Creative Artists Agency
www.caa.com Los Angeles, CA 1000 to 5000 Employees

Creative Artists Agency Reviews

Updated Apr 8, 2014
Creative Artists Agency – US – “Office”

Richard Lovett

Great Place to Work

New York, NY

I worked at Creative Artists Agency full-time

ProsFun atmosphere to work, and many great people to work with. Even the heads of the company were extremely friendly and great to talk to. I enjoyed my time here overall.

ConsManagement of assistants and reception from the HR department in NY wasn't the most friendly or helpful for building up everyone equally. They definitely catered to favorites and were mostly negative to those who were not, which made it difficult for so many people to advance within the company who are extremely talented and smart.

Advice to Senior ManagementSee the talent in everyone and learn not to play favorites. You end up overlooking so many great people that would do extremely well within the company.

"Mad Men" with cell phones

I worked at Creative Artists Agency full-time for more than 3 years

ProsI can't imagine a better place to learn about all the various facets of the entertainment industry and grow your network. CAA has unparalleled reach and access. If you know what you want, prove yourself, and adeptly navigate the organization by managing up and across, it's a great place to start your career in Hollywood.

ConsThe working environment as an assistant is absolutely soul-sucking, and the causal relationship being good at your job and being promoted is shaky at best. The nature of the experience is highly variable depending on department and individual boss, but the main takeaway is that it's highly political, fratty, sexist, and often abusive.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf Lovett & Co. actually want to grow the business organically (rather than just poaching agents and their client lists from other agencies that actually do develop talent and buying an entire sports agency), then they need to completely revamp the agent training program. CAA should be attracting and retaining the smartest and most innovative assistants rather than the ones who exceed at kissing ass and are willing to spend 5 years as an assistant just for a shot at being promoted. Often, the smartest assistants are the ones who leave quickly for greener pastures. The current system breeds loyalty (and desperation) but not innovation or organic growth.

Entertainment Marketing Internship

Entertainment Marketing Intern (Current Employee)
New York, NY

I have been working at Creative Artists Agency as an intern for less than a year

ProsGreat way to make connections in the industry
Give you real work that makes an impact immediately
Very well-developed internship program
Access to weekly meetings with agents from across the industry

ConsLow pay, but reflects the nature of working in the industry
Not allowed to work overtime

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

CAA is a good place to learn the ins-and-outs of Artist management.

Century City, CA

I have been working at Creative Artists Agency

ProsHardware agnostic - (Mac or PC)
Smart workers can move around quite easily into positions that they desire.
Sense of community fostered by Employees (not contractors).
Starting to diversify non-white members into their upper management roles. (After 30 years).
Great Benefits!
Cell phone use is prohibited in public spaces and at business meetings.
No stinking badges, Security uses facial recognition to determine if you belong there.
As a professional or assistant, you can watch movies all day on your computer all day long.

ConsWorkers must be get used to harsh criticism. The first five years for assistants is like a Hazing period.
Management can not hold to their own promises because they don't have any power to fulfill them.
Elitist attitude steps way over the threshold of arrogance.
The non-agent culture reminds me of high school.
The agent culture reminds me of a fraternity.
Poor planning of financial initiatives.
10% of the people do 90% of the work at CAA.
This is a puppy mill for assistants. Turn over is very high.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllowing people to work from home who have proven themselves, (5 year mark or so) will keep your office expenses lower and provide your employee with tax breaks.

Keep your word. Pay your accounts on time. The industry knows that you sit on payments and ignore the fees associated to your tardy payments.

Summer Internship Program

Summer Internship Program (Current Employee)
Los Angeles, CA

ProsGreat team environment and educational experience at hands on look at the direction of the entertainment industry. I loved hearing all the different agents speak on a daily basis.

ConsSome interns were placed in departments that had little to no work. Human resources seemed too disconnected from the program to help provide more challenging work.

Honest intro into Hollywood agenting world - bohemoth that does great things but also sucks the life outta its assistant

I worked at Creative Artists Agency as an intern for less than a year

ProsCAA is awesome because the possibilities are magnanimous given the client roster, pedigree and participation across every revenue-generating niche of entertainment.

ConsThe journey to this PRO component is long and laborious and i found that it sucked the youth and life and joy from most of who work there...most for a number of years at the helms of an agents mood-at-the-moment. Pins in needles somewhat and since you know everyone is listening always, I found the interactions to lack some level of authenticity...like it felt like I was constantly whispering.

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelop more transparent mobility portals for young professionals. The people coming outta high school may be cool with a desk job for 3-5 years but young folks with extended pedigree have a different timeline...its cool to just take the people *willing* to put up with it, but the problem with that is it turns the learned business-minded talent away. Training could take less time, better decisions could be made regarding cost savings and revenue generating if there was some transparency that helped to manage expectations instead of smugly saying, "well, you have to do whats best for you." ... which basically means, "if youre uphappy, the door is right there. We are CAA and there is a line of folks ready to take your spot."Not really all that cool of a disposition if you ask me. I get it. Its been earned. But its yucky at the end.

Play the game or it will play you

I have been working at Creative Artists Agency full-time

ProsLet's face it - the job comes with a sense of prestige. Daily interactions with the best in the business. You will acquire amazing contacts. Constantly motivated by the people around you. High caliber colleagues and clientele. Work in one of the most beautiful and well maintained offices in Hollywood. Amazing support staff. Great benefits. The company is charitable and working towards diversifying the workplace. CAA has a reputation for a reason!

ConsIt's an extremely high stress work environment not for the faint of heart. Office politics play a huge role in promotion. Corporate culture has defined the company. Sexism is rampant... So is nepotism. Assistants are paid so little they can barely keep their head above water. To make matters worse little or no overtime pay. Very competitive. You learn to trust no one. Colleagues may be gone the next day without explanation. HR holds all the power. Noticeable budget cuts in recent years make the job more difficult than ever.

Advice to Senior ManagementAssistants should be better compensated and protected. Creative input should be encouraged at all levels.

I was an assistant in the Television Literature Department for one year.

Agent Assistant (Former Employee)

I worked at Creative Artists Agency full-time for more than a year

ProsAssistants have access to major industry players and outrageous networking opportunities. It's easy to get a job coming out of CAA.

ConsMost of the agents are miserable workaholics, so the "company culture" leaves much to be desired. Assistants are not underpaid in general, but are routinely refused pay for overtime hours that they are expected to work.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe fair.

HR will be the downfall of this organization

I have been working at Creative Artists Agency full-time

ProsGreat people; great learning experience; office closed for 2 weeks between Christmas and New Years; industry leader in entertainment; cutting edge technology; strong / successful client-base; great benefits/perks

ConsHR executives cannot be trusted and act like glorified babysitters; low morale amongst non-executives; constant revolving door; poor workplace conditions; long hours; recent acquisitions and growth have resulted in loss of culture and a much more corporate environment; very low salaries for non-execs; poor communication of career advancement expectations during hiring process

Advice to Senior ManagementRe-org the entire HR division, and hire friendly staff with people skills that employees can feel comfortable approaching with concerns...before one of these concerns turns into a lawsuit.

Great place to work

Assistant (Former Employee)

I worked at Creative Artists Agency full-time for more than a year

Prosgreat insight on the entertainment industry.

ConsLong hours, low pay, and high stress

Advice to Senior Managementno advice

Worked for Creative Artists Agency? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Creative Artists Agency reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Creative Artists Agency CEO Richard Lovett. All 37 reviews posted anonymously by Creative Artists Agency employees.