Cricut Reviews

Ashish Arora

1. A fun and exciting place to work, but upper management can be territorial

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in South Jordan, UT
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in South Jordan, UT

I worked at Cricut (More than a year)

Pros

Cricut is growing like crazy, and it's exciting to be along for the ride! The success of its Cricut Explore line of machines can be credited to CEO Ashish Arora's passionate dedication to giving customers a high-quality experience. There are tons of uber-smart people here, and I never found a single slacker. Working hard and playing hard are part of the company values, and Cricut lives out that mantra. Employees work lots of hours and have great parties (water fights? indoor sand volleyball? yes please!). Some companies have fun activities, but those activities are a smokescreen for not being actually committed to their employees. I felt genuinely appreciated, not least because my salary was quite competitive. Benefits: High deductible health insurance plan is expensive, but has good coverage. Holidays, sick leave, and PTO are generous.

Cons

The people on the ground are fantastic! Once you hit the Director level and above, though, you find a lot of passive-aggressive territorialism that divides the company and often leaves employees wondering which direction to follow. Collaboration is encouraged by some departments and discouraged by others. Supportive managers are offset by micro-managers. Some of the company leaders feel threatened by other leaders and do their best to bring them down. While the company says it is dedicated to work-life balance, I didn't find that to be the case in my department. I was expected to work nights and weekends on a consistent basis, not only as we prepared for important product launches. While some departments enabled work-from-home situations for times when kids were sick, others discouraged flexing time. One manager specifically told us that we shouldn't be thinking about our families during work hours and we shouldn't leave at 5pm, even if we had to pick up the kids at daycare by 5:15. Benefits: 401k matching is lousy. Health insurance takes a lot out of your pocket.

Advice to Management

Upper level management is seriously dysfunctional. While Ashish says that all he does is build teams, his own first team is a mess, and the directorial level is even worse. Many of these people feel threatened by others in the company and can be quite savage behind their backs. Creating a culture of collaboration and trust is difficult, but I believe that all the in-fighting holds Cricut back from its potential success. One key is to recognize the individual expertise of each person working there so that open, thoughtful collaboration can take place.

Sales

Former Employee - Sales in South Jordan, UT
    Former Employee - Sales in South Jordan, UT

I worked at Cricut full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Creative, fun products! Easy to sell when the products actually meet consumer demand and are on trend.

Cons

Quality control issues. New CEO lacking tact and compassion for dedicated, active employees. CEO has brought in many friends from the tech world who really don't get or even want to understand the craft industry. Also, most new execs won't commit to living in UT, but prefer to commute and build their resumes from afar. Product line is limited. Considerable emphasis is on paper cutting and crafting while this category is shrinking within the industry. Great products with potential to expand consumer base have been eliminated or shrunken - sad!

Advice to Management

Retain and develop your current employees. Require execs to live in UT.

3. Great product rough past

Former Employee - Sales
    Former Employee - Sales

I worked at Cricut full-time

Pros

New CEO has taken great pains to bring better culture to business.

Cons

Some of new people come in with big titles and little work ethic. There are still many silos that need to be broken down.

Advice to Management

Continue to build culture and try to bring everyone along for the ride. There are some that feel left out.

5. Fun work, Fun people

I worked at Cricut full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It's a fun industry, so the products were enjoyable to work on. I was pleased with the work I got to do, and felt good about my impact. I loved the people I worked with, and the company culture was friendly and decently flexible. There were plenty of office events to keep morale up, from holiday celebrations (Halloween was practically a play day) to product-release parties to March Madness to annual picnics. We worked hard and the company was pretty unified.

Cons

The workflow was disrupted fairly often as management and decision-makers changed direction on the product pipeline. My last year or so, things felt pretty unstable. There wasn't much opportunity for advancement.

Working and Helping

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in South Jordan, UT
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in South Jordan, UT

I worked at Cricut full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pay was great and you got to work with fun and friendly people.

Cons

Call center script. Strict rules and procedures. HR was only 1 person for the whole company.

Advice to Management

Get more HR people to help.

7. I have only worked here a week. So far, so good.

Current Employee - Senior Engineering Technician in South Jordan, UT
    Current Employee - Senior Engineering Technician in South Jordan, UT

I have been working at Cricut full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Location, location, location. Office is only 3 miles from home. Fun job working with hardware and software engineers. Testing and debugging new designs. Also repairing failed units. I like the product, it's a mixture of electrical and mechanical gadgets. HR has been very good. Flexible work hours.

Cons

Benefits are better than I expected but not as good as your average defense contractor.

8. Executive Team Drove Company Close to Financial Ruine

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Cricut full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Many great employees. Knew how to have fun. Creative place to work.

Cons

Moved to South Jordan, didn't need to. Executive team spent money on frivolous things. Too many people hired because they were friends/family with executive team members.

Advice to Management

Now that there is a new Executive team in place, I see good things happening.

9. While Provo Craft has come out with exceptional product, they disregard the talents of their employees.

Former Employee - Administrative in Spanish Fork, UT
    Former Employee - Administrative in Spanish Fork, UT

I worked at Cricut full-time (More than a year)

Pros

While I was at Provo Craft, my creative and administrative talents were honed to a higher degree. A lot of employees were fun to work with, and I learned a lot from the current creative team, some of which were extremely talented and knowledgeable.

Cons

While a lot of the employees were friendly, the other half were downright clickish and just mean. Their was a superiority complex among the creative leads at the time which was humorous to me, since none of them had graduated from college - they were basically uneducated people, who didn't care who they trampled on to climb up the ladder. Hold on, isn't that high school all over again? You don't need an education to work here, only a nasty attitude. Oh, and management led in that regard.

Advice to Management

Please remember that your employees are your greatest asset. A company is built upon the sweat and work of your labor force, not by entitlement.

10. Great if you like the rigors of call centers.

Pros

Decent starting pay, friendly and helpful co-workers, opportunity for overtime pay.

Cons

Inflexible, micro-managed, a bit click-ish and uninviting for newcomers, hard to change shifts.

Advice to Management

None

11. Good Company

I have been working at Cricut full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Innovative products and talented staff.

Cons

Benefits could use some improvment

RSS Feed </> Embed