Credit Suisse Reviews

1,515 Employee Reviews

1. Great Company

Former Employee - Junior Chief Operating Officer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Junior Chief Operating Officer in New York, NY

I worked at Credit Suisse full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Very collaborative. Great group of people. Very smart atmosphere. Challenging.

Cons

Long hours but that was welcome in exchange for big bonuses.

Advice to Management

None. Loved it there.

2. Investment Banking - Equity Capital Markets Associate

Current Employee - Equity Capital Markets Associate in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Equity Capital Markets Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at Credit Suisse full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Credit Suisse has a diverse work force, and a management team that is committed to an accepting culture. This attitude is reflected in the majority of employees, which makes it a pleasant place to work. Work life balance is not necessarily possible in Investment Banking, but Credit Suisse seems to be more sensitive to it than other firms. Junior people are not expected to work Friday nights or Saturdays, which is a dramatic shift from what it was like 5-10 years ago. Compensation is competitive, and the work experience is very good because the firm works on many of the more high profile transactions. Internal mobility is another focus for the firm, which creates many opportunities for people that want to move around and try new things

Cons

Although it's not as bad as some other banks, working in investment banking is just as grueling at Credit Suisse for the most part. Also, since it's a large company, junior people don't have as many opportunities to "see the whole picture" as resources as often assigned to specific roles and are not able to work on certain aspects of a transaction

Advice to Management

Empowering high performing junior people should be a larger priority. For instance, after 2-3 years they should have more access to junior resources of their own, rather than be expected to perform the same junior tasks year in and year out

Solid Employer - Recommended for Grads

Current Employee - Automation Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Automation Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Credit Suisse full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I joined the IT analyst program which was definitely a great career starter and provided great exposure to the company and the different businesses. The benefits are very solid and high performers have plenty of ways to get recognized with various initiatives and a cash bonus from your manager. Internal mobility is widely advertised and strongly encouraged, it's a nice win-win for everyone and I made a move one year in and as a result have no regrets. I now have a new network of colleagues and get to see things from a different perspective. International mobility is also encouraged and supported. There are a lot of internal networks and communities that a lot of employees partake in and there seems to be something for everyone, with enough support and a sponsor you can even create your own! Joining from college I was very impressed by the general level of professionalism and drive a lot of people have here. Now, I'm not one to like politics and tend to stay away from political matters. Like most large financial institutions there is going to be a fair amount of it in play the higher up the food-chain you go and Credit Suisse is no different. I will say it certainly pays to have good reputation with as many people as possible. Every year CS hosts an event recognizing individuals and groups who have contributed heavy to philanthropic efforts and every year I see employees from all ranks and departments devoting their own time to charities, outside initiatives, non-profit boards and local community projects which is really inspiring and lends an interesting contrast to the work-work-work mentality. CS gives all FTEs one full day off a year to participate in a philanthropic event or project. Depending on your manager you may be given some leeway to have flexible work hours and work from home. I take full advantage of this and spend maybe 30% in the office. It helps break the daily routine and saves time, commute costs and energy. All my managers have been very supportive of me and have been willing to defend my work and actions in front of others. They have all encouraged me to drive my own career and always seek new opportunities. They've also not tried to micro-manage me and put of a lot of trust and responsibility on me. They always made time for me if there was something urgent that needed addressing and in my opinion have been honest, no-BS type of people who I look up to.

Cons

Depending on your role you might experience a fair amount of red tape which will prolong tasks like requesting resources (servers, applications, access) and tools. IT procurement is probably one of the most painful due to the number of justifications and approvals required. Tight budgets and heavy regulations will likely have an effect on your productivity one way or another. The plus side to this is that, compared to smaller companies, accountability, ownership and responsibility is more heavily weighted here but I've been in situations where there has been finger pointing or where people didn't take responsibility for a project or consequence. Working in IT I'm exposed to what seems to be a never-ending spree of change freezes which, unless you request an exception, causes all production impacting changes to be postponed until after the freeze, major/minor releases, changes to a production server, even the smallest of changes. Along with the above CS seems to have a process for everything (if you can find out what it is). Having a relatively junior position I use my naive-ness to point out processes that are much too burdensome for small requests but a lot of time there's a lot of push-back to change the process that has been around for a long time (people also like hiding behind processes to evade extra work or to play the evasion/hot-potato game). It sometimes feels like I'm taking to a brick wall in these situations and the only way is to escalate this up but sometimes it's just not worth bothering. Being a global organization means that certain platforms and applications are only supported out of one region and sometimes you'll loose a good chunk of time due to time-zone delays (you're always asleep when they're awake and vice versa). Having the support team be in more than a single region could help but unfortunately, like in the case of Switzerland, certain operations cannot be outsourced due to regulatory or legal reasons.

Advice to Management

With the hierarchical structure I would recommend having more senior managers reach out to more guys in the trenches who are doing the majority of the hands-on work to understand how their roles could be improved. It's one thing to hear from the person's manager's manager but another to hear it directly from them. Alternatively provide a way to accept anonymous comments and suggestions.

Senior Operations Analyst

Former Employee - Senior Operations Analyst in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Operations Analyst in New York, NY

I worked at Credit Suisse full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Credit Suisse has a business casual, laid back atmosphere. A lot of the people that work there have been employees for many years.

Cons

Credit Suisse is notorious for taking care of the big players and ignoring everyone else. Unlike most investment banks, CS only pays half time to non exempt employees (as opposed to time and a half). And bonus for operations and middle office staff are below average.

Advice to Management

Most employees at the bank work pretty long hours on a daily basis and yet year in and year out, are not taken care of at the end of the year. Either hire more people to control the workflow or fully compensate the people doing the work.

6. Good training can't overcome the selfish nature of this business

Former Employee - Relationship Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Relationship Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Credit Suisse full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Strong belief in training - the firm sends its MBA private banking associates to Zurich for three weeks and then to New York for six weeks to get acclimated to the firm's culture, products, and people Stellar reputation for private banking - no one does it better than the Swiss (some tax issues, not withstanding)

Cons

No loyalty to employees - this is not new to anyone and is standard across the industry, but they unceremoniously fired the managing director in 2012 who had been there for years. No collaboration between colleagues - not only a dog-eat-dog culture but colleagues were known to attempt sabotaging peers to get better leads or clients. Private bankers don't care about incoming MBA's or relationship managers - again not unique to CS but common to all private wealth management, but there really is no incentive for any established RM's to help people

Advice to Management

Take your training program more seriously if you want to grow your own talent. Give senior bankers incentives to take on new team members. Otherwise abandon the program and spend the money on poaching teams from other companies

7. Manager

Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Credit Suisse full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits, growth opportunities, great management

Cons

Red tape can be sometimes cumbersome

8. Credit Suisse (Senior Asset Manager) Review

Former Employee - Senior Asset Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Asset Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Credit Suisse

Pros

Great work life balance High Pay Highly Intelligent and highly motivated colleague Tremendous remuneration package and benefits

Cons

only downside would be -- initially, hours are terrible. However, as you work your way to the top you will start to reap the benefits and rewards.

Advice to Management

Be nicer and kinder to the younger and more inexperienced analysts and interns etc. they're the future of the company

9. Talented people but behind US peers

Current Employee - Vice President in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Vice President in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Credit Suisse part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Quality people. Each business area has talent that is recognized and can therefore move up to management quickly. Analysts to Associate or AVP to VP to Director.

Cons

Significantly behind peers in terms of tech infrastructure. Increased regulatory pressures makes it nearly impossible to develop new business initiatives that do not cater only to the Fed, PRA, Finra....

Advice to Management

Invest in M&A and other advisory services. Current FID and securitized product focus will keep the company in regulatory crosshairs.

10. nice place

Former Employee - Vice President in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Vice President in New York, NY

I worked at Credit Suisse

Pros

nice culture and great people to work with.

Cons

didn't make money, pay was poor, lots of dead weight

11. NYC Operations

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Credit Suisse (More than 3 years)

Pros

Large Investment Banking employer in a great location in NYC. Lots of very smart, talent people. Great development program that brought in ambitious analysts.

Cons

The Operations Department had numerous leadership changes, outsourcing and layoffs which greatly diminished employee morale. Cost cutting should focus on continuous process improvement instead of mass movement of people.

Advice to Management

You need to share the vision of NYC Operations in the near future so that employees can coordinate their career ambitions with your vision. Honestly truly is the best policy.

Showing 1,515 of 1,706 reviews