Critical Intervention Services

Updated December 18, 2014
Updated December 18, 2014
3.8

K.C. Poulin

The best private sector public safety organization I have ever worked for

Current Employee - Protection Officer in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Protection Officer in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Critical Intervention Services

Pros

High standards for hiring with a series of testing and interviews you typically don't see outside of law enforcement positions. Great training through their own training school with outstanding instructors. Officers go through a candidate training program with secondary weapons training and an actual Field Training period. There are a lot of opportunities for growth into supervisory opportunities, K9, executive protection, School Protection Officer Program, Public Safety Officer Program, Anti-Terrorism and a lot of free training. They even have bonuses to take certain training that they provide. They have a dispatch center(operations center), issued radios, brand new patrol vehicles and always updating their equipment. There are a lot of opportunities for overtime as they are always expanding services. Its great that you can apply for a supervisor position as soon as 120 days in service after you take certain classes, exams and attend a promotion board. The supervisors are really supportive and want to help develop their officers. They really make it a place to become a real career or use as a stepping stone into law enforcement.

Cons

The work schedule can be very demanding with working some long shifts, weekends, holidays and nights. This is typical of the security industry.

Better than any security agency I have worked for in Florida

Current Employee - SSG Protection Officer in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - SSG Protection Officer in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Critical Intervention Services full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Open door policy from the CEO all the way down to the supervisors in the field. Career opportunities are like no other, you come in to work security but can transfer into the different companies and every type of position you can think of and can transfer to other cities. Any type of training you can think of if you just ask for it. Great uniforms, great equipment, and supervisors and SR Management that actually care.

Cons

a ton of hours to work but if you like overtime its basically unlimited. No one has to work but those who want to get ahead and fast, they can.

Continue to care and get officers involved. Continue to encourage the field to give their input.

Dec 17, 2014vp of operations

CIS is always actively seeking the input from all of its officers and employees. We realize that no person or company is perfect and mistakes can be made at times. We take pride in the fact that ... More

Great Concept, That's About It

Former Employee - Anti-Terrorism Officer in Largo, FL

I worked at Critical Intervention Services full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Made great friends here who I hope to retain forever. The anti-terrorism concept and training were for the most part great.

Cons

Concepts alone don't make for a happy workplace. The Anti-Terrorism Officer division command staff, for most of the duration of my employment there, was corrupt, and promoted as such. It was Favoritism 101, and had nothing to do with actual ability or accomplishments. Kiss up to the leadership, maybe go drinking or golfing with them on the weekends and you are good to go for lush schedules and promotions. The schedule was written to accomodate a select few at each site while everyone else had to fend for themselves with night and weekend shifts. I had more than my share of night, weekend, and weekend night shifts. They don't care about your life outside of CIS. Period. I have seen officers fired before for not being able to come in and cover someone else's shift who called off. I have seen officers pressured to come in for work on a day off, EVEN WHILE INTOXICATED. That is unacceptable, and probably illegal. Nothing gets done because the big wigs at the top have connections in state government and skirt past shady allegations. And the rate that the client pays out to CIS for each officer per hour is insane for what the officer actually makes. Pretty much a 5:1 ratio there. Not worth it to make what you make there and be unappreciated at every level. They make you out to be an anti-terrorism super soldier when your not and also defy the gray area in many cases between secuirty and law enforement. Very dangerous in the liability sense. It is a SECURITY COMPANY. The lengthy review from a few weeks ago is correct. Please use extreme caution when applying to this place. They put the money into advertising to evoke that swag. Many new officers, fresh from the military and eager to have a job that allows them to retain some sort of paramilitary aspect in their lives, don't realize the warped business model at CIS until it is too late. I wish I could remember all the short comings of CIS HazOps Division but this is all for now.

Replace yourselves, learn the value of your employees that make your company money and project your image out in the field, reward officers for accomplishments and dedication and not personal favoritism. Learn how to schedule. Don't expose the troops to liability like you have for years, because one day the political equation will not be in your favor.

Dec 3, 2014vp of operations

CIS strives to always correct any challenges or issues that are brought to the attention of Supervision or Management. CIS obsesses to maintain a Culture free from issues, drama or conflict ... More

Great company

Former Employee - Anti-Terrorism Officer in Largo, FL

I worked at Critical Intervention Services full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

cared about family/work balance great coworkers

Cons

long hours, hard schedule to work around not worth pay Very dangerous,

Dec 3, 2014vp of operations

One of our commitments to all officers is:

To keeping the organization free from unnecessary stress and conflict and maintaining a friendly and family-focused work relationship with our
    ... More

If you consider working here PLEASE DONT

Former Employee - ATO Officer
    Former Employee - ATO Officer

I worked at Critical Intervention Services full-time

Pros

Co-workers in the ATO division are some awesome people with experiences from everywhere. The command staff in the ATO division really try their best to help you in any way they can, but are limited as to what they can do and we try to take care of each other.

Cons

This is one of the absolutely worse companies I have ever worked for in my entire life, if I could give zero stars I would. Let’s start with the schedule. You find out your schedule one day before it comes out. It comes out on a Friday whenever they feel like posting it and that’s when you know if you’re working that very same Sunday. The work to life balance is nonexistent. The overtime is through the roof because so many people quit. You really have no life, work and sleep then work again that is your life. If you do have days off they often call you to pick up shifts and get angry with employees when people don’t answer their phones or don’t pick up shifts. The turnover rate is the highest I have ever seen or heard of, with many employees just quitting on the spot. Very few employees actually give two weeks noticed. The pay is super low for the amount of responsibility and liability officers are liable for. The client gets charged a huge markup per officer compared to what an officer actually gets paid. The company makes false claims on their website and they know how to sell the company well and it is all lies. They make you feel as though you are a part of something great and big and when you actually work there you realize how awful it really is. DO NOT FALL INTO THEIR TRAP. They often mess up employees pay and you need to constantly check your hours and pay rate to make sure they pay you correctly. I would question most of the positive reviews on this company because it is simply not true or legitimate. PLEASE DO NOT APPLY OR WORK FOR THIS COMPANY YOU WILL REGRET IT.

We have given advice to management and they have repeatedly done nothing to change things. The changes they have made are a slap in the face to ATO officers because they are not included in any of the changes, but they make you feel as though we should be so grateful for what they give us. This company is not going to last if things continue the way they do.

Dec 3, 2014vp of operations

As with all professions, sometimes it simply is not a good fit. Often times, people make a decision to enter into a profession they are not suited for and find it difficult to make another change ... More

More than just a job

Current Employee - SSG Officer in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - SSG Officer in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Critical Intervention Services full-time (less than an year)

Pros

You can really work towards a career here, it's not just a job. You start at the bottom, but then you can work your way up through the ranks and get into higher paying positions. It is really a professional place, unlike a lot of other security companies I've come across. It hasn't really taken me all that long to advance and I really like what I do. If I don't end up in law enforcement, ventually I'm planning to become a K9 officer here at CIS, then maybe get into executive protection or even become an instructor down the road. Those types of positions just are not possible anywhere else you go in this industry.

Cons

I hardly ever get weekends off. Sometimes there's to much overtime. You can get burnt out. The SOP test was tough for me to pass. Other than that, it's been a really good experience.

More feedback on how we're doing, what we can do to improve and increase our chances at promotions and getting into the more specialized areas.

Dec 3, 2014vp of operations

The Career Path opportunities at CIS is like no other in the Private Public Safety Industry and most other industries. The Executives, Command Staff and all Management spend countless hours of ... More

Practitioner focused employer who is focused on establishing change within the industry, starting with the employees.

Current Employee - Public Safety in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Public Safety in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Critical Intervention Services full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Critical Intervention Services creates a team driven culture built upon the strong methodology that was established within the agency. You are able to establish a career track that can take you anywhere from a line protection officer, and promote into Command Staff. In addition to protection service opportunities, you are also provided with an opportunity to advance in CCTV systems, Operations, Investigations, becoming an instructor, IT, Human Resources or any other position under the KKP Security Group umbrella. The opportunities are endless if you work hard...

Cons

Medical benefits are always an issue no matter which agency you are working for in the industry. Also, there are a lot of positions that require you to work nights and weekends but then again, that is the industry....

Continue establishing strong leadership courses and listening to the officer in the field. Because CIS is not a traditional security agency, please continue to inspire us as employees, to continually strive in areas that make us unique. The CCBPI methodology that we use in our daily performance is life changing not only to those around us, but to us as employees. Thank you for the canvas to paint our place in this industry!

Dec 3, 2014vp of operations

The following was created by the Executives and SR. Management to all employees of CIS:

We commit...
    For two decades, Critical Intervention Services has been providing superior security and
    ... More

Professional paramilitary

Former Employee - SSG Officer in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - SSG Officer in Tampa, FL

I worked at Critical Intervention Services full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good compensation and benefits compared to other private agencies, good equipment, plenty of hours, good training, A lot of very knowledgeable co-workers and supervisors from various fields. A lot of opportunity for growth....K-9, Investigations, vehicle patrol, FTO, Supervisors...

Cons

A lot of properties, sometimes you have to travel to Pinellas county to work.

Remember to continue to mentor those in the field, continue the training and teaching and importance of officer safety....

Felt like crying everytime I went to work.

Current Employee - Anti-Terrorism Officer in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Anti-Terrorism Officer in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Critical Intervention Services full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You got a slightly higher than minimum wage paycheck and all the overtime you wanted.

Cons

You won't ever have a steady schedule. The schedule runs Saturday through Sunday and you won't know your schedule until 5pm that Friday. You probably won't get the day off you requested and had approved. If your relief calls out, you stay until somebody shows up or you get fired. In the ATO division, you work with a group of guys that have the wrong attitude all around. You spend 12 hour shifts in a room the size of a bathroom with furniture that's apt to collapse at any moment. And you're expected to be ever grateful to your masters for having the opportunity to work there.

Ease up with the propaganda and the attitude of "us-against-the-world". You guys are security, not terrorist hunters.

Dec 17, 2014vp of operations

Proud to Work Here - The Best of the Best

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

Pros

This is a truly professional organization that is community minded, family oriented and gets results.
    There is an amazing camaraderie among all of the officers and employees. CIS is very socially responsible and genuinely cares about the communities that they serve. They are an extremely Veteran-friendly organization. Promotions are performance-based and advancement opportunities are plentiful. Top-notch training and resources. There is not a comparable organization out there.

Cons

It's a 24/7 operation, so scheduling can be a challenge.

Continue to provide the best training and technology resources in the industry. Stabilize the scheduling to achieve better work/life balance.

Critical Intervention Services Photos