Creative Technology

www.creative.com

Creative Technology Reviews

Updated Jul 10, 2014
Creative Technology – Milpitas – “Outside The US headquarters of Creative Labs…”

Creative Technology Chairman and CEO Sim Wong Hoo

Sim Wong Hoo

Excellence

AV Engineer (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsOpportunities to the company and good benefits

ConsTravel to much and less family time.

Advice to Senior Managementcommunication

Good technology and ideas, bad management

Prossalary, somewhat flexible schedule, nice perks like company car

Consdisorganized management, stressful work environment

Advice to Senior Managementdelegate more to underlings instead of controlling every single aspect of the company

Good place to get a paycheck, not much else

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Milpitas, CA

ProsDuring my second round with Creative I had an amazing boss. She listened to my suggestions and was honest about how she felt about my work, growth and family life. Good benefits and profit sharing even when there was no profit. Nice HR people.

ConsThe company is going no where. Extreme tension between depts to the point of them purposely being unhelpful, which cost the company millions of dollars. CEO doesn't even say hello or acknowledge the existance of employees, even after 5 years of working there. It is basically a shell company for the Singapore group. Most of the other employees would be excellent employees in another company.
    Very high turnover, almost 100% in my dept the first year I worked there. No training.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Filled with great people trying their best, but to no availtryin

Engineer (Former Employee) Milpitas, CA

ProsWorking at Creative, you definitely have large number of projects.
    The opportunity to with different groups and regions is one of the company strengths

Cons1. Creative has an enormous, bureaucratic system that works to strangle any initiative from the staff level
    2. Senior management needs to have more courage and faith in their products. The will cancel projects at the first whiff of risk

Advice to Senior ManagementSim, you need to remake Creative from the ground up, not just pull back to Asia Pac. Remember the product you sell is Number 1!

That sucking sound you hear is Soundblaster fading in the distance....

Director (Former Employee)

ProsCool products ; cool people

ConsLack of vision, patience to allow change to have and impact, and appropriate marketing support of new products and ideas. What works in the Singapore market may not apply to the rest of the world.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet real true leaders in the business world to straighten out the company. The current senior management group has shown little ability and promise to extract Creative from it's persistent decline.

Cool people and fun products, but they lack vision

Marketing (Former Employee) Milpitas, CA

ProsYou'll get to work with great people, creative has done a remarkable job of hiring. They used to be (and might be again) a fun place to work and with cool, new products.

ConsThe company lacks vision. They design cool products with great technology, but they never give them the level of support needed to be successful. Additionally, management simple doesn't believe in market research or fully-funded marketing and that keeps them from ever being great.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart thinking about who you are selling products to instead of just churning out technology. If you believe in something, spend the money to be good at it. Hoping that the next product will dig you out isn't a business model.

Great place but its been dying since 2000- I doubt they make it to 2010.

Engineer (Current Employee) Milpitas, CA

ProsThis is a great place to work with great people, management cares about its employees, there are exciting projects, excellent work environment with decent relationships amoung peers. Good opportunities for hard workers, if you don't get laid off due to relentless expense cutting.

ConsUpper management does an awful job running the business. They have been losing money (from operations) almost every quarter for years. They are kind to their employees, however, there are constant layoffs due to their inability to turn a profit. In 2000 we had two building in Milpitas- then the downturn started. First we cut back to onebuilding, now we are on one floor of one building.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a clue on how to run a business- make products that people actually want to buy.

Good place to be complacent

Associate Manager (Former Employee) Singapore (Singapore)

ProsFriendly co-workers. Somewhat pro-employee and sometimes a big heart is shown

ConsWhat's already said by others

Advice to Senior ManagementMarketing, Marketing, Marketing!!!

Good walfare benefits and some managers. Heavy office politics.

Software Engineer (Former Employee) Singapore (Singapore)

Pros- Good Staff Welfare & Benefits
    - Good Managers (Some)
    - Relaxing Environment

Cons- Jobs tend to be boring & old fashioned.
    - The ways they do things are so ineffective and waste of time.
    - Tends to get last minute jobs and need to finish within a short period of time.
    - Heavy Office Politics (Especially at the Finance Department. 1-2 Finance Staffs (Y & ?) are always unfriendly and rude. When asked them questions they will either give you no answer or half of it and will scold you when you asked. But they will not give you a direct and full answers. They tend to bully newbies staff alot. Often heard that they will just scold those newbies loudly in front of other staff not keeping them any face. Such staffs should be given warning or just get kick out as they are not the boss)

Advice to Senior Management- Increase productivity. Reduce those unneeded paper work and save time.
    - Try to set a longer time frame for last minute job.
    - Retrench those staff who acts like a boss when they are not. They caused nuisance to all the staffs & making them unhappy.
    - Listen to staffs comments. Newbies can't work more than a year in the company.

Good Work & Life Balance, but lack leadership

Manager (Current Employee) Singapore (Singapore)

ProsGood Work & Life Balance

ConsPoor leadership - business units, groups, departments are not all working towards the same goal of making the company profitable (Each fighting on their own)

Advice to Senior ManagementListen and provide proper direction in leading a good company. Group your BU, groups, departments to ensure there are no conflicting goals....Be it - proper product differentiation, processes, KPI...etc.

Worked for Creative Technology? Contribute to the Community!