for certain people only. If you don't fit a certain mold you won't get anywhere in the company regardless of how hard you work.