Credit Acceptance

Updated November 11, 2014
3.4

Credit Acceptance CEO Brett A. Roberts
Brett A. Roberts

Pros
  • And the guy who said it's HR putting up all the Great Place to Work reviews, I'm nowhere near HR (in 5 reviews)

• Promotes from within and rewards hard work (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • It's all about being a Great Place to Work, until they fire you over one mistake (in 3 reviews)

• it is a company that believes in hard work and dedication and rewards people accordingly for that (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Credit Acceptance Rocks!!!

I have been working at Credit Acceptance full-time

Pros

Credit Acceptance was one of the best jobs I've had- due to the fact they were very understanding to family needs, that allowed you to balance home and work, the pay was outstanding and the works were very flexible

Cons

I can't think of any cons. However, working in a call center things change constantly. For instance, there is a quarterly shift bid. But other than that, everything was great.

Great program and good company, but unrealistic performance metrics

I have been working at Credit Acceptance full-time

Pros

Good pay and benefits. Management sincerely wants to help and is constantly making the product better.

Cons

They have certain performance metrics that create unrealistic expectations. This causes the sales reps to make bad decisions in order to "hit a number" and will lead to bigger problems with dealers in the future.

Get rid of E to A metric and just let us enroll the dealers we want to work with.

Great learning experience!

I worked at Credit Acceptance

Pros

Great pay, great atmosphere, and good hours.

Cons

Must be willing to work hard and dedicate the need time to learning your position. If attention to detail and or an aggressive nature are not your strong points may be tough.

Better management of team environment will promote a happier workforce.

Great place to work

Former Employee - Front End in Southfield, MI
    Former Employee - Front End in Southfield, MI

I worked at Credit Acceptance part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Friendly, decent pay, great work life balance

Cons

Communication, bonus and computer system

Management Needs to Wake Up!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Southfield, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Southfield, MI

I worked at Credit Acceptance full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Casual dress code and flexible schedules.

Cons

Management does not follow the values. The leaders bad-mouth each other and ruin the culture they are trying to create. There is a lot of office gossip that comes from the highest levels in the organization. There is no accountability for the bad behavior. I left the organization because the culture did not represent the values. Hopefully this will be addressed at some point so the environment will change. Just writing it on the walls does not make it so.

Start leading by example and stop bad-mouthing each other. Address the poor behavior of the leaders who gossip, tear others down and promote a culture of fear.

Set up to Fail

Former Employee - Recruiter in Southfield, MI
    Former Employee - Recruiter in Southfield, MI

I worked at Credit Acceptance as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Outside of the department I worked in......people seemed very happy. I would say the President has the right idea in mind with employee engagement. Your employees are the greatest assets to your company. Take care of them and they will take good care of your company.

Cons

I accepted a temp to hire position with Credit Acceptance over a perm position I found on my own due to the reviews, I felt this would be a good place to work for. From the start I was not given direction to work in the position I interviewed for and in fact I was put in a position that I had NO prior experience or training. I expressed my concerns to my agency and when that fell on deaf ears, I spoke to who I reported to. Which went on deaf ears as well. To make things worse, as a contract to hire employee you don't receive a run down on their procedures, policies or even so much as manual to review. I was left "winging it" and when I would ask anyone on the team, I was told, "it's not important". Unless I would do something the wrong way, then I was told "that is not the way we do things here". I tried desperately to make the best of it, however with no opportunity to prove myself in the job I was suppose to be in and looking like a lost puppy when it came to procedure's, I was doomed. One example would be, I was told by the team that everyone, including contractors could work from home once a week. I confirmed with who I report to and she even approved my access from home "token" from the Helpdesk. My mother in law passed away very unexpectedly and I asked the VP if she was ok with me working from home the next day. She came up to my work space and said, "Of course, take the time you need". I received a call from my agency the next day they said it was not working out. To grieve the loss of my mother in law with not so much as a verbal condolence from one person on my team when I was at work was also an eye opener. Sitting in that seat I learned many sat before me and everyone on the team was fairly new or had been there a few years. In my interview, I should have seen the red flag when I was told the first thing executed was firing most of the team. I should have known right at that moment, I would be treated no different. Thank you to the few recruiters that did try to give me an idea of the process and procedure's. I do really appreciate your time, I know how busy you are. To the one that told me over and over when I asked questions, "it's not important", you should know that it was and I could only hope you don't find yourself in the same position one day.

I would give the same respect to the consultants aka "temp or temp to hire" employees as you do your new hires. If you feel it is important to give them tools to succeed, we should be given that same fair advantage.

It actually is a Great Place to Work, IF...

Current Employee - Manager (External Hire)
    Current Employee - Manager (External Hire)

I have been working at Credit Acceptance full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Does require that people display the PRIDE Core Values and when violations are brought to light, those individuals are dealt with. There are many avenues to get issues to senior management. The Red Tape Remover system works. It gets you straight to the CEO with no middleman. So for all the people who are complaining about managers and supervisors, unless you made an effort to get to Brett, you really should hush up. And the guy who said it's HR putting up all the Great Place to Work reviews, I'm nowhere near HR.

Cons

Credit Acceptance is not perfect. It IS a Great Place to Work IF you are ready to conform and that is my struggle. I love my job and the company but senior management tends to be longer service employees and are stuck doing things in ways that are not aligned with the rest of the world. It is really a wonderful thing that the company is big on promoting from within but the people I work with seem unwilling to step outside of the box the company has created for itself and is way behind the times in many areas. And those who don't conform are seen as not being a fit for the company but that's not true.

Allow the people you hire to do the jobs for which they were hired - especially your external hires. Hopefully, you hired us because we are great at what we do. Don't stifle us or try to turn us into more of the same. One of the PRIDE values is "Insightful" and one of the critical characteristics of leadership is TRUST. If you're hiring insightful people who are experts at what they do, listen to them,TRUST their insight and expertise and let go of the antiquated, inefficient, and ineffective ways of doing things that keep CA in a bad place in some areas.

Avoid the tax department!!!

Current Employee - Tax in Southfield, MI
    Current Employee - Tax in Southfield, MI

I have been working at Credit Acceptance full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The company overall is prosperous and doing well.

Cons

A tax manager that doesn't know anything about taxes. He will ambush you by coming up with criticism out of the blue for things never mentions when giving you an assignment. Management views their jobs as to manage, not doing any work. You are there to do the work. They are there to see that you get it done.

Take a look at your tax manager and ask yourself why you have to pay outside consultants so much. It is because the guy is a fraud.

THE BEST COMPANY TO WORK FOR!!!!!

Former Employee - Collection Specialist in Southfield, MI
    Former Employee - Collection Specialist in Southfield, MI

I worked at Credit Acceptance full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I love the flexibility and potential for growth!!!!! The environment is professional, friendly and fun! Salary and benefits are just as great!

Cons

The challenge I faced was personal. I had to understand the importance of my job function. Once I did that I was fine.

Keep doing what you do!

This company is micromanagement, paralysis by analysis, and good old boy upper management.

Current Employee - Market Area Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Market Area Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Credit Acceptance full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Free travel and free meals from your boss when they fly in and fly out.

Cons

Worst corporate culture ever. Stay away from this company if you care about your professional career path.

Learn to value people over profit. Also the "Great place to work reviews" on here are a lame attempt by HR to bury the real reviews like this one.

Credit Acceptance Photos