Creighton University Reviews

Updated July 29, 2014

4.0

Creighton University President Rev John P. Schlegel
Rev John P. Schlegel

A crapshoot with respect to satisfaction; not up to image

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE

I worked at Creighton University full-time

Pros

Being a part of a university that gives a great education to students
    Interaction with students is usually positive
    Beautiful physical environment, i.e., campus
    Opportunities to advance one's own education
    Free tuition for sons & daughters of CU employees
    When your supervisor and coworkers have good people skills, working there is great

Cons

The oft-used phrase "Creighton Family" reminds me of John Bradshaw's books, especially "Family Secrets: What You Don't Know CAN Hurt You"
    Small departments (few subordinates per supervisor) means people may be afraid to speak up even with constructive suggestions
    Some supervisory intimidation leads office staff to stress out
    Complaining about your boss (for legitimate reasons) yields only retaliation
    Authoritarian management gets carried away sometimes, such as onerous performance evaluation system that is a distraction from rather than a stimulant to doing one's job
    You're likelier to be happier working in an academic (except professional schools) than administrative department, especially as a faculty member - they're treated better

Since you are a Christian university, read and heed Matthew Chapter 7 and use it as the basis to revise your workplace policies

Great students; extremely disorganized.

Former Employee - Instructor  in  Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Instructor in Omaha, NE

I worked at Creighton University as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Loved the overall feel of the university; students and faculty were friendly and welcoming. The campus itself is beautiful in any season.

Cons

The office I worked in was extremely disorganized. It took over a week to get some sort of ID, and until that time, I had asked every day about someone helping me get my issue resolved. No one in my office seemed remotely aware of the fact that for my first two weeks of work, none of my forms were being pushed through and I wasn't given any extra help despite this. My entire experienced would be represented by those first two weeks. Constant disorganization.

Give people the resources they actually need when starting a new job in a timely manner.

Worthless Department

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Creighton University full-time for more than a year

Pros

No micromanagement, large personal office, quiet environment, ability to work independently, interaction with medical students, ok health insurance

Cons

no direction, the department is costing the univeristy tons of money and the university refuses to do anything about it, low pay, horrible management, invisible administrator

the upper management in the university needs to open their eyes to the money sucking department that they are keeping a float

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Right hand doesn't know what the left is doing.

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant  in  Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Creighton University full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Love working with students and staff; most faculty are great too. Depending on department you are in hours can be flexible which is another perk.

Cons

NO communication between management & staff; very top heavy, too many chefs making the soup. Raises are non-existent or so small (1-2%) that if you work here for more than a couple of years you are paid less than the new person just hired.

LISTEN TO YOUR EMPLOYEES!! Quit paying millions of dollars for an 'expert opinion'; take advantage of the talent you have on campus and those that are invested in seeing CU be successful. And for Pete's sake give someone besides upper management a raise!

Good in spite of itself

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Creighton University part-time for more than 8 years

Pros

People can be great, depending on what department, school, college or division you work in.

Cons

Too much variation in management style from place to place. Top-heavy - there are at least 100 kinds of provost, vice-presidents and executive directors. Ego is unavoidable, evidenced by a private bathroom for a VP, an executive director who claims to need three offices, deans who want Macs for clerical staff when Windows boxes would be have the cost, and so-called revenue producers who use corporate credit cards to get around policy. To be clear, nothing at all sketchy in a criminal sense. Just human nature running to petty excess, like leaks you decide to live with rather than fix.

I don't give money to Creighton because I won't see it wasted by under managed, competing, scheming, upper academic & business managers. Best advice: study how George C. Marshall managed his generals in WW2. Go and do likewise.

It wasn't what i thought it would be

I have been working at Creighton University for more than 3 years

Pros

At least the benefits are decent.

Cons

People with children get out of work a lot. People without are stuck with the load.

Professionally stifling, but personally enjoyable

I have been working at Creighton University

Pros

Great environment to build interpersonal relationships, student workers but amazing lens on evaluating career

Cons

Poor management endemic under Fr. Schlegel

Great place to work, if I was planning to retire in the next decade

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE

I worked at Creighton University

Pros

Great people work here; I felt like part of the family everyday when I got to work.
    I loved my manager and senior management; they are great people.
    Benefits were great: I got a masters degree essentially for free; paid time off and holidays are fantastic.
    Flexibility in work hours for many positions.

Cons

Average employee age is approximately 50-55. Ideas from those under the age of 40 are ignored; I was told that I was "too young" several times when presenting ideas. Good 'ol boys club is alive and well here.
    Afraid of change.
    Salaries are well-below average; benefits are suppose to make up for low pay. (I make $10,000 more now after a lateral move).
    There is no potential for promotion or advancement for 99% of positions.
    Decisions from management take 3-6+ months.

Listen to new employees' ideas. Don't be afraid of change or youth. There are better ways of doing something; never think you are the best...someone is always better.

A great place to work.

I have been working at Creighton University

Pros

A great place to get started. They are great in their enthusiasm for new employees. They treat people with respect and want you to succeed.

Cons

Administration is way to strict on the students. They are adults and need to learn on their own. Your restrictions are only hurting.

Keep it up

Love the People!

I worked at Creighton University full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The people you work with are great. They are like family. Creighton does a lot for the employees with professional development opportunities, lunches, and opportunities to volunteer for causes. Great flexibility for work-life balance. The cost of insurance is less than others that I have had or seen.

Cons

This is education - do not expect to make a lot of money. If you want to park in the parking lots, you have to pay for parking. Only get paid once a month. It takes forever (it seems like) for change to happen within the organization. Silos between divisions which is frustrating to deal with.

Deal with the silos between divisions. Explain why you make the decisions you make. You will gain more support if you do. The staff - faculty division is getting larger. The staff support and often times do the work of faculty and upper management. Reward them for it.

Worked for Creighton University? Contribute to the Community!