Crawford & Company

Updated November 18, 2014
Updated November 18, 2014

Crawford & Company Executive Vice-President & CEO Kevin B. Frawley
Kevin B. Frawley

Pros
  • The ability to work from home was a bonus (in 7 reviews)

• Lots of attention paid to work-life balance (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Amount of work is not what it used to be, domestically (in 4 reviews)

• You will have to be on call 24/7 every few weeks to stand out in the cold and watch a truck accident get cleaned up (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

General Casualty Adjuster

Former Employee - General Casualty Adjuster in Brea, CA
    Former Employee - General Casualty Adjuster in Brea, CA

I worked at Crawford & Company full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good salary, work at home, great immediate supervisors. Frequent training and webinars (Best practices, Business Code of ethics, Sexual harassment in the workplace.) Wonderful co-workers. Understanding and great acceptance of work-life balance.

Cons

Upper management is clueless on the talents of different units. They let good people "go" instead of finding other positions for them within the company.

To upper management - Meet each and everyone of your people you manage and see how you can use their talents in other areas of the company

Solid Company

Current Employee - Catastrophe Adjuster in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Catastrophe Adjuster in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Crawford & Company as a contractor (more than 8 years)

Pros

Reliable and timely on pay. Managers willing to help teach for the most part.

Cons

Managers and team leaders sometimes are unfit for their roles on projects.

Property Adjuster

Former Employee - Property Adjuster
    Former Employee - Property Adjuster

I worked at Crawford & Company full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

This is a great place to start if you have very little property experience and want learn. There is a lot to freedom in planning your day along with company car but for long term do not expect much.

Cons

The pay is way below the industry standard with promise that you will bonus every quarter which is not true. You will have to be on call 24/7 every few weeks to stand out in the cold and watch a truck accident get cleaned up. Management only cares about how much you bill and will give you claims that are "over your head". In order to move up you have to complete certain classes but good luck actually getting to go to any classes once you are working. There is no work life balance. The harder you work, the more work you get. Management does not look at how hard you have worked to get things done, only at how many open files you have. If you don't mind feeling like a person alone on an island with very little future than this is the company for you.

Eye-opening

Former Employee - Property & Casualty Adjuster
    Former Employee - Property & Casualty Adjuster

I worked at Crawford & Company full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Crawford & Company is an amazing place to get insurance contacts, experience, a broader view of claims handling, and industry knowledge on a wide set of policies/ company standards. Moreover, the amount of work experienced at Crawford is unlike ANYWHERE else; you will likely work all the time handling a variety of standards/ client requests, but being bred into a much better adjuster/claims handler.

We only suggest this company for someone to little to no experience looking to utilize it as a stepping stone. You will get more experience there than anywhere else. We learned from some of the best people in the industry, gaining more experience within two years than some get in 10; however, they all were eventually let go.

Cons

Crawford & Company will blatantly lie to you. There is little to no company culture. Most importantly, you will work 24/7. You will be on call 24/7 handling things well out of your experience set. During my time there, no one from the lower rungs was promoted. We saw several employees who had worked 25+ years at the company given pink slips and expected to leave within the next couple of days. They are currently downsizing several locations.

It is impossible to get certifications like CPCU, AIC, ARM when one is working 80+ hours a week and on-call 24/7. It is likely they want you to get these certifications so they can charge the clients (I.e. insurance carriers) more money for "General Adjuster" work.

There is no reasonable work life balance. Adjusters are sometimes given 10+ claims a day within a 2-3 hour geographic location with no sense of balance. The pay is some of the lowest in the industry. To see managers/higher ups fired after years of service, will ultimately make the entire staff want to leave.

Top Heavy

Former Employee - Anonymous in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Crawford & Company full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The best reason to work here are the good people that are really dedicate to doing a great job and working as a team..but it's not that many.

Cons

The infrastructure at the corporate level is too top heavy with a lot more chiefs telling subordinates what to do but not provide the appropriate system or people resources. Bonuses and raises are the least I have received in my career

Reevaluate your tall organizational structure and get more in touch with the employees at the heart of the company

Awful

Former Employee - Claims Adjuster in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Claims Adjuster in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Crawford & Company full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There are no pros for this company other than its office location is decent

Cons

Anyone who decides to work here must do so because they had no other option. The managers are terrible, the pay sucks, and the benefits are terrible compared to most other companies. The focus on getting designations is overboard, especially considering the increase in pay does not make the effort even close to worth it.

The managers need to be properly trained and the compensation and benefits should be much better.

crawford & company

Current Employee - Executive General Adjuster in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Executive General Adjuster in Houston, TX

I have been working at Crawford & Company full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

IT is good, better than the competition, many dedicated employees to work with and to benefit from their years of experience, training is available, salary is fair to good, benefits are above average. (I worked there because I needed the job, so I would recommend C&C to a friend or someone that needs a claim job)

Cons

lack of culture. advancement is limited. sweat shop for many of the inside employees and examiners, reputation has gone down hill the last couple of years. local, regional and corporate managament is only interested in their own salaries and benefits in lieu of their employees

wake up and start doing the right things. restore crawford to the prestige the company enjoyed in the past

started out great, got worse over time

Former Employee - Vocational Consultant in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Vocational Consultant in Orlando, FL

I worked at Crawford & Company full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

company car, good training, good benefits

Cons

pressure to produce, management lost track of the company's vision and became punitive instead of helpful

learn about what the branches do

HCL DR Project

Current Employee - Contractor in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Contractor in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Crawford & Company as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

As a contractor through HCL, I did not participate in the company's programs. I applaud the company, however, in its effort to move toward a more resilient IT infrastructure.

Cons

I have no issues with the company.

Continue to move toward the resilient IT environment and move toward establishing a unified business continuity/disaster recovery department.

You are simply a contracted employee and mean nothing to management!

I worked at Crawford & Company

Pros

Pay was good
    Co-workers were nice
    Contracted company was the one I came from so environment was familiar and nice

Cons

Management was incompetent
    Management lacks care for employees
    As an employee you mean nothing to company

Hire managers who actually know what they are doing and contracted company