Crawford & Company

2.9

Crawford & Company Executive Vice-President & CEO Kevin B. Frawley
Kevin B. Frawley
1 Rating

Pros
  • The ability to work from home was a bonus (in 7 reviews)

• Lots of attention paid to work-life balance (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Amount of work is not what it used to be, domestically (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

crawford & company

Current Employee - Executive General Adjuster  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Executive General Adjuster in Houston, TX

I have been working at Crawford & Company full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

IT is good, better than the competition, many dedicated employees to work with and to benefit from their years of experience, training is available, salary is fair to good, benefits are above average. (I worked there because I needed the job, so I would recommend C&C to a friend or someone that needs a claim job)

Cons

lack of culture. advancement is limited. sweat shop for many of the inside employees and examiners, reputation has gone down hill the last couple of years. local, regional and corporate managament is only interested in their own salaries and benefits in lieu of their employees

wake up and start doing the right things. restore crawford to the prestige the company enjoyed in the past

Eye-opening

Former Employee - Property & Casualty Adjuster
    Former Employee - Property & Casualty Adjuster

I worked at Crawford & Company full-time for more than a year

Pros

Crawford & Company is an amazing place to get insurance contacts, experience, a broader view of claims handling, and industry knowledge on a wide set of policies/ company standards. Moreover, the amount of work experienced at Crawford is unlike ANYWHERE else; you will likely work all the time handling a variety of standards/ client requests, but being bred into a much better adjuster/claims handler.

We only suggest this company for someone to little to no experience looking to utilize it as a stepping stone. You will get more experience there than anywhere else. We learned from some of the best people in the industry, gaining more experience within two years than some get in 10; however, they all were eventually let go.

Cons

Crawford & Company will blatantly lie to you. There is little to no company culture. Most importantly, you will work 24/7. You will be on call 24/7 handling things well out of your experience set. During my time there, no one from the lower rungs was promoted. We saw several employees who had worked 25+ years at the company given pink slips and expected to leave within the next couple of days. They are currently downsizing several locations.

It is impossible to get certifications like CPCU, AIC, ARM when one is working 80+ hours a week and on-call 24/7. It is likely they want you to get these certifications so they can charge the clients (I.e. insurance carriers) more money for "General Adjuster" work.

There is no reasonable work life balance. Adjusters are sometimes given 10+ claims a day within a 2-3 hour geographic location with no sense of balance. The pay is some of the lowest in the industry. To see managers/higher ups fired after years of service, will ultimately make the entire staff want to leave.

Top Heavy

Former Employee - Anonymous  in  Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Crawford & Company full-time for more than a year

Pros

The best reason to work here are the good people that are really dedicate to doing a great job and working as a team..but it's not that many.

Cons

The infrastructure at the corporate level is too top heavy with a lot more chiefs telling subordinates what to do but not provide the appropriate system or people resources. Bonuses and raises are the least I have received in my career

Reevaluate your tall organizational structure and get more in touch with the employees at the heart of the company

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Awful

Former Employee - Claims Adjuster  in  Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Claims Adjuster in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Crawford & Company full-time for more than a year

Pros

There are no pros for this company other than its office location is decent

Cons

Anyone who decides to work here must do so because they had no other option. The managers are terrible, the pay sucks, and the benefits are terrible compared to most other companies. The focus on getting designations is overboard, especially considering the increase in pay does not make the effort even close to worth it.

The managers need to be properly trained and the compensation and benefits should be much better.

started out great, got worse over time

Former Employee - Vocational Consultant  in  Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Vocational Consultant in Orlando, FL

I worked at Crawford & Company full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

company car, good training, good benefits

Cons

pressure to produce, management lost track of the company's vision and became punitive instead of helpful

learn about what the branches do

HCL DR Project

Current Employee - Contractor  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Contractor in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Crawford & Company as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

As a contractor through HCL, I did not participate in the company's programs. I applaud the company, however, in its effort to move toward a more resilient IT infrastructure.

Cons

I have no issues with the company.

Continue to move toward the resilient IT environment and move toward establishing a unified business continuity/disaster recovery department.

You are simply a contracted employee and mean nothing to management!

I worked at Crawford & Company

Pros

Pay was good
    Co-workers were nice
    Contracted company was the one I came from so environment was familiar and nice

Cons

Management was incompetent
    Management lacks care for employees
    As an employee you mean nothing to company

Hire managers who actually know what they are doing and contracted company

Great starting place

Current Employee - Former Manager
    Current Employee - Former Manager

I have been working at Crawford & Company full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

When given the time, one can become a great adjuster to springboard their career (typically somewhere else). Training used to be great and still is for Trainees. Time constraints of the job prevent managers from doing this.

If one can work independently, the flexibility of working from home is great; it's kept me here for 10+ years.

I have met and made friends with a lot of people here. It's unfortunate the morale is so bad.

Cons

Good employees are not rewarded for their hard work, instead they are asked to do more while sub-standard employees skate by. Years of relationship building and experience are being thrown away with "restructuring" project while pitching a grass roots program to employees.

Being on call 24-7 is outlined as part of the job and a necessary evil, although it is a pain.

Benefits were changed along with every company in the US, but it hurts with a small pay increase once every 5 years.

Effective management techniques are ignored by those in charge to the point you feel you don't have a voice even as a manager/supervisor.

This is a people business, let's treat them as such and not as a number.

A lot of good people have been negatively affected by your recent changes; GOOD people. How these decisions were made baffles those affected. Consider the source and ask those who do the job effectively as opposed to yes men. It's ok to hear varying opinions from blue collar workers who get the job done.

Listen to your field people who know claims if you want to get better or start selling policies; you are not an insurance company, you deal with claims and claims management solutions. It is a competitive marketplace, but you don't need to sell your soul.

Your technology is making it more difficult for old fashioned claims adjusting, which is what your clients are looking for.

Remember, your field staff brings in the revenue not your many VPs and directors. The arrogance of upper management would suggest advice as such of that above will be ignored anyway, making this review moot.

Dir

I worked at Crawford & Company full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Growth oriented and nicely expanding globally..

Cons

Nothing significant. Run better than most companies.

Expand service offering and be more proactive in the market place.

Overall OK company to work for.

Current Employee - Property Adjuster
    Current Employee - Property Adjuster

I have been working at Crawford & Company full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Remote work from home possible.
    Company car.
    Flexible schedule.
    Health care, 401k, etc available.
    Co-workers have been good but imagine that depends on branch.

Cons

Long hours. Working from home and covering lots of territory means late nights. This is not a 9-5 clock in clock out job.
    Little training.
    Offered promotion then tranfer denied. Was not notified of this.
    Increased work and caseloads.
    Unrealistic production and quality goals. Auditing requirements increasingly strict making bonuses unattainable.
    Little to no yealry pay increases.
    Little opportunity for upward career movement.
    Bends over backwards for clients with little regard for employees.

Your promotional material comments on retaining talent and employees. A .5% to 1% increase isn't going to cut it after several years of freezes. Recognize the non tangible (customer service) aspect employees bring. Its not all about production and quality scores.

Worked for Crawford & Company? Contribute to the Community!