Crescent Electric Supply Reviews

Martin Burbridge

1. Good Company To Work For

Former Employee - Csr1 in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Csr1 in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Crescent Electric Supply (More than 5 years)

Pros

Training is excellent. Structure is there to take care of customers.

Cons

Lots of hours without recognition

2. Quotations

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Elk Grove Village, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Elk Grove Village, IL

I have been working at Crescent Electric Supply full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great company, good benefits. Easy company to work for. Owners seem to really care & are proud of the work we do.

Cons

Management is not connected to employees, doesn't listen to ideas. Needs some help in restructuring the area and teams to get better flow.

Advice to Management

Better new employee training. There is no help, everyone is too busy. Management included

3. truck driver/ warehouse

Current Employee - Truck Driver/Warehouse
    Current Employee - Truck Driver/Warehouse

I have been working at Crescent Electric Supply full-time

Pros

My customers are great and I enjoy the time behind the wheel.

Cons

Raises and bonuses are few and far between. Very top heavy with management. Sales people also are not held accountable. Lack of communication.

Needs lots of fixes at the General Office level

Current Employee - N/A in East Dubuque, IL
    Current Employee - N/A in East Dubuque, IL

I have been working at Crescent Electric Supply

Pros

Some flexibility in working hours depending on your department (definitely not true of all). Sometimes they bring in food for you.

Cons

There's a reason why prospective candidates are told this company is "lean"; it means you will be doing the work of two or more people, while being compensated for one. As far as compensation goes, it's on the low end for the tri-state area, unless you are upper management. Pay gap between management and the rest of staff is significant.

Also, general staff are given few bonuses (if ever, anymore) even after significant milestones like that which was reached in 2014.

Little autonomy given to anyone who isn't management; they make the decisions, subordinates execute them. Possible justification for the lower pay, maybe, but it's a poor excuse to dismiss input of valuable resources.

Lip service is paid to the effort of staff through a few emails every now and then, but rings hollow when there's no tangible reward to putting out consistent work. "We really appreciate all of your hard work and all you do" generally doesn't translate to extra money.

Career advancement within the company is extremely difficult.

Meetings after meetings after meetings, sometimes there are meetings for scheduling meetings. Despite all of these meetings (most likely because of them) decision making comes painfully slow. Company is very reactive compared to competitors, rather than making unique decisions of their own. "Let's do what X is doing", etc. Very risk averse.

Extremely difficult to get tools required to do your job, usually requires jumping through multiple hoops and a lot of waiting.

On a cultural level, environment at the general office is very unfriendly to racial minorities or LGBT. A lot of very questionable dialogue taking place in hallways & break room regarding race & politics on a regular basis. Have heard more than one racial and gender based slur uttered in casual conversation, and environment doesn't give the impression that it's going to do you any favors if you report them to Human Resources.

Advice to Management

Greater trust needs to be placed in staff. Listening to them goes beyond saying "My door is open" and passively listening to advice you are given, letting it go in one ear and out the other. Need to act upon it.

Pay needs to be improved, and/or bonuses need to stop being so infrequent or nonexistent. Staffing MUST improve. Working with a lean workforce is understandable, but if you are trimming too much you're barely able to function.

Crescent Electric Supply Response

May 1, 2015HR Representative

We are sorry this individual has not had a positive experience working for Crescent Electric Supply.

Like most companies, Crescent Electric does not publicize employee compensation information
    ... More

6. Used to be strong family owned company, not anymore. Just like all the other monsters

Former Employee - Sales
    Former Employee - Sales

I worked at Crescent Electric Supply (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good Benefits. Usually decent inside help.

Cons

Overworked, to much internal paperwork and monitoring. High inside turnover

Advice to Management

Work on making inside office culture positive and open.

7. I had a very good experience with Creasent, excellent Company

Current Employee - Credit Manager
    Current Employee - Credit Manager

I have been working at Crescent Electric Supply

Pros

Very well organized. Excellent top management. Great Training and follow up, Good benefits.
    Family owned with family values.

Cons

None that i can think of.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing! It works.

8. If you like long hours?

Former Employee - Account Manager
    Former Employee - Account Manager

I worked at Crescent Electric Supply full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Decent pay. Good benefits. Used to be a family owned company but now they are just like all the rest. They train well. Good rewards program for top sales people.

Cons

In sales you will be driven into the ground. Understaffed with mid quality people that once you train them they leave and go elsewhere because Crescent will not match offers. You are only as good as your last quarter. Budget process is bottom up and time consuming and is usually requested barely at the end of the 3rd quarter when you have no clue on what the next year will bring. Not to mention you are supposed to interview your customers upper management at this time and they laugh because they are still in this year not thinking about next year. No longer a family company and it shows as they act like any stock holder company which will hurt their image and employee loyalty. Still stuck in the midwest and probably should stay there.

Advice to Management

Hire quality inside support and retain them. Look at a salespersons career not the last quarter. Lay off on daily your behind budget e-mails and reporting. Your account managers should not have to work 12-14 hour days.

9. Average, but cheap. Problems with management...

Current Employee - IT Department
    Current Employee - IT Department

I have been working at Crescent Electric Supply full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Fairly decent company to work for. If you show you can work effectively they leave you alone for the most part. Not to much micromanaging. Flexible with work hours so long as the work is being taken care of. Direct manager understands what employees do and is helpful.

Cons

Having worked with the company just about 10 years I've been witness to poor decision making by other management staff and unfortunately its the employees paying for their mistakes, lack of doing. Can be very frustrating. There is also a stigma among employees regarding pay, raises and benefits. I have to agree with other comments posted here, they are few and far between. Even for those that show initiative. I personally had to threaten to leave before they increased my pay to a excepable amount.

Advice to Management

Truthly value your employees with bonuses, pay increases and benefits not just lip service. Listen to your employees, help them so they can help the company grow. In addition, upper management needs to be hiring good sound candidates for middle management. I can't stress this enough as a large percentage of issues involve these 'supected' managers and are the primary failing point...

10. Good company to work for, great benefits.

Current Employee - Office Manager in Carrollton, TX
    Current Employee - Office Manager in Carrollton, TX

I have been working at Crescent Electric Supply full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I love my job & feel like I have the best job in the building. The job is fulfilling and is never boring.
    If I have a problem with something, there is always someone at Corporate who can help me decide how to resolve.

Cons

Written CEOPS is very complicated and difficult to understand. Explanation of procedures is not very understandable.

Advice to Management

Take a little more time to understand what each person has to do. Listen to complaints with an open mind.

Broad variety of training opportunities!

I have been working at Crescent Electric Supply full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are countless training opportunities at Crescent. Whether you want to learn more about the electrical industry or you're looking to build personal skills, there are webinars, classes, books, and conferences to help you accomplish your training goals.

Crescent likes to hire from within. Most employees work their way up the ladder.

Crescent encourages internal and external networking. Employees and managers make frequent branch visits and attend Crescent conferences. This promotes a sense of community within the company. I know many Crescent employees across the country and I feel comfortable going to them for answers. In addition to internal networking, many branches host open houses, promotional events, and BBQ's for our customers and local business partners. These events are fun ways to get to know people in our local community.

I am able to comfortably balance work and home. Tasks are distributed evenly throughout the branch so no one is too overwhelmed.

Cons

Crescent's benefits package is adequate, but there is room for improvement.

Work hours are somewhat flexible, but there has to be coverage. I would like a bit more freedom when it comes to my work schedule.

RSS Feed </> Embed