Creighton University

Be The First To
Add Photos

Creighton University President Rev John P. Schlegel

Rev John P. Schlegel

A crapshoot with respect to satisfaction; not up to image

(Former Employee)
    Omaha, NE

ProsBeing a part of a university that gives a great education to students
    Interaction with students is usually positive
    Beautiful physical environment, i.e., campus
    Opportunities to advance one's own education
    Free tuition for sons & daughters of CU employees
    When your supervisor and coworkers have good people skills, working there is great

ConsThe oft-used phrase "Creighton Family" reminds me of John Bradshaw's books, especially "Family Secrets: What You Don't Know CAN Hurt You"
    Small departments (few subordinates per supervisor) means people may be afraid to speak up even with constructive suggestions
    Some supervisory intimidation leads office staff to stress out
    Complaining about your boss (for legitimate reasons) yields only retaliation
    Authoritarian management gets carried away sometimes, such as onerous performance evaluation system that is a distraction from rather than a stimulant to doing one's job
    You're likelier to be happier working in an academic (except professional schools) than administrative department, especially as a faculty member - they're treated better

Advice to Senior ManagementSince you are a Christian university, read and heed Matthew Chapter 7 and use it as the basis to revise your workplace policies

Great students; extremely disorganized.

Instructor (Former Employee)
    Omaha, NE

ProsLoved the overall feel of the university; students and faculty were friendly and welcoming. The campus itself is beautiful in any season.

ConsThe office I worked in was extremely disorganized. It took over a week to get some sort of ID, and until that time, I had asked every day about someone helping me get my issue resolved. No one in my office seemed remotely aware of the fact that for my first two weeks of work, none of my forms were being pushed through and I wasn't given any extra help despite this. My entire experienced would be represented by those first two weeks. Constant disorganization.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive people the resources they actually need when starting a new job in a timely manner.

Worthless Department

Omaha, NE

ProsNo micromanagement, large personal office, quiet environment, ability to work independently, interaction with medical students, ok health insurance

Consno direction, the department is costing the univeristy tons of money and the university refuses to do anything about it, low pay, horrible management, invisible administrator

Advice to Senior Managementthe upper management in the university needs to open their eyes to the money sucking department that they are keeping a float

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Right hand doesn't know what the left is doing.

Administrative Assistant (Current Employee)
    Omaha, NE

ProsLove working with students and staff; most faculty are great too. Depending on department you are in hours can be flexible which is another perk.

ConsNO communication between management & staff; very top heavy, too many chefs making the soup. Raises are non-existent or so small (1-2%) that if you work here for more than a couple of years you are paid less than the new person just hired.

Advice to Senior ManagementLISTEN TO YOUR EMPLOYEES!! Quit paying millions of dollars for an 'expert opinion'; take advantage of the talent you have on campus and those that are invested in seeing CU be successful. And for Pete's sake give someone besides upper management a raise!

Good in spite of itself

Omaha, NE

ProsPeople can be great, depending on what department, school, college or division you work in.

ConsToo much variation in management style from place to place. Top-heavy - there are at least 100 kinds of provost, vice-presidents and executive directors. Ego is unavoidable, evidenced by a private bathroom for a VP, an executive director who claims to need three offices, deans who want Macs for clerical staff when Windows boxes would be have the cost, and so-called revenue producers who use corporate credit cards to get around policy. To be clear, nothing at all sketchy in a criminal sense. Just human nature running to petty excess, like leaks you decide to live with rather than fix.

Advice to Senior ManagementI don't give money to Creighton because I won't see it wasted by under managed, competing, scheming, upper academic & business managers. Best advice: study how George C. Marshall managed his generals in WW2. Go and do likewise.

It wasn't what i thought it would be

ProsAt least the benefits are decent.

ConsPeople with children get out of work a lot. People without are stuck with the load.

Professionally stifling, but personally enjoyable

ProsGreat environment to build interpersonal relationships, student workers but amazing lens on evaluating career

ConsPoor management endemic under Fr. Schlegel

Great place to work, if I was planning to retire in the next decade

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Omaha, NE

ProsGreat people work here; I felt like part of the family everyday when I got to work.
    I loved my manager and senior management; they are great people.
    Benefits were great: I got a masters degree essentially for free; paid time off and holidays are fantastic.
    Flexibility in work hours for many positions.

ConsAverage employee age is approximately 50-55. Ideas from those under the age of 40 are ignored; I was told that I was "too young" several times when presenting ideas. Good 'ol boys club is alive and well here.
    Afraid of change.
    Salaries are well-below average; benefits are suppose to make up for low pay. (I make $10,000 more now after a lateral move).
    There is no potential for promotion or advancement for 99% of positions.
    Decisions from management take 3-6+ months.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to new employees' ideas. Don't be afraid of change or youth. There are better ways of doing something; never think you are the best...someone is always better.

A great place to work.

ProsA great place to get started. They are great in their enthusiasm for new employees. They treat people with respect and want you to succeed.

ConsAdministration is way to strict on the students. They are adults and need to learn on their own. Your restrictions are only hurting.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up

Great school student job

ProsEasy on campus access. Flexible hours for a student schedule. Great people. interact with prospective students from all over the country.

ConsMany students do not take their work study program seriously.

Worked for Creighton University? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Creighton University reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Creighton University CEO Rev John P. Schlegel. All 29 reviews posted anonymously by Creighton University employees.