Crete Carrier

Updated December 14, 2014
Updated December 14, 2014
3.3

Tonn M. Ostergard

Pros
  • Good pay to start and some nicer people (in 3 reviews)

• The equipment is well maintained and up to date (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • home time in Wilmer but wherever we happened to be when it became time for 3 days off (in 6 reviews)

• Slow trucks (62 mph) however this is offset by decent per mile rate, If you are at a bad terminal life can be very rough (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

The toughest job I've ever had, 85% short runs (350-600 miles), home 3 days every 3 weeks.

Current Employee - OTR Driver
    Current Employee - OTR Driver

I have been working at Crete Carrier full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Pay is slightly above most other large freight hauling companies. Equipment is well-maintained although wait to get in one of the shops is time-consuming and often unpaid.

Cons

Requirements for receiving detention pay is like jumping through hoops, and you are not promised the pay. For all the times I sat at a dock for over two hours, I have received detention pay approximately 15% of the time. Live load/unloading as opposed to drop/hook has been about 50/50.

1. The move to having an "asset manager", although desired when I had an unknown different person dispatching me every day, has proven to be highly undesirable for me. Either driver or dispatcher can do something displeasing to the other the relationship is difficult or impossible to repair. 2. -Check to see if detention is being paid to drivers, and if not, why? Know that a driver is not provided a very high degree of respect from shippers and receivers and to even ask for a signature on a detention pay form is met with flippant, uncooperative behavior. Now on our load instructions we are asked to get more information from customers and they don't agree we have any right to request information (a computer print screen???), or get a signature for detention. -Check to see if Crete is receiving detention that is not passed on to drivers. Drivers should receive detention whether or not Crete received their detention pay - the delay negatively impacted our ability to earn money, plus it has increased our stress load and fatigue. I have a computer print screen that shows I was in and out of a customer and live loaded in 11 minutes (not possible nor legal). Of course I was there over 3 hours, but this is evidently not what they will send Crete when asked. Is this ever investigated? Or when through the e-mail system your personnel use to receive detention does Crete just go on without the detention and believe what the customer has sent, and not the driver's quallcom entries? Very rarely my quallcom entries are not perfectly timed, but when I'm sitting at a dock they most certainly are sent promptly and detention form times favor the customer. Drivers already wait without pay while repairs are being done, without pay for time scaling a load - (which is mostly getting in, parked, and out of a busy truck stop, but it can add up to 1/2 hr just about every day when receiving short run after short run). We do small repairs gladly for free. We sweep trailers (usually daily) for free. We do our vehicle inspections every day for free. Do not tolerate having us sit at customers docks for free. It wears us out incredibly. Nothing makes me more tired than to sit at a dock for 3 or more hours (at times twice per day) and then have to run 6 or more, getting into rush hour, construction, worrying about my 14-hr clock and the last parking spot to be had at the truck stop. Know that a diligent customer can load/unload a trailer on average in 30 minutes. 3. -Check to see if a driver has been re-routed (paid) when consignee is changed. We feel like we are nit-picking asking about getting paid the extra miles when it is just a few but we are due the miles and should be paid automatically and diligently. 4. -Check to see if all voided or cancelled loads are justifiable and did they negatively impact the driver (unpaid miles). 5. -Check to see if whoever is entering directions is able to recognize repetitive entries so we don't have two pages to read (write down, decipher) when trying to get moving on our load. The time we spend planning and preparing for our load is on average 1/2 hr every load. The load instructions themselves are very lengthy and require writing down so we remember all the things we need to do while we are at the customer's location. It just makes a 14-hr clock even more difficult with all the short runs. 6. -Please, please, please, as business increases, remind dispatchers, planners, csr's and everyone else that much, much more goes into the time a driver will spend driving under a load than the total miles divided by 62 mph. Remind them that a comment like "I show this many miles and you have hours available" will not be met very amicably by a driver who has more than a year's experience. We want the runs, we want to get there as soon as possible. We are and have always been responsible for getting parked legally, getting through road construction safely, through rush hour safely, up steep grades, two laned winding routes through small to mid-sized or larger towns, through weigh stations, flat tire repair, finding ourselves behind even slower vehicles, and any other kind of delays. We many times need a 15-minute break outside that awful mandatory 30-minute break and we don't have time for it. Please consider my advice. For a very, very large company, you're doing okay but the negative impact a driver receives when things aren't smooth should be adjusted and favor your most valuable resource.

ETHICAL LEADERSHIP AT THE TOP

Former Employee - Office in Lincoln, NE
    Former Employee - Office in Lincoln, NE

I worked at Crete Carrier full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Solid company with ethical leadership at the top who is interested in doing the right thing. Benefits are about what you would expect from a mid-level concern. Will work with personal life priorities to an extent, but baseline expectations create far more issues of this nature. Promotes a family environment, but falls short in that employee's children must be at daycare minimum of 10 hours each day work day. Company has accepted necessity in utilizing technology in satisfying organizational goals. Promotional opportunities are good for those cut of the right fabric.

Cons

Mid-level management promotes "one-upmanship" atmosphere within the ranks. It's ingrained in the "company culture". It's exclusive politics and it's poison. Assignment of responsibility for daily operations is said to be "everyone's" to the degree that there is extreme duplication of effort and lack of clear direction of focus. In the end, one individual will generally be pinpointed as being responsible to the exclusion of "everyone" who should or should not have had to take ownership of issue. Long hours in stressful environment where employees are spread too thin is only an awareness as opposed to recognizing the impact on the environment and employees. Passing acknowledgement functions as best approach to the problem rather than taking ownership to remedy. It is believed that necessary corrections would affect the bottom line.

Recognize and provide GENUINE credit and support where it is due and needed.

accounting manager

Former Employee - Accounting Manager
    Former Employee - Accounting Manager

I worked at Crete Carrier full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Financially Stable private company with long term goals and direction. Open door policy with access to top management.

Cons

Long hours and pay that is not at industry levels for management. Sometimes spend a dollar to save a dime is the prevailing thought. Little or no training, sink or swim.

Informing Crete Carrier of the changes and improvements that need to be implemented

Current Employee - OTR Truck Driver in Lincoln, NE
    Current Employee - OTR Truck Driver in Lincoln, NE

I have been working at Crete Carrier full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people that are employed at Crete, are very nice and helpful. The equipment is well maintained and up to date. The assignments almost always go as planned , and without a lot of complications. Most of the time you will be close to another location to continue to work. That way you are not sitting for very long before you are back to driving.

Cons

The Company always demands that we as drivers be very proactive with our communication to the necessary people. However the people who are the most important to the Driver is not forthcoming with their communication. There is much needed information that at times is kept from the Driver. This inhibits our ability to be efficient, and profitable not only for us but the company too.

very pleasant

Current Employee - Professional Driver in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Professional Driver in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Crete Carrier full-time (less than an year)

Pros

they care about the employees

Cons

have to be willing to work long days

A good company but with some issues.

Former Employee - OTR Driver
    Former Employee - OTR Driver

I worked at Crete Carrier full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Decent pay, a good company.

Cons

Older trucks, very old qualcomm, paper logs.

At Crete Carrier it was an exciting adventure, but also it was a very exulting to get the job done.

Current Employee - Truck Driver in Wilmer, TX
    Current Employee - Truck Driver in Wilmer, TX

I have been working at Crete Carrier full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Traveling across the United States seeing all the pretty sites, meeting different people of all kinds, eating out a lot, and dealing with the receivers of the goods was very nice.

Cons

Keeping up with DOT standards and regulations is a challenge but not hard if you learn and know your materials. On the road driving for long periods of time to deliver on time was also challenging.

If you go to work for Crete Carrier, be prepared and try to go do your best, and if you don't know something are if you're unsure about something, never be afraid to ask because there is someone there to always help you.

Creat

Current Employee - OTR Truck Driver
    Current Employee - OTR Truck Driver

I have been working at Crete Carrier part-time

Pros

I work for a creat they are the best company in moth amaraka I'm from Mexico and like the feel of a creat they have good semi and pay 34$ on the mile if you are emtee or a full load of reefers. I will always work for a creat truck. I get to fill up with 50 whole gallons of gas at the pilot. if you want me to recrute you I get pay for that and detention for loads if I am three hrs late. I get 2000 mpw I do a lot of short runs but they keeps me a busy. I want to buy my own Volvo one day for a o/o for the fuel sir change. I like dispatch on a computer and the nice ones in terminal at Texas you can get free shower in Texas 24/7 I see places in the road. they have terminals in nabrasku where they do not pay any debt to the company.

Cons

Not as much mil for a week like in mx

Give me more miles.

KC maintenance department is a joke.

Current Employee - Tractor Trailer Mechanic in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Tractor Trailer Mechanic in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Crete Carrier full-time (less than an year)

Pros

PTO available upon starting. No discipline at all, you can mess up a lot and not get in trouble.

Cons

Politics, too much of management playing favorites. New employees with lower experience and no certifications make more than older seasoned employees. High turnover rate, about one mechanic a month leaves.

Upper management (manager, not foremans) need to sit down with each employee and figure out what the problem is. The manager never leaves the office so some foremans do as they please. Don't know if you know or not but you do have a shop with some talented individuals, quit sending work out to third parties. All the money we would save doing work in-house would allow for raises for shop employees. It would be nice if middle management (foremen) were required to have an education, at least high school (which some don't). Try and keep people at Crete, our reputation is badly damaged in KC because all the former employees talking about us.

Good company if you don't ever need to go home.

Former Employee - Truck Driver in North Salt Lake, UT
    Former Employee - Truck Driver in North Salt Lake, UT

I worked at Crete Carrier full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good pay, profit sharing, new trucks.

Cons

Very difficult to keep hometime appointments because they won't get you home on time. This is especially true if you live in the western states.

Truck maintenance is very inefficient. You can usually count on being down for 2 days or more to get a service on your truck.

Crete Carrier Photos