Credo Mobile

Updated December 24, 2014
Updated December 24, 2014
3.1

MICHAEL KIESCHNICK

Great company! Allows you to improve social and political causes while you work in a corporate role.

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Credo Mobile full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Company mission, team, collaboration, stable organization and company leadership.

Cons

Smaller organization so it continues to feel like a start up in many ways although the company has been around for a long time.

Great company, cool employees

I have been working at Credo Mobile

Pros

Great company, cool employee's, good pay and good benefits, opportunities to grow and learn. Very friendly environment with helpful people.

Cons

Management doesn't know what their staff is doing. Some people work really really really hard and some people do absolutely nothing.

Great company, but limited upward mobility

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Credo Mobile full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, awesome coworkers, and interaction with the CEO, CFO etc...

Cons

Lower pay scale, limited upward mobility within the company.

Don't stay too long.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Credo Mobile full-time (more than a year)

Pros

CREDO definitely supplies a wide range of projects and experience you can gain. Most of the teams are kept very lean in terms of staff, so many members have to multitask. This can be seen as a pro or a con (just depends on how you want to approach it).

On the surface, there's a sense of camaraderie and pleasantness within the office.

There are a lot of great people at the company.

As an employee, you always have the assurance that your company donates to causes you believe in.

If you want to become politically active, it's greatly facilitated by CREDO.

Overall, a nice culture to be a part of.

There are bagel fridays, a very nice gym in the building, and a prime location for commuters since the building sits right about the Embarcadero BART station.

Cons

A lot of managers need management training, and some managers shouldn't be managing at all.

There seems to be favoritism within the company, to the point of negatively costing the company (high turn over rate in some divisions).

Really odds choices have been made by senior management.

Sometimes seems like things were poorly thought through with projects and if people object or question them, there will probably be repercussions.

Honestly feels like a a culture of fear is the company's undercurrent.

There isn't enough recognition towards employees.

A serious lack of positive feedback.

Please perform proper management training.

Please read and consider annual review feedback and exit interview feedback.

Please begin fostering a culture of recognition and reward instead of one of favoritism, fear and intimidation.

Pros and Cons

I have been working at Credo Mobile

Pros

Respect for the individual, balance atmosphere of both men and women, company works for the rights of others as part of their business model

Cons

A few bad apples on spread out on different teams. Full time employees work a lot less than contract workers. Some managers and their associated projects are disorganized causing stress among team members.

Plan out projects properly with proper requirements.

great people, fun company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Credo Mobile full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

fast paced, liked the people and my time there

Cons

sometimes disorganized. things change fast, have to be able to keep up.

none

Fought for great progressive issues.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Credo Mobile full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Fights for progressive causes and employees are passionate and always willing to chip in to help.
    The entire company follows realistic and achievable goals.
    Ability to change decision-making if new information shows better options.
    Lots of additional benefits for employees.

Cons

Micro-management throughout the company that could slow down projects.
    Some expertise were lacking for employees to perform their job successfully.

A great place for those who enjoy a challenge and meeting it

I have been working at Credo Mobile

Pros

I'm nearer to the end of my career than the beginning and I've worked in a lot of different places. If you have an idea, most employers look upon you as a trouble maker. Here at CREDO, contributions are encouraged and seriously considered.

It's a challenging environment - you are expected to be smart and do your best work always. You're encouraged to move outside your comfort zone to learn new things.

This is the perfect environment for me - I'm not boxed in, I'm taken seriously, I've been generously rewarded and treated with respect.

It's not a place for slackers. if you're looking for an easy job, it's not the place for you. If you are looking for challenges and the rewards that come with them, plus stellar benefits, a progressive political environment and a lot of smart people, it's a great place!

Cons

Work/life balance is not what it could be, but that's as much on you as it is on the company. As someone who left here said, "I can't say no, and they take advantage of that." Well, whose fault is that? Adults only need apply!

disappointing mix of founders' syndrome, inexperienced management and disrespectful culture

I worked at Credo Mobile

Pros

--Excellent business idea, and an earnest commitment to liberal causes.
    --A sense that the work you're doing is making a difference, though that feeling diminished significantly when I understood how out-of-the-mainstream the company is in terms of political extremism, customer profile and brand recognition.
    --Excellent benefits

Cons

My biggest lesson working here: if passion and indignation are what brings many of a company's workers to their desks every day, then a range of behavior becomes acceptable. Many of the people I worked with--and many of the ex-employees--had complicated emotional relationships to the workplace. They were insecure, or angry, or resentful, or desperate for approval, or anxious because they didn't have clear direction. Not many simply came to work, did quality work in jobs they found rewarding, and went home.

It was like a big 80+ person dysfunctional family. I've never seen anything like it. Over time I realized that much of the dysfunction stemmed from the two founders.

The company is run by a pair of 55+ founders who grew up in a world of Vietnam protest marches, direct mail, long distance phone service, and 1970s adversarial lefty righteousness. They're both bright, and both deeply controlling and insecure. Normally I would never comment on this in a workplace review, but it's impossible to ignore the imprint their issues create on the company.

Over the years I worked there, I saw multiple energetic talented people come and go. The pattern was almost always the same: they were brought in on mandates to change, which involved some risk. The founders ultimately had no appetite for risk-taking, and set about discrediting the ideas and eventually the new hires themselves. The hires left--typically in less than two years--and the founder team reassured everyone that things just didn't work out.

But behind the scenes were depressing stories of ego battles, demoralized hires, and extensive (often highly personal) criticism. Add to this: full-blown founders' syndrome. When the company switched from long distance as their main product to wireless, they should have brought in middle and senior management with wireless experience. Instead the founders insisted (maybe to this day) that they understand that business. The aging exec team has, in general, far too little expertise in things like social media, use of technology, mobile apps...almost anything which came on the scene in the last 8 years or so.

In summary, between the bizarre emotional climate, outdated systems and thinking, and the unfortunate egos in the founders, I would not recommend working here.

Please, step aside. Hire a smart, progressive CEO twenty years younger than you, with wireless background, and a real aptitude for technology. Or sell the company, and do something meaningful with the money you earn. You are making good people miserable and disillusioned.

"Green" mobile company

I worked at Credo Mobile

Pros

- Open work environment
    - Flexible work hours
    - Helpful and understanding peers
    - Information is disseminated equally through the company
    - Managment is fair, open to suggestions, open door policy
    - Knowledge sharing amonst team encouraged

Cons

- Environment can be too casual at times
    - Some projects not challenging enough, and did not seem to be beneficial in the long run compared to the effort put into the project

Focus more on the vendor relationship management and follow up. Management should ensure that vendors should take more responsibility for deliverables.