Creighton University

Updated December 6, 2014
Updated December 6, 2014
4.1

Rev. Timothy B. Lannon, SJ

A crapshoot with respect to satisfaction; not up to image

I worked at Creighton University full-time

Pros

Being a part of a university that gives a great education to students
    Interaction with students is usually positive
    Beautiful physical environment, i.e., campus
    Opportunities to advance one's own education
    Free tuition for sons & daughters of CU employees
    When your supervisor and coworkers have good people skills, working there is great

Cons

The oft-used phrase "Creighton Family" reminds me of John Bradshaw's books, especially "Family Secrets: What You Don't Know CAN Hurt You"
    Small departments (few subordinates per supervisor) means people may be afraid to speak up even with constructive suggestions
    Some supervisory intimidation leads office staff to stress out
    Complaining about your boss (for legitimate reasons) yields only retaliation
    Authoritarian management gets carried away sometimes, such as onerous performance evaluation system that is a distraction from rather than a stimulant to doing one's job
    You're likelier to be happier working in an academic (except professional schools) than administrative department, especially as a faculty member - they're treated better

Since you are a Christian university, read and heed Matthew Chapter 7 and use it as the basis to revise your workplace policies

Good mission, positive impact on society through higher education, aims high, value-wise. Catholic but not stuffy.

I have been working at Creighton University

Pros

There are some excellent people here. Helpful to a fault, devoted to the Univrrsity's mission. Many are alums, the children of alums, and are parents to alums, and donate to Creighton, too.

Cons

Managerial variety, and not in the positive sense. Some managers do not understand the managerial task of working through others; rather they see themselves as working managers, but end up not working or managing well. This is preventable though.

Silo mentality, replete with information hiding and chicanery (sic) with the org chart and budget. Nothing illegal, just no explanation for behavior. Sad.

To much independence at the corner office level without consideration for fiscal, budgetary or organizational impact of unilateral decisions. Mistaken for "leadership" when what's needed is a CEO with her/his head in the game.

Vacuum leads to meddling by some Board of Trustees members outside of their professional or personal competence. External evaluation, oversight, appointment and replacement of board members is needed.

A joint meeting of the Board of Trustees and the Faculty Senate to review faculty grievances would do a lot to clear the air.

Faculty, however, would do well to remember that students' familys, and alumni, pay a great deal for higher education. The issue is not so much intellectual freedom as use of money. There are ample internal controls, but no ability to say "No" to the grandiose projects of some Deans. Those resources could be better used elsewhere.

In 2014 there was $38 million in accumulated, deferred maintenance, typical for a 136 year old campus. Many new, wonderful facilities have been built for students. Faculty and especially staff are relegated to available space without rhyme or reason. Space planning and use are secretive processes.

Please read the above and respond with something other than a scripted Town Hall meeting. Listen with Jesus' ears and speak with Jesus' voice, an eminently Ignatian sentiment for all at a historically Catholic, Jesuit college.

Important Work but not Always Valued

Former Employee - Research Assistant in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Research Assistant in Omaha, NE

I worked at Creighton University full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Easy going atmosphere with plenty of activities and events on campus.
    Tuition discount is excellent if not a little tight.
    I was able to get my start in the professional world and slowly gained more responsibilities as I earned the trust of my boss.

Cons

The pay is not fantastic.
    The benefits are mediocre which is a shame since there is a hospital, clinic, and dental school all on campus.
    Work we do is important and has potential for strong impact but is often seen as an afterthought to the current moment/life situation of employee or boss. I wish that professionalism was stressed more than it is.

Realize that every department at the University has the potential to have a huge impact - and hold them accountable for the decisions they make.

Great students; extremely disorganized.

Former Employee - Instructor in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Instructor in Omaha, NE

I worked at Creighton University as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Loved the overall feel of the university; students and faculty were friendly and welcoming. The campus itself is beautiful in any season.

Cons

The office I worked in was extremely disorganized. It took over a week to get some sort of ID, and until that time, I had asked every day about someone helping me get my issue resolved. No one in my office seemed remotely aware of the fact that for my first two weeks of work, none of my forms were being pushed through and I wasn't given any extra help despite this. My entire experienced would be represented by those first two weeks. Constant disorganization.

Give people the resources they actually need when starting a new job in a timely manner.

Worthless Department

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Creighton University full-time (more than an year)

Pros

No micromanagement, large personal office, quiet environment, ability to work independently, interaction with medical students, ok health insurance

Cons

no direction, the department is costing the univeristy tons of money and the university refuses to do anything about it, low pay, horrible management, invisible administrator

the upper management in the university needs to open their eyes to the money sucking department that they are keeping a float

Right hand doesn't know what the left is doing.

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Creighton University full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Love working with students and staff; most faculty are great too. Depending on department you are in hours can be flexible which is another perk.

Cons

NO communication between management & staff; very top heavy, too many chefs making the soup. Raises are non-existent or so small (1-2%) that if you work here for more than a couple of years you are paid less than the new person just hired.

LISTEN TO YOUR EMPLOYEES!! Quit paying millions of dollars for an 'expert opinion'; take advantage of the talent you have on campus and those that are invested in seeing CU be successful. And for Pete's sake give someone besides upper management a raise!

Good in spite of itself

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Creighton University part-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

People can be great, depending on what department, school, college or division you work in.

Cons

Too much variation in management style from place to place. Top-heavy - there are at least 100 kinds of provost, vice-presidents and executive directors. Ego is unavoidable, evidenced by a private bathroom for a VP, an executive director who claims to need three offices, deans who want Macs for clerical staff when Windows boxes would be have the cost, and so-called revenue producers who use corporate credit cards to get around policy. To be clear, nothing at all sketchy in a criminal sense. Just human nature running to petty excess, like leaks you decide to live with rather than fix.

I don't give money to Creighton because I won't see it wasted by under managed, competing, scheming, upper academic & business managers. Best advice: study how George C. Marshall managed his generals in WW2. Go and do likewise.

It wasn't what i thought it would be

I have been working at Creighton University (more than 3 years)

Pros

At least the benefits are decent.

Cons

People with children get out of work a lot. People without are stuck with the load.

Professionally stifling, but personally enjoyable

I have been working at Creighton University

Pros

Great environment to build interpersonal relationships, student workers but amazing lens on evaluating career

Cons

Poor management endemic under Fr. Schlegel

Great place to work, if I was planning to retire in the next decade

I worked at Creighton University

Pros

Great people work here; I felt like part of the family everyday when I got to work.
    I loved my manager and senior management; they are great people.
    Benefits were great: I got a masters degree essentially for free; paid time off and holidays are fantastic.
    Flexibility in work hours for many positions.

Cons

Average employee age is approximately 50-55. Ideas from those under the age of 40 are ignored; I was told that I was "too young" several times when presenting ideas. Good 'ol boys club is alive and well here.
    Afraid of change.
    Salaries are well-below average; benefits are suppose to make up for low pay. (I make $10,000 more now after a lateral move).
    There is no potential for promotion or advancement for 99% of positions.
    Decisions from management take 3-6+ months.

Listen to new employees' ideas. Don't be afraid of change or youth. There are better ways of doing something; never think you are the best...someone is always better.

Creighton University Photos