Crawford & Company

Updated January 27, 2015
Updated January 27, 2015
2.8

Jeff Bowman

Pros
  • The ability to work from home was a bonus (in 7 reviews)

• Understanding and great acceptance of work-life balance (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Amount of work is not what it used to be, domestically (in 4 reviews)

• You will have to be on call 24/7 every few weeks to stand out in the cold and watch a truck accident get cleaned up (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Experienced claims adjuster

Current Employee - Claims Adjuster in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Claims Adjuster in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Crawford & Company

Pros

Being paid as the contact states.

Cons

Not getting enough work as needed.

Using the adjusters that have helped you out more often.

Too many Cons. No way to have a career path

Current Employee - St Systems Engineer in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - St Systems Engineer in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Crawford & Company full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I am been working for 2 years and
    Is a quite place, relative nice environment, that allows telecommute couple day a week.

Cons

- hierarchy very flat. No way to be promoted
    - managers do performance reviews, but is not one above who can listen how " bad is your manager"
    - salary is below the market, annual increase is a joke
    - merit , bonuses and other stimulus are poor or does not exist.
    - if you're in IT... you will be behind in technology because the company is extremely conservative on how spend the money
    - there is other kind unmotivated thing...they are hiring and contracting soo many people from India that the coffee room smells curry and the only conversation you heart are Punjabi

1) do not be mean, specially if you are not technical
    2) give opportunity for training and motivate your team, screaming, and cornering your employees is not a good feeling
    3) manager should be a facilitator, not a critical

Too many chiefs and not enough indians.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Crawford & Company (more than a year)

Pros

In the division I worked in, there were six team members and five managers they answered too. The five team members I worked with were very nice. The managers I worked with were also very nice. Simply put, we needed eleven team members and one manager.

Cons

I was brought in and experienced a "bait and switch" of assignments. The company sold an IT solution that was a square peg for a round hole for a client that was completely impossible and should have been fired after the first 12 months. After 18 months I was offered a better opportunity with another firm and resigned. The day I resigned, I was contacted by two of the five managers for requests to take them with me. It is my recollection that the company is publicly traded and went through a succession of CEO's prior to my arrival which refused to clean house upstairs.

See the title and flatten your management structure.

Estimate Reviewer

I have been working at Crawford & Company full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Laid back atmosphere with good people to work for.

Cons

The compensation for the employees is on the lower side of the scale.

Tenured and top-heavy upper management

I have been working at Crawford & Company full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Flexibility and ability to grow your role.

Cons

There is a lot of dead weight in upper management. Many tenured VP's and above who are only there to collect paychecks and not actually do any work. The lack of accountability among management keeps morale low with the rank and file employees as there is no room for growth potential. Salaries are not competitive and bonuses only available to the elite. No diversity in management positions.

There are high achievers and performers throughout the company that constantly go unnoticed. Managers who never and/or rarely show promote employees, nominate employees for leadership opportunities/classes, nor recognize their staff should be a cause for concern for the company. The culture you promote could be the demise of your organization.

General Casualty Adjuster

Former Employee - General Casualty Adjuster in Brea, CA
    Former Employee - General Casualty Adjuster in Brea, CA

I worked at Crawford & Company full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good salary, work at home, great immediate supervisors. Frequent training and webinars (Best practices, Business Code of ethics, Sexual harassment in the workplace.) Wonderful co-workers. Understanding and great acceptance of work-life balance.

Cons

Upper management is clueless on the talents of different units. They let good people "go" instead of finding other positions for them within the company.

To upper management - Meet each and everyone of your people you manage and see how you can use their talents in other areas of the company

It was honestly the worst place I've ever worked.

I worked at Crawford & Company

Pros

The pay and benefits were decent.

Cons

Constant turnover. Lack of real management who led by example. The culture was non professional.

I would highly recommend checking into the turn over in each department and see who seems to be the immediate manager in charge and why that person seems to make sure everyone is tracked and documented except for them and their favorite people and groups. Absolute power corrupts absolutely and this is one of those examples of a department gone bad because of it.

Solid Company

Current Contractor - Catastrophe Adjuster in Atlanta, GA
    Current Contractor - Catastrophe Adjuster in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Crawford & Company as a contractor (more than 8 years)

Pros

Reliable and timely on pay. Managers willing to help teach for the most part.

Cons

Managers and team leaders sometimes are unfit for their roles on projects.

Property Adjuster

Former Employee - Property Adjuster
    Former Employee - Property Adjuster

I worked at Crawford & Company full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

This is a great place to start if you have very little property experience and want learn. There is a lot to freedom in planning your day along with company car but for long term do not expect much.

Cons

The pay is way below the industry standard with promise that you will bonus every quarter which is not true. You will have to be on call 24/7 every few weeks to stand out in the cold and watch a truck accident get cleaned up. Management only cares about how much you bill and will give you claims that are "over your head". In order to move up you have to complete certain classes but good luck actually getting to go to any classes once you are working. There is no work life balance. The harder you work, the more work you get. Management does not look at how hard you have worked to get things done, only at how many open files you have. If you don't mind feeling like a person alone on an island with very little future than this is the company for you.

Eye-opening

Former Employee - Property & Casualty Adjuster
    Former Employee - Property & Casualty Adjuster

I worked at Crawford & Company full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Crawford & Company is an amazing place to get insurance contacts, experience, a broader view of claims handling, and industry knowledge on a wide set of policies/ company standards. Moreover, the amount of work experienced at Crawford is unlike ANYWHERE else; you will likely work all the time handling a variety of standards/ client requests, but being bred into a much better adjuster/claims handler.

We only suggest this company for someone to little to no experience looking to utilize it as a stepping stone. You will get more experience there than anywhere else. We learned from some of the best people in the industry, gaining more experience within two years than some get in 10; however, they all were eventually let go.

Cons

Crawford & Company will blatantly lie to you. There is little to no company culture. Most importantly, you will work 24/7. You will be on call 24/7 handling things well out of your experience set. During my time there, no one from the lower rungs was promoted. We saw several employees who had worked 25+ years at the company given pink slips and expected to leave within the next couple of days. They are currently downsizing several locations.

It is impossible to get certifications like CPCU, AIC, ARM when one is working 80+ hours a week and on-call 24/7. It is likely they want you to get these certifications so they can charge the clients (I.e. insurance carriers) more money for "General Adjuster" work.

There is no reasonable work life balance. Adjusters are sometimes given 10+ claims a day within a 2-3 hour geographic location with no sense of balance. The pay is some of the lowest in the industry. To see managers/higher ups fired after years of service, will ultimately make the entire staff want to leave.