Credit Suisse Reviews

3.5
1,517 Reviews
Credit Suisse CEO, Credit Suisse Group and Credit Suisse Brady W. Dougan
Brady W. Dougan

Pros
  • It provides excellent work life balance for personal development in the spare time (in 161 reviews)

• There may be opportunities to work in other countries through internal mobility for those interested (in 62 reviews)

Cons
  • Management was inflexible to find ways that analysts could find work / life balance (in 81 reviews)

• long hours, which made it difficult to maintain a work-life balance (in 64 reviews)

1. Great place to work for people that would like to make a difference

Current Employee - Managing Director in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Managing Director in New York, NY

I have been working at Credit Suisse full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Smart people, civil and respectful culture, lots of opportunity to drive improvements if you aren't afraid to be a leader and drive things.

Cons

Sometimes feel like many of the smart people are waiting for somebody to give them permission to drive change - need more people that will take initiative to drive change w/o over syndicating for permission and approval. Risk adverse and too consensus driven.

Don't be afraid to make the tough decisions.

2. Great Company to work for but not as good as past years.

Former Employee - Senior Software Developer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Software Developer in New York, NY

I worked at Credit Suisse

Pros

Excellent technology, work environment and good work-life balance.

Cons

Bonus/Benefits/401K match/Profit Sharing not as good as past years.

3. Was given a lot of responsibility right away. Was good work/life balance, good place to work for women

Former Employee - Vice President in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Vice President in New York, NY

I worked at Credit Suisse full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Promotions, good life balance, training, location

Cons

Low bonuses, poor management decisions

5. great place with great people

Current Employee - Director
    Current Employee - Director

I have been working at Credit Suisse full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

smart and hard working people along with exceptional benefits including in house cafeteria. Teamwork was great as was the staff both above and below me

Cons

competition from within perceived competition from other banks sometimes forced us to be reactionary rather than proactive. The bathrooms had not been updated for at least five years.

6. Assistant Vice President

Current Employee - Assistant Vice President - Business Analyst in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Assistant Vice President - Business Analyst in New York, NY

I have been working at Credit Suisse full-time (more than a year)

Pros

- supportive co-workers, internal networking groups, energetic and focused colleagues, work-life balance
    - senior management is now showing genuine interest in developing talent from within
    - excellent place to start a career

Cons

- slow, lack of structure, global project teams make it difficult to get work done sometimes

- invest in infrastructure for effective team meetings (white boards, flip charts, AV connections etc.)

7. Ready for a turnaround

Current Employee - Director in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Director in New York, NY

I have been working at Credit Suisse full-time

Pros

Good work/life balance. Don't feel like I need to monitor my work email when I go home for the day. The firm respects people's personal time.

Strong focus on clients. They really do seem to have their clients' best interests at heart, unlike other banks I've worked at that are all about revenue.

Cons

They'll spend months and months to produce huge decks that state the obvious, but then rush execution and do it on the cheap.

The bank has issues but is on the brink of a turnaround. The new CEO is held in high regard and has a history of moving quickly. I'm optimistic for the future.

Three heads of the investment bank, two heads for the private bank, three heads of technology - the current org is riddled with indecision and power struggles. Shrink the ranks, empower people to make decisions and focus on execution.

8. Mostly a pleasant environment

I worked at Credit Suisse

Pros

great pay, benefits, training, and enjoyable work

Cons

Constantly changing procedures, software, servers, building staff, outsourcing out of the United States for cheaper labor although they spent a lot of time training and investing in employees in the US and then outsource them several years later. They "overturn" things rapidly and change too frequently after investing alot in people and methods.

Change is inevitable, but changing rapidly and frequently without giving time to let things work as they are for awhile leads to wasted time, money and energies.

Stable - low risk low return!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Credit Suisse full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Work life balance. Good benefits (401k, sponsorship for higher education, generous maternity and paternity, sabbatical...). Global exposure across entire banking spectrum provides extensive learning opportunities. Internal mobility to a limited extent.

Cons

Complacency. Vertical growth very slow due to heavy management and flawed appraisal process. Pay below industry average. Low transparency and regard for good ideas due to few checks on management.

Be transparent, solicit bottom up feedback and compensate adequately for performance.

10. i really enjoyed how I was able to learn and grow while working at Credit Suisse.

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in New York, NY

I worked at Credit Suisse

Pros

Working at this company is a good opportunity to learn and grow as a individual to enhance ones skills.

Cons

It is a fast paced environment and you have to be able to meet deadlines. You have to be flexible to wear different hats to get the job done.

I strongly recommend that those hard working individuals be rewarded on merit and not be overlooked. It's one of the reasons why they leave.

Challenging work environment, great career stepping stone.

I have been working at Credit Suisse

Pros

High energy work place, some good management, good compensation

Cons

Constantly changing structure and leadership