Cricket Communications

Updated February 10, 2015
Updated February 10, 2015

Cricket Communications Chief Executive Officer Doug Hutcheson
Doug Hutcheson

Pros
  • Good employees Good pay and benefits (in 22 reviews)

• Good pay for entry level position, good hire from within policies (in 30 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management treats you like crap unless you are in their little clique (in 28 reviews)

• As to the work conditions, there is no work life balance (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Fun place to work, but very long hours

Former Employee - Senior Staff Accountant in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Staff Accountant in San Diego, CA

I worked at Cricket Communications full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great benefits many companies just do not offer anymore. Brand new eco friendly award winning building had fully equipped fitness room, showers, and a variety of Wii, games and treadmills on every floor. Being a wireless happy environment, you can take your laptop and work anywhere you want, including patios, casual sitting areas or conference rooms on any floor. Full cafeteria, although closes early. Lots of opportunities for improvement, collaboration and growth. If you are motivated and have ideas, you can run with them.

It is the only company I have worked at where the CEO met with the entire corporate staff, at all levels, on a regular basis, and shared the company vision, goals, direction, results, etc. I will never forget the words: "What you do matters". From an employee stand point, I would say, what he did mattered. In most large corporations, most employees feel lost in the crowd, ignored and unappreciated. Here you could talk with anyone you thought you needed to talk to at any level.

Cons

Entertainment and fitness areas are provided because you will live in this building. There is no going home. Even if you go home, you do not stop working or get any sleep. The hours are very long, however, pleasant people and place to work. Too bad the full cafeteria closes early in the afternoon, because people do not go home early. Can be extremely stressful because we did not have adequate systems to support the business volume and rapid growth. Deadlines were nearly impossible to meet, hence the reason you never leave. I do not think executive management may be aware of the incredible amount of hours employees work.

Testing of potential new desperately needed software and systems went from bad to worst. Still everyone had an invitation to participate and collaborate in systems requirements and testing, and other projects, assuming you had the time, which was not likely.

Not enough people to get the work done, specially as business continued to grow exponentially. No new hiring to keep up with demands, deadlines got shorter, but no additional staff, so a lot of burn out. There is absolutely no training, and there are no instructions for anything, therefore, you either learn on your own and on the fly or do not survive. A lot of disconnects, inconsistencies and redundant things done by many without knowing it, because no one knows what the other is doing.

Many layers of management also contributed to the lack of coordination and communication. Most employees do not know why they are doing what they are doing or how it is relevant to other functions. Direct managers do not communicate with employees whatever is discussed between managers, departments and the million meetings they went to, which added to the confusion and lack of job knowledge. Most corporate employees had no idea what was going on at the stores because we were buried in raw data and codes that gave us no insight into the business.

Reduce the layers of management and add enough staff to keep up with job function demands. Require that managers communicate with employees, know the specific functions of their employees and encourage training.

It was a great ride while it lasted!

Former Employee - Indirect Account Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Indirect Account Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Cricket Communications full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Prior to ATT buying Cricket out from what I understand I was lucky... Because Cricket paid well and the benefits were phenomenal! For the first 5 years life was great and the work environment was exceptional. The last 3 years management became shady and ridiculous...

Cons

Corporate does not always know what is happening locally unfortunately....

Doesn't matter now... Cricket (Leap Wireless) no longer exists....

Decent company to work for

I worked at Cricket Communications full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Growth opportunities
    Good pay
    Good internal structure

Cons

Management needs to get outside the Ivory Tower
    Human Resource department could use revamping, from the TOP especially, down

Enjoy the AT&T takeover!

You never know what's coming around the bend

Current Employee - Director in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Director in Denver, CO

I have been working at Cricket Communications

Pros

I've worked for the company for more than 10 years and it's been a roller coaster the whole time. If you're looking for something dynamic and exciting, this is the place. You'll have to pull more than your weight in most cases, but the people are great to work with.

Cons

Senior management is totally out of touch with the front line and what it takes to accomplish work. The communication isn't great. The company communicates their plan for the future, but does not make the day-to-day decisions in accordance with their plans.

Listen to the people that are talking to the customers everyday.

Cricket Wireless

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Columbus, GA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Columbus, GA

I worked at Cricket Communications

Pros

Employee Discount and Health benefits

Cons

Poor management, inconsistent schedules and salary

Pay more attention

Great company....horrible bosses

Former Employee - Retail Sales Representative in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Representative in Houston, TX

I worked at Cricket Communications

Pros

The company itself is great, you are constantly meeting new and diverse people

Cons

making sure every customer is satisfied with their experience

learn how to be more compassionate and understanding towards employees

Inexperienced supervisors who us aggressive/bullying behavior toward employees

I worked at Cricket Communications

Pros

The building is nice with great views.

Cons

No growth potential, poor benefits, bullying by supervisors/managers

Good company to work in while in highschool

I worked at Cricket Communications

Pros

individual stores offer flexible schedules and district managers are approachable

Cons

company has little room for advancement and is not encouraged

Focus changed since being bought by ATT

Former Employee - Lead Sales Representative in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Lead Sales Representative in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at Cricket Communications

Pros

Initially, when it was still Cricket, the focus was on the enployees and providing us with tools to excel in our position. Pay and bonus structure was incredible.

Cons

The customer base was entitled due to Lifeline program. Very rude. Was verbally assaulted several times and management just told me to " shrug it off". Also had to deal with sexual harassment from another employee and this didn't stop until he quit. He received many warnings and write ups but was never fired. He also had several drawer shortages and was never disciplined.

Now that ATT purchased Cricket, the phones are great but the focus has shifted from the employees to cutting costs at every opportunity. They have lost a lot of great and talented employees due to not feeling valued.

Make sure your employees are happy. If there is a problem, fix it. It shouldn't fall on reps' shoulders to come up with solutions to problems that should be handled by upper management.

Great company to work for until being bought out by at&t

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Cricket Communications full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great co workers and benefits (even though benefits were costly). Good retail hours and paid holidays. Trainings were beneficial.

Cons

A lot of pressure on items that were hard to control or predict. Kept stores at very minimal staff making stress levels high.

Cricket Communications Photos