Credera

Updated November 25, 2014
4.7

Credera President and CEO Rob Borrego
Rob Borrego

Pros
  • Strong values, intensive training and a strong emphasis on work-life balance (in 6 reviews)

• The leadership is focused heavily on the company's core values, and they truly exemplify them (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • There is a lot to be done, and sometimes the work life balance gets hard (in 8 reviews)

• Business Development is a critical path skill to the leadership of the company (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Excellent people

Current Employee - Consultant (C1) in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Consultant (C1) in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Credera full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Every employee knows and lives the core values. This company has a rigorous interview process so that only the best get in. As a first year consultant I have worked on average under 45 hours and traveled very little.

Cons

Best management I have ever worked for by far, but they are very over worked and have too much on their plate.

Great firm!

I have been working at Credera full-time

Pros

- culture is great
    - talent is great
    - work is great
    - Credera is a great place
    - I would highly recommend Credera to a friend

Cons

the work we do requires dedication, commitment and a willingness to push across the finish line. Some people aren't wired this way. That is ok, this just isn't a good place for them. It is important to recognize if you choose to come to work here it will be tough, but rewarding.

Great Job, Great Company

Former Employee - Consultant in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Consultant in Dallas, TX

I worked at Credera full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Strong values, intensive training and a strong emphasis on work-life balance. Great people and culture.

Cons

Initial training is very intensive, practice you get hired to you work for the entirety of your career here.

Credera Response

Oct 13, 2014

We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback and are glad to hear you enjoyed being apart of Credera’s culture and team. Please know our desire is for each employee to be placed in the ... More

Amazingly talented people, very intense work environment.

Former Employee - Manager in Addison, TX
    Former Employee - Manager in Addison, TX

I worked at Credera full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The talent level at Credera is off the charts. The recruiting process is very rigorous so very few low performers make it in. There are some tremendously caring leaders in the company. Outstanding work is raised up for praise and rewarded through recognition. The work product produced by Credera is absolutely top notch. While their bill rates to clients are on the higher side, the quality of the work exceeds the bill rates.

Having worked for Credera, if my firm needs help blazing new trails, I would go to Credera first. Even if it was an area where Credera did not have sufficient experience, I would still go to them as I have seen how they attack new challenges. Their team exhibits thought leadership that can solve complex problems even if they have not been there before. That cannot be overstated.

The number of long term clients Credera has engaged is VERY unique in the consulting world. For a client to pay a consulting company top dollar for amazing talent and to do it on project after project speaks volumes about how well Credera develops client relationships, delivers on it's promises, and EXCEEDS client expectations.

The company is growing which opens up more opportunities for the employees to move up and take leadership roles.

The compensation was competitive but not top of the line for the talent level of the team.

The focus on giving back is awesome, especially the support of faith based initiatives. Performing a company service day to serve at the North Texas Food Bank (read that as trading a full billable day of revenue to serve others!), continually engaging in the recognition of activities related to service work by employees, and helping those less fortunate is real and a very special part of the company.

Cons

Like many small companies, the insurance benefits package is expensive. All additional training was done on my own time while working well over a 40 hour work week and trying to meet aggressive client deliverable deadlines. This eats into the work-life balance of the team. Those that work the most hours are praised the most and this is contrary to the work-life balance that is desired to be part of the culture.

Business Development is a critical path skill to the leadership of the company. Consider having a path that allows for more advancement to retain top technical talent that does not include business development.

Any company that is growing has growing panes, capacity constraints on internal needs, etc. Credera is not unique in this arena. However, this is a good problem to have vs contraction pains.

With the above items being said, make no mistake that I am amazingly thankful for the time I had at Credera.

Spend more time investing in the Business Development skills of those at the Manager/Architect level. I believe that some great technical talent has been lost that could have had a long term place at Credera due to lack of support here.

While the desire to have great work life balance is clearly a goal of the partner team, the reality is that way too many things bleed into personal time (reviews, personal development, overflow work to meet aggressive deadlines). There seems to be a disconnect between what is messaged and the reality of the culture. It is tremendously admirable that Credera has a desire to provide an environment like this but it may be impossible to craft a company that produces the quality of work that Credera produces and have that work-life balance.

The best place to work for the right people

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Addison, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Addison, TX

I have been working at Credera full-time (more than an year)

Pros

When I was initially hired by Credera I thought about immediately writing a Glassdoor review, but decided I could write a better review once I had spent some more time at the firm. Now that I have been at Credera for over a year I feel confident that the "honeymoon" phase of my employment has past and I can write a more objective, useful, and unbiased review. Please note that I am in Credera's technical "track" and I am a relatively junior level within the firm; this review specifically speaks to my experiences in that segment of the company. I can't imagine my experience being significantly different from the non-technical or senior guys, but it still might be worth it to look for a management consultant's and/or a more senior level perspective in addition to mine.

It is particularly difficult to give a glimpse into what the Credera is like since each consultant's experience is different based on the client and project they are staffed on. I found it funny that the standard answer to almost all of my interview questions was "it depends followed by an explanation of why"; now that I am inside the firm I totally understand. A large portion of your work depends on the client, the project, and the Credera resources you are working with.

Given the ambiguity, if I had to write a one line summary of my experience at Credera it would be:

"It is the best place to work for the right people"

A good follow up question you might be thinking is "who are the right people?".

I think the ideal person for the firm is someone who is smart, self-motivated, hates red tape, and is humble.

My first project for the firm was a solo project. It was me, the client, and a very aggressive deadline. During the project I had carte blanche to get the project done. From Credera's point of view there was no process or procedure that held me back. I was able to talk to senior level clients and Credera simply trusted me to do what was right. It was true freedom and the sense of accomplishment upon completing the project was akin to an athlete winning a game. My first project was truly an exhilarating and rewarding experience. Many companies pay lip service to trusting their people, but this is the first place I have ever really felt like it. The flip-side to this is that you can fail. If you like to fly under the radar, "check out", or otherwise avoid getting it done, the freedom given to you will make you miserable as you are the only one responsible for its failure .

So without further ado a brief list of what I feel the pros of Credera are.

I have added side comments in parenthesis where I felt I wanted to clarify.

Pros:
        ⁃ Talented and genuine people.
        ⁃ Trusting leadership which empowers their employees (love you guys!)
        ⁃ Culture that is honest, professional, humble, and acts with integrity.
        ⁃ Logical company policies. (If there is a policy that doesn't make sense leadership actively seeks feedback to fix what is broken.)
        ⁃ Great company trips.
        ⁃ Company actively involved with charity and good works. (We did an activity with Mercy Street last year as well as donated money to many other organizations)
        ⁃ Good work-life balance. (Project Director spoke with me when I was running on empty during a particularly difficult project).
        ⁃ Fair compensation letting me focus on work and not worrying about pay.
        ⁃ Company promotes learning and growing.
        ⁃ Rewarding mentorship program and review process. (The reviews here are used for more than just determining who gets a raise)
        ⁃ Open information about the financials of the firm, new hires, people leaving the firm, and family events. (It is refreshing to have all of the information on the table during our monthly meetings)
        ⁃ Broaden your technical horizons rapidly to learn new technologies and methodologies.
        ⁃ Deepen your understanding of what you already know to a new level.
        ⁃ Learn and improve soft skills. (As a technical guy I can't speak enough to the importance of this).
        ⁃ Establish a valuable network of both coworkers and clients.
        ⁃ Senior management has an open door policy and I feel that I can talk to any of them.
        ⁃ Ping Pong at the office to unwind.
        ⁃ Did I mention the Great people?

Cons

I think many of the things that I have disliked are a function of consulting rather than working specifically at Credera. All of my previous experience has been in industry and consulting is definitely a change of pace. From what I understand many of these complaints apply to most consulting firms and according to acquaintances are relatively mild at Credera compared to other firms.

For me, the single hardest thing has been the contrast between the Credera culture and the client culture. The Credera culture is awesome, but I spend most of my time on site with the client. Learning to be remotely connected to Credera was difficult for me. Plugging into the "mothership" during monthly Credera meetings as well as reaching out to my mentor and senior leadership for lunches has been invaluable for refreshing and keeping in touch. Otherwise it was too easy to feel like a satellite far removed from the great Credera culture.

The second difficulty I had was being staffed on projects that were not in my skill set. I had to learn new (to me) technologies on the fly with a deadline. This was not fun especially with old technologies that did not interest me.

Finally, it can be hard as a consultant to not have complete ownership of the project. The client always has the final say. Learning to take a project that might be in disarray because of bad decisions and put all the pieces together is tiresome hard work when you could have just done it right from the beginning. This can be frustrating when the clients don't have the resources in house to understand the problems you are trying to communicate to them. Learning to balance the client relationship and technology considerations has been a difficult learning curve for me.

Cons:
        ⁃ Might spend lots of time away from Credera on client site. (It can be rough working for a great company but being placed on a client isolated from the great culture)
        ⁃ Requirement at higher levels for technical people to be involved with business development (This has not yet affected me at my level, but I felt that it was worth mentioning).
        ⁃ If you are used to being the best in the room be prepared to get brought down to earth. You will be surrounded by people who WILL be smarter than you. Time to be humbled! (For me it can be hard to admit I don't know something and being surrounded by people that know more than me makes me check my pride)
        ⁃ Could get staffed on a project that is not in your "wheelhouse". (Meaning you could be on a project that is not in your skill set and you will have to learn on the fly. This is a bummer if the technology you are learning does not interest you and you have to learn it under a deadline)
        ⁃ Company is still growing and you will be subject to some of those growing pains. (Kind of vague, but things change as our size grows and even in the year I have been here I have seen us having to figure out what the larger Credera looks like)
        ⁃ The company has very religious ties. This does not bother me, but if you are offended by even hearing mention of God, Credera might not be a good fit for you. (For example we have prayed at company gatherings and the CEO mentions God in company meetings) (I also must point out that the leaders are VERY tolerant of other views/religions and there are many people employed here who are not of the same faith as them; myself included)
        ⁃ Credera is a smaller company so the benefits aren't the best. (I pay more for my health insurance here than I previously did.)
        ⁃ Consulting involves lots of uncertainty. (every client and engagement is completely unique. If you don't like uncertainty this might not be the best industry for you)
        ⁃ You could be put on a client with a long commute and/or travel. (Very few people travel, but there are some. For the most part people commute locally to clients or work out of the Credera office)
        ⁃ Lots of work (couldn't decide whether to put this under pro or con. I always prefer to have interesting things to do, but to some it could be viewed as a negative).
        ⁃ Sometimes polishing things for presentation takes more time/effort than the actual work.

All in all I am very happy with my decision to come to Credera. I am enthusiastic about the direction of the firm and wholeheartedly endorse the CEO.

Never lower the bar for hiring. I would prefer to not reach profit goals and preserve the unique culture we have.

Great place for those seeking significance

Current Employee - Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Credera full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Integrity, professionalism, humility, and excellence - these are Credera's values and provide great insight into Credera's culture. Although leaders are not perfect, they do try their best to demonstrate these values. I feel that employees are valued as much as clients. From my experience, that is not always the case at other consulting firms.

There are many opportunities to grow and develop. Sometimes you have to seek these opportunities beyond your current job responsibilities, but leadership welcomes new ideas, passion, and a desire to help others. This makes me feel that I can make a big impact at work and in my community (Credera donates time and money to charities).

Cons

The hiring bar is high, which is a good thing. However, I have seen a few strong candidates not make it through the process. Don't let that deter you from applying.

Keep up the great work. Continue to solicit feedback on how Credera's culture and processes can be improved.

Credera is a great place to work

Current Employee - Consultant
    Current Employee - Consultant

I have been working at Credera full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Fantastic, smart, friendly coworkers
    Management that really cares about employees
    Career advancement opportunities
    Low amount of travel for consulting company
    Good work/life balance
    Review process is difficult but fair, that rewards employees who've earned it
    Large bonuses

Cons

Pay is average

Benefits are below average - Credera offers a low 401k match (also a really long vesting period), could pay more on employee healthcare, and don't have a lot of common perks most companies have (adoption credits, continuing education options, etc)

There are several annoying things employees are encouraged to do like write blogs and submit 3 self reviews per year (outside of your normal work hours).

Credera claims they only hire A+ players, yet the pay/benefits are B-. If Credera wants to continue to compete in the current talent war, they need to offer better salaries and employee perks/benefits.

Credera is Consulting as it Should Be

I have been working at Credera full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I worked at another consulting firm for about 6 years prior to joining Credera. Before I found Credera, I thought consulting just wasn't for me anymore because I was frustrated by the dog eat dog culture and the "do what it takes to close the deal" sales mentality. Credera showed me that consulting can be about building each other up and more about helping our clients than "selling" to them. Most companies give lip service to culture, but until you've been at a company that actually has a good culture, you can't really understand what good culture is. - Credera truly has a great family-like culture that cares about me, my career, and my work-life balance. Also, the talent bar is very high in recruiting, so I don't feel like I'm having to pick up slack for any peers that are "in over their head".

Cons

Credera is a smaller but growing consulting company. There are some internal processes that are not as mature as at the larger consulting firms, and there are some growing pains as Credera figures out what "bigger" looks like for us.

I can't think of anything to put hear because all the partners truly want feedback all the time... anything I would want to say, I've already said to them personally (and they've probably already done something about it too). If anything, I'd just say: keep those lines of communication open and welcoming

A working family with amazing people

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Credera full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Credera makes a concerted effort to maintain the culture and relationships of a tiny firm, despite the fact that it has been one of the fastest growing companies in America for years. The Credera leadership takes the time each month to sit in a room with all of the employees and answer hard questions and be honest about the state of the company and the way ahead. That sort of transparency is rare and allows you to know the situation around you, which can effect the way you work!

Cons

There is not a very robust training program in place, so be prepared to self-teach, seek out subject matter experts, and read/learn during your free time. If you do not have a technology background, you will be at a disadvantage.

- Solidify methodologies (whether unique or adapted) and incorporate them into a training plan ( i know this is already under way)
    - Set clear objectives for performance so employees have a goal to meet. Use Senior Managers and Managers to do this, but we are small enough that I should know exactly what I need to do in order to receive the next higher CPM rating

A Great Place to Work!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Credera full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Credera has made my transition from my previous employer, a smooth and wonderful experience. Everyone here has welcomed me with open arms and has treated me like family since day one. I really enjoy the family atmosphere and the values that everyone here exhibits. I enjoy coming to the office every day!

Cons

Credera has extremely high standards. Everyone here is highly motivated and great at what they do. If you are currently the "best" at what you do in your current workplace, Credera would be a great place to challenge you.