Cree

Cree Reviews

Updated Jul 27, 2014

Cree Chairman, President, and CEO Chuck Swoboda

Chuck Swoboda

Pros
  • Good opportunity to make decent cash on stock options sometimes (in 6 reviews)

• Fast paced and constantly changing processes (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • There's really bad work/life balance and then there's Cree (in 16 reviews)

• No Work/Life Balance, No Career Development, Poor Managers & Senior Leaders, No Team Work or Collaboration (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

its okay

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) Durham, NC

Prosstrong outlook for the company to grow

Conspoor working conditions for factory employees

Good company. LIttle opportunity for advancement...

ProsPay is good and the onsite fitness center (free to employees, spouse and children over 16) is a great benefit. The dress is casual and the product is at the bleeding edge for it's industry...

ConsAnnual raises are insulting and there is little opportunity for advancement...

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn to value the talent you have within the company or you will continue to lose them...

Non Engineers are not seen as important or beneficial to Cree's success.

Planner/Scheduler (Current Employee) Durham, NC

ProsAbove average pay.
    Great gym on site.
    Good benefits.
    Company does a summer picnic (free beer and wine and lots of food trucks) and winter party (black tie event and two alcohol tickets).

ConsLong hours.
    Work seven days a week and all holidays.
    Have to work China's hours as much as possible and only get a break during February for Chinese New Year.
    Since I only have a Bachelor's degree and not in Engineering I am considered disposable.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop being managers and start acting like leaders. Too many talented people leave Cree every week due to your ignorance and lack of foresight.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Process Technician

Process Technician II (Current Employee) Durham, NC

ProsUnlimited overtime available and adequate microsoft and JMP software training chooses. On-site gym offers a great opportunity to stay in shape. Outstanding technology as well.

ConsWell, because of the excessive overtime and strict binding schedule its impossible to take advantage of the gym. Management is horrible to put it lightly. Most personnel in management are engineers without management experience and are basically forced to manage and continue engineering tasks. Cree cares nothing of your personnel or family life. Working 60-70 hours a week is the norm for operations and engineering. Cree has the resources to be one of the premiere technology companies in the country but bad practices, poor management, and inadequate training is preventing them from advancing to that status. The yearly Holidays Party is a great event but is basically an event organized for upper management and salaried employees. Operations are still required to work the regular shift or take PTO. Overall Cree basically provides a stable check but make sure you get a nice pay rate coming in the door because raises are honestly horrible and promotions are non-existent.

Advice to Senior ManagementHonestly you can offer all the advice in the world to management but things will not change. Cree makes it obvious that you can be replaced and treats it's employees with little dignity and no respect.

But here is some advice, change your tactics before another technology company comes to the RTP are and your employees abandons ship. Most already have one foot out the door.

Cree: it's a job

ProsReasons to work there? Casual clothing. You won't be distracted by current technology, it's all manual, all the time!

ConsNonstop new projects and deadlines. It is relentless, grinding, and exhausting.

Advice to Senior ManagementAsk yourself: why would someone want to work here?

Cree

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsBase Compensation competitive, bonus program paid very little while I was there

ConsBenefits reduced in 2014 with higher costs

Cree, a good company that doesn't understand work/life balance

IS Senior Programmer/Analyst (Former Employee) Durham, NC

ProsThe retention rate is good. Never a dull day. The work week flies.

ConsLong hours are expected. Communication is poor. Politics as usual.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is life outside of work.

Horrible place to work.

Semiconductor Production Worker IV (Current Employee) Durham, NC

ProsNo work life balance. Always work, work, work. New goals always going up.... numbers....numbers

ConsManagement WILL mislead you and you will end up getting fired. They will tell you they don't know what's happen when they know first hand what going on!!!

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't look forward to any raise unless you are telling on others, working a lot of OT, you have to make your money yourself

Equipment engineer technician of 14 years

ProsCree is a company with a broad vision of what we have to offer world wide. What we have to offer is the best in the LED market their is to come. We strive to make what we have even better as time passes on. Cree is a growing company and will continue to grow. The growth of Cree will reach out to homes providing income where families will be able to send their kids off to college and provide position for college graduate after crossing the stage. It is no question, you will stay busy but that come along with growth. I like what we are doing and our goal is to be the best at what we do and nothing less. We hope to continue to serve and make a positive impact where ever we go.

ConsBetter Communication is needed from every one which mean from both direction. Give back to the employees what been taken. Back off with the micro manage. We are adults. Allow Cree to be a career work place and not a driven work camp. Listen to your people and take action when needed.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy advice to management from the Ceo down would be. Remember that with any company, the people is and are the company. Without the people the company do not exists. Take time and visit each area and let your people know that you're glad to have them on board. No one job is more important than the other. It takes each of us to make what we do in being the best at the end of the day. Lets change by letting each of us know it us great to have you here rather than be glad your here.

Innovative with great technology moving the world toward a brighter future.

Research Tech (Current Employee)

ProsJob security and cutting edge technology

ConsTo much OT! Currently working double mandatory overtime. Some welcome some don't.

Worked for Cree? Contribute to the Community!