Critical Intervention Services

Updated September 9, 2014
Updated September 9, 2014
3.8

K.C. Poulin

Better than any security agency I have worked for in Florida

Current Employee - SSG Protection Officer  in  Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - SSG Protection Officer in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Critical Intervention Services full-time for more than a year

Pros

Open door policy from the CEO all the way down to the supervisors in the field. Career opportunities are like no other, you come in to work security but can transfer into the different companies and every type of position you can think of and can transfer to other cities. Any type of training you can think of if you just ask for it. Great uniforms, great equipment, and supervisors and SR Management that actually care.

Cons

a ton of hours to work but if you like overtime its basically unlimited. No one has to work but those who want to get ahead and fast, they can.

Continue to care and get officers involved. Continue to encourage the field to give their input.

Great Concept, That's About It

Former Employee - Anti-Terrorism Officer  in  Largo, FL
    Former Employee - Anti-Terrorism Officer in Largo, FL

I worked at Critical Intervention Services full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Made great friends here who I hope to retain forever. The anti-terrorism concept and training were for the most part great.

Cons

Concepts alone don't make for a happy workplace. The Anti-Terrorism Officer division command staff, for most of the duration of my employment there, was corrupt, and promoted as such. It was Favoritism 101, and had nothing to do with actual ability or accomplishments. Kiss up to the leadership, maybe go drinking or golfing with them on the weekends and you are good to go for lush schedules and promotions. The schedule was written to accomodate a select few at each site while everyone else had to fend for themselves with night and weekend shifts. I had more than my share of night, weekend, and weekend night shifts. They don't care about your life outside of CIS. Period. I have seen officers fired before for not being able to come in and cover someone else's shift who called off. I have seen officers pressured to come in for work on a day off, EVEN WHILE INTOXICATED. That is unacceptable, and probably illegal. Nothing gets done because the big wigs at the top have connections in state government and skirt past shady allegations. And the rate that the client pays out to CIS for each officer per hour is insane for what the officer actually makes. Pretty much a 5:1 ratio there. Not worth it to make what you make there and be unappreciated at every level. They make you out to be an anti-terrorism super soldier when your not and also defy the gray area in many cases between secuirty and law enforement. Very dangerous in the liability sense. It is a SECURITY COMPANY. The lengthy review from a few weeks ago is correct. Please use extreme caution when applying to this place. They put the money into advertising to evoke that swag. Many new officers, fresh from the military and eager to have a job that allows them to retain some sort of paramilitary aspect in their lives, don't realize the warped business model at CIS until it is too late. I wish I could remember all the short comings of CIS HazOps Division but this is all for now.

Replace yourselves, learn the value of your employees that make your company money and project your image out in the field, reward officers for accomplishments and dedication and not personal favoritism. Learn how to schedule. Don't expose the troops to liability like you have for years, because one day the political equation will not be in your favor.

Great company

Former Employee - Anti-Terrorism Officer  in  Largo, FL
    Former Employee - Anti-Terrorism Officer in Largo, FL

I worked at Critical Intervention Services full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

cared about family/work balance great coworkers

Cons

long hours, hard schedule to work around not worth pay Very dangerous,

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

If you consider working here PLEASE DONT

Former Employee - ATO Officer
    Former Employee - ATO Officer

I worked at Critical Intervention Services full-time

Pros

Co-workers in the ATO division are some awesome people with experiences from everywhere. The command staff in the ATO division really try their best to help you in any way they can, but are limited as to what they can do and we try to take care of each other.

Cons

This is one of the absolutely worse companies I have ever worked for in my entire life, if I could give zero stars I would. Let’s start with the schedule. You find out your schedule one day before it comes out. It comes out on a Friday whenever they feel like posting it and that’s when you know if you’re working that very same Sunday. The work to life balance is nonexistent. The overtime is through the roof because so many people quit. You really have no life, work and sleep then work again that is your life. If you do have days off they often call you to pick up shifts and get angry with employees when people don’t answer their phones or don’t pick up shifts. The turnover rate is the highest I have ever seen or heard of, with many employees just quitting on the spot. Very few employees actually give two weeks noticed. The pay is super low for the amount of responsibility and liability officers are liable for. The client gets charged a huge markup per officer compared to what an officer actually gets paid. The company makes false claims on their website and they know how to sell the company well and it is all lies. They make you feel as though you are a part of something great and big and when you actually work there you realize how awful it really is. DO NOT FALL INTO THEIR TRAP. They often mess up employees pay and you need to constantly check your hours and pay rate to make sure they pay you correctly. I would question most of the positive reviews on this company because it is simply not true or legitimate. PLEASE DO NOT APPLY OR WORK FOR THIS COMPANY YOU WILL REGRET IT.

We have given advice to management and they have repeatedly done nothing to change things. The changes they have made are a slap in the face to ATO officers because they are not included in any of the changes, but they make you feel as though we should be so grateful for what they give us. This company is not going to last if things continue the way they do.

More than just a job

Current Employee - SSG Officer  in  Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - SSG Officer in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Critical Intervention Services full-time for less than a year

Pros

You can really work towards a career here, it's not just a job. You start at the bottom, but then you can work your way up through the ranks and get into higher paying positions. It is really a professional place, unlike a lot of other security companies I've come across. It hasn't really taken me all that long to advance and I really like what I do. If I don't end up in law enforcement, ventually I'm planning to become a K9 officer here at CIS, then maybe get into executive protection or even become an instructor down the road. Those types of positions just are not possible anywhere else you go in this industry.

Cons

I hardly ever get weekends off. Sometimes there's to much overtime. You can get burnt out. The SOP test was tough for me to pass. Other than that, it's been a really good experience.

More feedback on how we're doing, what we can do to improve and increase our chances at promotions and getting into the more specialized areas.

Practitioner focused employer who is focused on establishing change within the industry, starting with the employees.

Current Employee - Public Safety  in  Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Public Safety in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Critical Intervention Services full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Critical Intervention Services creates a team driven culture built upon the strong methodology that was established within the agency. You are able to establish a career track that can take you anywhere from a line protection officer, and promote into Command Staff. In addition to protection service opportunities, you are also provided with an opportunity to advance in CCTV systems, Operations, Investigations, becoming an instructor, IT, Human Resources or any other position under the KKP Security Group umbrella. The opportunities are endless if you work hard...

Cons

Medical benefits are always an issue no matter which agency you are working for in the industry. Also, there are a lot of positions that require you to work nights and weekends but then again, that is the industry....

Continue establishing strong leadership courses and listening to the officer in the field. Because CIS is not a traditional security agency, please continue to inspire us as employees, to continually strive in areas that make us unique. The CCBPI methodology that we use in our daily performance is life changing not only to those around us, but to us as employees. Thank you for the canvas to paint our place in this industry!

Professional paramilitary

Former Employee - SSG Officer  in  Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - SSG Officer in Tampa, FL

I worked at Critical Intervention Services full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good compensation and benefits compared to other private agencies, good equipment, plenty of hours, good training, A lot of very knowledgeable co-workers and supervisors from various fields. A lot of opportunity for growth....K-9, Investigations, vehicle patrol, FTO, Supervisors...

Cons

A lot of properties, sometimes you have to travel to Pinellas county to work.

Remember to continue to mentor those in the field, continue the training and teaching and importance of officer safety....

Felt like crying everytime I went to work.

Current Employee - Anti-Terrorism Officer  in  Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Anti-Terrorism Officer in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Critical Intervention Services full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

You got a slightly higher than minimum wage paycheck and all the overtime you wanted.

Cons

You won't ever have a steady schedule. The schedule runs Saturday through Sunday and you won't know your schedule until 5pm that Friday. You probably won't get the day off you requested and had approved. If your relief calls out, you stay until somebody shows up or you get fired. In the ATO division, you work with a group of guys that have the wrong attitude all around. You spend 12 hour shifts in a room the size of a bathroom with furniture that's apt to collapse at any moment. And you're expected to be ever grateful to your masters for having the opportunity to work there.

Ease up with the propaganda and the attitude of "us-against-the-world". You guys are security, not terrorist hunters.

CIS Staff is the Greatest Asset

Current Employee - Executive Assistant  in  Largo, FL
    Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Largo, FL

Pros

The Senior Management at CIS doesn't expect you to stay at an entry level position for long. From the day you start at CIS, you are given the training and tools you will need to advance to the position and/or department you're interested in.

Additionally, the staff here at CIS is very tight knit, making the work environment comfortable, friendly and exciting! We act more like a group of old friends and family than a group of co-workers, which makes teamwork effortless and second nature.

There are dozens of career paths here at CIS, especially when you expand your sight to CIS's sister companies. So whether you're an experienced pro in the security industry exploring new career opportunities or a wide-eyed kid right out of college looking for a first chance (like me), you will be able to find your place at CIS.

Cons

Our work doesn't end when we walk out the door. The security industry, much like the health care industry, never sleeps. There are times when you will get a call that must be addressed in the middle of the night, but it's to be expected, as CIS is a 24-hour operation. Furthermore, it's a small price to pay to work at a company with solid virtues and passionate practitioners.

Frequently we are reminded that we wouldn't be here without the protection officers in the field. As we continue to grow, let's make sure to continue to remember that. Our people are our greatest asset.

When your looking for more than just a security guard

Current Employee - Senior Supervisory Level  in  Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Senior Supervisory Level in Tampa, FL

Pros

As a long time employee of this agency it was clear to see early in my career with CIS we are not your stereo typical "security Guards" We are dedicated protection officers with a common goal, which is serving the communities we work and ensuring the quality of life for the residents is our priority. I have seen time and time again the diffrerence we make in the communities we serve, from communities victimized and intimidated by illegal activity to a community where the children can enjoy the playground and other ammenities and the parents have a sence of calm where we serve. For any one truly intertested in making a diffrence and serving in our surrounding communities, their no agency that compares to CIS and the good our officers do on a daily basis.

Cons

The scheduling can be a challenge to some as a majority of the communities we serve start early in the afternoon and continue to late in the morning hours.

Lets never forget why we are are the best in the industry, this is because the brave and dedicated officers that serve us and work these properties night in and night out.

Worked for Critical Intervention Services? Contribute to the Community!