Cricket Communications

Updated August 15, 2014

2.9

Cricket Communications Chief Executive Officer Doug Hutcheson
Doug Hutcheson

Pros
  • Good employees Good pay and benefits (in 21 reviews)

• Good pay for entry level position, good hire from within policies (in 28 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management treats you like crap unless you are in their little clique (in 28 reviews)

• sometimes the lack of communication from the top down isn't as it should be (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Limited view of the big picture

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Pros

Good people with the desire to create good products and provide good customer service.

Cons

Too much time spent on reporting and explanations instead of execution.

Streamline the work process and improve cross departmental communication

Customer Operations Coordinator

Pros

Good company overall. A great experience to learn about wireless.

Cons

System enhancements would be a good idea.

Apr 24, 2014Senior Manager, Communications

As we partner with AT&T (post-closure) toward launching a brand-new Cricket, many system/process enhancements are underway whereby we'll be able to leverage eachother's strengths (best practices ... More

Senior Systems Engineer

Former Employee - Senior Sy
    Former Employee - Senior Sy

Pros

Small company, lots of opportunities to make a difference.

Cons

Management was not stable. Rash decisions. Need more opportunities for career growth for Senior level engineers.

Share.

Apr 24, 2014Senior Manager, Communications

Although a former employee, we appreciate you making/taking the time to provide a Review - thank you. While we strive to keep the small company feel/culture that's served us well in the past, your ... More

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Ups and downs

Current Employee - Indirect Service Specialist  in  Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Indirect Service Specialist in Raleigh, NC

Pros

The pay is good as we'll as benefits

Cons

No consistency between different parts of organization

Apr 24, 2014Senior Manager, Communications

Hello Raleigh! As we partner with AT&T (post-closure) toward launching a brand-new Cricket, many opportunities for consistency within the organization are underway. As you might imagine, it won't ... More

Face paced technology based retail

Former Employee - Information Technology  in  Greenwood Village, Arapahoe, CO
    Former Employee - Information Technology in Greenwood Village, Arapahoe, CO

Pros

Good opportunity and management support. Face paced and challenging environment full of dedicated and talented people.

Cons

Ever changing environment for products and business technology. Very demanding, and often high stress.

Apr 24, 2014Senior Manager, Communications

Thank you for your eight (8) years of service with the Company, that's awesome. Ever-changing is the key word, truly the case in a highly-competitive enviroment like wireless. That said, we need to ... More

Don't Work Here

Former Employee - Retail Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Representative

Pros

Easy work, Fast environment so the days go by fast. Merge w/ AT&T. Hopefully a better phone line-up and better cell service soon. Flexibility w/ a full-time salaried position on top of it.

Cons

Where to begin... I came into this company as a part-timer and I have to say I absolutely regret it. I have never seen a company that is so micromanaged!!! Managers breathe down your neck not to mention the lovely clip board and dry erase marker you must carry around the whole day and go over everything it says w customers word for word. You feel like a robot. You are not allowed to have a personality of your own. I have worked wireless before and this has been one of the worst working experiences I have ever had. They cap you w/ commissions. Part timers at 500 per month as well as full timers at 2000. Seems like it's fair until you realize you are taxed 40% of your commission. Don't expect to make more than 40k a year full time at best. And part timers will cap out a little less than 20k. If you want to feel like you are back in HS then Cricket is the place for you. The managers manage as if they are your HS English teacher. Not to mention the upper management is lazy. When I was hired I was thrown on the floor and hardly taught anything and when I wasn't doing things 100 percent correctly they were trying to point a finger of blame at other sales reps. I have never been a quitter. I quit within 2 weeks of starting... Favoritism is HUGE here. Some workers have been there 8 months and been promoted. Others have been there 9+ years and has never seen any hope in advancements or was promised and never received.

Let your reps breathe and be salesmen!!! Staring at a clip board and jotting down a bunch of unnecessary crap is interfering with the whole customer experience.

Management, Project manager Operations Manager

Former Employee - Project Manager  in  Albuquerque, NM
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Albuquerque, NM

Pros

Great People and work place good place

Cons

24 X 7 Jobs always thinking about job growing the network

Keep supporting the good people congrads on the AT&T merger

Apr 24, 2014Senior Manager, Communications

Hey Albuquerque, thanks for the Congrats! Sorry you're no longer with us, but we're also extremely optimistic about our future at Cricket. Please keep an eye on us as we go from here and feel free ... More

Goodbye to a company that in the end, deserved to die.

Former Employee - Engineer  in  San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Engineer in San Diego, CA

Pros

Pay was OK, Benefits only slightly sub-standard toward the end.

A few years ago it was actually a pretty good place. Advancement was possible through hard work, work was exciting, it had a good culture. Then it went down the tubes.

Cons

First off, I saw a lot of people burned out, they would hire people, work them to death for a couple years, and when they had enough they would leave of be fired or put in one of the annual lay-offs. Still it was OK, it was fast paced and the people who left took their training and moved to a better place.
    The billing system was antiquated, so the company spent a fortune upgrading it for nothing, after being behind schedule and way way over budget, they still couldn't make cafe type plan upgrades needed for innovation work.
    Then the LTE build came along, a bad idea to begin with and it was completely mismanaged. Plans changed daily, really poor decisions were made about what cities were first launch, and the backhaul was not increased to match the technology, so the LTE customer experience sucked.
    Following that fiasco, people started to get cut,m all the middle managers worth a darn saw the writing on the wall and left, the ones who stayed just silo'd up and protected their buddies. As all the real talent left the people who stayed behind are just treading water waiting for AT&T to cut them a severance check.

My only regret is not leaving in 2012 the first chance I got, I stuck it out a year past the realization the company was a zombie, and cheated myself out of a year with a better company.

If you are Cricket, retire, stay out of business, don't go somewhere else and screw that up too.

If you are AT&T, there is no one worth keeping left, cut the spectrum over as fast as you can and cut the deadwood loose.

Great Salary and Benefits, Horrible company Culture

Pros

Great Salary and Bonus potential. Great Benefits and incentives

Cons

Upper Management leads by fear. Local HR manager very unprofessional and has a close relationship (crony like relationship) with managers that they are responsible for insuring that they follow company rules and HR guidelines. HUGE conflict of interest. Knowing this, some directors have no worry about leading with an antagonistic and unprofessional approach. This leads to a very hostile work environment, many store managers and sales reps are unhappy with present market leadership.

Fear is a terrible motivator. It is a hostile way of directing you field. Your employees will not support you for any other reason of fear of losing their job, but if they could speak anonymously about you to the powers that be, it would not be a good review to say the least. HR also has to be careful about how close they get to directors who act this way, because managers and employees don't feel they can go to HR without there being a conflict of interest.

Cricket

Former Employee - Sales Representative  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Houston, TX

Pros

good hours, good pay, good co-workers

Cons

not trained correctly, not enough c0- workers

train better

Mar 7, 2014Senior Manager, Communications

Thank you, Houston! Although a former employee, we clearly appreciate the time you've taken to help us improve. Feedback provided within your Review will be provided to our Leadership Team (under ... More

Worked for Cricket Communications? Contribute to the Community!