www.cree.com

Updated December 21, 2014
2.5

Cree Chairman, President, and CEO Chuck Swoboda
Chuck Swoboda

Pros
  • Excellent and competitive benefits, including ESPP and stock options (in 7 reviews)

• Good benefits ,3 weeks vacation to start, 401K, really good health insurance plans (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • There's really bad work/life balance and then there's Cree (in 17 reviews)

• No Work/Life Balance, No Career Development, Poor Managers & Senior Leaders, No Team Work or Collaboration (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Was a good company, wrong management now

Current Employee - Optical Applications Engineer in Durham, NC
    Current Employee - Optical Applications Engineer in Durham, NC

I have been working at Cree full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The people that work on the floor make it a great place, they are the backbone of the company

Cons

Trying to get ahead, there is no clear path to move up and when asked about it they give you the run around, I guess that comes from all product is made in China and the do not pay or treat those people well.

Get a real life, clean up the brown nosing HR people, Start making your product here instead of China and quit reengineering other peoples product and putting your name on it.

Non Engineers are not seen as important or beneficial to Cree's success.

Current Employee - Planner/Scheduler in Durham, NC
    Current Employee - Planner/Scheduler in Durham, NC

I have been working at Cree full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Above average pay.
    Great gym on site.
    Good benefits.
    Company does a summer picnic (free beer and wine and lots of food trucks) and winter party (black tie event and two alcohol tickets).

Cons

Long hours.
    Work seven days a week and all holidays.
    Have to work China's hours as much as possible and only get a break during February for Chinese New Year.
    Since I only have a Bachelor's degree and not in Engineering I am considered disposable.

Stop being managers and start acting like leaders. Too many talented people leave Cree every week due to your ignorance and lack of foresight.

Process Technician

Current Employee - Process Technician II in Durham, NC
    Current Employee - Process Technician II in Durham, NC

I have been working at Cree full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Unlimited overtime available and adequate microsoft and JMP software training chooses. On-site gym offers a great opportunity to stay in shape. Outstanding technology as well.

Cons

Well, because of the excessive overtime and strict binding schedule its impossible to take advantage of the gym. Management is horrible to put it lightly. Most personnel in management are engineers without management experience and are basically forced to manage and continue engineering tasks. Cree cares nothing of your personnel or family life. Working 60-70 hours a week is the norm for operations and engineering. Cree has the resources to be one of the premiere technology companies in the country but bad practices, poor management, and inadequate training is preventing them from advancing to that status. The yearly Holidays Party is a great event but is basically an event organized for upper management and salaried employees. Operations are still required to work the regular shift or take PTO. Overall Cree basically provides a stable check but make sure you get a nice pay rate coming in the door because raises are honestly horrible and promotions are non-existent.

Honestly you can offer all the advice in the world to management but things will not change. Cree makes it obvious that you can be replaced and treats it's employees with little dignity and no respect.

But here is some advice, change your tactics before another technology company comes to the RTP are and your employees abandons ship. Most already have one foot out the door.

Cree: it's a job

I have been working at Cree full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Reasons to work there? Casual clothing. You won't be distracted by current technology, it's all manual, all the time!

Cons

Nonstop new projects and deadlines. It is relentless, grinding, and exhausting.

Ask yourself: why would someone want to work here?

I worked at Cree full-time

Pros

Base Compensation competitive, bonus program paid very little while I was there

Cons

Benefits reduced in 2014 with higher costs

Cree, a good company that doesn't understand work/life balance

Former Employee - IS Senior Programmer/Analyst in Durham, NC
    Former Employee - IS Senior Programmer/Analyst in Durham, NC

I worked at Cree full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The retention rate is good. Never a dull day. The work week flies.

Cons

Long hours are expected. Communication is poor. Politics as usual.

There is life outside of work.

Horrible place to work.

Current Employee - Semiconductor Production Worker IV in Durham, NC
    Current Employee - Semiconductor Production Worker IV in Durham, NC

I have been working at Cree full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

No work life balance. Always work, work, work. New goals always going up.... numbers....numbers

Cons

Management WILL mislead you and you will end up getting fired. They will tell you they don't know what's happen when they know first hand what going on!!!

Don't look forward to any raise unless you are telling on others, working a lot of OT, you have to make your money yourself

Equipment engineer technician of 14 years

I have been working at Cree

Pros

Cree is a company with a broad vision of what we have to offer world wide. What we have to offer is the best in the LED market their is to come. We strive to make what we have even better as time passes on. Cree is a growing company and will continue to grow. The growth of Cree will reach out to homes providing income where families will be able to send their kids off to college and provide position for college graduate after crossing the stage. It is no question, you will stay busy but that come along with growth. I like what we are doing and our goal is to be the best at what we do and nothing less. We hope to continue to serve and make a positive impact where ever we go.

Cons

Better Communication is needed from every one which mean from both direction. Give back to the employees what been taken. Back off with the micro manage. We are adults. Allow Cree to be a career work place and not a driven work camp. Listen to your people and take action when needed.

My advice to management from the Ceo down would be. Remember that with any company, the people is and are the company. Without the people the company do not exists. Take time and visit each area and let your people know that you're glad to have them on board. No one job is more important than the other. It takes each of us to make what we do in being the best at the end of the day. Lets change by letting each of us know it us great to have you here rather than be glad your here.

Innovative with great technology moving the world toward a brighter future.

Current Employee - Research Tech
    Current Employee - Research Tech

I have been working at Cree

Pros

Job security and cutting edge technology

Cons

To much OT! Currently working double mandatory overtime. Some welcome some don't.

Cree has it going on....

Former Employee - Equipment Maintenance Technician in Durham, NC
    Former Employee - Equipment Maintenance Technician in Durham, NC

I worked at Cree full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Everything is great. All employees are treated with respect and are rewarded with spot awards and are recognized for doing a good job, even if they are just doing their job. 12 hour shifts on a two three two schedule for days, and nights are front end and back end. It was a great schedule. Pay is great compared to others in the industry. The benefits are awesome and are the cheapest I have ever had. BCBS of NC health and dental, quarterly bonuses, and annual bonuses

Cons

I have no complaints about Cree, I just left and wish I could go back already.

Keep it up, this company is going to go far...

Cree Photos