Creative Technology Reviews

Sim Wong Hoo

1. Excellence

Former Contractor - AV Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Contractor - AV Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Creative Technology as a contractor (more than 8 years)

Pros

Opportunities to the company and good benefits

Cons

Travel to much and less family time.

communication

2. Good technology and ideas, bad management

I have been working at Creative Technology full-time

Pros

salary, somewhat flexible schedule, nice perks like company car

Cons

disorganized management, stressful work environment

delegate more to underlings instead of controlling every single aspect of the company

3. Good place to get a paycheck, not much else

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milpitas, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milpitas, CA

I worked at Creative Technology

Pros

During my second round with Creative I had an amazing boss. She listened to my suggestions and was honest about how she felt about my work, growth and family life. Good benefits and profit sharing even when there was no profit. Nice HR people.

Cons

The company is going no where. Extreme tension between depts to the point of them purposely being unhelpful, which cost the company millions of dollars. CEO doesn't even say hello or acknowledge the existance of employees, even after 5 years of working there. It is basically a shell company for the Singapore group. Most of the other employees would be excellent employees in another company.
    Very high turnover, almost 100% in my dept the first year I worked there. No training.

5. Filled with great people trying their best, but to no availtryin

Former Employee - Engineer in Milpitas, CA
    Former Employee - Engineer in Milpitas, CA

I worked at Creative Technology

Pros

Working at Creative, you definitely have large number of projects.
    The opportunity to with different groups and regions is one of the company strengths

Cons

1. Creative has an enormous, bureaucratic system that works to strangle any initiative from the staff level
    2. Senior management needs to have more courage and faith in their products. The will cancel projects at the first whiff of risk

Sim, you need to remake Creative from the ground up, not just pull back to Asia Pac. Remember the product you sell is Number 1!

That sucking sound you hear is Soundblaster fading in the distance....

Former Employee - Director
    Former Employee - Director

I worked at Creative Technology

Pros

Cool products ; cool people

Cons

Lack of vision, patience to allow change to have and impact, and appropriate marketing support of new products and ideas. What works in the Singapore market may not apply to the rest of the world.

Get real true leaders in the business world to straighten out the company. The current senior management group has shown little ability and promise to extract Creative from it's persistent decline.

Cool people and fun products, but they lack vision

Former Employee - Marketing in Milpitas, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing in Milpitas, CA

I worked at Creative Technology

Pros

You'll get to work with great people, creative has done a remarkable job of hiring. They used to be (and might be again) a fun place to work and with cool, new products.

Cons

The company lacks vision. They design cool products with great technology, but they never give them the level of support needed to be successful. Additionally, management simple doesn't believe in market research or fully-funded marketing and that keeps them from ever being great.

Start thinking about who you are selling products to instead of just churning out technology. If you believe in something, spend the money to be good at it. Hoping that the next product will dig you out isn't a business model.

Great place but its been dying since 2000- I doubt they make it to 2010.

Current Employee - Engineer in Milpitas, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Milpitas, CA

I have been working at Creative Technology

Pros

This is a great place to work with great people, management cares about its employees, there are exciting projects, excellent work environment with decent relationships amoung peers. Good opportunities for hard workers, if you don't get laid off due to relentless expense cutting.

Cons

Upper management does an awful job running the business. They have been losing money (from operations) almost every quarter for years. They are kind to their employees, however, there are constant layoffs due to their inability to turn a profit. In 2000 we had two building in Milpitas- then the downturn started. First we cut back to onebuilding, now we are on one floor of one building.

Get a clue on how to run a business- make products that people actually want to buy.

9. Great place for fresh graduates to start with

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Singapore (Singapore)
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Singapore (Singapore)

I worked at Creative Technology full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Learn various consumer technologies and ecstatic to see consumer buy products you developed. Creative staff are sometimes the biggest fan through staff purchase. Good working environment where colleagues are kind, playful and helpful.

Cons

The entire management needs to be replaced as they are the one that brought the downfall of the company. We have lost too many good staff through their mismanagement. Those that can leave already left. It is sad to see a local multinational headquater to shrink from previously of 3 main buildings down to occupying 6 floors of a building, and start charging employee for car park charges.

Even Singapore political party PAP know self-regenerates, perhaps Creative can learn a lesson from them.

10. A work-life balance, flexible working time and friendly working environment.

Former Employee - Junior Product Engineer
    Former Employee - Junior Product Engineer

I worked at Creative Technology full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

A great working environment, helping hands between colleagues like big family. Employee benefits are acceptable.

Cons

Hardly to get promoted. Less chance to grow skills and experiences, rarely provide training programs.

Bosses may consider to provide more trainings or education programs to develop the employee's skills and knowledge.

11. A good place to work at, but then lack of career growth opportunity.

I have been working at Creative Technology

Pros

Good Product and People there

Cons

Lack of Career Growth and Opportunity

Creative Technology Photos

Outside The US headquarters of Creative Labs, Creative Technology's American subsidiary, in Milpitas, California (Photo by Coolcaesar - available under under CC-BY-NC-SA 3.0 & GFDL, v1.2)

+ Add Photo