Credit Suisse

3.5
1,397 Reviews

Credit Suisse CEO, Credit Suisse Group and Credit Suisse Brady W. Dougan
Brady W. Dougan

Pros
  • It provides excellent work life balance for personal development in the spare time (in 161 reviews)

• There may be opportunities to work in other countries through internal mobility for those interested (in 62 reviews)

Cons
  • Management was inflexible to find ways that analysts could find work / life balance (in 81 reviews)

• long hours, which made it difficult to maintain a work-life balance (in 64 reviews)

More Highlights

Excellent work environment, talented colleagues

Current Employee - Network Support and Security Analyst in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Network Support and Security Analyst in New York, NY

I have been working at Credit Suisse as a contractor (more than 5 years)

Pros

Innovative and cutting edge technology solutions

Cons

Company could provide more balance between work and personal life

great job

I enjoy working at Credit Suisse. DEspite being a bulge bracket, its culture is pretty dynamic and cool.

I have been working at Credit Suisse

Pros

I like my daily job and the people I work with: cool, smart and ambitious.

Cons

I wish to have more leeway and more direct access to directors.

Encourage ideas from juniors.

Mindless work, Depressing atmosphere

Former Employee - Analyst in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Analyst in New York, NY

I worked at Credit Suisse full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Employee perks were decent, but probably still worse than their competitor's.
    - Very inspirational head of talent (google Pamela Thomas-Graham).
    - If you like cubicles: the cubicles here are spacious

Cons

- The work is not challenging at all. If you are not looking to stay in the finance industry all your life, then plan to leave as soon as you can. Regardless of your department (even tech included), the soft (emphasis: SOFT) skills you build here will have no relevance to any other position in any other company. Plan on staying here if your dream is to make excel spreadsheets for the rest of your life. The tasks you do here become so specific to one subfunction of one old proprietary computer system that this will actually hurt any future career endeavors. Try explaining what you do here as something to impress future job interviewers (hint: sometimes I felt like my Credit Suisse entry in my resume made it look even worse than if it wasn't there at all).

- The environment was absolutely sad. Yes there were some kind, good-humored colleagues, but everyone - and even they - were very explicitly dissatisfied with or indifferent to their jobs. No one liked coming to work. People only came to work to count down days till the weekend.

- Everything regarding professional development and mentorship felt extremely shallow. Goal setting and performance reviews were largely made out of interrelationship fluff and emphasis on commanding menial tasks.

- Regarding just the micro-perks of an office space - I think most corporations will give you SOMETHING free to bring up your daily mood, right? AT LEAST coffee, right? Nope, good luck finding that here. All you get is free water and sugar packets.

Be more approachable and accessible to your employees. Your physical and figurative distance really reinforces the borders of the power hierarchy and any sense of positive morale/feeling of self-worth among your employees.

Unhealthy work environment.

Former Employee - Operations Analyst in Research Triangle Park, NC
    Former Employee - Operations Analyst in Research Triangle Park, NC

I worked at Credit Suisse full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Practically None. Unless you are homeless or starving and are desperate for a paycheck, please avoid this company. It offers nothing but grief.

Cons

Management takes a very combative stance towards it employees. Managers often yell and snap at subordinates with no consequences as HR rubber stamps everything that they do. Further they are also able to pass the blame to their subordinates for anything that goes wrong and there is no opportunity for workers to refute their claims as HR just turns a blind eye. Also, no one really seems to know whats going on as there is a fair amount of turnover and restructuring and the information systems are a mess as management cuts corners with everything.

Listen to your employees. They are on the front line and know what needs improving. Provide more opportunities for training. Be willing to consider suggestions that are out of the box. Finally, hold managers accountable, there should be at least some minimum standards of conduct and employees should have channels to report inappropriate behavior.

Do not expect a long career at this company

Current Employee - Accounting and Finance in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Accounting and Finance in New York, NY

I have been working at Credit Suisse full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Convenient location with an accommodating work schedule.

Cons

To much focus on cost efficiency leading too many layoffs. Do not expect a long term career at this company. They are constantly reorganizing with an emphasis on deploying jobs to low cost locations. Bonuses are much lower than other banks of its caliber. Their main driver is to stay competitive with the least headcount.

Terrible place to work for IT

Current Employee - Technical Coordinator in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Technical Coordinator in New York, NY

I have been working at Credit Suisse as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Employmer will allow individuals to work from home and will give compensatory days for work done over the weekend.

Cons

Cutting costs is the highest priority in this place with regards to IT. They will contract work to the lowest bidder anywhere in the world and full timers are left with the mess outsourced employees create.

Long hours, low morale, generally toxic culture

Former Employee - Investment Banking Analyst in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Investment Banking Analyst in New York, NY

I worked at Credit Suisse full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Well respected investment bank, decent exit options

Cons

Morale was at particularly low point for investment banking during my time. Work was increasing due to lack of staff and layoffs, and pay was decreasing so needless to say it was a toxic culture at the time.

Replace COO's in investment banking divisions with senior bankers. Completely worthless position which adds basically a layer of bureaucracy, essentially glorified HR who never did anything to improve culture, lifestyle, poor performing personal etc.

Great company overall

I have been working at Credit Suisse

Pros

Great people to work with

Cons

Could take diversity more seriously

Better communication

Stay away from IT in the AMRS region at least in the equity derivatives space.

Former Employee - Derivatives IT in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Derivatives IT in New York, NY

I worked at Credit Suisse full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Location and having the name of a "big" bank on your resume.

Cons

1) I was hired after the crash in 2008 after mass layoffs at another firm. They gave me a lowball offer that I unfortunately had to take - not a great way to start building trust.

2) All the decisions for this company are made in other regions. Equity derivatives IT was a bare-bones operation in AMRS. The management decisions were made in London and nearly ALL of the development and tech talent was in Singapore. Every ounce of knowledge I needed to learn was offshore and specifically in Singapore. I consider myself a fairly motivated person driven to succeed but you can't build a good initial knowledge base of the systems you need to work on if the only folks you have to talk to are in the complete opposite time zone and too busy to teach you which leads me to my next point.

3) The folks in Singapore(mostly from India) were worked like they were at a Foxconn factory and we in AMRS were expected to compete with that. This essentially means no upward mobility if you want any kind of a life.

4) The lower level managers are pretty weak and transparent in their efforts to pull results out of people and teams. I wouldn't consider any of them good leaders or even good mentors. Managers are afraid of upper management and just whip folks below them. Part of this is company culture but years later being in that position myself I either mentor and look after my folks properly or it's time to leave.

5) Insane amount of bureaucracy but this is typical of a Swiss bank - you wouldn't see this at other investment banks at that time.

6) Insanely cheap; penny wise and dollar foolish - management couldn't wait to get their hands on the next up and coming tech-region where folks were even more desperately looking for work. This year Singapore, next year close down that hub and head over to Malaysia or somewhere else all the while killing continuity in your development projects and team growth. It's not like they were paying the folks in Singapore anything good either compared to a salary in the EMEA or AMRS region. Beyond that, offshoring everything and providing everyone an awful service just to save a buck just gets annoying to all but upper-management. You're constantly trying to sync up with folks in other regions and more time is spend doing that than actually getting anything done.

Years later I have learned that offshoring can be utilized but there are limits. Follow-the-sun models and regional dependencies look great on paper but in reality they are much tougher to execute properly for the folks actually doing it. You'll wind up with a high turnover rate.

7) No free coffee - this seems small and petty but it raises an important point. If a company is too cheap to offer free coffee at the bare minimum you do NOT want to work for them. This is the cheapest and simplest daily "thank-you" lifestyle accommodation a company can make for their employees.

I'm sure there are folks who are very happy in this company but they are at least at the director level where they can stay above the churning of the masses. Don't be dazzled by big banks for IT; you will not get ahead there. Unless you're coming in at a high level use the short time you have there to learn how they do things and how not to do things.

Who am I kidding, they wouldn't listen to someone who had this low-life position.

Good to start, but move on. Could be deceptive...what's marketed internally seldom materializes...need better managers

Current Employee - Technical Associate in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Technical Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at Credit Suisse full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Demanding environment but could gain good experience. Benefits competitive.

Cons

Demanding, seems to be always looking for a cheaper alternative ...outsourcing.

Hire quality managers.