Cree

Cree Reviews

Updated Jul 27, 2014

Cree Chairman, President, and CEO Chuck Swoboda

Chuck Swoboda

Pros
  • Good opportunity to make decent cash on stock options sometimes (in 6 reviews)

• Fast paced and constantly changing processes (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • There's really bad work/life balance and then there's Cree (in 16 reviews)

• No Work/Life Balance, No Career Development, Poor Managers & Senior Leaders, No Team Work or Collaboration (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Cree has it going on....

Equipment Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) Durham, NC

ProsEverything is great. All employees are treated with respect and are rewarded with spot awards and are recognized for doing a good job, even if they are just doing their job. 12 hour shifts on a two three two schedule for days, and nights are front end and back end. It was a great schedule. Pay is great compared to others in the industry. The benefits are awesome and are the cheapest I have ever had. BCBS of NC health and dental, quarterly bonuses, and annual bonuses

ConsI have no complaints about Cree, I just left and wish I could go back already.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up, this company is going to go far...

Borderline

ProsCutting edge, not boring or dull. The few leaders that are any good, are really great people.

ConsNo work, family balance. Short-sighted. Not as "smart" and they think. Very few leaders are any good.

Advice to Senior ManagementReally live the company values, which are not. Politics will be crushed? I don't think so. Also, hold upper folks to the same standards as the techs. Some of those upper folks are "allowed" to act and do under different standards that the lower folks and not perform, why?

Positive experience working at Cree

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Durham, NC

ProsWork life balance is easy as most shifts are 10-12 hours so your 40 hrs a week come quickly.
    Holidays & PTO are generous.
    Health ins. policy is better than what a lot of other employers offer.
    Hard work and dedication are acknowledged.

ConsCree is a 24 hour facility, meaning that you will have to work nights, weekends and holidays if not all the time, at least sometimes.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I enjoyed working with CREE to reach out to minority owned companies in the North Carolina market.

MArketing Sales Representative for Capital Broadcasting (Former Employee) Durham, NC

ProsThis is a great company to work with and for.

ConsI only wish I could have work for them as a full time employee with their Supplier Diversity initiative.

Awful.

Scientist (Current Employee) Durham, NC

ProsHuge disparity between departments. Some departments work a strict 9-5 schedule and are empty by 5:01. Others work 7am-10pm 6 days a week. That is not an exaggeration.

ConsIf you're working in any department related to LED R&D or LED Operations, expect average pay for absurdly long hours. Cree isn't the only company in the semiconductor industry to expect those kinds of hours, but most other companies try to at least make their work environment tolerable if not pleasant. At Cree, you can expect a high stress, "management by screaming" environment. Don't plan on getting any of your PTO approved either. My manager denied every single one of my requests without comment for my first 2 years at Cree.

A lot of people are so beaten down that they're just trying to get through the day without getting screamed at or insulted by management. Don't think you can start off in a less desirable department and make a lateral move later in your career. In my 5 years at Cree, I've seen dozens of employees try this. All but one was blocked by upper management.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone.

A waste of my time away from my family!!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Racine, WI

ProsI cant say anything good about this place!!

ConsInexperienced management, no flexibility, bonuses suck, mandatory overtime, horrible point system, and the pay sucks for as much responsibility and knowledge of things you need to make it there. If you are single with no kids and love to work yourself to death this is the place for you to go. If you have a family, stay away because these people dont care about you or your life outside of their doors! Sexual harassment is off the charts at Cree and surely dont report it because you will find yourself fired in a heart beat. This company was the biggest waste of my time!!

Advice to Senior ManagementManangement? What a joke!! Just keep doing what you do!!, at ths pace you wont have a job for long!!

Above average High Tech, fast paced company in RTP area

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Durham, NC

ProsNever slows down. Great pace of work - you can never got bored here, except Lighting and Power & RF which apparently work on a slower schedule.

ConsCompany is struggling to keep bureaucracy to a minimum. Some groups have been more successful at this than others.

Very unorganized organization with little training!

ProsPay is good for the work done on the lines. Most people are friendly and easy to get along with.

ConsNobody is trained correctly for the position they are in. And whenever this is brought up in conversation with management, it's looked over!! Sad for a good employer!

The dedication and teamwork by operators surpasses all but greed and indifference by upper management is its downfall.

Production Operator (Current Employee) Durham, NC

ProsWorking at Cree is guaranteed income that will pay your bills. Working certain areas you can easily make 40,000 a year due to the massive amounts of overtime you are required to work.

ConsCree has no sympathy and nor consideration for their workers no matter the situation.
    - Overtime schedules can be preset for the entire year.
    -The majority lower class workers receive $125 for their quarter bonus after taxes
    - Cree operates on a occurance point system for temp and full time employees after you receive the max number of points you are terminated. (ex. sick 1pt., late 1/2 pt., bereavement 1 pt., inclement weather 1pt.. family emergency 1pt.
    -They have the tendency to hire outside rather than promote from within.
    - The facility is going smoke free this Spring 2014.
    - It takes an average of 6 years to convert from night shift to day shift in some areas.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo research on the top ten companies of America and adopt their ethical standards and practices.

Cree is the most wonderful company I ever worked for.

Engineer (Current Employee) Durham, NC

ProsWorking at Cree is so awesome. I don't have to deal with a pesky family of social life because I'm at Cree for 80 hours a week. That also saves me money on utility bills because I'm never home. I haven't spent any money going out to bars because I don't have time. And I'm not divorced because Cree hasn't gave me the time to meet anyone outside work for 2 years. I would recommend this company to anyone for those reasons. Cree basically takes all the troubles of life away from you.

ConsI have to go home at the end of the day. Making LEDs is so amazing that I don't want to sleep I just want to make LEDs.

Advice to Senior ManagementSome employees lose between 10 minutes and 1 hour of productivity every day by driving to and from work. I would recommend setting up beds in the offices so employees don't have to waste time commuting. Think of how much more productive we could be!

Worked for Cree? Contribute to the Community!