Cree

Cree Reviews

Updated Apr 10, 2014

Cree Chairman, President, and CEO Chuck Swoboda

Chuck Swoboda

Pros:
  • "Good opportunity to make decent cash on stock options sometimes"
    in 6 reviews
  • "Fast paced and constantly changing processes"
    in 5 reviews
Cons:
  • "There's really bad work/life balance and then there's Cree"
    in 16 reviews
  • "No Work/Life Balance, No Career Development, Poor Managers & Senior Leaders, No Team Work or Collaboration"
    in 6 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Fast pace work environment

Semiconductor Manufacturing Technician IV (Current Employee)

I have been working at Cree full-time for more than 8 years

Prospay and flexible schedule
rapid growth if you are able to dedicate a lot of hours

Consno work life balance at all
micromanagement of employees decreases productivity

Advice to Senior Managementmicromanage less and lead more

The dedication and teamwork by operators surpasses all but greed and indifference by upper management is its downfall.

Production Operator (Current Employee)

I have been working at Cree full-time for more than 5 years

ProsWorking at Cree is guaranteed income that will pay your bills. Working certain areas you can easily make 40,000 a year due to the massive amounts of overtime you are required to work.

ConsCree has no sympathy and nor consideration for their workers no matter the situation.
- Overtime schedules can be preset for the entire year.
-The majority lower class workers receive $125 for their quarter bonus after taxes
- Cree operates on a occurance point system for temp and full time employees after you receive the max number of points you are terminated. (ex. sick 1pt., late 1/2 pt., bereavement 1 pt., inclement weather 1pt.. family emergency 1pt.
-They have the tendency to hire outside rather than promote from within.
- The facility is going smoke free this Spring 2014.
- It takes an average of 6 years to convert from night shift to day shift in some areas.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo research on the top ten companies of America and adopt their ethical standards and practices.

great

I have been working at Cree full-time for more than 10 years

Prosthe best people within a team in lower levels, actually making the products that includes
, operators, technicians and engineers.

Consmanagment at all levels, starting with supervisors, which are actually not really managers

Advice to Senior Managementwell, smart people -they seem not be able to figure it out!

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A job

I worked at Cree full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThe benefits were somewhat good, they were really good when I started in 1999, advanced fairly well but that was only because of my manager at the time.

ConsIt's a hard place to work you either make it or you don't. Not all personalities will succeed at Cree. It's Cree first & the rest of your life 3'rd or 4'trh on the list.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't forget about the sacrifices of the many that helped put the company were it is today

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

It's not your company.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Cree full-time for more than a year

ProsSome of the best reasons to work at Cree consist of interesting technology that may give you the opportunity to feel worthwhile.

ConsPoor pay, ungrateful leadership, classic abuse of H1B program, culture of disrespect, expectations of culture/compensation improvements in the future are never met. You are a throw away to be never advanced until you quit and are replaced with the next desperate young preferably visa dependent soul.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake it all with you.

I have been working at Cree

ProsPlenty of opportunity for over-time. Benefits are pretty good. There is a very diversified work force. You are almost certain to work with people from a variety of other companies.

ConsWhere to start. The policies that Cree has were set in place to "protect" the employee. It's more like there are loads of policies set in place to give you absolutely no freedom. Cree seems to be about keeping their employees on a short leash. They give you an occurrence for any time you are late, call-out without 24 hour notice, etc. I called out one day because of inclement weather. I couldn't get out of my driveway due to snow and ice. A state of emergency was declared yet Cree not only stayed open, they stated that you should be at work within 6 hours of your scheduled start time or get an occurrence. I live an hour away! A engineer there who lives 10 minutes away took 2 hours to get in. In short, they are micro-managing as hell. If you have no life, no family, no hobbies, and have no desire to do anything other than work, Cree is the place for you. One of the Pros I listed was a opportunity for over-time. While this is true they often make it mandatory and upper management is completely oblivious as to what is going on on the floor. They usually start mandatory over-time too late and never end it when they should. There are people in all the time for over-time and there is literally NOTHING to do! It was like that for the last two weeks I have worked and I haven't heard any rumors of it stopping any time soon. Maybe I'm being a bit dramatic but Cree really seems like they try to control their employees. Unless you are really in need of a job, look else where.

I was told this company was good to work for.

I worked at Cree

Prosthe insurance and benefits are good

Consvery bad management, very dirty production area, not organized, no annual raises on performance

Advice to Senior Managementneed to respect their employees

Used to be a great place to work

Product Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Cree full-time for more than 8 years

ProsBack in 1999, when it was still considered a startup, it was a great place to work. It used to have great benefits, it used to have a good bonus program, it used to have a lot of things until Chuck took over.

ConsRead what about 90% of comments here have said. There's really bad work/life balance and then there's Cree. Even in 1999, there was no balance but at least an attempt at compensation was made. Cree has maintained the work expectations of a startup company while evolving their pay/benefits schedule to that of a big company. If you want no life outside of work, come on board!

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn how to share and learn how to say those two simple magic words - thank you. Share your successes. Hard as it is for Chuck and the rest to admit, you're not the entire reason for business successes and everybody else isn't the reason for failure. The only time Chuck would give me the time of day was the few times my business segment had some struggles. When things were going well, a simple "thanks" or "nice job" or "way to go" apparently took too much effort.

Cree is the most wonderful company I ever worked for.

Engineer (Current Employee)
Durham, NC

I have been working at Cree full-time for more than a year

ProsWorking at Cree is so awesome. I don't have to deal with a pesky family of social life because I'm at Cree for 80 hours a week. That also saves me money on utility bills because I'm never home. I haven't spent any money going out to bars because I don't have time. And I'm not divorced because Cree hasn't gave me the time to meet anyone outside work for 2 years. I would recommend this company to anyone for those reasons. Cree basically takes all the troubles of life away from you.

ConsI have to go home at the end of the day. Making LEDs is so amazing that I don't want to sleep I just want to make LEDs.

Advice to Senior ManagementSome employees lose between 10 minutes and 1 hour of productivity every day by driving to and from work. I would recommend setting up beds in the offices so employees don't have to waste time commuting. Think of how much more productive we could be!

Great Company

Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Cree full-time for more than 3 years

ProsInnovation, Product Quality, Growing Market

ConsCompany run by engineers, limited direction from senior management

Worked for Cree? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Cree reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Cree CEO Chuck Swoboda. All 80 reviews posted anonymously by Cree employees.