Creve Coeur Camera

If you love photography

Current Employee - Human Resources/Mgt  in  Creve Coeur, MO
    Current Employee - Human Resources/Mgt in Creve Coeur, MO

I have been working at Creve Coeur Camera full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great people to work with...nice place...

Cons

Reasonable pay...remember...it's retail and camera

You'll get tired of it fast.

Former Employee - Photographic Consultant  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Photographic Consultant in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Creve Coeur Camera full-time

Pros

Laid back for the most part. You get to play with and borrow gear. Good discount. Benefits are ok. Company does care about the customer.

Cons

You will make the same amount of pay, whether you're there one year or ten years. Camera sales are decreasing, which harshly affects commission. No room for advancement. Long hours on your feet (not allowed to sit), sometimes working over 10 hour days. Exhausting.

Reward employees with the potential for pay increases over time. Increasing a loyal employee's base rate will improve morale and encourage employees to work harder and enjoy their job. If an employee knows the company doesn't care about their pay, they will not care about the well-being of the company. Care about your employees as much as you do your customers.

Not like it used to be

Current Employee - Sales  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Sales in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Creve Coeur Camera full-time

Pros

You get to see and use most of the newest photo equipment that comes around. Employee purchase programs are pretty good. Commission sales and spiff programs can be decent.

Cons

Sales staff should not expect to stay at the store they apply or interview at. You could end up at a store clear across town with little to no notice. There is almost no room to move up in the company. It's absolutely cutthroat amongst the sales staff.

Stop cutting staff and denying raises. You make money by having a great team and keeping them, not by driving them away with a lack of opportunity to get ahead. The turnover rate is awful now.
    And advertising is key! The only ads I see are at 11pm after the Cardinals baseball game on a cable channel!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Love it

Current Employee - Management  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Management in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Creve Coeur Camera full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Cameras, photography, photowalks, gadgets and more

Cons

It's retail hours...but it's photography

None

Compensation is below the poverty line, management is irate, and no room for growth

Former Employee - Photographic Consultant  in  Creve Coeur, MO
    Former Employee - Photographic Consultant in Creve Coeur, MO

I worked at Creve Coeur Camera full-time for less than a year

Pros

Laid-back atmosphere... sometimes, and discounts on gear. If you develop your client base enough you might be alright, but the the level of sales in another job will vastly exceed this one.

Cons

Nearly 0 potential for moving up. Terrible pay. Long work hours (and abnormal work hours). A president that doesn't care about his employees, and senior management to boot.

Care about your employees.

Great Place...I just moved away

Former Employee - Sales  in  Creve Coeur, MO
    Former Employee - Sales in Creve Coeur, MO

I worked at Creve Coeur Camera full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Fantastic Sr. Management, Great Owner, Great being in this business and working with people

Cons

Retail hours but not unusual for retail

Great People

Overall a great place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Creve Coeur Camera

Pros

The atmosphere is very relaxed, and most employees are knowledgeable and committed. I work with a bunch of great people and most of them have been here a long time. We have A LOT of folks that have left and then come back. To me, that means that its a good place to work. Why would people come back if they were unhappy. Senior Management is always open to new ideas, and the overall commitment to customer service is very real. They treat both customers and employees with respect.
    I actually am writing this after seeing a review by someone else. My initial response on seeing the other review was "you get out what you put in".

Cons

Retail hours are a drag, but that is typical in ANY retail location.

A good place to start, but a bad place to stay

Current Employee - Photographic Consultant
    Current Employee - Photographic Consultant

I have been working at Creve Coeur Camera

Pros

A mostly laid-back environment. Fun to work with technology all day. You get to borrow the tech. The people are great (although this depends on your store).

Cons

Retail hours suck: 10-8 (i.e. no time to get anything done unless its your day off). Considering what you need to learn and do in order to succeed the pay sucks. Most of the time you're working for waitress wages. There is almost no way to change this unless you move to a store that does more business or get promoted to management and those spaces are very limited.

For middle management: remember the salespeople are working just as hard as you and your bonus depends on them.

For upper management: if you want to keep good people long term you need to do a better job of sharing the fruits of their labor with them. Why should the seasoned people stay around if we've hit our pay ceiling after just a few years? Would you?

Worked for Creve Coeur Camera? Contribute to the Community!