Crete Carrier

Updated January 22, 2015
Updated January 22, 2015
3.6

Tonn M. Ostergard

Pros
  • Good pay to start and some nicer people (in 3 reviews)

• The equipment is well maintained and up to date (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • home time in Wilmer but wherever we happened to be when it became time for 3 days off (in 6 reviews)

• Slow trucks (62 mph) however this is offset by decent per mile rate, If you are at a bad terminal life can be very rough (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Awesome company

Current Employee - Driver in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Driver in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Crete Carrier full-time (less than a year)

Pros

only been with Crete for 8 months and had some issues at home that needed to be taken care of and they have been very understanding. They treat you as a person and they do care about their drivers.

Cons

Slow trucks but they keep you moving. Service for trucks is slow but know the mechanics work hard.

Keep doing what you're doing.

Best company I ever worked for

Current Employee - OTR Driver in Wilmer, TX
    Current Employee - OTR Driver in Wilmer, TX

I have been working at Crete Carrier full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Miles. Plenty of them too. Crete also cares about you personally, Had a death in the family. Called my asset manager and terminal manager. Was on my way to be with my family an hour later. "Take all the time you need: was" what both told me Routed me home for Xmas under a load. Great equipment. No trailers over 5 years old. Late model tractors. Treats their drivers with respect.

Cons

62 mph, but it could be 59. so I will take 62. I have no complaints. Have driven for 3 other companies before Crete, but actually Crete cares about you,

Explore a 65 mph max speed. Othe than that, keep doing what you are doing.

Great Company

Current Employee - Over the Road Driver in Lincoln, NE
    Current Employee - Over the Road Driver in Lincoln, NE

I have been working at Crete Carrier

Pros

As a company driver I get good miles. Office personnel are friendly.

Cons

Hometime Sometimes you get home late if you don't specify you have an appt

Get drivers home when they request it.

Great Company

Current Employee - Truck Driver in North Platte, NE
    Current Employee - Truck Driver in North Platte, NE

I have been working at Crete Carrier full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, great pay. 401k dental vision, health, and life insurance. Profit sharing. Military Aprenticeship program available.
    The company treats the truck drivers really well. I stayed in a single room in the downtown Lincoln Holiday Inn during orientation. The same hotel the corporate staff stay in. Very professional. BRAND NEW equipment. I'm driving a 2013 Pro Plus with auto start and non idle heat and AC. Electronic logs . I've never been pressured to get a delivery done if I felt roads were unsafe. This is my first truck driving job. EVERY Crete driver I talked to said they like the company and I'm lucky to have picked Crete verses other companies.

Cons

One day off for every six worked, but that's trucking. Management willing to work with you for time off needed.

Recruit as many Vets as possible. We bring a lot to the table. Open your own truck driving schools in every state.

Too much micro-management

Former Employee - Class A Truck Driver in Lincoln, NE
    Former Employee - Class A Truck Driver in Lincoln, NE

I worked at Crete Carrier full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Large company, so you usually have lots of freight. Very rarely did I sit.

Cons

Forced dispatch. Told where to fuel and which routes to take. 62 mph trucks. Low average miles.

After 2 years I must say crete has been good to me

Current Employee - OTR Driver in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - OTR Driver in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Crete Carrier

Pros

They keep ya really busy.really!!

Cons

They run yer arse off!!! Lol!! Seriously you are on another load 5 minutes after delivery..I'm going to go to a shorter time out . Personally I'm becoming burned out.. making money is good but a life would be too!! : ) 45 days out..

Gimme a break!!! Lol!! : p

No communication; No room to grow

Former Employee - Operations Intern in Lincoln, NE
    Former Employee - Operations Intern in Lincoln, NE

I worked at Crete Carrier as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

People in the operations department are very kind. Geoff Humphreys is a great guy/boss. The food in the cafeteria is pretty good.

Cons

Communication between workers, and superiors, is atrocious. Often times you would get to work and have no clue what you were supposed to do. They move you around without discussing with you first. Very cult-like mentality of people who work in the operations department - some of the people don't want to go out of their way to help you. Most of the jobs in operations could be done by a trained monkey, but you have to know past relationships of customers (that management fails to fill you in on).

Work on vertical communication. Don't move people around without first discussing the move with the employee first. Make objectives more clear to new employees.

Driving

Current Employee - National Driver
    Current Employee - National Driver

I have been working at Crete Carrier full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

ok pay and home time

Cons

Management system is not adequate

need load offers ,so one can chose what fits into individual driver time

great company to work for(over 2 years on 6-8 day regional fleet covering 30 states..

Current Employee - OTR Driver(6-8 Day Regional Fleet) in Decherd, TN
    Current Employee - OTR Driver(6-8 Day Regional Fleet) in Decherd, TN

I have been working at Crete Carrier full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great pay...lots of drop n hooks...very few grocery warehouses...very few northeast loads..(only 3 in the last 2 years) ice trucks less than 3 years old...trailers are in great shape...all trailers less than 3 years old

Cons

62 mph trucks...sometimes can't get home when u want....can't put more than a 400 watt inverter in your truck or they will fire u...30 minutes required for drop n hooks and loading and unloading when DOT only requires 15 minutes...maintenance sucks..only allowed to go to terminals for on services and they take at least a full day to do them

Allow trucks to go faster...need better maintenance program..more shops and faster service...allow more than 400 watt inverter in trucks

mechanics that work the best get little to no benefits.

Current Employee - Truck Tech in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Truck Tech in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Crete Carrier full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

easy work load good hours.

Cons

promises no follow through. Hiring people in for you to train at higher pay rate. The buddy buddy system you just might want to change the name to Schneider. it's not who you know but who you ????.

Pay what the going rate is for the mechanics and promote people according to their knowledge not who you know. It has become a joke no leadership just commands. You have foreman threatening your job if you don't do your job but their buddies can goof off all day and lie about what jobs they have done and they are bad about ghost work, they say they done something and there was nothing wrong in the first place just to get time so they can goof off more.

Crete Carrier Photos