Creative Breakthroughs

Steve Barone

Growing Company, A-players only

Former Employee - IT Network Security Consultant in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - IT Network Security Consultant in Detroit, MI

I worked at Creative Breakthroughs full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I learned a great deal during my time at CBI. They are a very entrepreneurial company that is focused on growth and delivering results. I would still be there today but had an opportunity to be a stay-at-home dad and consult part-time. Policies and programs from HR and throughout the company were improving and from what I hear from them today have come a long way. They are winning awards for being a cool place to work, which is good to see.

Cons

CBI is at an inflection point from being a small company to a large national player. So, this comes with growing pains, mistakes, but also improvements along the way. I'd go back to CBI if my wife was not the bread winner, because I get the sense that they're on the cusp of being a good to great kind of company. Consulting and being on the road is hard and while I was there they could have done better with including people in the field into the culture of the company.

Stay focused and don't go after new and shiny, but also continue to diversify with partners and service offerings.

Great company! It's only getting better!

I have been working at Creative Breakthroughs full-time (less than an year)

Pros

First of all, EVERY single interaction I have had with my co-workers has been excellent. The staff is absolutely friendly and courteous no matter the title or rank. Even when my peers and I disagree, the conversations have been professional.

The company is big on hiring for both skill and cultural fit; one must be intelligent, ambitious, collaborative, and results-oriented to be successful here.

EVP's provide constructive feedback. Great place to "grow a career."
    Growing tremendously fast and the future looks very, very bright.

Company has repeatedly won awards for being one of the best places to work in Detroit/Michigan.

I LOVE working here. I've landed my dream job.

Cons

Growing company so there are "growing pains." Employees MUST be flexible. Communication on new policies needs to improve from the executive offices down to support staff.

Compensation for entry-level / support staff could improve.
    No remote work policy for corporate office.

Adopt a remote work/flextime policy for the corporate office. (A majority of the company already works remotely.) One of our cultural values is "results oriented;" let's improve on flexibility and judge employees based on meeting objectives/ performance.

People recycler

I worked at Creative Breakthroughs full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Some really great and wonderful people

Cons

Executive Management:
    * No vision (or at least one that last more than 3 months)
    * No commitment - people & talent are a commodity

Decide whether you are going to be a product sales or services engine as flip flopping does not work.

Work Hard, Play Hard

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Troy, MI

I have been working at Creative Breakthroughs full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

- This is definitely a family
    - Type A - must be driven to work here
    - Entrepreneurial opportunity
    - Rapid Growth
    - Profitable
    - Great timing to join the team

Cons

If you're not willing to roll up your sleeves and work hard, this is probably not the opportunity for you. High expectations. High results. Big opportunity, but definitely not for the faint of heart.

Avoid

Former Employee - Sales
    Former Employee - Sales

I worked at Creative Breakthroughs full-time (less than an year)

Pros

- If you want to work on 100% commission, then by all means
    - Technical staff was very sharp, I feel bad for them al

Cons

- Be prepared to hand over your entire book of business
    - Be prepared to bring the egotistical CEO on every sales call
    - Get put on 100% commission as soon as you land a couple deals
    - Then get shown the door and sued if you sign an NDA.
    - On top of that, they think they are at the same level with an HP or Accenture, truly comical

People buy from the technical talent, not the management, get over yourselves.

Type A Only

I have been working at Creative Breakthroughs full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

profit sharing, company events (picnics, games, lunches), competitive salaries, opportunity

Cons

No remote working policy, no flex-time.

CBI is a rapidly growing company, and as such, it is a little chaotic, a little dysfunctional and a whole lot of fun. Think of it as family -- we do. Those looking to scrape by doing the bare minimum will not get ahead in this company. In fact, the bare minimum will probably get you called out by your peers. Expectations are high, so are the rewards. If you are proactive and have ideas, you will be heard. CBI has a long list of employees that have been promoted quickly for their hard work.

The Executive team is one of the greatest parts of CBI. This is a company, where if you have a problem or issue, you can have a conversation with CEO, COO or EVP any time. Open Door Policy.

This company is on its way up! If you're looking to be on the fast track, this is the place to be.

CBI is one of the best IT security companies around!

Current Employee - Consultant in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Consultant in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Creative Breakthroughs full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Goal oriented, very productive, impressive management team including owner outlook, "take care of us, we take care of you" type of outlook...can work out anything as long as you do your job! If you do your job right they never bother you with stupid things. I am surprised by some of the comments left here, I am certain some of these negative comments came from people with poor worth ethic! Coming from owning an IT company prior to joining CBI, it is very impressive to see how well the owner/management/sales teams are structured!

Cons

Provide better concrete structure to move up in the company to those who deserve to.

Love all of you guys! Truly impressed with everyone I have encountered so far!

Smooth interviewing and on-boarding process

Current Employee - Consultant in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Consultant in Plano, TX

I have been working at Creative Breakthroughs full-time (less than an year)

Pros

- Work as a team
    - Since it is a BYOD company not as rigid on IT rules. IT is very responsive. Provides technology allowance to pay for your cell and other technology needs.
    - Great people
    - Just announced profit sharing and stock plan!

Cons

- Small company so not as flexible on salary
    - Technology allowance is really only enough for your monthly cell/hotspot expenses.

Consider bumping up the technology allowance so we can accrue for a new laptop.

A scarcity minded company

Former Employee - Senior Consultant
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant

I worked at Creative Breakthroughs full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There are a two or three in the office who are really good people and a pleasure to work with. A couple of the consultants are great to work with.

Cons

Thoughts that come to mind when I think of CBI:
      Penny Wise Pound Foolish
      Scarcity Minded
      Arrogant
      Criminal/unethical employment practices

Almost every person in sales/services with manager or higher position up to the owner, has serious god complexes.
    Expense re-imbursement takes an act from god to get.
    They say they have 50 employees, it is closer to 25, but they must be including people that they fire for no reason.

Big thing if you are considering working for CBI, DON'T!, but if you choose not to head this warning, be very careful when signing your offer letter. They will include payback value for "training" which is payable even if they release you. This value you will be required to pay is an arbitrary number they come up with. You will get burned, count on it. Also even if fired they will hold you to non-compete, and don't appear to hesitate to take legal action.

Oh, and you will never make a penny more than your base, because bonuses are not achievable.

Let someone acquire CBI for the quality consultants and get rid of the management and owner.

leadership is arrogant

I worked at Creative Breakthroughs

Pros

great brand image and respect for detroit

Cons

treats employees bad and management has negative attitudes

recognize that without your employees, you wouldnt get work done!