Credit Karma

Credit Karma Founder and CEO Ken Lin
Ken Lin

Fast growth

I have been working at Credit Karma full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Overall, working at Credit Karma is exciting. The product is important and innovative. Depending on your department, there are significant chances to move ahead and be promoted into better roles. The culture is still relaxed, but everyone is expected to work hard. Convenient office locations and occasional offsite events. Just started matching 401k contributions, which is great.

Cons

The frenetic growth leads to disorganization and confusion. Processes change all the time, and keeping track of who "owns" what is frustrating. Compensation leaves a bit to be desired.

Unlimited sick time or more PTO. Find a way to get all employees in the same building.

This place is amazing.

Current Employee - Software Engineer In Test Lead in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer In Test Lead in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Credit Karma full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Happy agile teams producing cool stuff. All ideas being actively considered. New technologies every day. Managers who care about people.

Cons

The company is split between two offices which means a hike for those who lead teams in both places.

Keep it up!

Great Company, great people, exciting environment

Current Employee - Infrastructure Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Infrastructure Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Credit Karma

Pros

Fun working environment, lots of different things going on, and you have the opportunity to get involved in nearly any project that interests you. Management is amazingly good for a company that is growing as fast as it is. They haven't fallen prey to some of the ego centric issues that tend to surface in a highly successful startup. Excellent downtown San Francisco location. They make a product to be proud of. The company recognizes and rewards exceptional efforts. Looking for a raise or promotion, it's all about what you do and not who you know.

Cons

Growth is so fast that the company can't keep up with office space, meaning you move quite a bit from desk to desk, floor to floor, office to office. Working area is quite loud, be prepared to wear noise blocking headphones/earphones.

Keep up the executive management accessibility to the general employee, most may not take advantage of it, but it's a moral booster to know you can go straight to the CEO if you have to. Don't be stingy on the in-office refreshments, it really does matter!

Great Culture, Great People, Great Company

I have been working at Credit Karma full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Engaged and passionate people
    Cohesive company mission
    Fun and challenging atmosphere

Cons

Fast growth is causing growing pains
    Does not have free lunch every day

Credit Karma is one of those rare companies where you know your part of something special. I feel very blessed to be part of something that is helping people every day. Coming into work every day makes me jazzed and excited to work with some of the most talented folks in my career.

Supportive environment, smart people, great company

I have been working at Credit Karma full-time

Pros

Really nice and friendly people. Respectful and willing to help. Good work/life balance too. Off-site events. Still small enough that you can make a big impact. Close to BART. Now have 401k matches.

Cons

Growing so fast that it can be tough to keep everyone in the loop. Need to work hard to keep the culture with an influx of new hires. I'd like to have the food offerings expanded to keep in line with other bigger startups.

Actively look for ways to create transparency and look for feedback. Expanded PTO benefits.

Good Karma; Great Opportunities!

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Credit Karma full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Strong company values, frequent participation in charitable events. Committed to providing a service that truly benefits end users. New and interesting challenges, given the scale of the product, provide plenty of opportunities for growth. Coworkers are friendly and intelligent and always happy to share knowledge. Lots of extra-curricular groups for everything from board games to hiking.

Cons

Benefits package is a bit underwhelming compared to other companies, though salary is competitive. Promotion path is not well defined for certain roles. Upper management is supportive and helpful, but ultimately spread too thin given recent company growth.

Continue to improve the benefits offerings. Company events really help bring the new faces into the fold! Try to maintain that small company feel despite the exponential growth.

Great people, great leadership, great product

I have been working at Credit Karma full-time (more than a year)

Pros

To expand on the title -

People here are awesome. Everyone's enthusiastic, smart, hardworking. You know how in most companies there's always someone people avoid working with, because they're lazy/incompetent/has a terrible attitude? Here, I can't think of anyone like that. We're really, really careful about who we hire and it shows. People care about the work and people care about each other. Oh, and we like each other too - people make fast friends and hang out at and outside of work.

The leadership is really outstanding. They're approachable, shockingly intelligent, and express our company's vision very clearly. They encourage challenging the status quo because they do it themselves. I don't think there's anyone who doesn't have the utmost respect for the people leading the charge at CK.

The product is another great reason to work here. You can work at a great company with good perks, culture, etc, but if you're not contributing to something that will have a positive impact on people's lives (or worse, if you're doing something that you know actively harms people - those companies absolutely exist) you don't feel all that great at the end of the day. We're trying to make sure our product helps people in better and broader ways. And it feels pretty sweet.

Cons

This is a startup. This means that processes are fluid (but getting tightened up) and there aren't really training or orientation programs. And we're growing really quickly, which means that we don't all know each other anymore, and we're making a lot of changes to office life that are hard to adapt to - new processes, changing this or that IT thing.

Promotions depend on what group you're in. Some teams have frequent promotions, and some just...don't. If title is something you care about, though, it's just something you have to make known and your manager will help you work toward that. Still, it would be a little nicer to have more structure around career development.

Keep doing what you're doing. Stay focused on the people who work here, even as the team grows and you don't recognize all the faces anymore. It's really easy for a great culture to fall apart if you're not careful.

And don't go public too soon. Becoming a public company is complicated, and annoying, and potentially detrimental to the CK vision. We have so much more to do.

Great culture, great work life balance, located in downtown SF

Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Credit Karma full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Huge opportunity to work on important features. There's still more work to be done than employees to make it happen.
    Clear direction by the CEO, who strongly values user experience over short-term revenue gains.
    Great culture, valuing work-life balance more than most other companies growing this fast.

Cons

Usual high-growth pains: old timers protecting their turf, lack of communication between teams.

Be open to new ideas that can have a strong consumer and business impact. We'll find a way to make them happen.

Fast paced, high growth company with amazing people (and perks)

I have been working at Credit Karma

Pros

Credit Karma is doing a great job at ensuring that with all this growth, the culture shifts in the right direction. Company has excellent leadership on the senior management team. In addition, Credit Karma offers great perks (bootcamps, yoga, meditation, game nights, comedy nights, Giants games, stocked kitchen, COLD BREW!). Credit Karma empowers employees to make a direct impact. You are surrounded by passionate, smart people working on a product focused on a social mission. It's awesome working here!!!

Cons

Nothing major. Company is always trying to improve perks and benefits.

Keep making the same amount of progress. You are headed in the right direction.

Great company with exciting growth opportunities

I have been working at Credit Karma full-time

Pros

Credit Karma cares about the success of its business, but understands that this depends on the success of its PEOPLE. Opportunities are given based on merit and how you've proven yourself, not popularity. There is still plenty of room to enact real change in the company, and that's exciting.

Cons

More people means things move more slowly. There are additional levels of approval, which sometimes makes getting things prioritized tough. But this is understandable. Moving from a young startup to a viable company means more experienced people are needed.