Cricket Communications Reviews

Reset
2.8
Cricket Communications Chief Executive Officer Doug Hutcheson
Doug Hutcheson

Pros
  • Good employees Good pay and benefits (in 22 reviews)

• good hours, good pay, good co-workers (in 30 reviews)

Cons
  • Still upper management considered that a 'crutch' not to be able to set up/sign up more stores for the company (in 28 reviews)

• Need to maintain a good work life balance (in 7 reviews)

1. Fun place to work, but very long hours

Former Employee - Senior Staff Accountant in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Staff Accountant in San Diego, CA

I worked at Cricket Communications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits many companies just do not offer anymore. Brand new eco friendly award winning building had fully equipped fitness room, showers, and a variety of Wii, games and treadmills on every floor. Being a wireless happy environment, you can take your laptop and work anywhere you want, including patios, casual sitting areas or conference rooms on any floor. Full cafeteria, although closes early. Lots of opportunities for improvement, collaboration and growth. If you are motivated and have ideas, you can run with them. It is the only company I have worked at where the CEO met with the entire corporate staff, at all levels, on a regular basis, and shared the company vision, goals, direction, results, etc. I will never forget the words: "What you do matters". From an employee stand point, I would say, what he did mattered. In most large corporations, most employees feel lost in the crowd, ignored and unappreciated. Here you could talk with anyone you thought you needed to talk to at any level.

Cons

Entertainment and fitness areas are provided because you will live in this building. There is no going home. Even if you go home, you do not stop working or get any sleep. The hours are very long, however, pleasant people and place to work. Too bad the full cafeteria closes early in the afternoon, because people do not go home early. Can be extremely stressful because we did not have adequate systems to support the business volume and rapid growth. Deadlines were nearly impossible to meet, hence the reason you never leave. I do not think executive management may be aware of the incredible amount of hours employees work. Testing of potential new desperately needed software and systems went from bad to worst. Still everyone had an invitation to participate and collaborate in systems requirements and testing, and other projects, assuming you had the time, which was not likely. Not enough people to get the work done, specially as business continued to grow exponentially. No new hiring to keep up with demands, deadlines got shorter, but no additional staff, so a lot of burn out. There is absolutely no training, and there are no instructions for anything, therefore, you either learn on your own and on the fly or do not survive. A lot of disconnects, inconsistencies and redundant things done by many without knowing it, because no one knows what the other is doing. Many layers of management also contributed to the lack of coordination and communication. Most employees do not know why they are doing what they are doing or how it is relevant to other functions. Direct managers do not communicate with employees whatever is discussed between managers, departments and the million meetings they went to, which added to the confusion and lack of job knowledge. Most corporate employees had no idea what was going on at the stores because we were buried in raw data and codes that gave us no insight into the business.

Advice to Management

Reduce the layers of management and add enough staff to keep up with job function demands. Require that managers communicate with employees, know the specific functions of their employees and encourage training.

Should have been a contender

Former Employee - Senior Director in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Director in San Diego, CA

I worked at Cricket Communications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Ability to move quickly on ideas Open to suggestions

Cons

Lost in a sea of competition Inability to scale from a cash limited and spectrum limited perspective Lack of vision

Advice to Management

They sold the company which made sense. However the new management/owner at&t is exactly that... new. They have replaced seasoned execs with some management consultants who don't understand the fundamentals of the business. It's a very impractical leadership team that doesn't seem to be making their numbers. Their advertising campaigns are juvenile and appeal to a 4th grader. I'd look for the brand to fold in the next 2 to 3 years and the executives to all get another undeserved chance for further wasting the company's resources.

3. Human Resources Safety and Security Specialist

Current Employee - Human Resources Safety and Security Specialist in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Cricket Communications full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have the best team and peers to work with. Our Director is very understanding and always provides clear direction. He helps us learn and gain experience by providing job training paid by the company.

Cons

Since people work from home, it can be challenging at times reaching our peers. However, sending out emails always helps.

Advice to Management

Promoting our team would had been nice.

Aug 5, 2014 – Senior Manager

Thank you for your Review and related feedback. PLEASE NOTE that as of March 2013, we went from operating as Cricket Communications to the new Cricket Wiress (and as such, we now have a ... More

EXPERIENCE!

Current Employee - Legal Administrative Assistant in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Legal Administrative Assistant in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Cricket Communications full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I have worked with the very best people at Cricket. I have learned so much from working with a variety of people and a wide variety of legal areas.

Cons

Since the merger of Cricket and AT&T unless you want to move there are no opportunities of employeement with the NEW CRICKET.

Aug 5, 2014 – Senior Manager

Overall a great experience, worked in a team environment with good leadership.

Current Employee - Accountant in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Accountant in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Cricket Communications full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great experience, company benefits were about average compare to other companys. Nice office building and location.

Cons

Company was aquired by a bigger company, at times overloaded with too much work and issues with server problem.

Aug 5, 2014 – Senior Manager

Great team, constantly changing organization

Former Contractor - Systems Administrator in San Diego, CA
    Former Contractor - Systems Administrator in San Diego, CA

I worked at Cricket Communications as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Great Workplace Facilities, some really great talent.

Cons

Reorg every quarter, very political for cross organization projects

Advice to Management

Reorg is fine so long as there is a sense of stability.

Apr 24, 2014 – Senior Manager, Communications

Althought a former employee, we deeply appreciate you taking the time to provide a Review. Now that our Deal with AT&T has closed, we anticipate things falling into place a bit with a more stability ... More

Great employees, poor leadership

Former Employee - Manager in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Manager in San Diego, CA

I worked at Cricket Communications full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The workers within the back office were very dedicated and strongly believed in doing the best job that they could.

Cons

Leadership. Leadership. Leadership. Everyday was a game of chase the disaster. Often times recommendations on how to solve the root problems would fall flat at middle management, either because fixing the issue would step on someones toes or complete refusal to see the forest through the trees. The hours were hideous and the OT pay for employees didn't make up for the burnout that it caused.

Advice to Management

Stop spending a dollar to save a penny. Listen to your employees and stop worrying about stepping on someones toes if doing so will stop the root cause of a given problem.

Apr 24, 2014 – Senior Manager, Communications

Pointed/specific feedback; thank you for taking the time to provide. Your Review will be shared with those in the best position to investigate, advise and/or make any necessary changes to improve ... More

Limited view of the big picture

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Cricket Communications full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good people with the desire to create good products and provide good customer service.

Cons

Too much time spent on reporting and explanations instead of execution.

Advice to Management

Streamline the work process and improve cross departmental communication

Goodbye to a company that in the end, deserved to die.

Former Employee - Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Engineer in San Diego, CA

I worked at Cricket Communications full-time

Pros

Pay was OK, Benefits only slightly sub-standard toward the end. A few years ago it was actually a pretty good place. Advancement was possible through hard work, work was exciting, it had a good culture. Then it went down the tubes.

Cons

First off, I saw a lot of people burned out, they would hire people, work them to death for a couple years, and when they had enough they would leave of be fired or put in one of the annual lay-offs. Still it was OK, it was fast paced and the people who left took their training and moved to a better place. The billing system was antiquated, so the company spent a fortune upgrading it for nothing, after being behind schedule and way way over budget, they still couldn't make cafe type plan upgrades needed for innovation work. Then the LTE build came along, a bad idea to begin with and it was completely mismanaged. Plans changed daily, really poor decisions were made about what cities were first launch, and the backhaul was not increased to match the technology, so the LTE customer experience sucked. Following that fiasco, people started to get cut,m all the middle managers worth a darn saw the writing on the wall and left, the ones who stayed just silo'd up and protected their buddies. As all the real talent left the people who stayed behind are just treading water waiting for AT&T to cut them a severance check. My only regret is not leaving in 2012 the first chance I got, I stuck it out a year past the realization the company was a zombie, and cheated myself out of a year with a better company.

Advice to Management

If you are Cricket, retire, stay out of business, don't go somewhere else and screw that up too. If you are AT&T, there is no one worth keeping left, cut the spectrum over as fast as you can and cut the deadwood loose.

11. Great Employee Experience

Current Employee - Department Coordinator in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Department Coordinator in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Cricket Communications full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Career Oriented - Career Opportunities - Challenging Goals

Cons

None - None - None

Advice to Management

Keep up the Great Work

RSS Feed </> Embed